Covid 3/16

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Been a while since I've done this, but we're basically at the 1 year anniversary for when Covid really became a huge part of our lives.

This time last year there was less than 100 deaths (total, not for the day...it was 22 that day). The conference basketball tournaments were just cancelled and I was thinking, "Well, we should be fine by the time the CWS rolls around" <--- LOL...This time last year I was starting a new job...little did I know that two days later they would tell me to go work from home "for a little while" (and I'm still WFH now).

So some perspective:
In March 2020 we had 4,113 deaths (about 61k in April). On January 12th, 2021 we had 4,518 (worst on record). We had almost 100k in January 2021 alone.
At the end of March 2020 25,914 people had tested positive. Just a few days ago we passed 30,000,000.
1.9M people went to the hospital for Covid, 550k didn't survive....so far. Hopefully we're nearing the end.

I don't really have a point in mentioning those things other than it was just kind of interesting to me to think back. As we take stock of what is really the deadliest pandemic in American history (I still puke a little when I hear a mouth breather say, "buh it has a 99% survival rate") and one of the worst the world has ever seen, where and how did it all begin and how did we react is an interesting discussion for sure.

The question I probably have is...if it happens again, how do we avoid making it political so we can rally together instead of fighting each other?

Alright...on to today's numbers:
Vaccine Doses Administered: 110,737,856
% of Population with at least 1 dose: 21.7%

Deaths
Prev Week: 1,727
Today: 1,248 (27.7% drop)

Cases
Prev Week: 55,880
Today: 53,231 (5.7% drop)

Hospitalizations
Prev Week: 40,212 (March 7th)
Today: Unknown (The Covid Tracking project stopped collecting new data on march 7th)...but it's pretty consistently gone down 10% every week.

Considering at it's peak we had 132,474 people hospitalized, 40k is a much needed relief. If I had to guess, it's probably down around 30-35k now.

No doubt we are on the tail end of all of this. Thank God. If we can continue on this aggressive vaccination path and the mutations don't go to a bad place, there's no reason mid summer won't be a time of "closeness" that we all probably need. But it's also worth remembering...we're still getting more daily deaths than the spike last summer.

On thing as a reminder...the path for this has always been remarkably consistent. Waves in cases = waves in hospitalizations = waves in death. If there's any better proof (other than the countless stories of real people) that you need to believe the numbers are legit, it's that. If we were inflating case numbers, hospitalizations wouldn't increase. And if hospitalizations were fiction (probably the least likely off all of them considering the scrutiny and reporting they have to go through) then the deaths would be missing.

Every step of the way...spike in cases leads to more deaths and hospitalizations in the following weeks. Like clockwork.

Spring spike, summer/fall spike, winter spike...1 right after another.
image.png

image.png

image.png

cavalot

Head Coach
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2003
Great write up. Not sure how it all became so politicized but I have to believe that had we had a president who grasped, then braced the severity of the pandemic, encouraged his followers to do the same, and modeled a proactive approach to dealing with the pandemic we might not be in this political quagmire about covid that we are currently in.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Great write up. Not sure how it all became so politicized but I have to believe that had we had a president who grasped, then braced the severity of the pandemic, encouraged his followers to do the same, and modeled a proactive approach to dealing with the pandemic we might not be in this political quagmire about covid that we are currently in.
We have a lot of evidence (including audio recordings) that he grasped that it was a big deal...he just didn't want to publicly admit it and he didn't like that they were ruining his "Greatest Economy Ever"

whiteshoes97

Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Been a while since I've done this, but we're basically at the 1 year anniversary for when Covid really became a huge part of our lives.

This time last year there was less than 100 deaths (total, not for the day...it was 22 that day). The conference basketball tournaments were just cancelled and I was thinking, "Well, we should be fine by the time the CWS rolls around" <--- LOL...This time last year I was starting a new job...little did I know that two days later they would tell me to go work from home "for a little while" (and I'm still WFH now).

So some perspective:
In March 2020 we had 4,113 deaths (about 61k in April). On January 12th, 2021 we had 4,518 (worst on record). We had almost 100k in January 2021 alone.
At the end of March 2020 25,914 people had tested positive. Just a few days ago we passed 30,000,000.
1.9M people went to the hospital for Covid, 550k didn't survive....so far. Hopefully we're nearing the end.

I don't really have a point in mentioning those things other than it was just kind of interesting to me to think back. As we take stock of what is really the deadliest pandemic in American history (I still puke a little when I hear a mouth breather say, "buh it has a 99% survival rate") and one of the worst the world has ever seen, where and how did it all begin and how did we react is an interesting discussion for sure.

The question I probably have is...if it happens again, how do we avoid making it political so we can rally together instead of fighting each other?

Deaths

Cases

Hospitalizations
Today: Unknown (The Covid Tracking project stopped collecting new data on march 7th)...but it's pretty consistently gone down 10% every week.

Considering at it's peak we had 132,474 people hospitalized, 40k is a much needed relief. If I had to guess, it's probably down around 30-35k now.

No doubt we are on the tail end of all of this. Thank God. If we can continue on this aggressive vaccination path and the mutations don't go to a bad place, there's no reason mid summer won't be a time of "closeness" that we all probably need. But it's also worth remembering...we're still getting more daily deaths than the spike last summer.

On thing as a reminder...the path for this has always been remarkably consistent. Waves in cases = waves in hospitalizations = waves in death. If there's any better proof (other than the countless stories of real people) that you need to believe the numbers are legit, it's that. If we were inflating case numbers, hospitalizations wouldn't increase. And if hospitalizations were fiction (probably the least likely off all of them considering the scrutiny and reporting they have to go through) then the deaths would be missing.

Every step of the way...spike in cases leads to more deaths and hospitalizations in the following weeks. Like clockwork.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Guessing case-hospitalization-death trend will start looking different as the elderly and vulnerable are being vaccinated at a disproportionate rate

Jim14510

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
Bit extreme for a virus that only killed .1% of the population.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017

So some perspective:

Deaths

Cases

Hospitalizations

image.png

image.png

image.png
Why is the hospitalization chart the tallest? Can't have more hospitalizations than cases.

Hardlyboy

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2011
Why is the hospitalization chart the tallest? Can't have more hospitalizations than cases.
Different source. First two charts are from Worldometers and hospitalizations is Covid Tracking Project. So Y axis is different.

Reactions: 94husker

94husker

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2014
I hope masks come back to schools and most places come next November. It’s pretty obvious they work to prevent the spread of the flu and the common cold. This is the first winter I didn’t have any employees stay home due to either of those.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Bit extreme for a virus that only killed .1% of the population.
That might be the dumbest thing you've ever posted here and it's creeping up on .2% of the population.

It's still the deadliest virus the US has ever seen. Technically 1912 flu killed 600k (we're at 550k) and a lower population, but that was over 2 years instead of 1 and significantly less medical capabilities.

If this virus was around in 1912, it would have wiped out way way more.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
I don't get what you're driving at. The fact that there are 3 humps around the same times indicates that they're all tied, are you somehow arguing it doesn't?
No. I was just making a stupid joke about the hump being tallest on hospitalizations so it must be the biggest number. However, it can't be the biggest number because cases have to be higher. I'll take a lap.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
That might be the dumbest thing you've ever posted here and it's creeping up on .2% of the population.

It's still the deadliest virus the US has ever seen. Technically 1912 flu killed 600k (we're at 550k) and a lower population, but that was over 2 years instead of 1 and significantly less medical capabilities.

If this virus was around in 1912, it would have wiped out way way more.

(I still puke a little when I hear a mouth breather say, "buh it has a 99% survival rate")

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
No. I was just making a stupid joke about the hump being tallest on hospitalizations so it must be the biggest number. However, it can't be the biggest number because cases have to be higher. I'll take a lap.
Well I didn't recognize the humor font

H2Oman

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2001
Maybe it’s just me, but a lady my wife works with lost her 60-year old dad today. Took a chance and went golfing a few weeks ago and wore no mask. Totally healthy and So close to the vaccines, I find this heartbreaking. My only point is 1-2% matters when it’s you or yours.

franzix

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 25, 2003

I think I'm getting better at detecting your jokes, 'cause I suspected a guy named "jimmy numbers" would get things about numbers.

There is an answer, though, in case someone else comes along that things you weren't joking: you only die once, and most people have only been a case statistic once, but the average hospital stay in Nebraska a few months ago was approaching 18 days.

It's like an integral in calculus, or something.

LandoPower

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2018
Maybe it’s just me, but a lady my wife works with lost her 60-year old dad today. Took a chance and went golfing a few weeks ago and wore no mask. Totally healthy and So close to the vaccines, I find this heartbreaking. My only point is 1-2% matters when it’s you or yours.

Would have died with mask or no mask

H2Oman

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2001
Would have died with mask or no mask
K - glad you got that out of the post. I don’t talk masks with Cult members and masks were not key to referenced post. My last sentence is pretty specific, to wit:
“My only point is 1-2% matters when it’s you or yours.”

Give reading a try - it’s old school but kind of neat.

Reactions: 94husker

DRay827

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2016
Lincoln, NE
I hope masks come back to schools and most places come next November. It’s pretty obvious they work to prevent the spread of the flu and the common cold. This is the first winter I didn’t have any employees stay home due to either of those.

I know I'll continue to wear a mask when my regular work travel resumes. Hopefully the last year will prompt people to stop and think when they feel a cold or sickness coming on. If you have the ability to work remotely or have sick time available, there's no reason people should "tough it out" if your workplace contains a large number of people.

Swallowing your pride and taking a day or two is so much better than potentially passing it on to others and amplifying the loss of productivity at your organization.

Reactions: 94husker and H2Oman

H2Oman

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2001
Hmmm. Don’t know if this resonates with our religious right friends. Perhaps I don’t understand this in the way I should, but it sounds like loving your neighbor is kind of a big thing as it is equated with loving God and yourself and identified as a basis for understanding the New Testament. Now, I’m always afraid of the fine print or the exception so I’m curious if there is anything that nullifies that scripture for Covid specifically and viruses generally?

Matthew 22:36-40

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

WesternNebraskan

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2004
W. Nebraska
Hmmm. Don’t know if this resonates with our religious right friends. Perhaps I don’t understand this in the way I should, but it sounds like loving your neighbor is kind of a big thing as it is equated with loving God and yourself and identified as a basis for understanding the New Testament. Now, I’m always afraid of the fine print or the exception so I’m curious if there is anything that nullifies that scripture for Covid specifically and viruses generally?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
The Orange Deity was sent to destroy Christianity... tell me I'm wrong...

Reactions: H2Oman

Hyattea

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2012
Lincoln

What does all this mean?