ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
ILI52_small.gif
We are in week 13 I believe
Your graph shows the number of cases shooting through the roof during the holidays which is expected. Just because last year's curve was at baseline at week 15 doesn't mean this year's curve will be. This has been a bad flu season in at least our neck of the woods. They're still seeing lots of influenza at our local clinic and hospital. I'm sure especially with the social distancing that cases are declining but my wife is still getting consults for people due to influenza.

Saw this posted elsewhere

Imagine if 10 years ago you were approached by a time traveler and he was like "look, I don't have much time to explain, all I can tell you is that the year 2020 is going to be an absolute circus. You know Donald Trump, the star of the apprentice? Well he's the president of the United States and at the beginning of 2020 he gets into a Twitter beef with Iran that almost starts world war 3. Australia catches on fire and a woman tries to save it by selling pictures of her boobs. Kobe Bryant passes away in a helicopter crash. Half the world is devasted, the other half just makes messed up memes. A little time passes and just when the world starts recovering from the loss of Kobe some dude in China eats a raw bat and starts a global pandemic that specifically kills maw maw's and paw paws. Everyone loses their minds. 40% of the population thinks it's the end of the world another 40% thinks it's all fake and 20% blames the whole thing on cell phone towers and Tom Hanks kids. The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the only way to survive is by hoarding toilet paper. Grocery stores are ransacked and Charmin ultra soft essentially replaces the dollar as the United States official currency. Eventually as hysteria grows, world governments are forced to shut the entire planet down and lock everyone in their houses and the only person that can keep the people from completely flipping out and starting a huge riot is a gun toting homosexual Oklahoma man with a meth addiction and 180 pet tigers...

We're a ways away from worrying about doing serology to ascertain population immunity. Right now we have too much to do trying to take care of sick people whether it's from CV or other issues. I doubt the "mystery flu" was CV. Maybe in late December and early January that would have been possible but not before that. We would have recognized in hindsight the lung lesions radiographically IMO. I think it is likely we had cases here in late very late December that weren't diagnosed.

What I know about western medicine is they tend to overlook unusual pneumonias...my wife and I had the same pneumonia this fall, one doctor said it was bacterial and another said it was viral...I got antibiotics, my wife didn't. It eventually went away...one day at work I almost passed out for a lack of breathe but I had a dry cough for 6 weeks after that...I don't think I had CV but it just shows how blaise our healthcare system is about diagnosing things. They just pump out the treatment and don't care about virus, bacteria or what...I remember the nurse saying.."this is so weird that so many young people are getting pneumonia"...oh well". I understand that there are weird x-rays with CV...but a western doctor wouldn't likely recognize it as SARS-like as the Chinese did... remember the first case in China was November 17th!

Saw this posted elsewhere

Imagine if 10 years ago you were approached by a time traveler and he was like "look, I don't have much time to explain, all I can tell you is that the year 2020 is going to be an absolute circus. You know Donald Trump, the star of the apprentice? Well he's the president of the United States and at the beginning of 2020 he gets into a Twitter beef with Iran that almost starts world war 3. Australia catches on fire and a woman tries to save it by selling pictures of her boobs. Kobe Bryant passes away in a helicopter crash. Half the world is devasted, the other half just makes messed up memes. A little time passes and just when the world starts recovering from the loss of Kobe some dude in China eats a raw bat and starts a global pandemic that specifically kills maw maw's and paw paws. Everyone loses their minds. 40% of the population thinks it's the end of the world another 40% thinks it's all fake and 20% blames the whole thing on cell phone towers and Tom Hanks kids. The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the only way to survive is by hoarding toilet paper. Grocery stores are ransacked and Charmin ultra soft essentially replaces the dollar as the United States official currency. Eventually as hysteria grows, world governments are forced to shut the entire planet down and lock everyone in their houses and the only person that can keep the people from completely flipping out and starting a huge riot is a gun toting homosexual Oklahoma man with a meth addiction and 180 pet tigers...
That is the funniest thing I have ever read and every word of it is true!

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Meh. It's just the Democratic primary and the fix was in a long time ago. Just like the last presidential democrat primary. Just go ahead and declare Biden the winner and by the time November rolls around we'll be able to have socially distanced elections.

I think you are as old as me? Not that Trump isn’t up there, but remember 84 when Dems made an issue of Regan’s age? Biden? Laughing

What I know about western medicine is they tend to overlook unusual pneumonias...my wife and I had the same pneumonia this fall, one doctor said it was bacterial and another said it was viral...I got antibiotics, my wife didn't. It eventually went away...one day at work I almost passed out for a lack of breathe but I had a dry cough for 6 weeks after that...I don't think I had CV but it just shows how blaise our healthcare system is about diagnosing things. They just pump out the treatment and don't care about virus, bacteria or what...I remember the nurse saying.."this is so weird that so many young people are getting pneumonia"...oh well". I understand that there are weird x-rays with CV...but a western doctor wouldn't likely recognize it as SARS-like as the Chinese did... remember the first case in China was November 17th!
You have to understand that most uncomplicated viral pneumonias not caused by influenza have no treatment. I'm surprised they didn't test you for influenza. You also have to realize that some people were getting tested for generic CV before this all broke. The Dr. in China realized something was up because he was seeing a BUNCH of cases that didn't fit the normal influenza and such AND it had a different radiographic pattern. IF you're in California, my impression of California medicine is not very favorable having had a couple of family members either live near LA or get sick there. People in Nebraska don't appreciate the level of care they get compared to some of the urban areas.

I've been saying this for some time. Corona viruses can withstand a lot and we'll have reservoirs of virus in asymptomatic carriers walking around all summer. There will outbreaks that happen after weddings, funerals, etc all summer long IF we stop the social distancing deal.

I am a little suspicious about the real contagious nature of Covid-19...always have been...the first case reported was in Wuhan, November 17th 2019, that means the virus was in a city of 11 million for 100 days before the lockdown...Hubai has 54 million in one province. Either the # of asymptomatic is extremely high or the virus struggles to get going...even a 5% infection rate in Hubai in those 100 days would have been 1 million cases...we saw 80k...we also know that 100k viral particles for 1ml of fluid is not enough for the viral to sustain replication...so it needs a massive amount of viral load to be successful...so...it has been effective in extremely dense areas with very careless people, a lot of smokers, and old men. Of course once the viral mass in a region is very high it can begin to sicken younger people. I believe summer, social distancing, tb vaccine and treatments will knock the severity down dramatically...but will we have serology tests and know who is immune by next october?

You have to understand that most uncomplicated viral pneumonias not caused by influenza have no treatment. I'm surprised they didn't test you for influenza. You also have to realize that some people were getting tested for generic CV before this all broke. The Dr. in China realized something was up because he was seeing a BUNCH of cases that didn't fit the normal influenza and such AND it had a different radiographic pattern. IF you're in California, my impression of California medicine is not very favorable having had a couple of family members either live near LA or get sick there. People in Nebraska don't appreciate the level of care they get compared to some of the urban areas.
I was negative for influenza...it as also september when I got it...i don't believe it was covid because a ton of teenagers and youngish people were knocked out by it too but who knows...China doesn't know...and it didn't "start" in the wet market.

I think you are as old as me? Not that Trump isn’t up there, but remember 84 when Dems made an issue of Regan’s age? Biden? Laughing

They are saying Bidens only job is to stay alive. I don't think he even needs to do that. In a pinch they could shuffle Hilary or even Coumo in if this goes far enough south for The Donald.

They are saying Bidens only job is to stay alive. I don't think he even needs to do that. In a pinch they could shuffle Hilary or even Coumo in if this goes far enough south for The Donald.

His job is to get elected with Hillary as his running mate, then resign or mysteriously die. Laughing

Reactions: RedMyMind
Biden is an Alzheimers patient too far gone.

Hillary is a CRIMINAL and should be hung for all of her ordered hits and deleting emails.

Cuomo? Who the F is that?!?!

Overall... Biden knows his constitution... and how we got.. that THING!! THE THING THE THING!!!!

I believe that I have expertise in this SARS-CoV-2 virus/covid-19 epidemic that can rival anyone on this board (and, no, I can’t bench press 400 lbs. while simultaneously running a 4.5 forty like some here claim). Dinglefritz is knowledgeable and he has communicated a great deal of good information. I agree with most of what he has said. There are a couple of points that I’d like to make. Unfortunately, the first one may be interpreted to be political when it isn’t. I’ve stayed out of this because I hate the political “discussions” on this board that wind up dominated by the extremists on both sides whose goal seems to be who can do the most hurtful name calling. The first point that I want to make is that the first and foremost duty of any government is to ensure the safety of its citizens. This is why we spend so much money on our military. This is why the military spends a lot of time, effort, and money trying to anticipate and be prepared for a worst-case scenario. It should be no different when it comes to potential epidemics, pandemics, tornadoes, hurricanes, fires, or floods. It is the duty of authorities at every level to be prepared for a worst-case scenario. This has nothing to do with a “nanny state”. Second point: there is more we don’t know about this virus than we do. The direst of predictions could be wrong, that this is nothing worse than seasonal flu is certainly wrong but, if we are to err, it is best to err on the conservative side rather than risk the consequences. Third point concerns herd immunity. The bare minimum of infected/recovered individuals in a population necessary for herd immunity to be effective is 60-70%. For a highly infectious virus like measles herd immunity isn’t effective until 90-95% of the population is resistant. For SARS-CoV-2, the weight of evidence thus far appears to say that the virus is pretty damn infectious, in part, because of its stability. We need more data before solid predictions can be made. Last point: it is early yet but there is some indication that social distancing is having an effect. The hope is that hospitals won’t get overwhelmed if we flatten the exponential curve. The mathematical simulations don’t say you won’t get it, in fact, without long term extreme social distancing or a vaccine, you probably still will get it. It just may postpone it long enough that you will be able to get care and a hospital bed and respirator, if necessary. The link has highly simplified but informative simulations of the effect of social distancing. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Thanks to all who bothered to read all the way through this.

I believe that I have expertise in this SARS-CoV-2 virus/covid-19 epidemic that can rival anyone on this board (and, no, I can’t bench press 400 lbs. while simultaneously running a 4.5 forty like some here claim). Dinglefritz is knowledgeable and he has communicated a great deal of good information. I agree with most of what he has said. There are a couple of points that I’d like to make. Unfortunately, the first one may be interpreted to be political when it isn’t. I’ve stayed out of this because I hate the political “discussions” on this board that wind up dominated by the extremists on both sides whose goal seems to be who can do the most hurtful name calling. The first point that I want to make is that the first and foremost duty of any government is to ensure the safety of its citizens. This is why we spend so much money on our military. This is why the military spends a lot of time, effort, and money trying to anticipate and be prepared for a worst-case scenario. It should be no different when it comes to potential epidemics, pandemics, tornadoes, hurricanes, fires, or floods. It is the duty of authorities at every level to be prepared for a worst-case scenario. This has nothing to do with a “nanny state”. Second point: there is more we don’t know about this virus than we do. The direst of predictions could be wrong, that this is nothing worse than seasonal flu is certainly wrong but, if we are to err, it is best to err on the conservative side rather than risk the consequences. Third point concerns herd immunity. The bare minimum of infected/recovered individuals in a population necessary for herd immunity to be effective is 60-70%. For a highly infectious virus like measles herd immunity isn’t effective until 90-95% of the population is resistant. For SARS-CoV-2, the weight of evidence thus far appears to say that the virus is pretty damn infectious, in part, because of its stability. We need more data before solid predictions can be made. Last point: it is early yet but there is some indication that social distancing is having an effect. The hope is that hospitals won’t get overwhelmed if we flatten the exponential curve. The mathematical simulations don’t say you won’t get it, in fact, without long term extreme social distancing or a vaccine, you probably still will get it. It just may postpone it long enough that you will be able to get care and a hospital bed and respirator, if necessary. The link has highly simplified but informative simulations of the effect of social distancing. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Thanks to all who bothered to read all the way through this.
You bring up stability, so should we be careful about touching our packages? I say it like that in jest, but more seriously, is it concerning that warehouse workers who are processing packages, which are distributed all around the country, are testing positive? Estimates are that the virus survives anywhere from 4 hours (on copper) to 72 hours (on plastic), with survival rates on cardboard being somewhere around 24 hours. Presumably after factoring in transit time a package sitting on the porch in direct sunlight won't be contaminated for long, but the contents inside are pretty well insulated and protected from UV. I'm not overly concerned, but I did let my stuff I got delivered yesterday sit inside the box an extra day just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
The choices aren't great. But the Russians could have picked someone better than Trump.
putin-trump-helsinki-meeting-funny-reactions-26-5b4f2f590651a__700.jpg

An Obama voter referring to Trump as a pussy? Have mercy. If you’re going to pick a fight, at least pick one you have better than zero % chance of winning. I’m so sick of peoples inabilities to just think and not throw shit against the wall hoping something sticks. Try again junior.

A person walked down the street and gets virus on their shoe...it is no longer exposed to u.v...they walk into their house, the virus sits on the carpet...their 2 year old touches it, incubates it for a few days, gets a 1 hour fever and then infects the rest of the house including grandma...nobody knew where it came from...it is obvious the virus is unusually contagious...the data is pretty clear...
I really enjoy your ingormative posts in regards to viruses at the molecular level.
Can you and/or @dinglefritz talk a little about "viral load" and how that affects this particular strain? Again, if you can focus on the molecular level, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
An Obama voter referring to Trump as a pussy? Have mercy. If you’re going to pick a fight, at least pick one you have better than zero % chance of winning. I’m so sick of peoples inabilities to just think and not throw shit against the wall hoping something sticks. Try again junior.
Clearly I struck a nerve. Try the "ignore" button if you can't handle it.

You bring up stability, so should we be careful about touching our packages? I say it like that in jest, but more seriously, is it concerning that warehouse workers who are processing packages, which are distributed all around the country, are testing positive? Estimates are that the virus survives anywhere from 4 hours (on copper) to 72 hours (on plastic), with survival rates on cardboard being somewhere around 24 hours. Presumably after factoring in transit time a package sitting on the porch in direct sunlight won't be contaminated for long, but the contents inside are pretty well insulated and protected from UV. I'm not overly concerned, but I did let my stuff I got delivered yesterday sit inside the box an extra day just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: jrhuskerdad
Your graph shows the number of cases shooting through the roof during the holidays which is expected. Just because last year's curve was at baseline at week 15 doesn't mean this year's curve will be. This has been a bad flu season in at least our neck of the woods. They're still seeing lots of influenza at our local clinic and hospital. I'm sure especially with the social distancing that cases are declining but my wife is still getting consults for people due to influenza.
True, but 8 years, and I'm sure if it went back further, similar results. Not saying it'll be completely gone, but the history shows its almost quartered in April.

Just positive news in the amounting task the health care system is taking on.
I would wager people not getting hurt will improve, less driving, dangerous jobs etc, those emergencies should be reduced as well.

I really enjoy your ingormative posts in regards to viruses at the molecular level.
Can you and/or @dinglefritz talk a little about "viral load" and how that affects this particular strain? Again, if you can focus on the molecular level, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
But, the precious libs are calling it the "Trump Virus"... that way they can blame him for feeling bad too!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Among the risk factors packages or mail is probably among the lesser but having said that I have been spraying down the exterior of boxes that are delivered and spraying or wiping the contents insofar as possible. I've even made sure to let the mail sit in the mailbox for a day before I pick it up. I wash my hands after handling mail or deliveries. It's not foolproof but it is the best I can do. Don't count on UV from the sun. Basically germicidal wavelengths (UV-C) are all absorbed by the ozone layer, along with 95% of UV-B otherwise we'd be crispy critters in minutes. Yes, exposure to the environment will take its toll on virus but it isn't foolproof. Bovine papillomavirus supposedly can survive for a couple of years on a barbed wire fence before the next cow that scratches itself on the same barb will get infected. Probably the best piece of advice is to wear disposable gloves as much as possible when you are out and about, especially when pumping gas.Take them off as soon as you are in your car or wipe down anything you touch inside your car while wearing those gloves with an appropriate disinfectant. Spray your shoes and surfaces they have touched in the car then leave them in your garage or outside your house, if possible. I'll admit, I probably wouldn't be this careful on my own but the missus insists that she wants to keep me around for reasons that mystify me and once all this becomes part of your routine it doesn't seem so terribly onerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT