ADVERTISEMENT

Covid-19 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's socialized medicine for the kids out there. It is also true that they completely deny care for citizens of other countries without private health insurance. Bernie wouldn't have gotten his stent in Italy. .

perhaps - my question was more related to decisions made in a pandemic when the health care system is severely strained - not so much what would or would not take place 6 months ago during standard operating procedure

Last edited:
MadCow makes my skin crawl, can't stand her. She is one angry, disgruntle individual.

https://avatorl.org/covid-19/

interesting dashboard for those interested

thanks -- keep in mind those numbers will be greatly skewed one way or another by how many are or are able to be tested

also how untested respiratory related deaths are classified - lots of elderly that have previously declared they did not want aggressive measures may pass away and not be tested as to determine cause of death

Reactions: dinglefritz
And yes, all of you are right in pointing out that this media environment is like this to keep people foaming angry and keep money churning. That's a problem, not just because it keeps us all screaming at each other about politics way, way too much, but it also yields poor outcomes for our democracy, like electing Donald Trump. Most of you have seen me get in pretty big fights about how much I hate Trump and what is going on right now, but truth be told, I would only be mildly snarky in comparison if John McCain or Mitt Romney were in office. Why? They are/were at least decent humans and fairly competent politicians. They may be conservative, but that's ok from time to time. What isn't ok is outrage politics, harmful lies, and complete incompetence, which is why I get so pissed off.
Im sorry but this doesn't exist I don't care if it a dem or reb. The system is broken and has been for a long long time. If you honestly believe there are good politicians you are part of the problem. All politicians are just legalized forms of mobsters. Who are only out for their best interest and financial gains. Nothing they do is for the good of the people. It is to keep donors, and big business, happy. If they keep the bigs happy, they keep their spots and the money rolling in. Give me an average joe, non politician any day. The best thing this country could do is implement term limits.

thanks -- keep in mind those numbers will be greatly skewed one way or another by how many are or are able to be tested

also how untested respiratory related deaths are classified - lots of elderly that have previously declared they did not want aggressive measures may pass away and not be tested as to determine cause of death
yea I don't think anyone expects 100% accuracy, just posting because I found it interesting and thought others might, as well.

Reactions: jlb321
yea I don't think anyone expects 100% accuracy, just posting because I found it interesting and thought others might, as well.

didn't mean to come off harsh

many haven't thought about how testing can influence the numbers

if you test every single person in a population who develops a low grade fever the death rate is going to be very low

if you take this same population and only test those people who develop fever + shortness of breath that are sick enough to require hospitalization then your death rate is going to be very, very high

I don't know if we will ever get to this point - hopefully not - but what do you feel the response would be by yourself or society's if:

you are told that your seriously ill loved one does not meet criteria for ICU transfer/care due to age and/or other co-morbidities that unfortunately make survival or expected remaining survival years should they survive too low
I might be wrong but I thought the ACA was intended for that. Remember, just give them the black pill??

Reactions: Baxter48
Im sorry but this doesn't exist I don't care if it a dem or reb. The system is broken and has been for a long long time. If you honestly believe there are good politicians you are part of the problem. All politicians are just legalized forms of mobsters. Who are only out for their best interest and financial gains. Nothing they do is for the good of the people. It is to keep donors, and big business, happy. If they keep the bigs happy, they keep their spots and the money rolling in. Give me an average joe, non politician any day. The best thing this country could do is implement term limits.

Incorrect. First, fallacy of composition; not all politicians are bad because not all of anything is bad. Or good.

Second, term limits are very, very destructive, it turns out. They lead to worse policy outcomes and increased polarization. Please see this article:
https://www.mischiefsoffaction.com/...PAnw7HxUY-_ac7JqGIa6p2NGMjsCBNAolhowmDH6Fos-I

Incorrect. First, fallacy of composition; not all politicians are bad because not all of anything is bad. Or good.

Second, term limits are very, very destructive, it turns out. They lead to worse policy outcomes and increased polarization. Please see this article:
https://www.mischiefsoffaction.com/...PAnw7HxUY-_ac7JqGIa6p2NGMjsCBNAolhowmDH6Fos-I
Yes I am not a big term limits person. You think lobbyists are too powerful now, put in term limits. Lobbyists run the Nebraska legislature IMO

Wife said she just talked to an OPS teacher and he told her there are rumors going around that school will end up being closed the rest of the year. Any others hearing this?

Wife said she just talked to an OPS teacher and he told her there are rumors going around that school will end up being closed the rest of the year. Any others hearing this?

Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts said Friday that if coronavirus spreads to the community at large, he could order schools closed in the region affected for six to eight weeks. That would put you into May as the earliest they could open again.

Reactions: husker2612
I'll probably starve because frickin wackos are hoard buying like mad in grocery stores today. My elfery dad went to Walmart, Hyvee, and Costco this morning and there was little to nothing left in most asiles he said. What is wrong with people?

The issue with school closings is so many students require food from schools and schools provide a huge boost to society through their cheap babysitting. Another weakness in our system is the lack of childcare that parents actually give to their children and the number of hungry kids, even though their parents are working long hours. Obviously there is also a penchant for luxury spending(iphone 11) when there isn't food in the house. This is a problem in urban and rural areas as so much of society works in a the service industry and does not have appreciable benefits such as sick leave and wages are relatively low comparative to costs of living. America has never been richer but Americans as a whole are individually worse off than 30 years ago. The cucks will now respond that those three americans who make more money than 185 million Americans combined "earned" their money and the 185 million are lazy shacks of sit.

Reactions: headcard
I'll probably starve because frickin wackos are hoard buying like mad in grocery stores today. My elfery dad went to Walmart, Hyvee, and Costco this morning and there was little to nothing left in most asiles he said. What is wrong with people?
I went to Petco just because we were out of dog food. It was insane there too. People literally buying cart loads of pet food.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The issue with school closings is so many students require food from schools and schools provide a huge boost to society through their cheap babysitting. Another weakness in our system is the lack of childcare that parents actually give to their children and the number of hungry kids, even though their parents are working long hours. Obviously there is also a penchant for luxury spending(iphone 11) when there isn't food in the house. This is a problem in urban and rural areas as so much of society works in a the service industry and does not have appreciable benefits such as sick leave and wages are relatively low comparative to costs of living. America has never been richer but Americans as a whole are individually worse off than 30 years ago.
AND can the kids actually stay at home by themselves? Some can some can't. For those that can't, parent has to take off work?? Can't do that the rest of the year (school). A lot of the places that normally have activities probably won't so that not an option

Reactions: Baxter48
I personally know ONE U.S. senator who IMO is as straight of an arrow that there is on the planet and I wish I could be half the man he is. Other than that, I agree completely. Many have tried to get him to run for President and he refuses because he's from a small state and doesn't want to do that to his family.

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts said Friday that if coronavirus spreads to the community at large, he could order schools closed in the region affected for six to eight weeks. That would put you into May as the earliest they could open again.
South Dakota ordered schools closed today after their first COVID-19 death and multiple new cases in the state. They also postponed their state basketball tournaments for now. They have 8 cases and and aren't sure where several of them acquired their infections.

I think almost everyone in America knows that BOTH of those networks are completely biased. Watching either is not news, it is simply a way to confirm what you already believe and hear what you want to hear from people that already feel the same way you do. Might as well just admit it and not pretend either is something it's not.
I would replace "almost everyone" with "most" know that both networks are biased. There are some that just aren't smart enough to get it. But the thing is even when people know it's biased they disagree about the extent of the bias (like "Fox shows extreme bias, but MSNBC barely does") and they also still buy in to everything that is being said anyway!

Reactions: headcard
AND can the kids actually stay at home by themselves? Some can some can't. For those that can't, parent has to take off work?? Can't do that the rest of the year (school). A lot of the places that normally have activities probably won't so that not an option
Schools here will be doing "remote learning" with the expectation that kids will be "attending" school every day online at specified times. That way they can get credit and move on to the next grade next year. I imagine the quality of the course offerings will vary greatly depending on the teacher as well as the school.

As far as who is watching these kids, it could be answered by saying "Well, what do you do when school is out for the summer?" But add in the remote learning aspect of it and it gets a lot tougher.

Schools here will be doing "remote learning" with the expectation that kids will be "attending" school every day online at specified times. That way they can get credit and move on to the next grade next year. I imagine the quality of the course offerings will vary greatly depending on the teacher as well as the school.

As far as who is watching these kids, it could be answered by saying "Well, what do you do when school is out for the summer?" But add in the remote learning aspect of it and it gets a lot tougher.
Yes I kinda considered that part about summer. Difference is sometimes in the summer there are organized things in communities for kids, swimming pool, ball practice, parks families take vacation etc.

This will be a little different because most of the above won't be available.

I thought about putting the summer thing in my original post and should have.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. The schools in the Seattle area (King, Snohomish and Pierce County) were already closed - now it's state wide.
Given the community spread that has taken place, I'm surprised they hadn't shut down schools earlier. It's a tough call but man schools and kids with their crappy hygiene are dramatic amplifiers of viral outbreaks dragging stuff to and from school to every family in the district.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
From my local church "Assuming the return of folks after spring break travels would bring the coronavirus to our area, our leadership was in discussions of suspending worship and other ministries for a couple of weeks as a precautionary measure. This morning, we received the following email from our Bishop for ALL churches to suspend ALL gatherings of 10 or more starting TODAY. "

Given the community spread that has taken place, I'm surprised they hadn't shut down schools earlier. It's a tough call but man schools and kids with their crappy hygiene are dramatic amplifiers of viral outbreaks dragging stuff to and from school to every family in the district.

Only if Trump had issued that decree earlier

Yes I kinda considered that part about summer. Difference is sometimes in the summer there are organized things in communities for kids, swimming pool, ball practice, parks families take vacation etc.

This will be a little different because most of the above won't be available.

I thought about putting the summer thing in my original post and should have.
Good point. This is going to be a difficult situation. I wish we were more prepared for it. It seems like too many leaders took it lightly until later in this week when suddenly it became a big deal. As it stands now, we have no more time to waste and as a society we really have to do an excellent job with the social distancing. But that is going to be a major challenge. One answer is if anyone can work at home, they should work at home. And all of us should stay home from work if we have a cough, congestion or a fever. Employers need to really step up their game too and be super accommodating.

The lack of available testing kits is going to make stopping the spread a lot harder. We can safely assume that our number of cases in the U.S is much higher than has been reported. That's a lesson we will learn the hard way I guess.

1918 flu curves

Philadelphia - “this is an overreaction - don’t cancel the parades”
St. Louis. - social distancing - cancellation of gatherings etc

StLouis-Philadelphia.jpg

1918 flu curves

Philadelphia - “this is an overreaction - don’t cancel the parades”
St. Louis. - social distancing - cancellation of gatherings etc

StLouis-Philadelphia.jpg
So, on this graph, though there was no spike for st louis, there was a mild one much after philly was stabilized.
In other words, it's likely the impact would have been the same for st louis had they taken the philly pov.
But, today matters for us all to take the st louis way. Why? Because if we overstress our health care systems, those needing the highest of care may need to be turned away,and then may die.

Back then, neither in philly nor stlouis would it have mattered that much as we didn't have difference making techniques and technologies that were life savers.

So, when we hear what our leaders are telling us,that is their priorities, and we should take their words within that context.

So, on this graph, though there was no spike for st louis, there was a mild one much after philly was stabilized.
In other words, it's likely the impact would have been the same for st louis had they taken the philly pov.
But, today matters for us all to take the st louis way. Why? Because if we overstress our health care systems, those needing the highest of care may need to be turned away,and then may die.

Back then, neither in philly nor stlouis would it have mattered that much as we didn't have difference making techniques and technologies that were life savers.

So, when we hear what our leaders are telling us,that is their priorities, and we should take their words within that context.

Also that graph from 100 years ago without any source of statistical evidence is completely meaningless in this thread.

If you throw out a graph or number, please state the source.

yes. That was my point in posting ... thank you for clarifying. The Philadelphia curve will overwhelm health care facilities and many with C-19 AND THOSE OTHER MEDICAL EMERGENCIES ASIDE FROM C-19 will suffer.

Health care systems can handle the St. Louis curve

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT