ADVERTISEMENT

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who is in her early 60s and traveling in Asia right now. Vietnam to be exact. This isn't fake anything to her right now. This is serious crap. When they start quarantining cruise ships with 6000 people on board that should tell the uneducated that government health departments are taking this thing VERY VERY seriously. This isn't just some hoax blown up by the media. In just a few weeks this virus has already infected more people than SARS and the number of infections is doubling every day. IF you're over 60 or if you have a toddler or baby, this is something we don't want to take off in the U.S. We developed a flu shot for a reason. Flu still kills thousands of people in our country some of whom had the vaccination. Right now our government is trying to minimize the risk posed in the media. BUT in the meantime they are working frantically to get a vaccine rolled out.

A little over a month ago that could have been me, my spouse and 12 other folks from the U of I. You're right - I take it very seriously as do many other folks. My spouse just had a student who arrived from China a little over a week ago (right before this whole thing blew up.) Many universities have students/profs who go to China and Chines students/profs who come to the US for study.

Given your seeming lack of concern for babies and old people I think it was a completely logical question.Winking

I don't have a lack of concern. I'm just honest. Every year the flu and similar viruses kill the old and very young. If you want to have a good convo, cut out the fallacy.

I don't want to minimize you or anyone's fears. There have been events like this that have come and gone over the years and nothing comes of it. So you can understand mine and others hesitation to believe the world is ending. Yes the US and other countries are taking it seriously, as they should. This is a new strain, they don't know 100% for sure what it will do or how it will act. I would hope they take precautionary measures. Those measures are probably what have stopped major outbreaks in years past.
To address the bolded comment. Pharmacy is a multi billion dollar industry. What better way to dramatically increase revenue than to scare people half to death with doomsday virus, push out a vaccine for it and watch the masses come running waving their dollar bills.
Again everyone has the right to their opinions and to be afraid. As of right now this is nothing more to be afraid of than the common flu. If it becomes more than that I will be the first admitting my wrong and running for the hills.
The common flu has a vaccination available for at risk populations. Corona V doesn't yet. THAT is the problem. I don't believe that the CDC is pushing the development of a Corona V vaccine to promote revenues for "big pharma". Do you think that is what the flu vaccination recommendations are about? It's a helluva lot cheaper to vaccinate people than to treat them in the hospital. Viral infections cost this country I'm sure billions of dollars of medical costs and lost productivity every year. Look at what the quarantines are costing China, the airlines and the cruise industries right now. Personally I am not afraid yet for my health. It may get there. We'll know more in a month or so I suspect.

The common flu has a vaccination available for at risk populations. Corona V doesn't yet. THAT is the problem. I don't believe that the CDC is pushing the development of a Corona V vaccine to promote revenues for "big pharma". Do you think that is what the flu vaccination recommendations are about? It's a helluva lot cheaper to vaccinate people than to treat them in the hospital. Viral infections cost this country I'm sure billions of dollars of medical costs and lost productivity every year. Look at what the quarantines are costing China, the airlines and the cruise industries right now. Personally I am not afraid yet for my health. It may get there. We'll know more in a month or so I suspect.
Since when has the Flu been cured?!?!

Bernie says: Once again I ask for your pillow support.

A little over a month ago that could have been me, my spouse and 12 other folks from the U of I. You're right - I take it very seriously as do many other folks. My spouse just had a student who arrived from China a little over a week ago (right before this whole thing blew up.) Many universities have students/profs who go to China and Chines students/profs who come to the US for study.
And there you have it. We have over a half million students in this country from China. Some of them no doubt have traveled back and forth.

You and the other have every right to be afraid. There have been events like this that have come and gone over the years and nothing comes of it. So you can understand mine and others hesitation to believe the world is ending. Yes the US and other countries are taking it seriously, as they should. This is a new strain, they don't know 100% for sure what it will do or how it will act. I would hope they take precautionary measures. Those measures are probably what have stopped major outbreaks in years past.
To address the bolded comment. Pharmacy is a multi billion dollar industry. What better way to dramatically increase revenue than to scare people half to death with doomsday virus, push out a vaccine for it and watch the masses come running waving their dollar bills.
Again everyone has the right to their opinions and to be afraid. As of right now this is nothing more to be afraid of than the common flu. If it becomes more than that I will be the first admitting my wrong and running for the hills.

This could all be a distraction from something else as well. The old "wag the dog" is ran almost as much as the half back dive and rarely does anyone notice. Kudos to you! Vigilance is key.

Intelligence isn't memorizing a book or a degree. Intelligence is taking the information around you and using it in a manner that benefits you. Hopefully that is paired with a good morale compass.

You wouldn't even know about it if it wasn't plastered everywhere. I haven't even read one blurb about this that even poses a fear, other than what people far smarter than everyone else act like they know what if could mutate into. The flu every year is far more scary IMO
When I first read about this it wasn't "plastered everywhere". I read stories from Reuters every day and pay particular attention to stories involving disease outbreaks due to my education and occupation. I didn't start this thread but was already well aware of what was going on. Again, my wife will be on the front line of this deal if it takes off in the U.S. We talk. The CDC seems to be at least a little concerned given the push for a vaccine. So much for "one blurb about this that even poses a fear". It would likely kill thousands in this country if it takes off here like it has in China and we're not ready with a vaccine. Daycares, nursing homes, hospitalized patients, people undergoing cancer treatments etc would be among the highest risk populations.

When I first read about this it wasn't "plastered everywhere". I read stories from Reuters every day and pay particular attention to stories involving disease outbreaks due to my education and occupation. I didn't start this thread but was already well aware of what was going on. Again, my wife will be on the front line of this deal if it takes off in the U.S. We talk. The CDC seems to be at least a little concerned given the push for a vaccine. So much for "one blurb about this that even poses a fear". It would likely kill thousands in this country if it takes off here like it has in China and we're not ready with a vaccine. Daycares, nursing homes, hospitalized patients, people undergoing cancer treatments etc would be among the highest risk populations.
Ok, boomer, time to go to bed.

My prediction is this will disappear soon when it's no longer handy. In fact, the more I read about it, the mortality rate, the amount infected, etc I'm more concerned with getting a cold which would interfere with my work. Much like the time I've wasted on here reading and responding.

Sorry for coming off brash. I just have a completely different take on this entire spectacle.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
100% yes I do, Money. Flu shots are a massive revenue stream. If they really cared about healing people the flu vaccine would be 100% effective. At best it is 60% effective at worst under 20%. Back in the day look at all the virus that were eliminated because of vaccines. That was with technology nothing close to what we have today. What is the last thing that has been "cured"? They have figured out there is much more money in keeping people sick vs healing them.
I will never ever ever get a flu shot. I will never have my kids get flu shot. My wife is a icu nurse and she and many of her colleagues don't believe in them because they have directly seen the very sick people who come into their ICU, sick with the flu, who got the vaccine.
I have had the flu once in my life (that Im aware of). The only reason I got it was because I was trapped in a house with my in laws (all who had the flu shot that year) who had. I was the last one to get in out of 10 of us. It is 100% a waste of money. I guess if you are elderly or severely immune compromised a 20-60% to not get the flu or minimize symptoms are better odds than nothing. For everyone else, not worth it.

My prediction is this will disappear soon when it's no longer handy. In fact, the more I read about it, the mortality rate, the amount infected, etc I'm more concerned with getting a cold which would interfere with my work. Much like the time I've wasted on here reading and responding.

Sorry for coming off brash. I just have a completely different take on this entire spectacle.
Amen. I'd be more worried about catching Flu in Lincoln or Omaha; the national hotbed for it.

Are you omnipotent? Quite the stance you've decided to take. What do you think I meant by "Nature" or better yet, what did you imply?
Nature is just the label we give the collective living things on planet Earth.

This thread reminds me why I don't come to this board very often. Apparently we should only care about this virus if it affects Americans. Who cares about folks in China? And let's throw in a conspiracy theory or two. Then again, I'm one of those over 60 yrs of age folks so I guess I don't count for much anyway.

This thread reminds me why I don't come to this board very often. Apparently we should only care about this virus if it affects Americans. Who cares about folks in China? And let's throw in a conspiracy theory or two. Then again, I'm one of those over 60 yrs of age folks so I guess I don't count for much anyway.

You count just a little as the rest of us. You apparently just believe you care more by reading snippets and misapplying them

Reactions: bshirt73
I don't have a lack of concern. I'm just honest. Every year the flu and similar viruses kill the old and very young. If you want to have a good convo, cut out the fallacy.
Ok, name all these flus that have a non symptomatic contagious period of up to two weeks?
Get back to me on that one, I'd really like to know, as we do know this particular one does.

Ok, name all these flus that have a non symptomatic contagious period of up to two weeks?
Get back to me on that one, I'd really like to know, as we do know this particular one does.

you mean the flus that are far more contagious and have a much higher mortality rate? Those flus?

People almost spouting religion doesn't define a current problem.

Facts are, sars wasnt reported, and china aint rich.
Ok, so, sars not reported, under racted to by the chinese government, and it's been past it's total infection by this new mutation. It's still doubling as this time, not only has it been reported on by the chinese government early on, but, they shut down their biggest holiday of the year, new years, like our new years and Christmas thrown together, and then some because of its duration,which lasts weeks.
Besides canceling the holiday, they have shut down 50-60 million peoples ability to travel, quarantined them, they have spent tons of moneys, ticked 100s of millions of their people off by not having the holiday, and we have people naive enough to think this isn't a huge deal in china? And that we might also take procaution as well?

When your city gets quarantined, and you cant celebrate one that rd of your holidays for the year, and you read on the internet, its no big deal, really?

you mean the flus that are far more contagious and have a much higher mortality rate? Those flus?
They arent more contagious, that's exactly my point. The mortality rate matters little when you run right over the contagious factor, which you never addressed.
China doesn't put restrictions or out and out quarantine 60 million people on a whim. This is the flu I'm talking about, not those others.

They arent more contagious, that's exactly my point. The mortality rate matters little when you run right over the contagious factor, which you never addressed.
China doesn't put restrictions or out and out quarantine 60 million people on a whim. This is the flu I'm talking about, not those others.
I deal in facts. The flu infects more and has a higher mortality rate every year.

If this virus had a 2 week incubation and were infectious as you pose, this would be global right now and I wouldn’t be arguing with you.

What you’re doing is repeating the TV. I’d like to see more proof that this virus is more deadly and infectious than the flu and it’s not even close. Just hypothetically it is

I deal in facts. The flu infects more and has a higher mortality rate every year.

If this virus had a 2 week incubation and were infectious as you pose, this would be global right now and I wouldn’t be arguing with you.

What you’re doing is repeating the TV. I’d like to see more proof that this virus is more deadly and infectious than the flu and it’s not even close. Just hypothetically it is
Ok, china has done a ton more than theyve ever done, The world health organization has just issued a world wide emergency.
What I'm doing is math. If this keeps doubling every other day, and even if it has a 3% fatality rate, in two weeks,it reaches a million people, 3% who will be dead, thats 30,000.
Now,in a month? It wont be double that, more like 16 times that.

Thats facts, do the math, currently at over 7,000
Thats just chinas numbers by the way

Count me N. This will end up being more boogy-man BS from the media/governments. 90% of the time when they hype stuff up like this, it’s a huge nothing burger. Disease, weather, Russia. Idk how anyone has any faith left in this corporate web of lies.

Reactions: bshirt73
Count me N. This will end up being more boogy-man BS from the media/governments. 90% of the time when they hype stuff up like this, it’s a huge nothing burger. Disease, weather, Russia. Idk how anyone has any faith left in this corporate web of lies.
Are you saying their motive isn't clear, or, that you know what it is and their ends?

So far, very restricted movement, canceled holidays,quarantines, and 99% of this is in china.
Thats what we know, reports appear to be its doubling every other day, even under these restrictions.

My question is, starting out by screening and quarantined requirements, we still dont know if we can contain it here.
Whether this is just practice at prevention, or something worse, its a worthy attempt, because at some point, there'll be one that's much worse.

Ok, china has done a ton more than theyve ever done, The world health organization has just issued a world wide emergency.
What I'm doing is math. If this keeps doubling every other day, and even if it has a 3% fatality rate, in two weeks,it reaches a million people, 3% who will be dead, thats 30,000.

Ahh, so more hypotheticals.

Flu empirically much worse than corona

Ahh, so more hypotheticals.

Flu empirically much worse than corona
Math is hypothetical? Really? Look up the numbers, see the pattern, they are numbers, they are doubling every other day, knowing we currently have over 7000 people infected right now, in two weeks,it reaches one million.
All fact, if it doesnt change,pure fact,like math is

Math is hypothetical? Really? Look up the numbers, see the pattern, they are numbers, they are doubling every other day, knowing we currently have over 7000 people infected right now, in two weeks,it reaches one million.
All fact, if it doesnt change,pure fact,like math is

yes it is when used as a predication. Good lord.

The numbers arent exact of the numbers who die from flu in this country, the numbers run from 3000 to 49000 per year, but the higher number is always challenged.
If this flu reaches a hundred thousand people, 3000 will be dead from it,already the low number acredited to deaths in this country.

If? I thought the math was undeniable.
It is.
So,theres no ifs in your reality? You are certain it wont continue to do what its done?
If so, tell us. Dont hide. Tell us, tell us that this flu wont go up, wont stay the same, but is guaranteed to change within two weeks.
We want your facts, your reality, to set aside any worries.

For those familiar with Reddit

Scroll down to EnterpriseF’s post (it’s the one with 177 awards on it)

For those who are not.. sorry. On mobile and copying Reddit posts is incredibly stupid to do

For those familiar with Reddit

Scroll down to EnterpriseF’s post (it’s the one with 177 awards on it)

For those who are not.. sorry. On mobile and copying Reddit posts is incredibly stupid to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT