ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to thank you for being fair. Together we stand

I try to be.

He's going to take heat for this for sure... mostly from his base right now. Lots of upset folks in Breitbart right now about what this will do to the economy/caving to the deep state.

looking at his picture, I would be shocked if he didn't have both cardiac and pulmonary issues. Unfortunately lots of country acts in their 60s came up through the ranks of working in smokey honky tonks and have problems now related to that. If you worked in a bar for very long you might as well have been a 2 pack a day smoker.
Do you think people that have lived in heavily polluted areas like California, China, NY are more susceptible because long time exposure has hurt their lungs?

Reactions: dinglefritz
You seem like a troll but the maths are pretty simple....
70 million people in america over 60
25% infection rate for people over 60=14 million infected
10% death rate= 1.4 million dead
25% critical rate= 3 million on ventilators

250k dead would save 900k from death...I am not even counting the thousands under 60 who would die, and my infection rate is lower than projected as is the current death rate for that group. My numbers are best case. Pandemics are the literally the worst thing that can happen to world...famines and droughts are regional and awful, wars are pretty bad, but pandemics statistically kill more than anything else that humans have gone through.

Your numbers are garbage.

You have no idea the "infection rate" for people over 60.
You have no idea the "death rate"

All of that is a baloney guesstimate.

You tried to tell me 30% of people are asymptomatic.

Usually you do better.

In my town that is certainly true. Part of the problem is they have to eat and they don't have anybody to shop for them. I saw an old friend I hadn't seen in years at HyVee getting groceries. He's in his 70s, has Parkinsons, has had a heart attack and then a stroke and he's out getting groceries. Granted we haven't had a case yet but man. Hindsight I wished I had stopped him and told him to give me his list. I have called another old friend a couple of times and offered to get his groceries but he hasn't consented yet.
I think older people are stubborn because they think that they have been through so much already and that this is overblown. They’ve been through west nile, Zika, Swine Flu, Ebola, smallpox, etc. They probably think that since they made it through all that, this isn’t a big deal. My parents are elderly and just came back from wintering in Arizona recently. We got a shopping list from them so they wouldn’t have to go shopping when they got back. I asked them again the next week if they needed anything and they told me that they had already been to the store. I was like, “mom, you guys don’t need to go the the store” and they were like it was no big deal. It’s the way some of them are wired.

I try to be.

He's going to take heat for this for sure... mostly from his base right now. Lots of upset folks in Breitbart right now about what this will do to the economy/caving to the deep state.

I’m not a fan of his but I am proud of him in this instance. It was the right thing to do and he acted presidential by tuning out those in his base that (IMO) were being reckless with their desire to open things back up prematurely

False. Their plan calls for the same number of people to get it.

I was talking about deaths, man. I still don’t think you are getting the basics here. Draw a flat horizontal line. Now draw various bell curves. We want the bell curves with as little as possible above that flat line (the capacity of our healthcare system).

In scenarios in which our healthcare system breaks down mortality rate will soar. That is what we are trying to avoid.

According to Bill Bratton, former NYPD Commissioner, Wednesday set a record for most EMS calls in a day, surpassing 9-11. Currently, over 800 officers are confirmed Covid19 positive and >4600 are out sick (13% of force). Talk of bringing detective force into uniform to help fill shifts. NYPD has resources and the force to adapt, but if similar things happen elsewhere in US (where vast majority of police forces have < 25 officers) there could be big issues.

I've had extended family members in significant contact with people who have tested positive. They were tested and it came back negative.

Should precautions be taken for those most at risk? Sure. But this isn't near the death sentence the media or some medical personnel are making it out to be.

Lets use the treatments others are using to help people who have it get over it as fast as possible. We won't be able to save everyone, but we never were able to do that.

Nobody is saying it’s a death sentence. What we are saying is we have to protect our healthcare system. This virus is highly contagious and it is quite dangerous. That combination if unchecked could cause our HC system to fail. By fail I mean that it be made unable to meet it’s normal high standards. If it fails many people will die from CV and other ailments. Folks that could’ve lived if our kick ass HC system was able to operate at max efficiency.

Last edited:
I've had extended family members in significant contact with people who have tested positive. They were tested and it came back negative.

Should precautions be taken for those most at risk? Sure. But this isn't near the death sentence the media or some medical personnel are making it out to be.

Lets use the treatments others are using to help people who have it get over it as fast as possible. We won't be able to save everyone, but we never were able to do that.

I'll give you a cool story bro for that one and congrats to your fam for experiencing the pleasant side of the curve.

You don't have to trust in us, the liberal media ...just trust your President.

"This is a tough one because it spreads so quickly, like nothing we've ever seen." Trump said. "It spreads so quickly, so easily."

I was talking about deaths, man. I still don’t think you are getting the basics here. Draw a flat horizontal line. Now draw various bell curves. We want the bell curves with as little as possible above that flat line (the capacity of our healthcare system).

In scenarios in which our healthcare system breaks down mortality rate will soar. That is what we are trying to avoid.

The "flatten the curve" idea is one of the dumbest ones out there.

Because of America's geography the curve is already flatter. You people act like everyone is going to get it at the same time. That's already proven false.

Because of America's geography the curve is already flatter. You people act like everyone is going to get it at the same time. That's already proven false.
Yes, you are smarter than every scientist on planet earth. And FYI the same principle applies to individual areas as well, if we overwhelm the hospitals in any given town, city, county, state, we will have huge issues.

You clearly aren’t grasping the most basic concepts of epidemiology. I think your pride and desire to feel brilliant due to being contrarian has left you unable to understand some very basic ideas that are considered by all experts to be irrefutable.

As far as your comment about our geography naturally flattening the curve it’s simply not true. I can show you such in a few graphs but it wouldn’t change your mind.

I hope that your viewpoint is not too widely held. Bc if it is it puts all other Americans in greater danger.

Reactions: headcard
I'll give you a cool story bro for that one and congrats to your fam for experiencing the pleasant side of the curve.

You don't have to trust in us, the liberal media ...just trust your President.

"This is a tough one because it spreads so quickly, like nothing we've ever seen." Trump said. "It spreads so quickly, so easily."

Yet, it's likely only 20% of the population will get it and in my cool story the anecdotal evidence shows everyone doesn't get it.

I do like some of the the things Trump does, but that doesn't mean I hang on his every word. Especially when there is other evidence.

Yet, it's likely only 20% of the population will get it and in my cool story the anecdotal evidence shows everyone doesn't get it.

I do like some of the the things Trump does, but that doesn't mean I hang on his every word. Especially when there is other evidence.

Are you suggesting that your game of telephone with folks that were fortunate enough to be in the mild 80% proves anything at all?

I guess we all missed this “evidence” you have. Better let the CDC know you have discovered the truth. Too bad they don’t have the scientific knowledge of a random message board poster.

That's going to make it tough to get herd immunity when we need 60-70%+

Imo here lies the problem, as some point from the 1980’s to the present time it was ok to be filthy, you couldn’t be asked to leave a library or a grocery store of you were dirty and poor hygiene. That’s the biggest issue. We need to go back to dare I say shaming people to bathe brush their teeth. It not acceptable to be a bum/slob. Look I farm and I’ve gone to town for parts and I’ve been pretty ripe. But by gosh I shower at least once a do daily laundry brush my teeth. But never have I wore the same clothes for weeks upon weeks or no bathing for weeks. Just my two cents
I guess I wasn't alive in the 80's but I'm kind of doubting the standard of cleanliness was any better back then than it is now.

That's going to make it tough to get herd immunity when we need 60-70%+

Just like it made it tough to get herd immunity for H1N1 for which we never made it to even 40%, but with that we had no quarantines or social distancing or curve flattening.

It's almost like the people of America have been frightened into doing something different.

And look at that, a disproportionately higher number of people over the age of 65 impacted.

To calculate the burden of 2009 pandemic influenza A (pH1N1) in the United States, we extrapolated from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Emerging Infections Program laboratory-confirmed hospitalizations across the entire United States, and then corrected for underreporting. From 12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, we estimate that approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1. Eighty-seven percent of deaths occurred in those under 65 years of age with children and working adults having risks of hospitalization and death 4 to 7 times and 8 to 12 times greater, respectively, than estimates of impact due to seasonal influenza covering the years 1976-2001. In our study, adults 65 years of age or older were found to have rates of hospitalization and death that were up to 75% and 81%, respectively, lower than seasonal influenza. These results confirm the necessity of a concerted public health response to pH1N1.

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates_2009_h1n1.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
I guess we all missed this “evidence” you have. Better let the CDC know you have discovered the truth. Too bad they don’t have the scientific knowledge of a random message board poster.

As opposed to your, no evidence, just do what I say because that's what everyone else is doing, approach?

As opposed to your, no evidence, just do what I say because that's what everyone else is doing, approach?

To be fair, in over 40% of the country (it might be over half the country by now, I lose track) its legally mandated that we stay home.

You are certainly welcome to flex your 2nd Amendment rights and attempt to do some tree watering, but I don't think all those bored Trumpsters are going to let you overthrow him that easily.

Just like it made it tough to get herd immunity for H1N1 for which we never made it to even 40%, but with that we had no quarantines or social distancing or curve flatten
It's almost like the people of America have been frightened into doing something different.

And look at that, a disproportionately higher number of people over the age of 65 impacted.

To calculate the burden of 2009 pandemic influenza A (pH1N1) in the United States, we extrapolated from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Emerging Infections Program laboratory-confirmed hospitalizations across the entire United States, and then corrected for underreporting. From 12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, we estimate that approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1. Eighty-seven percent of deaths occurred in those under 65 years of age with children and working adults having risks of hospitalization and death 4 to 7 times and 8 to 12 times greater, respectively, than estimates of impact due to seasonal influenza covering the years 1976-2001. In our study, adults 65 years of age or older were found to have rates of hospitalization and death that were up to 75% and 81%, respectively, lower than seasonal influenza. These results confirm the necessity of a concerted public health response tohttps

influenza infections are spread out over 6 months - Oct thru March

this is hitting all at once - 6 weeks in NYC

This isn’t that hard for the vast majority of people to understand

You clearly aren’t grasping the most basic concepts of epidemiology. I think your pride and desire to feel brilliant due to being contrarian has left you unable to understand some very basic ideas that are considered by all experts to be irrefutable.

As far as your comment about our geography naturally flattening the curve it’s simply not true. I can show you such in a few graphs but it wouldn’t change your mind.

I hope that your viewpoint is not too widely held. Bc if it is it puts all other Americans in greater danger.

If the geography of the country and in effect, its dispersion of the population doesn't naturally flatten the curve then why aren't there the same amount of infected everywhere? All hospitals should be running out of supplies right? All the ventilators are used up?

The real danger is the people potentially losing their livelihoods, houses, retirements. Far more will be impacted by that than the virus. Unemployment checks and $1700 from the government isn't going to go far for the single moms already living paycheck to paycheck.

You guys claim to care so much about the greater good, but yet you're willing to destroy everything for those people.

Reactions: bluenrg
To be fair, in over 40% of the country (it might be over half the country by now, I lose track) its legally mandated that we stay home.

Except we're not. People can come and go from their houses as they please. The man from the govt is not standing at the end of the block asking to see your papers.

Still waiting on your "travel pass" information.

influenza infections are spread out over 6 months - Oct thru March

this is hitting all at once - 6 weeks in NYC

This isn’t that hard for the vast majority of people to understand

Ok so you shut up for another 4.5 months and then we'll come back to it.

The government has been violating peoples' rights long before the coronavirus.

Do you live in Nebraska?

Officials from the health department that oversees Sarpy and Cass Counties said Sunday that they plan to issue another health directive that will go into effect at midnight Tuesday, enforcing a 6-foot distance between people at gatherings or in businesses. If a 6-foot distance can’t be maintained, then the businesses must close.

“This includes, but is not limited to, tattoo parlors, massage therapy, barber shops and beauty/nail salons,” the department said.

The order will be in place until April 30, unless changed by officials.

“While we understand the hardship these restrictions put on dedicated, hardworking service professionals in our community, this is the right decision to help slow the spread of the virus,” said Sarpy County Board Chairman Don Kelly. “We highly encourage businesses to shut down as soon as possible, as we will begin enforcing this on Tuesday.”

again ... ever see these going up during your normal flu season ?

I mean, if the convention center now hospital, or the POTUS standing in front of a USN hospital ship didn't give it away....

lol

Yet, it's likely only 20% of the population will get it .

If 20% of the population gets it, and 1% of those individuals die....... How many deaths is that? In my head I am getting 600,000. That is a pretty significant amount of caskets for something that most were shrugging off a month ago.

Reactions: headcard
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT