ADVERTISEMENT

Could Nebraska still opt to have a season?

That will be the next denial/bargaining stage is for NU to find a way to still play on its own.

If they're going to do that they should cupcake it up. Otherwise don't bother, the last thing NU needs is to take on all the risk of playing and then go out there and lose.

I think we look back on the culling of smaller programs that happens from 2020 shortfalls and talk about what a benefit to NU it was.

The Big Ten will fight tooth & nail to deny Nebraska or any Big ten football team the ability to play games and make $ if the entire conference isn't playing.

My guess is the Big ten would withhold however much money Nebraska made this year if some how they did play some games.

My hope is the Presidents are catching so much crap right now that they decide to play.

That will be the next denial/bargaining stage is for NU to find a way to still play on its own.

If they're going to do that they should cupcake it up. Otherwise don't bother, the last thing NU needs is to take on all the risk of playing and then go out there and lose.

I think we look back on the culling of smaller programs that happens from 2020 shortfalls and talk about what a benefit to NU it was.
I think many schools have played their last college football game. I also think the college football Landscape is going to change completely.

Just curious. Could Nebraska still opt to play ball and play all non-conference games (and Iowa)?

I imagine it is similar to being in a union in abroad way. You will get paid at a discounted rate based on your membership, but are free to work other places until the membership is recalled to fulfill the agreed contract of the employer.

There are expectations and intent in any contractual agreements. We joined a league and expected certain basic levels of autonomy. We are expected to participate and compete in league sporting events to a degree. The B1G cancels fall sports.The B1G cant tell Nebraska you can't play outside of the B1G and go against their decision. I'm pretty sure they can.

The B1G can talk about a spring timeframe, but that is beyond dumb. It's about the welfare of the student athletes, right?

Reactions: NikkiSixx
The Big Ten will fight tooth & nail to deny Nebraska or any Big ten football team the ability to play games and make $ if the entire conference isn't playing.

My guess is the Big ten would withhold however much money Nebraska made this year if some how they did play some games.

My hope is the Presidents are catching so much crap right now that they decide to play.

I dont think they could. I'm sure cancelling fall sports provides alot of freedom for its member schools. Think about canceling football. When has that happened?

B1G don't want to be a pussy by itself.

There is a crowd that seems to want it shut down for everyone, and is trying to shame anyone thinking otherwise.

why don’t we wait like 4 weeks, see what comes from Sturgis. If that crowd isn’t passing it around like an appetizer plate, we’re fine.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
I'm sure cancelling fall sports provides alot of freedom for its member schools.
Why are you sure of that?

I believe the conference would seek conformity among members in accordance with their decision. In other words, if the conference collectively decides that Fall sports are postponed, the commissioner will take measures to enforce that decision. I see it the other way, the decision would confer less freedom...… or, practically speaking, for those conference schools deciding to independently schedule this Fall, freedom at a high cost. Its a novel situation, we'll see.

And quitters will not play at all. UCF was 21, that'll change tomorrow. Be better.
cute-little-fella-just-saying.jpg

Reactions: footnfan1

I believe the conference would seek conformity among members in accordance with their decision. In other words, if the conference collectively decides that Fall sports are postponed, the commissioner will take measures to enforce that decision. I see it the other way, the decision would confer less freedom...… or, practically speaking, for those conference schools deciding to independently schedule this Fall, freedom at a high cost. Its a novel situation, we'll see.

Context, the rest. The B1G did not fulfill its end of the contract. I'm not going to argue about the hill you wish to die on. I am saying the B1G, undoubtedly failed to provide a segment of the contract. I believe Frost said something about this. How the voting went for whatever the vote was for. We were forthright as an institution and voted our intent. Play chess.

Reactions: BleedRed78

I don't agree it's novel.

It would really be embarrassing if we somehow got to play Colorado and they beat us for the third year in a row.
It would be amazing if we got to play them and kicked their ass. But will the PAC-12 schools be playing?

The science that you and your wretches and elementary school teachers deny leads me to believe this. Yore anectodotal stories are sad, but they are negligible when judging affect.

One of you dumb ****ers equated being a Corona victim equated to being a stormer of a beach. I can't take you folks seriously. It's not high school grow the **** up.

The science that you and your wretches and elementary school teachers deny leads me to believe this. Yore anectodotal stories are sad, but they are negligible when judging affect.

One of you dumb ****ers equated being a Corona victim equated to being a stormer of a beach. I can't take you folks seriously. It's not high school grow the **** up.
What? Your reply to my comment is not even tangentially related to the substance of my post.

We just need the other conferences to stay strong and have some backbone. The B1G wont cancel alone.
I could see the B1G and PAC12 cancel while the remaining 3 play.

whether there’s a longterm right/wrong remains to be seen. $hort term is something else entirely.

ncaa has to be on its knees praying for unity either way.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

whether there’s a longterm right/wrong remains to be seen. $hort term is something else entirely.

I'm not sure we hear much about the NCAA. The name will be changed and then it won't be. It will be a pop culture question from 2020. The worst year since 1939.

In that scenario all hell would break loose. I can't imagine 2 major conferences sitting idle watching the other 3 play. The blue bloods in the PAC12 and BIG would find games somehow.

Reactions: BleedRed78
No way we strike out alone. Way too many risks/variables. What if the student athletes get a year of eligibility back, but we don't because we went out and played nothing games? What if there is a spring season, are we eligible to play in it? What if we have a lot of players come down with COVID, and someone gets real sick, and UNL gets sued? Everyone knows that waivers don't hold up in court.

Ryan Day yesterday:

""We need to look at every option. And if (another league) is the only option, we need to explore it and see if that's something we can do."

Who knows what specific wording that 12-2 vote was really over. But with Day's reaction, Frost's reaction, Harbaugh's reaction, and others, it wasn't a poll to determine support for "postponing" the season a couple of weeks.

It's possible that the BIG votes today to "postpone" the football season until spring (same as cancelling it, just with a sugar coating), causing Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, and probably others to look at joining other conferences. "For one season" only, of course.

But I'll be surprised if that occurs at this point.

Did we just change the trajectory of the whole situation with our public comments about going out on our own?

Does this scare other schools on the big 10 and even some other conferences? Going on our own would be a major feather in our hat from a financial and recruiting standpoint. If we somehow figured out a way to play without the big 10 and keep the revenue we would be in really good shape compared to our conference brethren.

We have the right to schedule non conference games that fit into the schedule. So that alone, looks to me like we have the right to schedule and play those games. Now wether or not the conference can close down our football season, that is another question.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Did we just change the trajectory of the whole situation with our public comments about going out on our own?

Does this scare other schools on the big 10 and even some other conferences? Going on our own would be a major feather in our hat from a financial and recruiting standpoint. If we somehow figured out a way to play without the big 10 and keep the revenue we would be in really good shape compared to our conference brethren.
Yep, just on a recruiting side. If we are the only BIG10 team that plays that gives us a huge edge over other teams. Basically do you want to go to a school who wants to play football or to you want to go to a school who wants to play politics with your future.

Reactions: Crazyhole

I’m afraid if we tell the B1G to stick it for a year, that their going to stick it to Nebraska..

Other teams in the conference like Ohio St, Ioway, Michigan and Penn St have to be on board to want to play no matter what just like Nebraska for this to work..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT