ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife usually sees 25 or so pulmonary patients/day in clinic. Last week one day she saw 4 but put in a 10 hour day with 90% of it on the phone. Then there were the normal hospitalized vent patients to deal with. Of course she doesn't get paid for phone consultations but she's doing it to try to help her patients. They've cut hours dramatically for staff and the first quarter physician draw was eliminated. More large hospital system takeovers coming to a town near you.
Trump is looking at bonuses, not sure how it applies, but it's for healthcare workers.
This is a forced result, so, it's possible.

Perspectives on the Pandemic Episode 2: In this explosive second edition of Perspectives on the Pandemic, Professor Knut Wittkowski, for twenty years head of The Rockefeller University's Department of Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Research Design, says that social distancing and lockdown is the absolutely worst way to deal with an airborne respiratory virus. Further, he offers data to show that China and South Korea had already reached their peak number of cases when they instituted their containment measures. In other words, nature had already achieved, or nearly achieved, herd immunity.

He claims it takes 80% to receive herd immunity, SARS and MERS didn’t get anywhere close to that, yet they went away.

Why is this “expert” right and the others are wrong? Where is his model showing the timeline it takes to get to 80%? What would be the death toll?

Your position is we’re better off to let people die than do anything to try to slow the spread? When has that theory ever been allowed to happen or tested?

Early he says if we do nothing, it comes for two weeks, peaks for two weeks then is gone. Like really? We can just get 300 million people infected in a month and be done?

He moves on to say he believes China’s numbers are valid, it’s very hard to keep that information secret.

Then he says that we would peak at 25,000 infections per day for weeks, with 10% requiring hospitalization. He even says 2% of all symptomatic cases will die.

So if we need approximately 300 million cases for herd immunity, and 1/3 of those were symptomatic and then 2% of those die, we get, 2 million deaths by his “logic”.

So we need 80% for herd immunity, but a few weeks totaling 350k infections and we’ll magically be over?

I thought academics and models were the problem? But this one guy has it right?

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
1. Then we disagree.
2. You have, multiple times.
3. Who knows what you're going to claim, you can't do math.
4. All your arguments are void if you're going to use less than the best info. Purposely using the wrong information is idiotic. It also sounds like retarded modelers who contributed significantly to this mess. So it is incompetence.
1v2. Why would I need to? Straw man much? In case you haven't noticed, no matter what that moron in New York screams on the tv, we have enough ventilators.
2v2. There is no sacrificing. No one needs to go into the volcano. It's natural selection. People die every day. But again another bullshit straw man argument.
2) No, I haven't. Feel free to quote back to me where I did.
3) You seem to be into calling out what you think is disingenuous. You basically made a disingenuous comment by assuming that I'd claim that 9 million people will die. Also.... show me how my math is/has been wrong. At least one other poster on here has challenged you to do so, and yet you won't.
4) Then you tell me what model I should be using. You seem to think I should pay more attention to a hack on a college football message board instead of actual doctors, analysts, etc....despite you not actually offering any projections of your own. I guess it's just easier to be a carnival barker....

Regarding natural selection.....I don't know how or why you think there's enough ventilators going around....plenty of actual doctors (you know, the people having to actually deal with this, instead of spending their time on a college football message board griping about how they're all wrong) are saying this is a problem...but whatever.

I'll ask a different way....which people you care about are you prepared for "natural selection" to take from your life for the sake of the economy? My father and an aunt are below the average life expectancy, and are immuno-compromised. They are very healthy and active otherwise (dad is 73, and was playing pickleball 2-3 times a week until this, plus a torn meniscus, occurred; aunt is 70 and hikes and canoes). I am not willing to see "natural selection" take them for the sake of the economy. You do know that it is very possible that you or someone that you think is safe from this virus has an underlying condition, right? This virus has killed or nearly killed some pretty healthy people.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
1) No one is acting holier than thou. Don't mistake me disagreeing with you for that.

2) I wasn't, and have not, said that we'd be choosing who is going to die. However, I do believe that this situation could turn into that without some measures taking place.

3) Nor was I going to claim that 9 million are going to die. You really need to calm the f*** down.

4) I realize that we have asymptomatic people around. They're also the ones that are most likely going to get others sick. To me, we need to operate under the numbers we have. I'd rather error in that direction than in the direction you seem to prefer.

I am going to ask you the same thing I have asked others, and haven't gotten an answer on.....

1) Let's say you catch C19, and due to an underlying condition you are unaware of, you are in rough shape. Are you willing to pass up the use of a ventilator? I'm just wondering, because you have a very flippant attitude about the people that get seriously ill.

2) Are there people that you care about that you're willing sacrifice for the sake of the economy? Feel free to list them for us (title only...no names).
First, understand, anyone could have been asymptomatic,and over the virus, and not carrying it.
They will infect no one.
Second, with serology testing about to happen, we can eliminate a symptomatic people by testing for virus as well.
Hitting it from both ends will allow us to chase down infections and contacts, it shrinks the viruses world, as those continue to shelter in, while immune go about their business.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
2) No, I haven't. Feel free to quote back to me where I did.
3) You seem to be into calling out what you think is disingenuous. You basically made a disingenuous comment by assuming that I'd claim that 9 million people will die. Also.... show me how my math is/has been wrong. At least one other poster on here has challenged you to do so, and yet you won't.
4) Then you tell me what model I should be using. You seem to think I should pay more attention to a hack on a college football message board instead of actual doctors, analysts, etc....despite you not actually offering any projections of your own. I guess it's just easier to be a carnival barker....

Regarding natural selection.....I don't know how or why you think there's enough ventilators going around....plenty of actual doctors (you know, the people having to actually deal with this, instead of spending their time on a college football message board griping about how they're all wrong) are saying this is a problem...but whatever.

I'll ask a different way....which people you care about are you prepared for "natural selection" to take from your life for the sake of the economy? You do know that it is very possible that you or someone that you think is safe from this virus has an underlying condition, right? This virus has killed some very healthy people.
Yes, I am going to continue to believe a family friend....who is a PA and working at a large hospital in NYC....regarding what is going on. She says there is a ventilator shortage. She is working bedside, in NYC, not anyone on this board.

I only wonder whether or not it was a "perfect" call.

I've often wondered about that phrase. Do you think it meant he manually dialed the President of Ukraine's number (or A-Rod's, for that matter), and dialed it correctly the first time? I envision him using an old rotary phone, and, upon hearing that it went through, exclaiming, "Perfect!!"
Hmmmm

South Korea had a bit different strategy. Heavy testing, tracking, tracing and the widespread use of masks by everybody helped get it in check quickly at the start. The new cases have been stabilized between 50 to 100 per day for a while now. The recent push for heavier social distancing is the result of their fear of it reigniting in the Seoul area. And that seems to be the endgame until there is an actual vaccine or bona fide successful treatment available.

He claims it takes 80% to receive herd immunity, SARS and MERS didn’t get anywhere close to that, yet they went away.

Why is this “expert” right and the others are wrong? Where is his model showing the timeline it takes to get to 80%? What would be the death toll?

Your position is we’re better off to let people die than do anything to try to slow the spread? When has that theory ever been allowed to happen or tested?

Early he says if we do nothing, it comes for two weeks, peaks for two weeks then is gone. Like really? We can just get 300 million people infected in a month and be done?

He moves on to say he believes China’s numbers are valid, it’s very hard to keep that information secret.

Then he says that we would peak at 25,000 infections per day for weeks, with 10% requiring hospitalization. He even says 2% of all symptomatic cases will die.

So if we need approximately 300 million cases for herd immunity, and 1/3 of those were symptomatic and then 2% of those die, we get, 2 million deaths by his “logic”.

So we need 80% for herd immunity, but a few weeks totaling 350k infections and we’ll magically be over?

Glad you watched it and not me.
Stating china held the numbers below new yorks, well, hope xi sends the check.

Yes, I am going to continue to believe a family friend....who is a PA and working at a large hospital in NYC....regarding what is going on. She says there is a ventilator shortage. She is working bedside, in NYC, not anyone on this board.
Then she needs to call her governor, he either can fix it or use it.
So far, crickets.

We've had one pandemic with only partial infos, the spansih flu, while a war was raging.
Anyone who claims to be an expert is actually a walking talking theorist.

How can you take the word of a family friend and PA in NYC over GBRforLife1, and all of his expertise?

Reactions: headcard
South Korea had a bit different strategy. Heavy testing, tracking, tracing and the widespread use of masks by everybody helped get it in check quickly at the start. The new cases have been stabilized between 50 to 100 per day for a while now. The recent push for heavier social distancing is the result of their fear of it reigniting in the Seoul area. And that seems to be the endgame until there is an actual vaccine or bona fide successful treatment available.

South Korea also closed schools and pushed work from home. They didn’t lock down beyond that, but their economy is still in the crapper.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...rus-but-economy-remains-paralyzed-11586180838

South Korea’s COVID-19 confirmed casesskyrocketed from 31 to 5,328 in just two weeks, as of March 4. To limit mobility and human contact, the government has encouraged people to stay home, company offices that are at risk to be closed and public venues and events be canceled. All schools that should have started a new semester on March 2 are now postponed...

Yet with clusters of fresh infections still popping up, South Koreans remain on edge, with many hesitant to readopt their old routines of shopping, dining out and meeting friends.

The country’s consumer-confidence index has fallen to its lowest level since March 2009, according to South Korea’s central bank. Air travelers last month sank to one-sixth of January’s level. Many people still work from home.

We've had one pandemic with only partial infos, the spansih flu, while a war was raging.
Anyone who claims to be an expert is actually a walking talking theorist.

Hey we actually do agree on something!

We need better data, we need better models. Trust in experts and models have been eroded, much rightfully so. I won’t go so far as to say we ignore science moving forward as that would be back into the dark ages, but we have to get better as a society.

Hey we actually do agree on something!

We need better data, we need better models. Trust in experts and models have been eroded, much rightfully so. I won’t go so far as to say we ignore science moving forward as that would be back into the dark ages, but we have to get better as a society.
Trusting them isn't my point, hasn't been for awhile.
We are moving past much of their helps ,as we're nearing our potential to stay put.

I can get italy,new york, where you can see those refers filled with bodies etc.
But much of the country doesn't have those reminders, that level of loss.
We can only hold our breath so long, before more and more take foolish chances.

Add to that the protein testing, granting some freedom, while others have to wait.

The helps testing for antibodies will be a double edhged sword.

South Korea also closed schools and pushed work from home. They didn’t lock down beyond that, but their economy is still in the crapper.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...rus-but-economy-remains-paralyzed-11586180838

South Korea’s COVID-19 confirmed casesskyrocketed from 31 to 5,328 in just two weeks, as of March 4. To limit mobility and human contact, the government has encouraged people to stay home, company offices that are at risk to be closed and public venues and events be canceled. All schools that should have started a new semester on March 2 are now postponed...

Yet with clusters of fresh infections still popping up, South Koreans remain on edge, with many hesitant to readopt their old routines of shopping, dining out and meeting friends.

The country’s consumer-confidence index has fallen to its lowest level since March 2009, according to South Korea’s central bank. Air travelers last month sank to one-sixth of January’s level. Many people still work from home.

Yes, they did to some extent. They cancelled big events, concerts, sports, schools, etc. But many people still work every day and they weren't doing the 6 foot thing until 2 weeks ago. They all have an app on their phone and text messaging to alert them to when they came into possible contact with a suspected infected person. My wife's company temperature checks them 3 times daily. Her colleague had a slight fever, had to go to a clinic right away. Got tested and cleared and was back to work the next day.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Sometimes,yes.
So are all the other outlets reporting this fake too? I’m sure at some point Trump will deny it or call the question nasty and then you can run with that. Honestly, if we can’t admit reaching out to ARod for advice on dealing with Covid-19 is ridiculous we have hit a new low.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
Where are your thoughts and analysis? Or do you not have any? Provide counterpoints. I tried to watch the first video, the guy seems off his rocker and his numbers don’t make sense.

Well the first scientist's point, where you got lost in the numbers, was :

“People are trying to flatten the curve, but I don’t really know why. What happens when you flatten the curve is you also widen it, and it takes more time. I don’t see a good reason for a respiratory disease staying in the population for longer than necessary.”

“Maybe we will see a total fewer number of cases, however, we will see more cases among the elderly because we have prevented the school children from creating herd immunity. In the end we will see more deaths... so we will see more deaths because of social distancing.”

Not saying there aren’t other potential helpful drugs. But HCQ has been effective. Yes some possible side effect can be stomach issues but not death. Many countries that have HCQ for malaria have very low numbers of Covid-19 cases, see Africa
I've been in Africa a few years ago. In much of Africa the malaria parasite is resistant to cholorquine. "Chloroquine" or what is sold as chloroquine is widely sold in what passes for pharmacies. Most of the time it isn't chloroquine or is adulterated with other things and doesn't contain near the chloroquine that is effective. Perhaps there are genetic reasons for resistance in Africa but I think that more likely that Africa is a disaster waiting to happen. There is little health care as we would think of it and virtually no reporting to follow something like this. Death is an everyday occurrence. People dying of covid symptoms would be nothing unusual. Chloroquine is not a benign drug. It inhibits protein degradation in the lysosome, a major catabolic pathway in all cells. It amazes me that it is as benign as it is. "Evidence" is mostly anecdotal. Yes, some people given chlorquine or hydroxychloroquine have recovered but most people do recover. Theoretically, there is reason to think it should work but many beautiful theories have been destroyed by ugly facts.

“People are trying to flatten the curve, but I don’t really know why. What happens when you flatten the curve is you also widen it, and it takes more time. I don’t see a good reason for a respiratory disease staying in the population for longer than necessary.”

“Maybe we will see a total fewer number of cases, however, we will see more cases among the elderly because we have prevented the school children from creating herd immunity. In the end we will see more deaths... so we will see more deaths because of social distancing.”

And I could link more evidence and scientists that would counter his opinion. Social distancing has been used long before this outbreak with success in preventing deaths.

I see very little argument that social distancing to slow infections so we can keep hospitals running and limit deaths works, there is obviously an argument if that causes more impact via economic disruption that has been beaten to death by many of us here, including myself.

So are all the other outlets reporting this fake too? I’m sure at some point Trump will deny it or call the question nasty and then you can run with that. Honestly, if we can’t admit reaching out to ARod for advice on dealing with Covid-19 is ridiculous we have hit a new low.
I wouldn't go to him. But everything else was good. But denying my choice, in comes the second opinion.
Getting the other drug, I admit, dont know the side efeects etc, but I'd like both choices.

yeah his statement was exptremely dense and just looking for a reason to muddy the waters. He has bought nothing to the covid topic he is just bashing Trump. That has been all his talking points. Pretty embarrassing.
Yes how dare I use his word and actions against him, totally out of line. I did provide a reference for the “extremely dense” statement you have such an issue with. But I’m sure you would rather ignore that and keep insulting anyone that isn’t reciting Breibart day and night.

First, his model is off. Second, the longer we take, the more time we buy for a treatment to keep from intubation.
Third, there's going to be a second wave, as we can't reach herd count, he must never leave cities.

Reactions: jmliehr
I mean, Meryl Streep was apparently a world leading authority on alar, so nothing really has changed.
Hey, the little witch said Biden needs to be heard about his rape, just can't be trustin those women alone ya know.
No principles tells you alot about people.

How does it apply to her story? Oh, and if the hospital tries something, they're toast.
It's a ripe story guaranteed it has a personal price tag on it for any 'journalist ' who can find one like this.
Today she reported that an email was sent out to all staff....an email she said was threatening....that staff are to not discuss what is going on inside the hospital, lack of equipment etc. Discuss as in social media postings, talking to media etc.

Well

Well, if el gato malo says it, it must be true.

My apologies.

Do you have any substance to add or just BS disingenuous straw man arguments and incorrect math?

By all means provide your evidence. You haven't yet. We're more likey to get the china virus than you are to provide something useful.

First, his model is off. Second, the longer we take, the more time we buy for a treatment to keep from intubation.
Third, there's going to be a second wave, as we can't reach herd count, he must never leave cities.

How is it off? You've seen the "flatten the curve" graphs right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT