Covid-19 4.0

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by Charlie Marlow, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthwoodHusker

NorthwoodHusker Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Or, jumping off their couches and landing on their basement floors.

2. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

this isn't about vaccinating kids. This is about being able to run a large scale clinical trial on human subjects with virtually nothing to lose by doing it. NOBODY would be forced to take it unless they wanted to work in a nursing home or maybe in some medical settings. There is NOTHING a viral subunit vaccine could do to hurt anyone unless they had some kind of immediate allergic reaction. They are MUCH more likely to react to the adjuvant than the antigen. Anti-vaccers are going to scream no matter what anybody does. F em. This is about trying to give at risk medical people (at first) something to protect them. Then if the first month goes well you move down the line and vaccinate nursing home residents and other high risk citizens. You would have a REAL WORLD CHALLENGE vaccine trial done in matter of weeks instead of over a year. I would take the one in trial TODAY if they would let me. There's virtually ZERO risk with the way these subunit vaccines are designed today.

SeaOfRed75 likes this.
  3. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

Now they need to get a fast track developed to get vaccines out in a matter of weeks instead of a year and a half.

NorthwoodHusker likes this.
  4. Lincoln100

Lincoln100 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Ha! You mean aside from being elected President of the United States of America? I am 100% certain he has done a better job than you could do, even with help from your mom. I’d ask you to share your achievements with us, but I’m sure that would take days for you to list them all.

GBRforLife1 and nwualum like this.
  5. Solana Beach Husker

Solana Beach Husker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Why can't we just do what Russia has done...they have a magical test that has allowed them to test 100000 people from 1 single lab, and they don't have many deaths because thrombosis seems to be the main killer of old russians right now. They are a country of almost 200 million and they have fewer cases than Luxembourg. Putin has this thing figured out.

6. Solana Beach Husker

Expand Collapse

There aren't any reports that deem it ineffective...it is not as effective as a zinc ionophore as hydroxychloroquine but zinc in cells stops the replication process of coronaviruses as sure as apples fall. It does have side effects so it should not be used in all cases except in those that have a risk of cytokine storm or have lung damage beginning to show.

7. mwulf

mwulf All-American
    Expand Collapse

Its been an absolute shit show from the beginning. The ONLY person who should be speaking publicly is Dr. Fauci.

8. mwulf

mwulf All-American
    Expand Collapse

9. mwulf

mwulf All-American
    Expand Collapse

10. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

This has NOTHING to do with being liberal or conservative. I am beyond doubt a fiscal and social conservative. THIS is about life or death for hundreds of thousands of Americans and anybody who tries to bring politics in to this is way off base. IMO, the reason the death rate is dropping is largely tied to the fact that we haven't that I'm aware of had another Washington situation where a couple of nursing homes were infected undetected for over a week. When the first reports came out of China of a 3% CFR I stated that I thought with our health care system the CFR would be lower than what they experienced. IF you want to see the CFR take off again, do nothing and let people resume normal travel and personal routines. Ask the medical folks in Omaha how much stress it was on their system to have a few positive cases to care for and then take that times a couple hundred because that is likely what we would be looking at in a few weeks if we had done nothing.

I understand this is an emotionally charged issue for some. I have friends who might lose their business over this and my wife and I have lost nearly a half million of our retirement fund. The market was overblown and was WAY over due for a correction so thank heavens we had shifted about half to a fixed income vehicle. For small business people this is a killer and we are going to have lots of cattle feeders who lose everything and it isn't because people aren't buying beef. It's because large traders are driving it down and yes China's government controlled entities are probably in there with them.

ThereIsNoPlace and jrhuskerdad like this.
  11. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

They have a large number of new cases of "pneumonia" now though. Hmmmm. Wonder why. Control the media and you can control the people.

jrhuskerdad, RedMyMind and kidofSN like this.
  12. huskerfan66

huskerfan66 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

There you have it

13. Lincoln100

Lincoln100 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

If you say so because, well, that’s all you really need

14. Solana Beach Husker

Expand Collapse

This is fake...he is a conservative soccer fan.

15. skintight

skintight Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Boom Boom Clap-----Sounders 2 stars in past 3 years

16. Solana Beach Husker

Expand Collapse

This is an incredibly volatile pandemic politically. China is in bad shape politically unless they shape this into a nationalistic/patriotic war, which they have done. They have conveniently forgot that the virus started in china on NOVEMBER 17th, and they covered it up or were incompetent for 8 weeks. Putin is extremely exposed politically now that our President has taken the pressure off of him. The per capita income for a normal russian is about the same as a Mexican so a major epidemic is going to wreck the country, even more so because oil prices have tanked. And our President lives off of the stock market and employment numbers, and being right. There is nothing that wrecks economy and the competence of a politician like a virus. Iran is an absolute disaster because there political elite are religious fundamentalists who are endangered by the virus but also resistant to science. Clerics are dying days after saying they drank holy water as a cure. People are continuing their new year traditions because apparently trenches are the will of god. It is like the 14th century in Iran. And Boris in the UK got caught trying to use herd immunity to escape the financial doom. "I don't like Prez Trump", but relative to other far right governments he is moderate in his communication. Sacrificing economy for lives even before an election, allowing wide ranges of testing, providing stimulus for poorer americans...he may not prfer this but has acquiesced and hasn't been too obstructive. This pandemic is going to mark the end of the far right movement that has diminished the importance of science, mathematics, and intelligent economy. Russia, UK, Iran, China, Brazil, Italy, and even the U.S. might see a overturn of power by the middle of next year.

17. jrhuskerdad

jrhuskerdad Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Seeing someone use a naked decimal point (i.e. not using a zero in front of their decimal point) tells me to take their scientific interpretations with a grain of salt. There's a Nature paper posted earlier in the thread that shows how to properly calculate a mortality rate, BTW.

skintight likes this.
  18. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

I was under the impression, all the blueprints Ive used, .15 is 15%, as you never establish another starting point, lest you confuse.

skintight likes this.
  19. jrhuskerdad

Expand Collapse

"The market was overblown and was WAY over due for a correction so thank heavens we had shifted about half to a fixed income vehicle"

We made a similar move on the advice of our financial advisor last fall. "Overcooked" was the term he used.

20. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Gambling. True values? Not often.

21. litespeedhuskerfan

litespeedhuskerfan Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

You could have just said the sky is falling.

So interesting to watch the human reaction to all this...and by interesting I mean sad.

dinglefritz likes this.
  22. jrhuskerdad

Expand Collapse

I'll refer you to the AIP Style Manual. Section IIIA, subsection 2 (2).

American Institute of Physics

skintight likes this.
  23. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

We rarely worked in tenths, or, ten thousanths. That was more aperture work.

24. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

There was a lot of irrational momentum investing going on and that always ends badly. Unfortunately with what is going on in the the world right now I think this will take a long time to recover from. Most logical projections say it will take 2 years for a recovery and the stock market won't get back to the levels we were at for a much longer time.

464 dinglefritz, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    jrhuskerdad likes this.
  25. mwulf

mwulf All-American
    Expand Collapse

jrhuskerdad likes this.
  26. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

The variables in tracking the death rate really depends on health and age where concentrations are highest.
    In a metro area where the average age is younger, where good healthy activities abound vs a retirement metro area, where health is generally lower and ages are higher will skew these numbers as the virus works its way through the varying communities.
    Its a general way, but as we saw in Washington state, that early outbreak at that nursing, the reaction and expediency of the medical staffs arent what they currently are, plus the improved practices , yet they still hold for over 50% of deaths in Washington. Yet, Washington is accelerating still, if you remove that tragedy

27. mwulf

mwulf All-American
    Expand Collapse

28. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Doesn't anyone have brains enough this is an area government can only support, not create higher production, not give breaks to people,business etc.
    Once they figure this out, how easy it is to figure out, then they will quit being the town idiots they appear to be.

29. jrhuskerdad

Expand Collapse

New Cepheid rapid test approved today by FDA. Can qualitatively detect in 45 min using GeneXpert system already in thousands of offices around the country. Starts delivering next week. This is good news!

"Cepheid currently has nearly 5,000 GeneXpert®Systems in the US capable of point-of-care testing and for use in hospitals," said Cepheid President Warren Kocmond. "Our automated systems do not require users to have specialty training to perform testing — they are capable of running 24/7, with many systems already doing so today."

dinglefritz likes this.
  30. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Saw that too! Seems the private sector is creeping out of the woods in many places, need to keep ramping!

jrhuskerdad likes this.
  31. Reditus

Reditus Walk On
    Expand Collapse

That is a good one.

I like this one a lot.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The CDC one isn't bad. Scroll down to the state map and click on the state to be connected to the state's health site. That's good.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html?
    CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fcases-in-us.html

32. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

I had posted a week or so ago that I had a lot of faith in our biotech industry being able to ramp up for this. I'm still concerned that the FDA and CDC are going to get in the way of getting vaccine out to at least health care professionals as quickly as the company can make it. Real time vaccine human trials is something vaccine developers could only dream of getting. I think the risk of not allowing it is much greater than moving forward with vaccinating as many people as possible as fast as possible. The science is there. The bureaucracy is stuck in the 1970s.

33. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

Unfortunately the state sites I've looked at have been woefully behind the story on the ground. FWIW, Columbia University says that staff members have tested positive. The virus is circulating in the hospital and they think the peak won't be reached in New York for another 3 weeks.

bluenrg likes this.
  34. WHCSC

WHCSC Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

I’ve posted on here of the stupidity of getting your virus information from a Huskers message board, but you all are proving me wrong. Solid work everyone!

dinglefritz and NorthwoodHusker like this.
  35. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

In retrospect 99% of people in congress shouldn't be there.

NorthWillRiseAgain likes this.
  36. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

These are the times where our 'leaders' get a chance to go back and do what they originally came to Washington to do, most anyhow.
    Those resisting, fine line between resisting and getting it done right, but those resisting are often those lost in power, who've lost track,or never had it. The work for the people and country thing.

This gives our a country a chance from impeachment while this was going on, and finally working together, as this continues

37. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

New York had more cases in one day 7,000+. Than all of Italy or even China. We need to quarantine NY from the rest of the country.

dinglefritz likes this.
  38. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

They sort of did for a nanosecond by suspending flights briefly. People are fleeing NY like rats on a sinking ship. Some of them are returning to their home countries and are being quarantined when they get there. I'm sure that's why China slapped the strict quarantines on cities during their outbreak albeit a little too late.

husker2612 likes this.
  39. mwulf

mwulf All-American
    Expand Collapse

dinglefritz likes this.
  40. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Theres approximately a weeks time between getting sick and getting the virus, so any of our actions wont show impact until at least a week afterwords.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.