ADVERTISEMENT

Covid-19 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son and family live in Kitsap County, which is across the Puget Sound from Seattle. (1 hour ferry ride.) Many of their friends are in Seattle. DIL went over to Seattle yesterday and described it as a ghost town. Anxiety levels are thru the roof.

The Seattle Times newspaper is allowing free access to their coverage of Covid 19. It gives you a good idea of what is going on in the area.
Its pretty bad I live fairly close to the epicenter and in fact the very first case was from Snohomish. Everything is shutting down restaurants, bars, retail you name it - there are hours long lines to get into stores - so yes its bad and going to get worse

But eventually everyone will calm down

Let us know how things are going in Washington,if you care to, since it's our ground zero in ways, where the local effect and societal responses have started the earliest, to see how folks are reacting, dealing with this new life.
The folks in Washington might be the first to see the light at the end of the tunnel as well.
Probably like everywhere really people are concerned but the younger ones less than the older ones - the whole area just keeps grinding to a stop pretty much,

We are older and I have heart disease so we have been self quarantining for two weeks already - me and my wife are saying we will do what we can and not be stupid but if we get it we get it. As long as we do not get it because we were stupid is our thing. On the other hand my 30 year daughter looks it qa different way

There are 642 cases as of this morning, only because people have not been tested so probably realistically there are a couple thousand or more in my immediate area. The governor stated they expect the infected to double every 5-7 days - I think it will get worse before better

As soon as it gets warm I am bugging out to eastern washington. I heard UV light and heat is better. They have areas they have designated to get meals to kids and are at least saying every kid will have a meal

Glad you checked in. It seems so long ago that my only worry at this time of year was whether I could go thru Snoqualmie Pass to get to Kitsap.

Probably like everywhere really people are concerned but the younger ones less than the older ones - the whole area just keeps grinding to a stop pretty much,

We are older and I have heart disease so we have been self quarantining for two weeks already - me and my wife are saying we will do what we can and not be stupid but if we get it we get it. As long as we do not get it because we were stupid is our thing. On the other hand my 30 year daughter looks it qa different way

There are 642 cases as of this morning, only because people have not been tested so probably realistically there are a couple thousand or more in my immediate area. The governor stated they expect the infected to double every 5-7 days - I think it will get worse before better
There are probably actually 10-20x more infected people than you think or know about. One of the huge problems with this virus is it's ability to be shed without clinical disease and THEN the persistent shedding from recovered victims. This is going to drag out for months regardless of what was done or what we do next. The question is whether or not Britain has it right by trying to get it over with quickly. My opinion is that their epidemiologists looked at the amount of community spread and just said "It's too late. Let it run it's course."

Glad you checked in. It seems so long ago that my only worry at this time of year was whether I could go thru Snoqualmie Pass to get to Kitsap.
There was an article today that was talking about the ski resorts at Stevens and Snoqualmie pass are just packed - just another example of how the younger crowd looks at this - not sure I blame them but it is spreading the virus faster.

Reactions: dinglefritz
There are probably actually 10-20x more infected people than you think or know about. One of the huge problems with this virus is it's ability to be shed without clinical disease and THEN the persistent shedding from recovered victims. This is going to drag out for months regardless of what was done or what we do next. The question is whether or not Britain has it right by trying to get it over with quickly. My opinion is that their epidemiologists looked at the amount of community spread and just said "It's too late. Let it run it's course."
Great.. but most likely you are right - this thing was spreading 6 weeks unchecked before it was discovered or became a big deal. Then it has taken a few weeks for reality to set in for many and there are still a bunch of people who refuse to face it

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
summitatsnoqualmie.com/summit-source/covid-19-update-suspended-operations

After careful consideration of the quickly changing situation surrounding COVID-19 in our region, and the world, The Summit will suspend operations at the end of the day March 15, 2020, until further notice. Given the circumstances and uncertainty around the spread of COVID-19, we believe this is the best course of action to help protect the health of our staff and guests.

This has been a very trying time for everyone and we want to thank all of our guests and staff for their patience and understanding as we work through this outbreak together. Please know this decision was not an easy one to make, as we know it has great impact to our staff, passholders, guests, and community. Ultimately, we feel it is essential to do our part to help mitigate the risk and spread of COVID-19 in our communities by suspending operations.

Been thru that pass, snow on the ground in august, in the shade.
Stevens ( Hwy 2) is the higher pass with a ski resort - Hwy 20 Cascades highway is the highest I believe and actually closes in the winter and there is snow up there all year. Snoqualmie stays pretty good as it is interstate 90 and the major commerce road. The other ones are not much fun in the snow - I just took Hwy 2 about a month ago - you have to time it right

https://komonews.com/news/coronavir...en-for-crowds-while-state-battles-coronavirus

Gonna be some unhappy ski people

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Stevens ( Hwy 2) is the higher pass with a ski resort - Hwy 20 Cascades highway is the highest I believe and actually closes in the winter and there is snow up there all year. Snoqualmie stays pretty good as it is interstate 90 and the major commerce road. The other ones are not much fun in the snow - I just took Hwy 2 about a month ago - you have to time it right

https://komonews.com/news/coronavir...en-for-crowds-while-state-battles-coronavirus

Gonna be some unhappy ski people
Yea, 2 goes through most the country.
The young are the most antsy, good they're likely the last to have to settle in.

Reactions: SnohomishRed
In a church service livestreamed from his quarantine, the senior minister at Countryside Community Church in Omaha told his congregation he has tested positive for the coronavirus.

Rev. Eric Elnes recently returned from a trip to Spain, and learned he had COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, late Thursday night.

So far, he has only a slight cough and an elevated heart rate — no fever, headache, nausea or aches. That puts him in the 80% or so of people who health experts say are experiencing only mild illnesses from the coronavirus that shouldn't require much in the way of medical treatment.

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebra...cle_0717481b-61ba-5586-aa69-92a53a2e751c.html

Unfortunately, these small molecule studies always seem promising, but the vast majority never turn out to have real efficacy in vivo to match their in vitro potential. With that said, this leads me to think that there is a potentially low risk (please drink responsibly!) and widely available option we can all try while we wait for a vaccine, antibodies, and/or an anti-viral drug to be developed: have a gin and tonic with dinner every night.

Chloroquine is a synthetic analog to quinine (the natural product from cinchona trees added to tonic water to give it its bitter taste). Quinine is also the longest used anti-malarial drug. It was discovered back around the time the British occupied India. Soldiers were given daily prophylactic doses of quinine to prevent malaria. Soldiers were having a hard time conforming to taking their daily quinine dosage because it was so bitter when taken straight up. So they started mixing it with their gin rations, and hence the gin and tonic was born.

So, will drinking gin and tonic help stave off or treat coronavirus? Very unlikely. I definitely would not recommend adhering to a gin and tonic regimen in place of proper medical care. But if you are well and enjoy having a cocktail in the evening, might as well make it a gin and tonic :)

gin-tonic-5a8f334b8e1b6e0036a9631d.jpg

Chloroquine is so cheap, it is stockpiled all over the place. The fact that the study recommends dosages tells me it will be used in cases of "empathy" when people are falling into cytokine storm. A number of experimental drugs have already been used in such cases.

Reactions: jrhuskerdad
I just read that Illinois closed down all restaurants and bars through the end of the month.

An emergency room doctor at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland is in critical condition with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus.

The hospital at the center of the coronavirus outbreak in King County confirmed that the doctor was ill Sunday afternoon.

“EvergreenHealth is providing care for one of our physicians who has a confirmed case of COVID-19. He is in critical condition but stable. Out of respect for our patient’s privacy and that of his family, there is nothing more we can share at this time,” says a brief statement issued by the hospital on Sunday.

The physician, who is in his 40s, has been admitted to the intensive-care unit and could be the first front-line health care worker in the state to test positive for the disease, said Dr. Liam Yore, the immediate past president of the Washington Chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...Pq51NlMAQIr4TTQQtJ39ASadrc#Echobox=1584314347

An emergency room doctor at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland is in critical condition with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus.

The hospital at the center of the coronavirus outbreak in King County confirmed that the doctor was ill Sunday afternoon.

“EvergreenHealth is providing care for one of our physicians who has a confirmed case of COVID-19. He is in critical condition but stable. Out of respect for our patient’s privacy and that of his family, there is nothing more we can share at this time,” says a brief statement issued by the hospital on Sunday.

The physician, who is in his 40s, has been admitted to the intensive-care unit and could be the first front-line health care worker in the state to test positive for the disease, said Dr. Liam Yore, the immediate past president of the Washington Chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...Pq51NlMAQIr4TTQQtJ39ASadrc#Echobox=1584314347
Ugh this sucks...I wish there was a "thank you for posting this button" right next to the "like" button because there's nothing to "like" about this. But thanks for posting :(

Ugh this sucks...I wish there was a "thank you for posting this button" right next to the "like" button because there's nothing to "like" about this. But thanks for posting :(
It's just a matter of time before we have large numbers of healthcare providers who are unable to work. I've been beating that drum for weeks. With the shortage of nurses already, it's going to be tough to keep hospitals staffed with them let alone Drs. We're going to reach a point I'n afraid where if you're exposed, you keep working with the known positives until you are sick yourself. We might need separate facilities where recovered workers who might still be shedding could care for the infected patients. Meanwhile China is blaming a rise in new COVID-19 cases on "imported cases". China is not nearly as out of the woods as their propaganda machine would like us to believe. Lying bat eating skunks.

The good news: A vaccine trial will start MONDAY in Seattle on human volunteers. The bad news: It will take them 18 months to jump through all the hoops for the FDA before it could be released to the public. The FDA HAS to get their heads out of their ass and speed up the process for manufacturers. They're worried about adverse reactions. Bullshit. We've been making safe subunit vaccines for mammalian Corona viruses for decades. I would take it today if they would give it to me.

The good news: A vaccine trial will start MONDAY in Seattle on human volunteers. The bad news: It will take them 18 months to jump through all the hoops for the FDA before it could be released to the public. The FDA HAS to get their heads out of their ass and speed up the process for manufacturers. They're worried about adverse reactions. Bullshit. We've been making safe subunit vaccines for mammalian Corona viruses for decades. I would take it today if they would give it to me.

https://www.seattlepi.com/coronavir...g-recruited-in-Seattle-for-first-15111325.php

Wise words were spoken recently by the head of the WHO when talking about emergent responses to a pandemic

if you hesitate in order to be sure everything is perfect, you will lose

Last edited:
Reactions: jrhuskerdad
Gov Jay Inslee

COVID-19 is spreading in WA and around the globe. To protect our people, we must continue to escalate our response.

Tomorrow, we will temporarily shut down restaurants, bars and entertainment/recreational facilities statewide.

➡️ Grocery stores and pharmacies will stay open
➡️ Restaurants may continue take-out and delivery service
➡️ Retail outlets can stay open with reduced occupancy

All gatherings over 50 participants will be prohibited.

All gatherings under 50 participants will be prohibited unless previously announced criteria for hygiene and social distancing are met.

I know there will be significant economic impacts to all our communities. But every hour counts as we bend the curve of infection.

We have, and we will continue to take steps to mitigate those challenges.

King County will shut down these establishments immediately. As the largest population center and current epicenter of this outbreak, they must act with even greater urgency. I applaud Dow Constantine, King County Executive's decision.

We will hold a joint press conference with more details tomorrow.

We’re in this together, Washington. How each of us responds matters.

And I know we’re up for the challenge.

My full statement: http://bit.ly/SocialDistancingWA

Hang in there, Snohomish. When this all started (wow that seemed so long ago, you know when folks said it wasn't that big of a deal) I had a similar exchange. I discovered that the block function was helpful.

After watching the covid task force press conference yesterday it's clear where some folks are getting their information. And it isn't from CNN.:)

Reactions: dinglefritz
You are a piece of shit. My daughter was out and told my neighbors also were our and told me.

Maybe you need to get a grip and while you are at it take some of that toilet paper and stuff it in your mouth.

I see this place hasn't changed much. I thought I could give some first hand info as I live in the middle of it but guess not.

You can go back to watching CNN now.

Good luck everyone oh and by the way they shut everything down last night
I know life sucks for you and yours right now, but don't let one poster's snide comment keep you from interacting with the rest of us. Hope you continue to post updates and take care.

Day 52 of the corona virus infecting the USA. I went to work as normal today and it appears most people have survived at this point. Saw no signs of looting and the gas stations still have gas. Our supply of toilet paper and diapers are starting to diminish so we have started planning for alternatives.

You mean the a-holes that have saw prices of cattle and crops drop to near nothing while still going to work everyday while the rest of the world panics?
No, I mean the a-holes that put enough smoke in the atmosphere that those of us in SE Nebraska have to monitor our kids with asthma, giving them regular breathing treatments.

SEATTLE (AP) — U.S. researchers gave the first shot to the first person in a test of an experimental coronavirus vaccine Monday — leading off a worldwide hunt for protection even as the pandemic surges.
With a careful jab in a healthy volunteer’s arm, scientists at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Research Institute in Seattle begin an anxiously awaited first-stage study of a potential COVID-19 vaccine developed in record time after the new virus exploded from China and fanned across the globe.
“We’re team coronavirus now,” Kaiser Permanente study leader Dr. Lisa Jackson said on the eve of the experiment. “Everyone wants to do what they can in this emergency.”
The Associated Press observed as the study’s first participant, an operations manager at a small tech company, received the injection inside an exam room. Three others were next in line for a test that will ultimately give 45 volunteers two doses, a month apart.
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/coronavirus-vaccine-test-opens-in-seattle-with-1st-doses/

Washington leaders on Monday called on residents of the state to avoid any unnecessary interactions over the next two weeks, as the state pulls out nearly every measure at its disposal to stem the growth of the novel coronavirus.

“It is time right now for people to assume that they and everyone they meet has been exposed and is potentially infected,” said King County Executive Dow Constantine at a livestreamed news conference, at which reporters listened in on conference lines, to avoid any physical interaction.

Gov. Jay Inslee announced late Sunday that he would be shutting down bars, restaurants, clubs and gyms statewide and banning all gatherings of more than 50 people. Constantine acted simultaneously to also ban all gatherings smaller than 50 people in the state’s largest county, unless they meet specific criteria for hygiene and social distancing.

“This is bigger than all of us,” Inslee said Monday, comparing the situation to World War II. “All of us have to recognize for the next several weeks, normal is not in our game plan.”

The ban, Inslee said, applies to not only restaurants and bars, but also coffee shops, barber shops, hair salons and youth sports, theaters and bowling alleys. Grocery stores and pharmacies will remain open.

Inslee urged, in the strongest possible terms, people to stay home and avoid social interactions.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...AyTzKjNVMDcFmC5Z1UlOHm3CLE#Echobox=1584383347

Reactions: bigboxes
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT