ADVERTISEMENT

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will all be okay. In a month there will be nobody talking about this. I’ll bump this thread then
Fast forward one month to c3o's eulogy thread. He was a fine husker fan who painted memorial stadium landscapes in his spare time after watching every episode of Bob Ross.

Reactions: Bugeater and c3o
In the category of "things that make you go hmmmm" ... I was on a flight from Los Angeles to Chicago yesterday. Among the other passengers were four who were obviously Oriental. All four wore medical masks over their mouths
You probably didn’t catch Coronavirus but you may have developed a case of xenophobia

Climate change gonna get us first
Scientists have just discovered 83 new viruses and mold spores that are being released from the melting ice. Going to assume our bodies have no way to fight these off, since we have never been exposed to them. It is amazing to imagine the human population makes it another 100 years at the rate we are going.

Here are the stats on Flu....

20,000,000 infected, 250000 hospitalizations...20000 dead...

You are looking at a 10% mortality rate for people who are hospitalized for the flu. But only 1% of those infected are ever hospitalized. 800 have been hospitalized for the C-virus...but the mortality rate is only around 4%. Of those there have likely been many more that never needed care. We don't know the demographics of those who are killed and if they are people that already have compromised immune systems or damage respiratory systems...common in china. Remember that the Spanish flu had a low estimate of 13% mortality of every person infected. And some areas in Africa, India, China were sitting at mortality rates of 40% of infected. So not doomsday yet. But good practice for the real species killer.
The initial report on the Chicago case that I cited was incorrect. The woman actually returned the U.S. from China on January 14th. They don't know apparently when she was infected with the virus so it's tough to say for sure based or case how long the incubation period is. A good guess would be 1-2 weeks. Animal Corona viruses incubation periods can be less than a week and they may persist in the environment for a fairly long period of time so they don't require direct contact to spread.

The article I read says she returned from China January 13
Yep. Just heard that last night on TV. The original story I read online had her back in Chicago at the end of December. In the rush to be first to report somebody obviously got it wrong...including me by repeating it.

Reactions: bluenrg
Scientists have just discovered 83 new viruses and mold spores that are being released from the melting ice. Going to assume our bodies have no way to fight these off, since we have never been exposed to them. It is amazing to imagine the human population makes it another 100 years at the rate we are going.

Doesn’t matter, sharknados the size of Texas will be consuming all of humanity within the next decade.

In the category of "things that make you go hmmmm" ... I was on a flight from Los Angeles to Chicago yesterday. Among the other passengers were four who were obviously Oriental. All four wore medical masks over their mouths
"oriental"?

every year there’s a scare. How much do you want to bet this falls out of the news cycle and is never talked about again by Valentines Day?

Its symptoms are indistinguishable from the flu. The mortality rate is less than, THE FLU. 200k die every year in China from, wait for it, THE FLU.

So many people are now experts on this virus because of their TV scare propaganda.

We will all be okay. In a month there will be nobody talking about this. I’ll bump this thread then
Agree, fear sells. Normally they try to scare people with flu outbreak. This year isn't as bad. So they have to find something else to scare people with and sell news. So far an estimated 1300 people are sick. 27 have died. So far it is nothing to fear more than the flu. The only deaths at this point are the elderly. Same with the flu. The average person who gets it will, feel like crap for a week or 2 and return to normal.

Reactions: c3o
Yeah, I think that’s obsolete and considered racist now. I don’t know what they’ll do with the Orient Express.
Apparently people who come from the Orient (still a thing) aren't orientals anymore. Another politically correct idea run amuck. The next thing is we won't be able to call anybody Canadians anymore. On second thought I guess that is pretty offensive.

Apparently people who come from the Orient (still a thing) aren't orientals anymore. Another politically correct idea run amuck. The next thing is we won't be able to call anybody Canadians anymore. On second thought I guess that is pretty offensive.
Don't call em canucks eh, they may tell you to puck off.

"Oriental" is considered derogatory because it makes people with Asian American ancestry sound exotic, which reinforces xenophobia. "Oriental" is an outdated term used to describe people from parts of Asia that were exotic to most Americans at one time. In an isolated message board setting the term may seem benign, but if used systematically (like it was in US Federal language up until 2016) it can start to have the ramification of delegitimizing Americans with Asian ancestry as being "real" Americans. The term "Orient," on the hand, is different because it's not referring to people.

Last edited:
As someone who spent the Thanksgiving holiday in China (Shanghai, Chengdu & Guangzhou), Hong Kong as well as the airport in Taiwan I'm breathing a sigh of relief that we made it home before this whole thing started.

It’s weird since a lot of Asians still use that term and don’t care if anyone else does either.
But there’s a segment here in America that doesn’t like it so...

Reactions: dinglefritz
My very sweet and religious grandmother was giving the blessing at my cousins wedding many years ago. My cousin was marrying a guy named Kirk, but went by Ki because his dad was also Kirk.

Before the prayer she gave a little toast and she said, ‘When I heard Erin was dating a guy named Ki, I thought, where did she meet an Oriental in Iowa?....’

Everybody looked around very quickly to see if there was anybody who would be offended. My grandma is deeply religious, super naive, and not at all racist. The idea that not only are there no Asians in Iowa and if there were, how did Erin meet them? And on top of that they preferred to be called ‘orientals’ cracks me the hell up.

Nobody asked her to give the blessing at a wedding until I did many years later. I was hoping for a Polack comment in regards to my wife.

"Oriental" is considered derogatory because it makes people with Asian American ancestry sound exotic, which reinforces xenophobia. "Oriental" is an outdated term used to describe people from parts of Asia that were exotic to most Americans at one time. In an isolated message board setting the term may seem benign, but if used systematically (like it was in US Federal language up until 2016) it can start to have the ramification of delegitimizing Americans with Asian ancestry as being "real" Americans. The term "Orient," on the hand, is different because it's not referring to people.
I view your post as a re-iteration of more made up B.S. by people looking for reasons to be offended. IF I hail from an area legitimately called the "Orient" then I am an Oriental. I hail though from America so I call myself an American. More appropriately I should probably say North American but then I would be lumped in with Canadians. I think it's a bunch of hogwash. I got the same politically correct crap from my wife the other day. Personally I don't use "Oriental" unless I'm unsure of the national origin of someone but even then I generally use Asian. I just think it's really odd that we've gone down this path. What the hell is the difference between calling someone an Asian or an Oriental? It's purely perception forced on us by people wanting to be offended. Nowhere have I even once found anybody that says using the term "Orient" is derogatory but then we presume that saying someone is "Oriental" is derogatory? Good gravy.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
My very sweet and religious grandmother was giving the blessing at my cousins wedding many years ago. My cousin was marrying a guy named Kirk, but went by Ki because his dad was also Kirk.

Before the prayer she gave a little toast and she said, ‘When I heard Erin was dating a guy named Ki, I thought, where did she meet an Oriental in Iowa?....’

Everybody looked around very quickly to see if there was anybody who would be offended. My grandma is deeply religious, super naive, and not at all racist. The idea that not only are there no Asians in Iowa and if there were, how did Erin meet them? And on top of that they preferred to be called ‘orientals’ cracks me the hell up.

Nobody asked her to give the blessing at a wedding until I did many years later. I was hoping for a Polack comment in regards to my wife.
At least she didn't use the terms Jap or gook like my dad used to say before he died several decades ago. As a service member from WW II, I think we can forgive him for that.

Agree, fear sells. Normally they try to scare people with flu outbreak. This year isn't as bad. So they have to find something else to scare people with and sell news. So far an estimated 1300 people are sick. 27 have died. So far it is nothing to fear more than the flu. The only deaths at this point are the elderly. Same with the flu. The average person who gets it will, feel like crap for a week or 2 and return to normal.
I don't think you can make those generalizations yet about this only killing the elderly. In animals Corona viruses often kills the young and can cause abortions. Some corona viruses in animals kill adult healthy animals as well. One possibility is that it might produce chronic carriers of the virus who shed intermittently as well. That would be a nightmare and would likely necessitate a worldwide vaccination effort.

At least she didn't use the terms Jap or gook like my dad used to say before he died several decades ago. As a service member from WW II, I think we can forgive him for that.

She had no idea it was an offensive term.

And yeah, if you fought in WWII in the pacific or Korea, I’ll give you the pass on your offensive language.

I don't know dude...how many mold spores and viruses are released every time we dig a mine? If bacteria can live in ice, it can live in a gold mine 6k feet down. Very few viruses are adapted to humans, the chances that one in melting ice happens to also be adapted to us is less likely than one of the pandemic ones mutating and killing us.

I view your post as a re-iteration of more made up B.S. by people looking for reasons to be offended. IF I hail from an area legitimately called the "Orient" then I am an Oriental. I hail though from America so I call myself an American. More appropriately I should probably say North American but then I would be lumped in with Canadians. I think it's a bunch of hogwash. I got the same politically correct crap from my wife the other day. Personally I don't use "Oriental" unless I'm unsure of the national origin of someone but even then I generally use Asian. I just think it's really odd that we've gone down this path. What the hell is the difference between calling someone an Asian or an Oriental? It's purely perception forced on us by people wanting to be offended. Nowhere have I even once found anybody that says using the term "Orient" is derogatory but then we presume that saying someone is "Oriental" is derogatory? Good gravy.
calling somebody Asian is like calling somebody north american. It is a meaningless term unless meant to be derogatory. Calling somebody oriental is even worse. Honestly it just shows ignorance and isolation more than malice but I think it is important for Americans to realize that people from Japan, China, Korea, Myanmar, Thailand, Philippines, India, Indonesia are all dramatically different from one another, even if a white american can't "see it". Seeing people from the continent of Asia as one people is as racist as it gets.

To be clear I am offended by the stupidity not by the malice...I don't think there is any. But this sort of stupidity shades our foreign relations with the some of the most powerful, populous humans from the past and the present.

calling somebody Asian is like calling somebody north american. It is a meaningless term unless meant to be derogatory. Calling somebody oriental is even worse. Honestly it just shows ignorance and isolation more than malice but I think it is important for Americans to realize that people from Japan, China, Korea, Myanmar, Thailand, Philippines, India, Indonesia are all dramatically different from one another, even if a white american can't "see it". Seeing people from the continent of Asia as one people is as racist as it gets.
And you don't think white Americans or Americans in general aren't very very different especially from region to region. It's ridiculous. Again, it's just people looking for a reason to be offended. Basically what you're saying is that somebody from Cedar County should be offended by being called a Nebraskan or midwesterner. I know, I know that's where society has gone but I think it's ludicrous.

It's a chicken and egg conundrum. If we didn't have leaders proposing to ban people in this country based on things like religion then maybe those calling for things to be PC wouldn't have to

Ugh, I voted for W. twice. Unfortunately, I didn't land on MSNBC, it landed on me.
If you watch MSNBC and honestly believe more than about 3% of what they say, there's no hope for you. NOW I understand where you're coming from with the "Oriental" stuff. I watch a few minutes of MSNBC per day just to see what the talking points are from the looney left. Personally I prefer to read Reuters news wire stories to get varied actual news reports from around the world. The "new" channels are WAY more opinion and spin than they are news.

The latest U.S. case diagnosed in Chicago is in a woman who returned from China in late December. IF the incubation is that long, God help us. There could be hundreds if not thousands of people incubating and maybe spreading the virus already in the U.S. They're supposedly screening arrivals from some areas of China but there's no way in hell they can adequately ensure that people aren't incubating the disease.

It's only contagious once someone has the symptoms. So not as exponentially dangerous as feared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT