ADVERTISEMENT

Covid-19 updates and analysis (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try this one, in 1957 the USA had a flu pandemic 160,000 people died and the country wasn’t shutdown. I’m not saying covid 19 isn’t bad but we can’t let it run our lives, I’m in my late 50’s and if I get it I get it, hell I could be diagnosed with cancer next week, or hit by a train. We can’t let fear take over. The government can’t continue to print money. These probably a good percentage on this board that never experienced inflation. And if the government keeps printing money and giving people handouts that’s what your going to see. It will take $50 to buy a loaf of bread. Just research Germany in the 1930’s

So basically 100,000 dead is not a big deal, which is what we are saying... especially if you are over 65.... just wanted to get that right. Did I miss anything?
nobody is saying that it isn't a big deal. We're not going to eliminate this virus by keeping things shut down. There's too many people doing jobs so that the rest of us can eat, drink water and flush the toilet. While IN THEORY the shelter at home rules were a good idea, in practice they've been a disaster and there's some question if they did any good at all. It's time to open back up and hope for the best instead of constantly fearing the worst. Meanwhile there's an epidemic of relapses in drug and alcohol dependency and suicide due in part to the stress of shut downs and social distancing.

Last edited:
I believe excess deaths show it as a pretty bad flu season. Take away the piss poor decision to put people with it in nursing homes and "it's the flu, bro" was pretty much correct.
well it's maybe more like a bad flu season without a vaccine. We lose way more young healthy people especially kids to influenza every year than we're going to end up losing to the Wuhan Flu this year.

Try this one, in 1957 the USA had a flu pandemic 160,000 people died and the country wasn’t shutdown. I’m not saying covid 19 isn’t bad but we can’t let it run our lives, I’m in my late 50’s and if I get it I get it, hell I could be diagnosed with cancer next week, or hit by a train. We can’t let fear take over. The government can’t continue to print money. These probably a good percentage on this board that never experienced inflation. And if the government keeps printing money and giving people handouts that’s what your going to see. It will take $50 to buy a loaf of bread. Just research Germany in the 1930’s
I'm wondering what Worldometer knows that we don't know. They continue to show the number of infections and death continuing to drop through the summer to very low levels by August 1st. That hasn't changed with all of the re-openings. I don't know if their numbers are completely based on previous reports and don't consider the effect of increased exposure or if they're already considering that.

Cannot help but wonder if some of the rioting we're seeing in Minneapolis right now isn't at least in part, an outlet from some very frustrated people that never should have been locked down in the first place and are itching to let out some pent up frustrations. Not saying it's 100% responsible, obviously, but I think it is in part....and in case anyone isn't clear on where I stand on this issue, open this effing country back up already. This is beyond pathetic we're still on any sort of restrictions of any type. People know what's going on, let them decide for themselves if they want to go to church or.... whatever.

CDC's new (May 26th) best estimates of symptomatic CFR of covid, by age:
EZHtc3mU4AAy3iJ

CDC's CFR, by age, for seasonal flu:
EZHuFtfUYAEnLTZ

covid is worse, but not by orders of magnitude, and not at all for those under 50.

Reactions: leodisflowers
EZHtc3mU4AAy3iJ

EZHuFtfUYAEnLTZ

covid is worse, but not by orders of magnitude, and not at all for those under 50.[/QUOTE

CFR? Current fatality rate I assume?

If this pandemic is supposedly the worst health care crisis to hit America and the world, why aren't essential workers being treated as such? You'd think a damn holiday would be in the works or something.

Reactions: huntered
EZHtc3mU4AAy3iJ

EZHuFtfUYAEnLTZ

covid is worse, but not by orders of magnitude, and not at all for those under 50.
Actually for people under the age of 25, seasonal flu
Am I to understand this was hardly worth shutting down the country for? #NOFREAKINGWAY!!!!!

If only somebody could have seen that coming.
When this all broke, we had virtually no choice but to take the action we did. New York was a mess and if we hadn't made some changes the whole country's ERs and ICUs could have been a train wreck. It bought us time and allowed us to get our ducks in a row with PPE, ventilators, treatment regimens etc. Hindsight is 20/20 but I think our initial response was the thing to do. Now it's time as we're doing, to relax things and see what happens. The restaurant and bar thing IMO was a must do action. I'm very worried about what will happen as bars in particular re-open.

Reactions: jmliehr

When this all broke, we had virtually no choice but to take the action we did. New York was a mess and if we hadn't made some changes the whole country's ERs and ICUs could have been a train wreck. It bought us time and allowed us to get our ducks in a row with PPE, ventilators, treatment regimens etc. Hindsight is 20/20 but I think our initial response was the thing to do. Now it's time as we're doing, to relax things and see what happens. The restaurant and bar thing IMO was a must do action. I'm very worried about what will happen as bars in particular re-open.

The people I know that live in retirement homes and hospice care are excited to get back into the bars...

I think, before we caused the kind of economic damage we did, and printed trillions out of thin air to add to our mountain of debt, ya better be damn sure all that needed to happen, and it looks to me like it didn't need to happen. However, you can sell me on better safe than sorry, so I not going to riot over it or anything, but any state that doesn't open back up for biz yesterday, is just being a Nancy now and I have to assume they have a motive that goes beyond keeping people safe from the Chinese aids.

Where is huskerDu? I want to know what his thoughts on new data is......

Respectfully, just because you keep repeating something doesn’t make it true.
Didn't think this was a repeat post. Am going by Dr. Birx very early comments (suspects the number to be about 25% too high, as a result of very liberal counting), Colorado's correction (right at 25%), doctor and mortician comments, and a few local examples. One area guy was asymptomatic with Covid, died of an aortic aneurysm, and Covid was listed as a related, causal factor. Maybe another way of saying it is the death count is 100,000 with a margin of error of +0/-20 or 30k.

I have a theory that it's going to be much worse this fall. Once they learn more about the virus, how it works and such.. I just have a feeling people are being setup.. probably no one has actually rid themselves of the virus once they got it, and I think there are complications at a later date, and you might see mass numbers of people die, who thought they had beaten the virus.

Why? well if you haven't noticed, I take the contrarian view on everything. It's been proven to me so many times, it is just the way I think anymore.

I hope this doesn't come back to bite people in the ass, I really don't, but I'm not ready to put myself at risk quite yet, and partially because I am susceptible.. male, type A blood, high blood pressure, pre-diabetic.. the standard American med check past 50 I guess.

Anyway, that is my excuse for being more wary than normal of this thing.

I have a theory that it's going to be much worse this fall. Once they learn more about the virus, how it works and such.. I just have a feeling people are being setup.. probably no one has actually rid themselves of the virus once they got it, and I think there are complications at a later date, and you might see mass numbers of people die, who thought they had beaten the virus.

Why? well if you haven't noticed, I take the contrarian view on everything. It's been proven to me so many times, it is just the way I think anymore.

I hope this doesn't come back to bite people in the ass, I really don't, but I'm not ready to put myself at risk quite yet, and partially because I am susceptible.. male, type A blood, high blood pressure, pre-diabetic.. the standard American med check past 50 I guess.

start strength training. Build some good defenses against the virus.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
A more in-depth look at counting covid-19 cases.

The experts who are involved in counting novel coronavirus deaths at all levels — from local hospitals to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — disagree with the president. If anything, they say, these deaths are undercounted. And with a death like Bob Duffy’s, you can begin to see why.

The experts who are involved in counting novel coronavirus deaths at all levels — from local hospitals to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — disagree with the president. If anything, they say, these deaths are undercounted. And with a death like Bob Duffy’s, you can begin to see why.
There are many different voices speaking out from the CDC and elsewhere. It is at best difficult to be sure if we're getting accurate information. It has been apparent that the communication with local Dr.s doesn't necessarily match what they're putting out to the general public. Right now it appears, much like the reporting for a hurricane that never happens, the government (CDC) wanted to scare the sh## out of people. FWIW, now the official communication with local Dr.s that I "know"Winking sounds more like "hey guys we've got this stuff. It isn't as deadly as we thought".

The CFR keeps falling in this country. I don't know if that's because we've learned better protocols for treating it, we're picking up more asymptomatic positives, or the cases showing up now are in areas with better medical care than New York City. It's going to be interesting to see where the hospitalization numbers go as things open back up.

But in other ways, Bob’s final illness was just part of a long string of sicknesses. Over the two decades since his retirement, he had had a stroke. He also had had cancer in his mouth, colon and liver. There was scarring — fibrosis — that had damaged his lungs and forced him onto supplemental oxygen. The radiation treatments that had cured his cancers years ago had also left him with nerve damage in his legs and a slowly eroding jawbone. Bob was not the picture of health.

Doesnt sound like it would have taken much to do in this guy. A common cold might have done the trick just as well. I think it is important to remember that the 100,000 covid deaths are not in addition to normally expected deaths. In fact, according to the CDC we are barely above our expected deaths ytd (102%).

Reactions: OzzyLvr
There are many different voices speaking out from the CDC and elsewhere. It is at best difficult to be sure if we're getting accurate information. It has been apparent that the communication with local Dr.s doesn't necessarily match what they're putting out to the general public. Right now it appears, much like the reporting for a hurricane that never happens, the government (CDC) wanted to scare the sh## out of people. FWIW, now the official communication with local Dr.s that I "know"Winking sounds more like "hey guys we've got this stuff. It isn't as deadly as we thought".

The CFR keeps falling in this country. I don't know if that's because we've learned better protocols for treating it, we're picking up more asymptomatic positives, or the cases showing up now are in areas with better medical care than New York City. It's going to be interesting to see where the hospitalization numbers go as things open back up.

Here in Texas the last 7 days has seen a “downward spiral” in hospitalizations and “positive” cases. Now I saw Dr Fauci on CNN that “It’s not inevitable” that we have a rise again in the winter, WTF!

But in other ways, Bob’s final illness was just part of a long string of sicknesses. Over the two decades since his retirement, he had had a stroke. He also had had cancer in his mouth, colon and liver. There was scarring — fibrosis — that had damaged his lungs and forced him onto supplemental oxygen. The radiation treatments that had cured his cancers years ago had also left him with nerve damage in his legs and a slowly eroding jawbone. Bob was not the picture of health.

Doesnt sound like it would have taken much to do in this guy. A common cold might have done the trick just as well. I think it is important to remember that the 100,000 covid deaths are not in addition to normally expected deaths. In fact, according to the CDC we are barely above our expected deaths ytd (102%).
~42% of those 100k were in long-term care/nursing homes, 54% in all states besides New York.

that's staggering.

Its reporting from March and April when there weren't as many Covid tests being administered. I know some people think this is a conspiracy but it really isnt. By the time the final number audits are done the pneumonia numbers will be revised down and the Covid numbers will be revised up to get a more accurate picture.

Cannot help but wonder if some of the rioting we're seeing in Minneapolis right now isn't at least in part, an outlet from some very frustrated people that never should have been locked down in the first place and are itching to let out some pent up frustrations. Not saying it's 100% responsible, obviously, but I think it is in part....and in case anyone isn't clear on where I stand on this issue, open this effing country back up already. This is beyond pathetic we're still on any sort of restrictions of any type. People know what's going on, let them decide for themselves if they want to go to church or.... whatever.
I think you are totally off base if wondering that the shut down has something to do with the Minneapolis happenings. This is at least the third death of a black man at the hands of the police in Minneapolis in the past five years that was highly suspect on the police officers part. I have a daughter, sister, nephews and nieces that live in the metro. They are not liberals but the believe that at least two of there deaths were the responsibility of the police and were police profiling.

I think you are totally off base if wondering that the shut down has something to do with the Minneapolis happenings. This is at least the third death of a black man at the hands of the police in Minneapolis in the past five years that was highly suspect on the police officers part. I have a daughter, sister, nephews and nieces that live in the metro. They are not liberals but the believe that at least two of there deaths were the responsibility of the police and were police profiling.
Its not out of the realm of possibility that people were already worked up due to the Covid situation and made the response even worse. Its comparable to how heat waves lead to higher homicide rates.

Reactions: RedMyMind

You forgot the mention the length of your fingers.

https://www.eatthis.com/ring-finger-covid/

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT