ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaz36

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 2, 2005
I locked the other thread because it had really gone away from Covid 19 and had degenerated to regular politics. Let’s keep the discussion about the CV and the politics around that. I had to put a couple people on the sidelines for a while because of name calling. Let’s keep it on track and keep it civil.

Anxiety and fear' at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, where mission goes on
Bremerton, Washington
....The onsite workforce has been pared down substantially. There are 6,500 workers arriving daily — about 40% of the total workforce, according to Matt Bailey, a shipyard spokesman. Arrangements have been made for workers over 60 and those who are medically vulnerable to take leave or work from home. In an unprecedented move in the shipyard's 128-year history, more than 2,000 office workers are teleworking, and shifts have been staggered to reduce exposure.

...But there are certain spaces where social-distancing isn't possible. On a submarine, employees work in spaces so tight that "you can smell what your coworker had for breakfast," said one shipyard worker, who asked for anonymity.

All the while, the shipyard's mission continues.

Each of the six dry docks at the shipyard is filled with vessels Navy leaders say are critical to the country's defense. USS Michigan, one of the country's four cruise-missile submarines, is receiving upgrades and preservation work. USS Louisiana, one of the nation's 14 ballistic-missile subs, is undergoing a refueling of its reactor. In the largest of the shipyard's dry docks, an overhaul and modernization of the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier also continue, with work that includes preparations for the ship to carry the Navy's first squadron of F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters.

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/new...hington-covid-19-navy-puget-sound/2896302001/

Mobilizing the Ready Reserve. That hasn't been done in a long time I imagine. Korea maybe?

“This will allow us to mobilize medical disaster emergency response personnel to help wage our battle against the virus,” Trump said at a press conference Friday previewing the decision. "We have a lot of people, retirees, great military people, they're coming back in,"

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-pentagon-former-troops-coronavirus

I locked the other thread because it had really gone away from Covid 19 and had degenerated to regular politics. Let’s keep the discussion about the CV and the politics around that. I had to put a couple people on the sidelines for a while because of name calling. Let’s keep it on track and keep it civil.
Why don't we just warn the people who keep taking it that direction over and over and over? After a warning, block them. I don't understand continually locking threads only for them to keep being turned political by the same people.
If you have a rat problem you don't keep burning your house down. You just exterminate the rats.

Former student of mine was teaching in Madrid since last September. She was obviously on lockdown to the point where if they stepped outside they could face a fine. Anyway her teaching job ended last week so she was required to leave the country. Flew Madrid to LAX. Upon getting to LAX no special screening, temp check, nothing. Just go through customs, get your bags and be on your way. This is a little concerning. I know airports are stretched pretty thin right now but I would think incoming citizens from pretty much anywhere should face at least a little more scrutiny upon arrival.

Former student of mine was teaching in Madrid since last September. She was obviously on lockdown to the point where if they stepped outside they could face a fine. Anyway her teaching job ended last week so she was required to leave the country. Flew Madrid to LAX. Upon getting to LAX no special screening, temp check, nothing. Just go through customs, get your bags and be on your way. This is a little concerning. I know airports are stretched pretty thin right now but I would think incoming citizens from pretty much anywhere should face at least a little more scrutiny upon arrival.

Mayor Garcetti is all hat and no cattle.

Wonder how the people dealt with the Spanish flu in 1918? I saw picture of people including children wearing cloth masks

Damn libruls getting threads locked...
giphy.gif

he may very well be a shitty mayor but

TSA and Customs are federal agencies under the Dept of Homeland Security

Covid . . .

NOW, @headcard, in the prior post, you said:

"At the time, I was sick of the BS from the Democratic Party and Hillary represented everything wrong with it and politics. However, the idea that an “outsider” with no experience in gov at all should run the country was pretty misguided. We wouldn’t do that in any other field.

I think he didn’t take many aspects of the job seriously (like the corona virus). Just look at some of his cabinet decisions! I think he made little effort to unite the country together and has actually tried to divide people. I also think the war on the free press is dangerous. I had hoped he would have some fresh ideas, would energize and unite the country and would make an attempt to be presidential and would grow on the job. In hindsight, had we known a crisis would arise, maybe we should have elected someone with a knowledge base, connections, etc in gov and maybe that’s how we should vote, because you never know when we will need someone to make tough crisis time decisions."

Based on your history of posting, I have always considered you a reasonable and even-keel person, which is why your reasoning (as stated above) is so surprising to me.

Again, the Country (not politics) has done well under the administration, wouldn't you agree? Do you disagree that the Country has been growing and strengthening during this administration? Is this not a sign of his competency? Regarding the issue of divisiveness, wha? One, there is a party that will remain nameless that is consistently playing identity politics, which at its very core is designed to divide and label. Two, did you watch Trump at all leading up to the election? He clearly wasn't a "politician." He spoke his mind and didn't sugar coat much.

As someone said (jflores I think) Trump's approach is not one of comforting and consoling. Therefore, his approach to this Virus may appear to some as unsympathetic and disconnected; I get it. But I don't think that's the case - I think his mindset is essentially "we can get through this," no matter what it is, and to be positive and confident about our abilities, as opposed to screaming "the sky is falling!" It's not to give "false hope," but rather to instill a belief that we can get through it.

There is plenty that he has done that has been presidential. There's also some that has not been presidential (he tweets more than my teenage daughters, combined, and is sometimes as juvenile as them). Calling out the press is not a problem, doing it as often as he does is. He's got thin skin and is way too defensive. Also, Obama was by far the most arrogant POTUS . . . until Trump was elected.

The last 3 years have gone pretty damn well, despite everyone and their dog trying to take him down. Just imagine how well it could have worked had "they" been working on other stuff other than how to derail him? He pisses people off because he calls them out publicly. I wish he would stop. And for those who hate him because of his insensitive comments, their soon-to-be candidate wanted segregation and was against bussing - legit racist policies, so spare me the outrage.

There is zero proof that the pandemic would be markedly better under anyone else's leadership, but it is an opportune time for people to pile on.

I ask for people - regardless what letter they have next to their name (R or D) to clearly lay out what measurable metrics they will use to determine our country’s level of success.

I’ve seen the following:
- number of infections
- number of infections per million
- number of deaths
- survival rate
- economic stability
- consumer confidence (approval rate I guess)
- ability to flatten curve

I’m sure there are others. I ask that people just think through what they are and judge without loyalty (both ways) when this is done. Pretend it was Hillary as President - if she had the numbers, would you criticize or congratulate her? Take the same stance with Trump.

We sometimes get too wrapped up into defending or cheering on our guy/woman/team etc that we fail to look at things objectively.

It’s also okay to think the person you voted for is a good person and maybe made some mistakes along the way.

Covid . . .

"At the time, I was sick of the BS from the Democratic Party and Hillary represented everything wrong with it and politics. However, the idea that an “outsider” with no experience in gov at all should run the country was pretty misguided. We wouldn’t do that in any other field.

I think he didn’t take many aspects of the job seriously (like the corona virus). Just look at some of his cabinet decisions! I think he made little effort to unite the country together and has actually tried to divide people. I also think the war on the free press is dangerous. I had hoped he would have some fresh ideas, would energize and unite the country and would make an attempt to be presidential and would grow on the job. In hindsight, had we known a crisis would arise, maybe we should have elected someone with a knowledge base, connections, etc in gov and maybe that’s how we should vote, because you never know when we will need someone to make tough crisis time decisions."

Based on your history of posting, I have always considered you a reasonable and even-keel person, which is why your reasoning (as stated above) is so surprising to me.

Again, the Country (not politics) has done well under the administration, wouldn't you agree? Do you disagree that the Country has been growing and strengthening during this administration? Is this not a sign of his competency? Regarding the issue of divisiveness, wha? One, there is a party that will remain nameless that is consistently playing identity politics, which at its very core is designed to divide and label. Two, did you watch Trump at all leading up to the election? He clearly wasn't a "politician." He spoke his mind and didn't sugar coat much.

As someone said (jflores I think) Trump's approach is not one of comforting and consoling. Therefore, his approach to this Virus may appear to some as unsympathetic and disconnected; I get it. But I don't think that's the case - I think his mindset is essentially "we can get through this," no matter what it is, and to be positive and confident about our abilities, as opposed to screaming "the sky is falling!" It's not to give "false hope," but rather to instill a belief that we can get through it.

There is plenty that he has done that has been presidential. There's also some that has not been presidential (he tweets more than my teenage daughters, combined, and is sometimes as juvenile as them). Calling out the press is not a problem, doing it as often as he does is. He's got thin skin and is way too defensive. Also, Obama was by far the most arrogant POTUS . . . until Trump was elected.

The last 3 years have gone pretty damn well, despite everyone and their dog trying to take him down. Just imagine how well it could have worked had "they" been working on other stuff other than how to derail him? He pisses people off because he calls them out publicly. I wish he would stop. And for those who hate him because of his insensitive comments, their soon-to-be candidate wanted segregation and was against bussing - legit racist policies, so spare me the outrage.

There is zero proof that the pandemic would be markedly better under anyone else's leadership, but it is an opportune time for people to pile on.
He's done some things well and some things poorly, just like any president. The president has some influence over the country sure, but their impact can be overstated. The economy the last 3 years likely would have done well regardless who was President and coronavirus is showing it probably doesn't even matter. His response to coronavirus is probably pretty similar to any other potential leader, even though what he says to the media may be very different.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Why don't we just warn the people who keep taking it that direction over and over and over? After a warning, block them. I don't understand continually locking threads only for them to keep being turned political by the same people.
If you have a rat problem you don't keep burning your house down. You just exterminate the rats.
Because we are allowing politics to be discussed with this and it is hard to discern which exact post too it that way. Sometimes it just gradually goes off the rails and it’s time to start over with a little reminder that everyone can see. We’re not going to ban someone when we’ve given more rope. We will ban someone for name calling and threatening others though.

Reactions: husker2612
He's done some things well and some things poorly, just like any president. The president has some influence over the country sure, but their impact can be overstated. The economy the last 3 years likely would have done well regardless who was President and coronavirus is showing it probably doesn't even matter. His response to coronavirus is probably pretty similar to any other potential leader, even though what he says to the media may be very different.
Pretty much how I feel. We have no idea if anyone could have done better or done worse at handling this.

Covid . . .

I know Kaz doesn’t want this to turn into another political pissing match so this will be the last Trump post I make. I have always enjoyed talking with you over the years on this message board and I know that I am on the opposite of this issue with a lot of posters I genuinely like.

The economy, particularly the stock market had done well under Trump. It really turned around before he took office and his business first approach was a big factor in it continuing to grow. I was extremely disappointed in many cabinet appointments and the juvenile tweets, rallies and PC’s. Still, I would have definitely voted for him again, against Biden if the pandemic haven’t happened.

However, I think he never took this seriously and has completely botched this thing. It is early and I could be proven wrong, but I am afraid talking about Trump without mentioning his mismanagement of this will be like talking about Hoover without mentioning the depression or Nixon without mentioning Watergate. Time will tell, I guess.

One of the things I was trying to get at, is where do the most adamant Trump supporters draw the line? I know my “cult” comments got under the skin of @Hastings4Huskers, who I also genuinely like. But when I see people call negative reports fake news, make excuses for or deny his half-truths (trying to be nice), I wonder if there is ever a point that those individuals would admit he is wrong or may not be the person who should lead the country.

Last edited:
Covid . . .

To me the president is nothing more than catastrophic insurance. They aren't supposed to affect your lives unless an evil dictator invades europe, or the economy implodes, or nature acts in a historical way, or a pathogen breaks out uncontrollably. Local government is most important to our daily lives and it should be that way. The guy in Washington puts on a happy face, moves the chess pieces a bit globally, gets out of the way of the states unless they are impacting American's rights, and waits for really bad things to happen, hopefully with a set of tools in hand to fix it. Donald's likability and approval rating was in the low 30s but Hillary's was lower. We knew we elected somebody that most people didn't want, but what was the other option?

Reactions: headcard
I ask for people - regardless what letter they have next to their name (R or D) to clearly lay out what measurable metrics they will use to determine our country’s level of success.

I’ve seen the following:
- number of infections
- number of deaths
- survival rate
- economic stability

I’m sure there are others. I ask that people just think through what they are and judge without loyalty (both ways) when this is done. Pretend it was Hillary as President - if she had the numbers, would you criticize or congratulate her? Take the same stance with Trump.

We sometimes get too wrapped up into defending or cheering on our guy/woman/team etc that we fail to look at things objectively.

It’s also okay to think the person you voted for is a good person and maybe made some mistakes along the way.
I'd say Trump is doing an okay job at managing the coronavirus problem. Not great, but not terrible either. A great response would have been to shut down international travel immediately. There's people who have known about this since late December. The response to shut down travel from China was too late though it would have been politically unpopular at the time if he had shut it down sooner.

True, you don't want a national edict/law/rule coming from Washington, the local leaders need to step up too.
@mwulf , did your friend have special testing before entering the airplane? If so, wonder what our agreements are with these countries.
If not, this needs a change

he may very well be a shitty mayor but

TSA and Customs are federal agencies under the Dept of Homeland Security
But he can demand more himself, make quivk appeal to the governor etc.
It does seem a hunt n peck mode in cali, so far it seems to be working, until it doesn't

Covid . . .

The economy is stale, Trump targeted 3% GDP growth and only got 2.3% in 2019, any semblance of debt reduction or deficit reduction is gone. Wage growth is low, the stock market reflects massive debt issuance and stock buybacks driving the price hikes. We are having to bail industries out that have had years of record profits and failed to plan for the next rainy day.

With that said the market drop was coming anyway, the virus just spooked people to safer targets.

I’ve seen the following:
- number of infections
- number of deaths
- survival rate
- economic stability

Success? Have as much death reduction until the cavalry arrive.
We're surrounded at the alamo folks, lets make itthis time.

As for the political stuff, lets all leave room for our current or future leaders, good or bad, they too are in the alamo too

Virus-Outbreak-Kansas-59233.jpg

Live look at the overwhelmed hospital workers.

From Lawrence, KS.

More than 3,800 people have been tested for the coronavirus in Kansas. Roughly 3,600 of those test results have come back negative. About 70% of the cases have been tested by private labs in the state.

That's about 94% of those tested have come up negative. They only test people with symptoms.

But he can demand more himself, make quivk appeal to the governor etc.
It does seem a hunt n peck mode in cali, so far it seems to be working, until it doesn't

I guess he was foolish to forget that unless the federal government (TSA and customs) is reminded to do their job it is unlikely to fulfill its role.

Much like the massive log jam at customs after we closed travel from Europe and no one at Homeland Security had the foresight to imagine that a huge influx was going to go through customs in the subsequent 24-48 hrs

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
I'd say Trump is doing an okay job at managing the coronavirus problem. Not great, but not terrible either. A great response would have been to shut down international travel immediately. There's people who have known about this since late December. The response to shut down travel from China was too late though it would have been politically unpopular at the time if he had shut it down sooner.
Thanks. So do you have measurable metrics that help you define success?

Virus-Outbreak-Kansas-59233.jpg

Live look at the overwhelmed hospital workers.

From Lawrence, KS.

More than 3,800 people have been tested for the coronavirus in Kansas. Roughly 3,600 of those test results have come back negative. About 70% of the cases have been tested by private labs in the state.

That's about 94% of those tested have come up negative. They only test people with symptoms.
I'm 40 min from Lawrence. Glad I'm in a flyover state

Reactions: headcard
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT