ADVERTISEMENT

Could National Champion Nebraska Wesleyan beat Nebrasketball?

ThereIsNoPlace

Blackshirt
Nov 29, 2014
Didn't see the P-wolves play, so I really have no idea. I know most of you will discount it right away, but remember (16) UMBC beat (1) Virginia.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Didn't see the P-wolves play, so I really have no idea. I know most of you will discount it right away, but remember (16) UMBC beat (1) Virginia.
Considering the tournament this year, I’d say anything is possible. I would pick this year’s Nebraska team over Wesleyan in 7/10 games. At the same time, I never thought South Dakota State and North Dakota State could compete with the Nebraska football team.

Changes.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Sorry-- even as a former NWU player I have to admit if the two teams played, NU would win 10 of 10. The average score would probably be about 110-35. Just a different level of athlete in every sense of the word. The size and speed of the DI vs. DIII is gigantic. I have personal experience both as a former player and ref-- played and reffed YMCA games against these players so I have some basis for my argument. NWU would have trouble getting it across half court and getting a shot off. And good luck stopping Copeland or Roby inside. At least NWU would win the coaching battle.

No. Not even competitive. I used to work at the small college level. I've seen over 1,000 NAIA/ D3 caliber basketball games including National Championship teams. The answer is no.

And UMBC would beat Nebraska Wesleyan by 30 points most nights, so using that team's upset as a comparison is not realistic.

Now Nebraska Wesleyan could beat a bad D1 team like a UMKC or Northern Colorado.

I think Division II and Division III basketball is a really good product and fun to watch, but these levels are worlds apart from major conference DI. On size alone, the mismatch is huge. Evan Taylor would be a power forward on many DIII teams.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Sorry-- even as a former NWU player I have to admit if the two teams played, NU would win 10 of 10. The average score would probably be about 110-35. Just a different level of athlete in every sense of the word. The size and speed of the DI vs. DIII is gigantic. I have personal experience both as a former player and ref-- played and reffed YMCA games against these players so I have some basis for my argument. NWU would have trouble getting it across half court and getting a shot off. And good luck stopping Copeland or Roby inside. At least NWU would win the coaching battle.
Thank you for providing some sanity on this board.

Next we can debate if having the #4 team in the B10 makes Miles a terrible coach or the worst coach in the history of the game.

Totally agree, but still a great achievement. 10 players on the roster from Nebraska, and there's no athletic scholarships for DIII sports, so they are playing for the love of the game. That level is the definition of 'student athlete.'

NWU beat Peru State, in Lincoln by 4 points in an Overtime game. Peru was a 22-14 team that advanced to the 2nd round of the NAIA D1 tournament. UNK would handle both NWU and Peru by 10 to 15 points in Kearney. The game would be more competive at home.

But to put this in perspective, UNL, in 2017-18, would've blown out UNK by 30.

Deion Ross Wells is basically their best inside presence at 6'5. He is actually smaller than James Palmer. Wells would struggle to even face up to the hoop vs. Nebraska's length. Secondly, nobody at NWU could ever stop Palmer or Watson from getting to the hoop. Roby and Copeland would have a dunk field day.

I don't know why people engage in this nonsense. It's the same impulse people get when they ask if Alabama could beat an NFL team or a great high school team could beat a bad college team. The answer is always absolutely, definitively no. Sure a team at a lower level may have a few players that could compete at the higher level, and the team at the higher level may have a few players who aren't really qualified to compete at that level.But that still leaves the vast majority of the teams who are playing at the correct level.
We're also now going to have to start hearing about how UMBC beating Virginia proves that such monumental upsets can happen. There's a reason why that was considered such a monumental upset-it was the first time in 136 such matchups that such an upset had happened. That means such an upset would happen less than 1% of the time. And as big of an upset as it was-we are still talking about two teams who are still playing at the Division I level. That should indicate just how hard it is for a team playing at a lower level to beat a decent team at a higher level.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain

A Miles team couldn’t beat anyone by that
Margin.

Uh, well ...
On 12/4/2017 NE Wesleyan beat Doane 107 - 80
On 10/28/2017 Doane beat Presentation 78 - 62
On 11/21/2017 Presentation beat Concordia SP 87 - 73
On 11/17/2017 Concordia SP beat WI Milwaukee 69 - 55
On 11/13/2017 WI Milwaukee beat Iowa St 74 - 56
On 11/17/2017 Iowa St beat Tulsa 80 - 78
On 2/21/2018 Tulsa beat UCF 70 - 61
On 11/23/2017 UCF beat Nebraska 68 - 59

Surely-You-Cant-Be-Serious-In-Airplane-Gif.gif

Is this a serious post?

It really, really shouldn't be. But, based on some of the responses, you know some are taking it as a series question.

Even if a person thinks Miles is completely incompetent and lacks any coaching skills whatsoever (hard to imagine a coach so pathetic would be able to finish 4th in a P5 conference, but I digress), I would think having a roster of quite a few top 100 recruits against a small D3 school would likely win by about 40-50 points. Even the bench squad, when they aren't cheering on their teammates, would rout NWU.

Totally agree, but still a great achievement. 10 players on the roster from Nebraska, and there's no athletic scholarships for DIII sports, so they are playing for the love of the game. That level is the definition of 'student athlete.'
While they dont "technically" receive athletic scholarships, I knew someone quite awhile ago that played football at NWU and he received a decent amount of "academic" scholarships even though he was far from a stellar student.

if Nu beats kansas in the final seconds and one other big 10 game they probably make the dance...why pick a year where we have won the most in history. Now NU from 2001 to 2014, maybe.

Dale Wellman is a better coach than Tim Miles and it isn't close. There is no comparison between Wellman's precision fast break & Princeton half court offense compared to Tim Miles' "offense" and the pig slop execution that Tim is known for.

I suppose it's too big of a jump to hire a coach from D-3-- although Bo Ryan was only two years removed from D-3 when he signed on with Wisconsin-- but I would not doubt that Wellman would get NU into the NCAA tourney if NU hired him on.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
While they dont "technically" receive athletic scholarships, I knew someone quite awhile ago that played football at NWU and he received a decent amount of "academic" scholarships even though he was far from a stellar student.

You are right, some do get some help, but for most that I have known, you are still shelling out quite a bit of cash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT