ADVERTISEMENT

Could Crouch play QB in today's NFL?

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
Look at Kyler Murray for the Cardinals. 5'10" and a little over 200 lbs. Eric was 6' and 210. I wonder if today's NFL teams would draft him to play QB.

With a healthy throwing shoulder, perhaps he gets a shot as a QB. But by the end of Crouch's NU career, his arm was shot.

Not knocking his talent, but Crouch took a beating over the course of four years.

This is all hypothetical. I was talking about his talent and metrics. Let's just say he was healthy.

This is all hypothetical. I was talking about his talent and metrics. Let's just say he was healthy.
Fair enough. I'm just saying Crouch never really developed as a passing QB, and that was due in part to all the arm issues. Maybe he never progresses enough to catch the NFL's eye anyway, but we can never know for sure.

Crouch as QB? The longest of long shots. Some of y'all remember him differently that I do. He was a fantastic college QB, with a serviceable arm, but I never saw the strength, accuracy or touch necessary to be successful in the NFL. Maybe he could have developed those thing, but I'm dubious.

I think Tommie Frazier is the more interesting question. Not sure he had the pure arm strength either but he was a decent passer. Of course the health issues, but...

Reactions: TheNewNU
I think Tommie Frazier is the more interesting question. Not sure he had the pure arm strength either but he was a decent passer. Of course the health issues, but...
I don't know. I've gone back and watched some old games lately, and while Tommie certainly had strength in that arm, he was a wildly inaccurate passer. Reminded of Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh.

Played how well? I think he'd get a shot in today's league coming out of college with a Heisman on his mantle.

I certainly never thought Lamar Jackson would be any good in the NFL and I was sure wrong about that, so who knows. Imagine Crouch ending up as a Patriot and being in that slot role for them, dude might be admiring his bust in Canton.

Nope. He had a GREAT opportunity with the Rams and he just wasn't interested.

Frost was better suited to be a pro QB than Crouch or Frazier IMO and he had to jump to safety to find a spot on an NFL roster. I see Frost as similar in talent and tools to Tim Tebow and we all know how that went.

Nope. He had a GREAT opportunity with the Rams and he just wasn't interested.

Frost was better suited to be a pro QB than Crouch or Frazier IMO and he had to jump to safety to find a spot on an NFL roster. I see Frost as similar in talent and tools to Tim Tebow and we all know how that went.

Frost sucked as a passer. Tell me you don't remember him shot putting those passes.

This got me curious about Turner Gill's pro career. I remembered he went to the CFL, but that was about it.

Turns out he sustained multiple concussions up nort and was medically ineligible -- at the age of 23! And then he joined the Cleveland Indians organization (A and AA). I also didn't know he was drafted in the second round by the White Sox out of high school and again by the Yankees right out of college.

Thanks Wikipedia!

ADVERTISEMENT