ADVERTISEMENT

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pointed out in an earlier post that China had changed their method of calling something a Covid-19 infection which was seemingly slowing the spread. Just yesterday though the Chinese president stated that "the situation is dire" regarding the Corona virus. Information out of there is shaky at best. What is more concerning is the cases popping up in Italy and Germany which nobody can trace. You keep dismissing the severity of this virus but when you have a 29 year old Dr. and somewhere between 20-40% of the deaths occurring in people under the age of 60, this is not a mild virus. A Harvard professor said today that this will likely have infected between 40-70% of the world's population including the U.S. within a year. If the death rate approaches anywhere near the 2% that we've read for weeks, that is a LOT of people. Roughly up to 112 million people could die from this virus if his estimates are correct. We would lose more than a few posters off of this board I would bet.

That Harvard Prof said that awhile ago

People are posting the same articles over and over and ovvverrrrrr

and if people actually read the article and not just the headline

he states MOST will not be severe

https://theweek.com/speedreads/8977...edicts-coronavirus-infect-70-percent-humanity

Last edited:
Reactions: bluenrg
my hope is that it will spin itself out.
i think however, this is going to get ugly for a bit...
s korea has some wherewithal, but what happens when it moves into n korea...?
what about india, pakistan, or malaysia?
all of those places are ripe.

And 2+2=4
What makes it a disqualifying statement? Because its older? Before what we're now seeing in Italy or South Korea?

and if people actually read the article and not just the headline

he states MOST will not be severe

https://theweek.com/speedreads/8977...edicts-coronavirus-infect-70-percent-humanity
Excuse me. I just saw the article today and erroneously assumed it was recent. Most cases will be mild. That isn't earth shattering information. It's shocking though that so many people want to minimize the number of critically ill hospitalized people and deaths we likely will have.

my hope is that it will spin itself out.
i think however, this is going to get ugly for a bit...
s korea has some wherewithal, but what happens when it moves into n korea...?
what about india, pakistan, or malaysia?
all of those places are ripe.
It's already in all of those countries but is just getting started.

Reactions: tpmcg
Rush says it’s no worse than the common cold. But if he’s wrong, not to worry. Jim Baker has a potion that will kill the virus within 12 hours. It also kills VD. #firstamendmentparasites.

Rush says it’s no worse than the common cold. But if he’s wrong, not to worry. Jim Baker has a potion that will kill the virus within 12 hours. It also kills VD. #firstamendmentparasites.
Iran is reporting just over 60 positively ID'd cases of Covid-19 with a 25% death rate. I would assume that they've had way more cases than they're officially admitting to. Italy's death rate so far is running above 3% but I would assume that some of the 230 recently reported cases will end in fatalities which would drive up their mortality rate. This is just a wee bit more severe than the common cold.Winking The CDC is telling us now to be prepared for school closures and work interruptions.

Reactions: husker2612
Even with the new "outbreaks in South Korea and Italy the total active cases have continued to decreased for 7 straight days.

UPDATE: I just read the CDC as issued a statement, saying "U.S. health officials issued a strong warning about novel coronavirus on Tuesday -- that it's no longer a matter of if, but when it will spread in the U.S., and that Americans should prepare for a "significant disruption."
https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...cans-significant-disruption/story?id=69190968

Last edited:
Corona viruses are nothing new. Strains have been around for years. Animal agriculture has been dealing with strains and vaccinating for years for Corona virus.

Problem is a Corona virus changes and mutates. Basically, a CV isn't always the same CV. So IMO a vaccination might be fruitless and a treatment for the symptoms would be of more benefit. My guess is if similar to livestock you're going to be fighting diarrhea and respiratory. Thankful for no deaths in the US so far.

Even with the new "outbreaks in South Korea and Italy the total active cases have continued to decreased for 7 straight days.
The delays and inaction of china, followed by quarantines, you're bound to have some effective scenaios at ground zero.
But, everyone running around with masks, millions avoiding going back home to ground zero, it's those things keeping the numbers down, not sure everyone else has done such things, and if they do, it's only after it gets a toehold.
North Korea is persona non grata here, and it is known its hit there, with less abilities of all countries.
This isnt over

Per OWH: The University of Nebraska Medical Center has begun the first clinical trial in the United States of an experimental treatment for the new coronavirus.

The first participant to enroll in the trial is an American who was brought to the UNMC campus after being evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship off the coast of Japan. The person volunteered to participate.

He or she is among 14 people from the ship who are under quarantine at UNMC — 12 in the National Quarantine Unit and two in the separate Nebraska Biocontainment Unit.
https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebra...cle_e31f3f6d-9279-5a04-8720-7aff6f935c8b.html

Per OWH: The University of Nebraska Medical Center has begun the first clinical trial in the United States of an experimental treatment for the new coronavirus.

The first participant to enroll in the trial is an American who was brought to the UNMC campus after being evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship off the coast of Japan. The person volunteered to participate.

He or she is among 14 people from the ship who are under quarantine at UNMC — 12 in the National Quarantine Unit and two in the separate Nebraska Biocontainment Unit.
https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebra...cle_e31f3f6d-9279-5a04-8720-7aff6f935c8b.html
This would make sense to me

Iran is reporting just over 60 positively ID'd cases of Covid-19 with a 25% death rate. I would assume that they've had way more cases than they're officially admitting to. Italy's death rate so far is running above 3% but I would assume that some of the 230 recently reported cases will end in fatalities which would drive up their mortality rate. This is just a wee bit more severe than the common cold.Winking The CDC is telling us now to be prepared for school closures and work interruptions.
Former CDC director said that up to 50% of infections are symptom free...so we have an exceptionally contagious virus, but half of those infections become carriers only, and those with compromised symptoms are pretty much guaranteed to be exposed and it is very deadly to people older than 80 or with cardiovascular disease. Health care professionals are also risk because of the possibility of high virus loads and weakened systems due to overwork. I've always been confused with mortality numbers concerning people older than 80 and with comorbid conditions. A simple cold could easily become pneumonia in such people and I have to imagine millions of people fitting this pattern die every winter from illness. Young doctors aren't killed by their diseases though.

I wish this take was spot on. Unfortunately VDay is over. God help us.

every year there’s a scare. How much do you want to bet this falls out of the news cycle and is never talked about again by Valentines Day?

Its symptoms are indistinguishable from the flu. The mortality rate is less than, THE FLU. 200k die every year in China from, wait for it, THE FLU.

So many people are now experts on this virus because of their TV scare propaganda.

We will all be okay. In a month there will be nobody talking about this. I’ll bump this thread then

I pointed out in an earlier post that China had changed their method of calling something a Covid-19 infection which was seemingly slowing the spread. Just yesterday though the Chinese president stated that "the situation is dire" regarding the Corona virus. Information out of there is shaky at best. What is more concerning is the cases popping up in Italy and Germany which nobody can trace. You keep dismissing the severity of this virus but when you have a 29 year old Dr. and somewhere between 20-40% of the deaths occurring in people under the age of 60, this is not a mild virus. A Harvard professor said today that this will likely have infected between 40-70% of the world's population including the U.S. within a year. If the death rate approaches anywhere near the 2% that we've read for weeks, that is a LOT of people. Roughly up to 112 million people could die from this virus if his estimates are correct. We would lose more than a few posters off of this board I would bet.
The death rate for people younger than 50 is 0.2%, and that is with young people who actually showed up to a hospital. Up to 50% of these people will be carriers only according to the CDC or very mild symptoms. Doctors in such situations are susceptible to overwork and high virus loads...and with little immunity it can be deadly. Also 3k medical professionals have been sickened and we are looking a few very young ones dying...scary but not anywhere near spanish flu level.

CDC: 80,000 people died of flu last winter in U.S., highest death toll in 40 years
By ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEPTEMBER 26, 2018

The 2017-2018 flu season was terrible, hopefully this Corona virus can be fought, but to what extent? When more cases reach/start in the US, the rubber meets the road, will people here be able to fight it off before a viable vaccine becomes available? :(

CDC: 80,000 people died of flu last winter in U.S., highest death toll in 40 years
By ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEPTEMBER 26, 2018

The 2017-2018 flu season was terrible, hopefully this Corona virus can be fought, but to what extent? When more cases reach/start in the US, the rubber meets the road, will people here be able to fight it off before a viable vaccine becomes available? :(
Thats the hope, buying time

Former CDC director said that up to 50% of infections are symptom free...so we have an exceptionally contagious virus, but half of those infections become carriers only, and those with compromised symptoms are pretty much guaranteed to be exposed and it is very deadly to people older than 80 or with cardiovascular disease. Health care professionals are also risk because of the possibility of high virus loads and weakened systems due to overwork. I've always been confused with mortality numbers concerning people older than 80 and with comorbid conditions. A simple cold could easily become pneumonia in such people and I have to imagine millions of people fitting this pattern die every winter from illness. Young doctors aren't killed by their diseases though.

A 29 year old Dr. in China died from this. You had better go walk through your local medical clinic and hospital and figure out what the age distribution is of people who work there. There's a LARGE number of people in their 50s and 60s working in health care. You act as though if you're over 50 you should just get it over with and die. Yes a fairly large number of elderly die from pneumonia linked to a primary viral infections, but the CDC says that somewhere between 12,000 and 60,000 deaths have occurred in the U.S. in the past decade from influenza in all age categories. They suggest a mortality rate in the U.S. of less than .1%. That is less than one in a thousand. If an elderly patient in my state dies from pneumonia linked to influenza it makes the news. You forget that virtually every single person over the age of 60 gets annual flu vaccine and it is mandatory in nursing homes. You can not compare the Covid-19 which there is no vaccine for with influenza IN THE U.S.

Like usual, Rush doesn't know shit. You remember SARS and MERS? 1 of 10 that contracted SARS died. 1 of 3 that contracted MERS died. They are both coronaviruses.

Now, those were cases where healthcare isn't nearly as good as it is in the U.S. but nonetheless, this isn't your average flu. Generally, the better your immune system, the better your chances. But young kids and the ederly don't have as good of immune systems, and are at higher risk.

They are currently trying remdesivir on a case at the Med Center, which is what they used on the Ebola virus. The manufacturer has also sent product to China to set up clinical trials. Keep your fingers crossed..

healthcare isn't nearly as good as it is in the U.S. ..
not picking on you, I just wanted to sort of argue this point to the rest of the board, that in some places, yes the US health care is absolutely top notch.. but it's not like that across the entirety of the United States.. I mean, has anyone been to Immanuel in Omaha in the last 5 years?

I also wanted to challenge the notion that the rest of the world has poor health care too.. Once again, I think it really depends where you go.

I had a procedure done in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, at a hospital there that turned out to be top notch (and saved me a lot of money). All the physicians were trained in the UK, and I was pretty impressed with their procedures and how things were handled and ran.

So in my mind, excellent healthcare facilities do exist, all over the world, but they are not everywhere, and I get the feeling that the US health care system also has these normalities, meaning depending on where you go things could vary from excellent, to poor.

I really appreciate that on this Husker board that I can learn that the media is blowing this out of proportion, that the CDC is less informed than an untrained football fan.

in seriousness, if you aren’t a scientist, I wish you would hold your opinion of whether something like this is serious or not and when it will go away.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
I really appreciate that on this Husker board that I can learn that the media is blowing this out of proportion, that the CDC is less informed than an untrained football fan.

in seriousness, if you aren’t a scientist, I wish you would hold your opinion of whether something like this is serious or not and when it will go away.

Most of us know way more than all of our football coaches too. RollingLaugh

For sub 50 somethings, it may not be too bad of a deal as long as you don't have asthma or some other preexisting health condition. For the rest of us, this is very serious.
I have no idea what the death rate for flu or other illnesses are. For this it is;
10-19- .2%
20-29- .2%
30-39- .2%
40-49- .4%
50-59- 1.3%
60-69- 3.6%
70-79- 8.0%
80+ 14.8%

Plus factor in that only .9% of deaths had no preexisting condition.

I have no idea what the death rate for flu or other illnesses are. For this it is;
10-19- .2%
20-29- .2%
30-39- .2%
40-49- .4%
50-59- 1.3%
60-69- 3.6%
70-79- 8.0%
80+ 14.8%

Plus factor in that only .9% of deaths had no preexisting condition.

Flu hovers between 0.1-0.2%. This is currently hovering around an overall of 3%. The good news is the definitive fatality rate is probably lower as it is highly dependent on accurate diagnostic numbers which we probably don't have. This is because we know you can be both infectious and asymptomatic. The bad news is because we are unable to accurately track who is infectious it makes containment a nightmare.

The end result is this is not like the Flu, will likely become a pandemic, and cause an untold number of casualties across the globe.

Last bit of good news is that China is reporting less confirmed cases today than yesterday so hopefully at least in China it has reached its peak.

https://covid19info.live/

I was just looking at data so far on the mortality rate. Of 81,296 cases, there have been 2,770 deaths. This equates to a mortality rate of 3.4%. 34 times that of the typical flu.

However, of the cases that have been "closed," meaning that the virus has run its course, and the person either survived or died, the mortality rate is 8%. This is the more reliable number, IMO, because many of those that have contracted the virus are still in the early stages. That mortality rate would be 80 times that of the typical flu.

The problem with this virus is that it has a longer incubation period than the SARS virus, meaning that it can be spread much more readily than SARS before the host knows they have it.

Fortunately these mortality rates would be much lower, IMO, with the quality of healthcare in the U.S.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Flu hovers between 0.1-0.2%. This is currently hovering around an overall of 3%. The good news is the definitive fatality rate is probably lower as it is highly dependent on accurate diagnostic numbers which we probably don't have. This is because we know you can be both infectious and asymptomatic. The bad news is because we are unable to accurately track who is infectious it makes containment a nightmare.

The end result is this is not like the Flu, will likely become a pandemic, and cause an untold number of casualties across the globe.

Last bit of good news is that China is reporting less confirmed cases today than yesterday so hopefully at least in China it has reached its peak.

https://covid19info.live/
My only problem with chinas numbers, they took a huge jump, said they were catching up, now they need people back to work, suddenly, the numbers are down.
My question is, down from how china counted them, or from real new cases?

Reactions: dinglefritz
[
My only problem with chinas numbers, they took a huge jump, said they were catching up, now they need people back to work, suddenly, the numbers are down.
My question is, down from how china counted them, or from real new cases?
It's pretty tough to know what China's numbers mean. The mortality rate (2.6%)thus far in the outbreak in Italy is probably what we could expect though. The really interesting thing to watch will be what happens with the spread of the virus in a more developed country like Italy.

So if it becomes pandemic do you think people in this country will stop what their doing? How will they handle no sports or shopping? Will the state patrol and local sheriffs have road blocks? I don’t think anyone really knows how bad or not it really is. Usually the media makes a mountain out of a mole hill. We can’t just run and hide in our house and wait for it to blow over. I remember grandparents talking a polio,smallpox yellow fever, German measles. And there was nothing you could do about those diseases. We have modern medicine, great research facilities. Remember awhile back we were all going to get anthrax, because Iraq and Husain was going to unleash hell on America. The old saying calmer mind will prevail.

Have they said how long it takes the average person to recover. Im not saying those who are hospitalized. Is it like a standard cold virus a week maybe 2 of symptoms.

So if it becomes pandemic do you think people in this country will stop what their doing? How will they handle no sports or shopping? Will the state patrol and local sheriffs have road blocks? I don’t think anyone really knows how bad or not it really is. Usually the media makes a mountain out of a mole hill. We can’t just run and hide in our house and wait for it to blow over. I remember grandparents talking a polio,smallpox yellow fever, German measles. And there was nothing you could do about those diseases. We have modern medicine, great research facilities. Remember awhile back we were all going to get anthrax, because Iraq and Husain was going to unleash hell on America. The old saying calmer mind will prevail.
The media I don't trust, their whole purpose in life is to generate ratings and get "clicks" They tend to over dramatize everything. However the CDC doesn't benefit from clicks and drama. When they issued a statement the other day that the US should prepare for significant impact, it got my attention. I don't think we will get to lock down mode and cities shutting down like china, but probably not a stupid idea to stock up a little on some extra food and water in case grocery stores are out of stock for awhile. Make plans in case schools are shut down for a week or so ect...

Reactions: Sinomatic
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT