ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife was a Hospice nurse in KC. She got out a month ago before all this craziness started going down. She works at a nursing home in a town of 1000.
If COVID-19 leaks in there, she'll be working in hospice all over gain. Kudos to her for doing a difficult job. Most hospital or nursing home quality of care is driven by nurses as much or more as the Drs.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
There is only a pure lockdown in a few places, in spain and italy, and that is after the cat has been let out of the bag and people have ignored basic and simple instructions. The moment that you shutdown places of business however I think you should go into a pure lockdown and coordinate food deliveries and only emergency outings. I hate the fact that so many people have lost their jobs, so many young people are missing out on education but we aren't willing to keep people from congregating at parks and in public. You either go full bore or not at all, these half measures are a drain on economy but aren't nearly effective enough as we saw in New York. They did half measures for weeks and they are still looking at many thousands of dead. This virus certainly spreads in open air space as well. A football game in northern italy likely infected thousands. The 6 foot distance sounds like fantasy because the virus can stay suspended...any gathering of people in an indoor location can leave enough virus suspended to make vulnerable people sick for hours.
The ability of the virus to reach a critical "minimum infective dose" in situations where you maintain the 6 ft zone is very limited. I guarantee you that every person at that soccer game violated that principle. The virus may remain airborne for a while but unless you're in a confined place for a fair amount of time with a shedder your risk is very low. Airflow and distance are important. . Pictures like the people standing in line at airport security is horrifying as far as transmission goes. Standing 6 feet away from someone who isn't coughing at you shouldn't worry anyone.

8344f96eb629f6e59d1ce5073a46d6521fafbdea.jpg

Harvard allowed some students to stay on campus in a dispersed housing arrangement. It was deemed that it was more economical and safer for them to remain on campus than return home. Granted many of them were international students. I suspect there are other universities with similar arrangements. Just because a university closes doesn't mean all of the students leave town. They may as well have some access to campus. Online learning sounds great until you can't get access to the required resources for an online class that a campus library can't provide online.

A lockdown isn't the answer IMO. Multiple epidemiologists have said if we can just get people to practice good hygiene and social distancing that is just as effective.
Imo here lies the problem, as some point from the 1980’s to the present time it was ok to be filthy, you couldn’t be asked to leave a library or a grocery store of you were dirty and poor hygiene. That’s the biggest issue. We need to go back to dare I say shaming people to bathe brush their teeth. It not acceptable to be a bum/slob. Look I farm and I’ve gone to town for parts and I’ve been pretty ripe. But by gosh I shower at least once a do daily laundry brush my teeth. But never have I wore the same clothes for weeks upon weeks or no bathing for weeks. Just my two cents

Imo here lies the problem, as some point from the 1980’s to the present time it was ok to be filthy, you couldn’t be asked to leave a library or a grocery store of you were dirty and poor hygiene. That’s the biggest issue. We need to go back to dare I say shaming people to bathe brush their teeth. It not acceptable to be a bum/slob. Look I farm and I’ve gone to town for parts and I’ve been pretty ripe. But by gosh I shower at least once a do daily laundry brush my teeth. But never have I wore the same clothes for weeks upon weeks or no bathing for weeks. Just my two cents
Problem in our society is that you would come up against some firm resistance. They would label you hygiene privileged and "setting an unhealthy, unrealistic expectation that isn't inclusive."

Just saw him a couple years ago at the Seward county fair.

RIP

I think he had heart issues for a while...he got old looking and fat pretty fast, something inside him wasn't right, corona finished the job it looks like. He was a throw back to amazing classic country, and not just the music, but the lifestyle and feeling that went with to. At least that's how he affected me anyway.

Personal responsibility is the Republican motto I hear so often. It takes a crisis and some middle class people impacted for them to come around I guess? Where are our corporate overlords? They’re getting bailouts, slashing jobs and salaries while having their stock prices saved by the Government

Maybe we should drug test bailout recipients before they get their check? Maybe we should criticize them if they drive a car that looks a little too nice. Maybe we should rage about how their choices put them in the trouble they’re in today and it’s not our problem to solve.
That's a large part of the reason they're stuck just in middle class or barely considered lower middle class is they spend so much of their time worried about what poor people do with their lives.

Kudos to the President for re-evaluating the social distancing measures as modeling comes in and well in advance of a previous target he had some political capital in.

Stocks are going to be down but this extension was clearly needed based on what we know.

Did he have congestion heat failure? I thought he had some type of heat ailment, not sure tho
looking at his picture, I would be shocked if he didn't have both cardiac and pulmonary issues. Unfortunately lots of country acts in their 60s came up through the ranks of working in smokey honky tonks and have problems now related to that. If you worked in a bar for very long you might as well have been a 2 pack a day smoker.

Reactions: bluenrg
Point here being, as more of us are infected, and those infected are no longer shedding the virus, their likelihood of getting it again is highly reduced.
As this goes on, theres simply less vectors, or people, for the virus to effect. The first signs of herd effect.
Tese folks can just live their lives, go to work, volunteer for helps etc.

It is the young - many with the attitude of - “meh - it’s just the flu” who are spreading this

the virus is clever in that it is using the demographic with the most idiots to spread the infection to the most vulnerable

I've seen just as many old people out and about without a care in the world. Old people are just as dumb as young people.

I've seen just as many old people out and about without a care in the world. Old people are just as dumb as young people.
Being out and about while keeping distance and proper hand cleaning, the risks are higher, the price to pay heavier if you get it, but reducing your chances..I've walked through fields of poisinous snakes.
If the grass had been low enough to see them, even those braver than me wouldn't have crossed it, but it saved a ton of time.

In my town that is certainly true. Part of the problem is they have to eat and they don't have anybody to shop for them. I saw an old friend I hadn't seen in years at HyVee getting groceries. He's in his 70s, has Parkinsons, has had a heart attack and then a stroke and he's out getting groceries. Granted we haven't had a case yet but man. Hindsight I wished I had stopped him and told him to give me his list. I have called another old friend a couple of times and offered to get his groceries but he hasn't consented yet.

They may very well be down on Monday but I’m not sure it’ll be bc if the guideline changes. There is a large contingent of smart money that was very concerned about opening things up too fast.

Yah I mean I'm not an expert trader or anything but the President did make a big deal about we need to open up the country soon or it'll be hard to save folks economically.

So I would imagine generally as the covid news continues to get worse and the economic news continues to get worse due to the restrictions it'll be hard for a large chunk of traders to keep pushing the market up.

It's hard to tell as well because the Fed.

Having to slow this,like posted above, comes stage two, slow movements of activity.
For most, it'll still be hunkering down, but things will start to open back up.

That inevitable coolision will come. Like, winter is coming, if you go outside as it get colder, you may get sick, but if you dont get enough crops and feed brought in and stored, you'll potentially die anyways.

I posted earlier, small businesses only have three months before they can't recover, thats 50% of them.
We're almost halfway through this.

Whether it was a Trump edit or a speechwriter looking out for him I like that when he gave the extension he didn't mention recovery in May.

If you look at the list of peaks by state a good chunk of states won't actually peak until later in May. So he has some wiggle room to extend again if need be and not move the "aspirational date" for recovery.

I actually expect him the extend this again... likely until memorial day. Maryland's peak isn't until May 20 I think...and if he opens before that he'll be fielding questions about why when half the people that work for him will be at peak corona.

I guess I said June earlier, so sticking with that. That doesn't mean everything opens back up, but assessments will be made one at a time.
People need to be called to see if they want to get back to work after assessments are made.
It'll start slow, but pick up speed.

Understand, this is non essential activities, like getting back to work thats not essential to keep us fed and safe. But as for football, it'll be assessed as one of the later activities.

Whether it was a Trump edit or a speechwriter looking out for him I like that when he gave the extension he didn't mention recovery in May.

If you look at the list of peaks by state a good chunk of states won't actually peak until later in May. So he has some wiggle room to extend again if need be and not move the "aspirational date" for recovery.

I actually expect him the extend this again... likely until memorial day. Maryland's peak isn't until May 20 I think...and if he opens before that he'll be fielding questions about why when half the people that work for him will be at peak corona.
I want to thank you for being fair. Together we stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT