ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
I don't have an agenda, don't watch fox news, don't care one way or another about carlson.

that story is about the wisdom of having a medical expert dictate public policy. a fair question, if you ask me.
Yes, this thread has made it very clear you don’t have an agenda.

Reactions: jmliehr
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Yes, this thread has made it very clear you don’t have an agenda.
Laughing
please quote my posts tipping my hand. I'm genuinely curious.

and, if you don't mind, please tells us if you agree with tucker carlson's message to the president (take COVID-19 seriously).

it's not so hard.

Not a doctor, but I have seen a ton of reports that lots of elderly who die are getting listed as dying from the coronavirus. It may be a negligible part of what caused them to pass, but it still goes on the statistics. They may be missing some of the other way as well. Clearly both sides have an agenda.

I believe that to some degree Trump trusts certain people to give him a real world perspective on what is going on. Presidents get hit on all angles from different view points from persuasive people. He had no doubt some people advising him that COVID-19 would die off like SARS did and never cause much of a problem here due to our different culture. Well it turns out that urban areas like New York aren't all that much different than Wuhan.
You talk about Trump as f he is a normal human being. He is not.

He’s probably more qualified than the President, not intended as a ringing endorsement.
He’s probably more qualified than the President, not intended as a ringing endorsement.
Tucker, in his present incarnation, is a right wing performance artist. He used to be a right leaning iconoclast. But he is not a malignant narcissist.

Reactions: headcard
Half as contagious, 10 times less likely to kill you, only one day max where an asymptomatic could give it to someone else compared to up to two weeks with COVID-19 and the flu is 10 times less likely to result in hospitalization whereupon you would have a much shorter stay. Oh and the flu doesn’t kill 50k every year. Other than that, good post.

I do find it funny people with some on here as well. Bash Trump for his handling of the Virus. When he mentioned stopping flights from China was called racist. He has been bashed from not listening to experts early on and yet Fauci is on record in january and early February stating that we should not be overly concerned with this Virus. Seems like Trump followed suit from that expert. Just because who Trump is he will never win. It's pretty funny

Ugh. This is the power/gamesmanship of politicians. Getting people to argue over taking a phone call and sidestepping the real issue. Which is, was it worth shutting down the entire economy for this?

Edit: You are all pawns and you are putty in their hands.

Last edited:
my only agenda is making @headcard admit he agrees with someone who (GASP!) might be on the other side of the aisle.

tucker carlson: take COVID more seriously

@headcard: crickets

this is the problem with party politics and always having to root for your team.

I do find it funny people with some on here as well. Bash Trump for his handling of the Virus. When he mentioned stopping flights from China was called racist. He has been bashed from not listening to experts early on and yet Fauci is on record in january and early February stating that we should not be overly concerned with this Virus. Seems like Trump followed suit from that expert. Just because who Trump is he will never win. It's pretty funny

There have been 40K arrivals from China since his “ban” took effect.

Ugh. This is the power/gamesmanship of politicians. Getting people to argue over taking a phone call and sidestepping the real issue. Which is, was it worth shutting down the entire economy for this?

Is the “entire” economy really shut down? Or are you politicizing and extrapolating? There is no playbook for this, the premise you propose is that if we just let people get sick and die then the economy will be “fine”. That’s not proven, it’s an agenda driven assumption. I don’t have the answers, but considering almost the entirety of the world is taking measures there probably a pretty damn good reason. Does that mean the response isn’t overkill? Not at all, it very well may be. Economics nor population health are exact sciences, we can’t replay the situation again and figure out who would do better.

Each side is making mistakes, humans are imperfect. The choice has been to protect life in hopes it gives us the best overall outcome from a human standpoint and an economic standpoint.

Carlson is FAR more qualified to advise the President than you are to say that he isn't. He worked for CNN for 5 years and then MSNBC for 3 years. He also was a print columnist for a national political newspaper. I get that you don't like Carlson. We don't get to pick the President's advisers.
Carlson is far more qualified to be president than the president. I think that is the issue.

30-60k with a vaccine, not being novel, and everyone going about their day as normal. An apples to apples comparison, Covid-19 would have been absolutely catastrophic. We are already at 10k in a month with social distancing, stay at home orders, restaurants closing, all events cancelled, all schools switching to online... I mean really think about it.. the amount of isolation going on, yet NYC hospitals are overwhelmed and struggling to keep up with the volume.

Covid-19 is much more deadly than the flu because it is much more transmittable than the flu (amplified by asymptomatics, no vaccine and no immunity (its novel, you've never had it, nor had anyone else)) combined by the fact that individuals that have a severe reaction to it take several weeks to recover... (not days as would be the case with the flu) that is a recipe for catastrophe.

Really think about it, everyone is at risk of catching it at any point in time and hospitals aren't capable of handling that kind of volume, not even close. That's why you need to stay home, stop comparing it to the flu (it isn't even close to apples to apples) and take this seriously.

Is the “entire” economy really shut down? Or are you politicizing and extrapolating? There is no playbook for this, the premise you propose is that if we just let people get sick and die then the economy will be “fine”. That’s not proven, it’s an agenda driven assumption. I don’t have the answers, but considering almost the entirety of the world is taking measures there probably a pretty damn good reason. Does that mean the response isn’t overkill? Not at all, it very well may be. Economics nor population health are exact sciences, we can’t replay the situation again and figure out who would do better.

Each side is making mistakes, humans are imperfect. The choice has been to protect life in hopes it gives us the best overall outcome from a human standpoint and an economic standpoint.

Less people are dying by a huge margin in comparison to the average for this time of year. This is not some super killer virus and every piece of evidence that is available at this point in time proves that point. This is the Great Overreaction. Assumptions were made and they were wrong. We shut down the entire western world and now politicians are figuring out how they can get out of this mess without being tarred and feathered. The cry now is going to be that the measures we took are working. Government should not be compassionate. The second you put 1 life over the lives of everyone else, you have failed. This whole 1 life is too many is ridiculous.

Reactions: bluenrg
If anyone really gives a shit that Trump took a phone call from Tucker Carlson you need to get some sort of productive hobby. Or, really, find anything at all to do outside of pissing and moaning about politics 24/7.

And this is coming from a guy that's still holding out great hope that I'll be able to vote for someone besides Trump in November.

Half as contagious, 10 times less likely to kill you, only one day max where an asymptomatic could give it to someone else compared to up to two weeks with COVID-19 and the flu is 10 times less likely to result in hospitalization whereupon you would have a much shorter stay. Oh and the flu doesn’t kill 50k every year. Other than that, good post.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8182767/Scientist-casts-doubt-coronavirus-spread.html

Finally getting some real data.

my only agenda is making @headcard admit he agrees with someone who (GASP!) might be on the other side of the aisle.

tucker carlson: take COVID more seriously

@headcard: crickets

this is the problem with party politics and always having to root for your team.

Sorry I couldn’t get back to you right away, I had to make the kids dinner (stay at home order has been fun). I did agree with those saying we should take Corona Virus serious back in January and I still do. Now do you believe the President should be taking political advice from TV personalities? Just because I agree with something someone has to say doesn’t mean they should have the ear of that most powerful man in the world. If you are OK with Carlson advising the President, I assume you would have been OK with Rachel Maddow calling up a President and advising him on policy?

You should also stop your political agenda BS. You have no idea what side of the isle I’m on. While some extremist, like yourself, show their political cards every chance they get, many of us live in a reality somewhere in between. For instance, you can admit the mistakes the President has made, without being a tree hugging liberal (or whatever derogatory term you prefer). You can also like individual qualities about the President, without believing he is perfect.

As I said earlier, I actually did vote for Trump in 2016, doesn’t mean I’ve drank the koolaide and can’t admit things like calling up A-Rod for advice, or getting advice from an infotainment star is foolish.

You are not going to change 2,000 years of Chinese culture by having 100,000 deaths. Its not like the USA where everyone has a refrigerator. Until their government gets on board this will / COULD be happening more often. That is why its important to bring back manufacturing into the USA especially for medical supply's and medications.
Amen brother! Hopefully whoever gets elected fixes that shit (I think Trump is only one with the balls to make them pay)!

Less people are dying by a huge margin in comparison to the average for this time of year. This is not some super killer virus and every piece of evidence that is available at this point in time proves that point. This is the Great Overreaction. Assumptions were made and they were wrong. We shut down the entire western world and now politicians are figuring out how they can get out of this mess without being tarred and feathered. The cry now is going to be that the measures we took are working. Government should not be compassionate. The second you put 1 life over the lives of everyone else, you have failed. This whole 1 life is too many is ridiculous.

Link for your baseless claim?

Show me NVSS data on March mortalities for 2020, would be interesting since most of 2019 is still considered provisional data.

Reactions: Eph97
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...s-vaccine-years-ago-then-money-dried-n1150091

Money, SARS and MERS were fairly well controlled and funding dried up.
I could’ve guessed as much, thanks for posting the link. With China being part of the global economy, we need to be more vigilant and get on this vaccine development and look to the next potential threat and start in on that one as well no way it would cost as much as the trillions we’ll pay for this covid mitigation.

Actually I agree completely with that. The difference is that Carlson didn't have the money or reality TV recognition to run. One thing is constant. It is EXTREMELY easy to criticize the President but extremely hard to actually do the job.

provisional data is still fairly accurate. Final numbers won't change much.

Sure, but there isn’t any for March 2020 yet. And it isn’t expected until October.

TBD 10/2020 Quarterly Provisional Estimates for Selected Indicators of Mortality, Q1 2019 – Q1 2020 Vital Statistics Rapid Release Report, Vital Statistics, Children’s Health, Chronic Disease/Elderly Health, Deaths/Mortality/Life Expectancy, Health Behaviors, Risk Factors

Last edited:
Actually I agree completely with that. The difference is that Carlson didn't have the money or reality TV recognition to run. One thing is constant. It is EXTREMELY easy to criticize the President but extremely hard to actually do the job.
Last part of last sentence. Maybe we should be more judicious in picking our President. Like not electing one who is obviously unqualified.

People die every year. 100s of 1000s. The real damage is being done now. Next time when it's something serious no one will listen. The longer this charade goes on to give you a false sense of security the longer people will be out of work and financially ruined.

Not the paper pushers who sit on conference calls all day or the academics or govt employees, but the ones already hurting, living paycheck to paycheck in lower wage jobs.

This is old news, but the "spike" in Corona is very real, in dense populations, it is a big killer. And if you assume China mislead everybody, then comparing it to flu was a bad analysis. I blame the Chinese for our initial comparison to flu-Cornona is far, far worse. Both in mortality rates and in how infectious it is overall.

You have to own this GBRforLife1. Man-up.

Of course, Nebraska shouldn't be as bad of an outbreak, there is a much less dense population and far fewer cases.

But look at some of these cruise ships as an example of how deadly this shit is. It's a real killer.

Look at cruise ships, populated regions of Italy and Spain, NYC, it's a real killer in dense populations.

The Chinese really f*((ed us with their bad data to begin with, looking at their curve, it was very flu-like IMO and only 3k deaths overall after an outbreak within that dense population in China? They are full of shit!

Is the “entire” economy really shut down? Or are you politicizing and extrapolating? There is no playbook for this, the premise you propose is that if we just let people get sick and die then the economy will be “fine”. That’s not proven, it’s an agenda driven assumption.

It absolutely has been proven - for the last 200 years.

But somehow you seem to keep pushing the idea that we wouldn't make it out of this scary China Virus and the only answer is to keep everyone home for months and the only jobs worth doing are those where people work from home and everyone else can be supported by the govt.

Which is crazily similar to your political agenda.

9/10 of your posts are agenda driven. You ignore everything that doesn't support your agenda and then accuse others of having an agenda. It doesn't get anymore hypocritical than that.

Should've went into politics instead of planning.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
It absolutely has been proven - for the last 200 years.

But somehow you seem to keep pushing the idea that we wouldn't make it out of this scary China Virus and the only answer is to keep everyone home for months and the only jobs worth doing are those where people work from home and everyone else can be supported by the govt.

Which is crazily similar to your political agenda.

9/10 of your posts are agenda driven. You ignore everything that doesn't support your agenda and then accuse others of having an agenda. It doesn't get anymore hypocritical than that.

Should've went into politics instead of planning.
What agenda is promoted through stay at home orders and/or social distancing?

Make yourself useful and explain why at this time of economic ruin, Iowa fans are still obsessed with Nebraska football..Iowa fans are the covid19 of college football fandom.

No one is talking about football in this thread. Try harder to stay on topic. You aren’t the least bit curious about this “ton” of reports he’s seen?

I'm really surprised we weren't more ready. Between the CIA and the age of information, we had to have had a better idea of what was happening in Wuhan. I'm sure the administration doesn't want to panic anybody, but they were caught asleep at the wheel. The Senator from Arkansas knew this was really bad.

Reactions: Flick2.0
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT