ADVERTISEMENT

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per OWH: "The travelers, all of whom came to Omaha on Feb. 7 from the Wuhan, China, area, were catching commercial flights for home. They are headed to spots across the country — from Seattle to New York, said Joe Smith, a spokesman for the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

About a quarter of the 57 had headed out of Omaha’s Eppley Airfield by late Thursday morning. Almost all will be gone by Thursday night; the rest will trickle out Friday."

Since the active cases have decreased 2 days in row is it safe to assume this could be fizzling out? Death rate is also decreasing.

Since the active cases have decreased 2 days in row is it safe to assume this could be fizzling out? Death rate is also decreasing.
China has changed the what they consider a "positive" diagnosis. That has decreased the reported positive cases in China. It appears that the EXTREME measures a totalitarian state has taken have slowed the spread to some degree and that's good. I'm not sure it has been good for their citizens. I do also think that awareness and people using better hygiene procedures has probably helped some too. Make no mistake, it's coming to the U.S. It's just a matter of time.

Reactions: slwags
Idk, it is very likely that 40-70% of Wuhan has been exposed if it is as contagious and resilient as it sounds. It seems like the body fights it off quite easily IF the virus load is small and the person is younger than 50. The mortality rates are 0.2% for those <50 who have been identified, which means it is likely much lower. The best description of Covid I have heard is "heavy cold". Those who are older than 80 or with heart issues have a VERY high mortality rate...but these people have a much higher mortality rate from many things. The hospital workers who died likely took on such a heavy load of virus, with no rest, and the virus got the upper hand and into the lungs before the immune system could respond. Hospital workers always have much higher mortality rates than those of the same age in the general population. The cases are already dropping in Wuhan which tells me it has burned through the population, every region will have to experience this "passage" of the virus eventually unless we vaccinate or it loses its resiliency.
Now at least one Chinese Dr. has stated that it appears that people can still shed virus after they recover from clinical illness. That is something I figured might be the case as it is not uncommon in other mammalian Corona viruses. I would take any statistics you're using out of China with a grain of salt. As far as you age "guidelines" go there are multiple cases which don't fit your parameters. Yes the elderly are more susceptible but youth and previous good health are not a guarantee of recovery. They have found whole families dead in their homes after self quarantining in China. After traveling to Boston and back a few days ago, I can assure you that MOST people venturing ANYWHERE in public would be exposed to "heavy" virus loads if this thing gets going in the U.S. I don't care how much hand sanitizer you use.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
China has changed the what they consider a "positive" diagnosis. That has decreased the reported positive cases in China. It appears that the EXTREME measures a totalitarian state has taken have slowed the spread to some degree and that's good. I'm not sure it has been good for their citizens. I do also think that awareness and people using better hygiene procedures has probably helped some too. Make no mistake, it's coming to the U.S. It's just a matter of time.
Well, hopefully spring/ summer will be here by then and that should help stop it in its tracks.

Now at least one Chinese Dr. has stated that it appears that people can still shed virus after they recover from clinical illness. That is something I figured might be the case as it is not uncommon in other mammalian Corona viruses. I would take any statistics you're using out of China with a grain of salt. As far as you age "guidelines" go there are multiple cases which don't fit your parameters. Yes the elderly are more susceptible but youth and previous good health are not a guarantee of recovery. They have found whole families dead in their homes after self quarantining in China. After traveling to Boston and back a few days ago, I can assure you that MOST people venturing ANYWHERE in public would be exposed to "heavy" virus loads if this thing gets going in the U.S. I don't care how much hand sanitizer you use.

How much longer do you think China stays in Lockdown mode?

How much longer do you think China stays in Lockdown mode?
I read an article this morning that said they are moving to a "containment" approach. I'm not sure what that means but obviously the quarantines while it may have slowed things some, didn't stop it. IMO, given their lifestyles and healthcare, I don't think there's much the Chinese can do anymore.

Reactions: husker2612
Yea, there was a run on baby seals in the aleutians, weak aleutes dying on far away islands
My longtime girlfriend is an Aleut, born and raised in Chignik Lagoon.

Do you view all ethnicities with as much disdain as you just showed for the proud people that populated this Continent?

You suck!

My longtime girlfriend is an Aleut, born and raised in Chignik Lagoon.

Do you view all ethnicities with as much disdain as you just showed for the proud people that populated this Continent?

You suck!
What disdain? Where the hells your brain at? What were they eating in 1918? Answer that first, then explain to the guy I responded to, the Aleut people weren't eating can goods in 1918.

Or, are you disdaining the Aleut peoples by attributing them things they rarely did?
And to keep it in context, I was refering to how the spanish flu managed to find its killing ways to remote Aleutian islands, where can goods, and much outside commerce were rare.

My obvious point is, they lived off the land, and yes, theyate seals too, so learn up

Last edited:
My data involves epidemiology reports from February 17th...the virus rarely infects children, and the mortality rate for age groups between 18-50 are identical. It doesn't look to be anymore deadly than influenza considering the mild cases aren't counted...0.2% of known cases among younger than 50 is similar to influenza...I am guessing an 80+ year old in Wuhan, with cardiovascular disease gets Influenza they have a 50% chance of death. It might be more contagious than influenza but considering china has likely had 40 million cases of influenza since Covid first broke out, and has likely had 40k deaths from influenza, undoubtedly some of them counted as Covid deaths.

Reactions: bluenrg
My data involves epidemiology reports from February 17th...the virus rarely infects children, and the mortality rate for age groups between 18-50 are identical. It doesn't look to be anymore deadly than influenza considering the mild cases aren't counted...0.2% of known cases among younger than 50 is similar to influenza...I am guessing an 80+ year old in Wuhan, with cardiovascular disease gets Influenza they have a 50% chance of death. It might be more contagious than influenza but considering china has likely had 40 million cases of influenza since Covid first broke out, and has likely had 40k deaths from influenza, undoubtedly some of them counted as Covid deaths.
Or, being the protectorate of the people, the other way around. Never know with china

Just curious, what is your background & knowledge in Epidemiology?

Iran has reported only 18 cases and already has 4 deaths. This Corona virus has caused 3 times as many deaths in 8 weeks as SARS did in 8 months. I do not for a minute believe the idea that this virus "rarely infects children". I believe that for whatever reason the rate of clinical infection may be lower. It may also just be under reported at this point. We'll know a whole bunch more as this takes off in developed countries with transparent medical information is available. I'm not sure where you get your stats on influenza in China from but they seem like a reach.

Reactions: kikdakan
What's spreading faster than coronavirus in the US? Racist assaults and ignorant attacks against Asians
By Holly Yan, Natasha Chen and Dushyant Naresh, CNN

Updated 6:02 PM ET, Fri February 21, 2020

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/us/coronavirus-racist-attacks-against-asian-americans/index.html
WHAT'S SPREADING FASTER THAN YOUR REPLY? VIRTUE SIGNALING.

Are You ‘Virtue Signaling’?
Probably. But that doesn’t mean your outrage is inauthentic.

By Jillian Jordan and David Rand
Dr. Jordan and Dr. Rand are psychologists, NYT
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/03/30/opinion/sunday/virtue-signaling.amp.html

Last edited:
Iran has reported only 18 cases and already has 4 deaths. This Corona virus has caused 3 times as many deaths in 8 weeks as SARS did in 8 months. I do not for a minute believe the idea that this virus "rarely infects children". I believe that for whatever reason the rate of clinical infection may be lower. It may also just be under reported at this point. We'll know a whole bunch more as this takes off in developed countries with transparent medical information is available. I'm not sure where you get your stats on influenza in China from but they seem like a reach.

SARS is also the coronovirus. So was MERS. Their are A LOT of types of the coronavirus. SARS was WAY more deadly than the current Wuhan. MERS was WAY worse than SARS.
Coronavirus is a type of virus, not the name of the current strand.
The fatality rate for SARS & MERS were well over the current 2% fatality rate of the Wuhan strand.
In 2015 I was a director of Epidemiology in the state with the first US case of MERS. We had to educate most the country about MERS then. Unfortunately, too many people are uneducated about the Wuhan. The corona virus is not new & is always prevalent.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
SARS is also the coronovirus. So was MERS. Their are A LOT of types of the coronavirus. SARS was WAY more deadly than the current Wuhan. MERS was WAY worse than SARS.
The fatality rate for SARS & MERS were well over the current 2% fatality rate of the Wuhan strand.
In 2015 I was a director of Epidemiology in the state with the first US case of MERS. We had to educate most the country about MERS then. Unfortunately, too many people are uneducated about the Wuhan. The corona virus is not new & is always prevalent.
*there

What's spreading faster than coronavirus in the US? Racist assaults and ignorant attacks against Asians
By Holly Yan, Natasha Chen and Dushyant Naresh, CNN

Updated 6:02 PM ET, Fri February 21, 2020

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/us/coronavirus-racist-attacks-against-asian-americans/index.html

Why would you risk the locking of an informative, interesting thread like this by injecting sociopolitical drama in to it? And be certain to use big and bold fonts too.

That is why I phrased it "THIS Corona virus". I understand that there are multiple strains of corona viruses with varying degrees of pathogenicity and prevalence. As an epidemiologist you should appreciate what is going on in Italy right now apparently stemming from one asymptomatic carrier. Yikes. We better hope that school is out for the summer when this thing gets rolling here.

Reactions: kikdakan

Influenza has killed at least 1.7 million people in china since Sars hit....just imagine if SARS had stayed endemic and killed nearly 2 million since its inception...I think there is a major disconnect between fear from a mild NOVEL virus and things that kill millions every year. Millions of Chinese are going to die this year from co-morbid conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and a whole slew of respiratory illnesses, and their deaths will be expedited by a number of common viruses and infections that healthy people fight off. The data is very clear...and has been compiled for about 70000 cases. >80% of the deaths involve people older than 80 or people with major system compromises, the major one being cardiovascular disease. 15% of cases seem to be severe, 5% critical, and 2% resulting in death. Again this is only the people who visit the clinics, clinics who cannot offer effective treatment. It does seem to be very contagious...and it will likely burn through every village, town, and city in the world over the next few years. The fear from it though will cause as many issues as just facing the reality that we another virus that is capable killing the sick and old with ease, and could kill a middle aged person in rare occasions.

Influenza has killed at least 1.7 million people in china since Sars hit....just imagine if SARS had stayed endemic and killed nearly 2 million since its inception...I think there is a major disconnect between fear from a mild NOVEL virus and things that kill millions every year. Millions of Chinese are going to die this year from co-morbid conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and a whole slew of respiratory illnesses, and their deaths will be expedited by a number of common viruses and infections that healthy people fight off. The data is very clear...and has been compiled for about 70000 cases. >80% of the deaths involve people older than 80 or people with major system compromises, the major one being cardiovascular disease. 15% of cases seem to be severe, 5% critical, and 2% resulting in death. Again this is only the people who visit the clinics, clinics who cannot offer effective treatment. It does seem to be very contagious...and it will likely burn through every village, town, and city in the world over the next few years. The fear from it though will cause as many issues as just facing the reality that we another virus that is capable killing the sick and old with ease, and could kill a middle aged person in rare occasions.
So far, add over 2000 to those deaths. That wasn't happening prior to the new novel virus, and it isn't done, nor do we truly know the numbers.
The chinese didnt build that new hospital and fill it up with just air, it wasn't needed before, up until now.
Does the action of creating a whole new hospital extremely quickly sound like anything the chinese government normally does?
Too many things we dont know, numbers especially. An open med system will solve some of this, plus, the health, age and the care they're given will be widely known, such as whats going on in south korea currently, then we will have a closer understanding how this may effect us.

I continue to be amused when somebody says "it only kills OLD people". Guess what, we have a pretty old general population. I would also point out that a 29 year old M.D. in China died from it. Healthcare workers need to be very concerned if this gets rolling before there is a vaccine available for at risk people. There won't be enough hospital beds available to care for the critically ill.

I heard 60 odd percent who were over 55 are the ones to have died.
But, I had to laugh as thry had nearly the same percentages for it killing men than women.
So, I remind everyone who thinks chinas on the up n up here, males dying at 60% are skewed numbers simply from chinas totalitarian laws, where you can't keep baby girls.

I heard 60 odd percent who were over 55 are the ones to have died.
But, I had to laugh as thry had nearly the same percentages for it killing men than women.
So, I remind everyone who thinks chinas on the up n up here, males dying at 60% are skewed numbers simply from chinas totalitarian laws, where you can't keep baby girls.

Actually the original policy was for one child, regardless of the sex of the child. In rural areas males were favored. However exceptions to the one child policy were allowed. Our very nice female guide at SCUT in Guangdong explained that she had a sibling, which apparently cost her parents extra $$$$$. (BTW our guide spoke excellent English and had a master's degree.)

In 2015 the rules were relaxed and families are now allowed to have 2 children. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/30/world/asia/china-end-one-child-policy.html

Actually the original policy was for one child, regardless of the sex of the child. In rural areas males were favored. However exceptions to the one child policy were allowed. Our very nice female guide at SCUT in Guangdong explained that she had a sibling, which apparently cost her parents extra $$$$$. (BTW our guide spoke excellent English and had a master's degree.)

In 2015 the rules were relaxed and families are now allowed to have 2 children. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/30/world/asia/china-end-one-child-policy.html
That regardless of the sex thing, girls could become burdens there, and didn't provide back to their parents as much as well. No dowry either.
But yea, I know, but I was referring to those most likely killed by the virus. It's not a discriminant killer.
That age group fits in those numbers.
It's not just china either
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/world/too-many-men/

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Influenza has killed at least 1.7 million people in china since Sars hit....just imagine if SARS had stayed endemic and killed nearly 2 million since its inception...I think there is a major disconnect between fear from a mild NOVEL virus and things that kill millions every year. Millions of Chinese are going to die this year from co-morbid conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and a whole slew of respiratory illnesses, and their deaths will be expedited by a number of common viruses and infections that healthy people fight off. .
"MILD NOVEL virus? Really? Mild? Governments don't start quarantining cities for a "mild virus". When you start quoting statistics you HAVE to consider some of the parameters of the statistics you quote. Influenza viruses actually infect many times the number of people reported as positively diagnosed. The actual percentage of fatalities from Influenza is vastly over stated due the fact that most influenza victims don't even seek medical care. Yes influenza is a prodigious killer but we have a vaccine to give us some protection IF we choose to use it. I don't know what will happen when this takes off in the U.S., but my educated guess is that we'll have large scale school and workplace closures. Our health professionals have ZERO protection against this virus and when they start getting sick, who takes care of the patients? Not having a vaccine is a HUGE problem for health professionals.

They're shutting down schools elsewheres outside of china, prohibiting travel etc, in Italy.
Like I said from the beginning, even if this is just a trial run for something worse, we, the public should respect it like we do tornadoes.

And, once again, its just another killer on the list. We talk about polio,plague etc, even used to talk about measles,but thats made a come back, and before anyone goes on about that being overblown, much of it has been contained through awareness and actions, like we are seeing, and should do.

"MILD NOVEL virus? Really? Mild? Governments don't start quarantining cities for a "mild virus". When you start quoting statistics you HAVE to consider some of the parameters of the statistics you quote. Influenza viruses actually infect many times the number of people reported as positively diagnosed. The actual percentage of fatalities from Influenza is vastly over stated due the fact that most influenza victims don't even seek medical care. Yes influenza is a prodigious killer but we have a vaccine to give us some protection IF we choose to use it. I don't know what will happen when this takes off in the U.S., but my educated guess is that we'll have large scale school and workplace closures. Our health professionals have ZERO protection against this virus and when they start getting sick, who takes care of the patients? Not having a vaccine is a HUGE problem for health professionals.
Corona virus has been over-reported because it can't possibly be tested in eastern china and "probable" cases and deaths are being lumped together without truly positive tests. And apparently the tests the Chinese are using aren't even accurate. I find it interesting that the time that influenza began to drop off in China...the last two weeks of february, we also see a slow down in corona virus cases. Obviously the outbreaks in South Korea, Italy , Iran are scary and I think this speaks to long incubation period for the virus....at this time the mortality rate is going to be well under 1% of those infected because so many are not going near the authorities in china. The communist party are locking up people they find in public, and placing healthy people in quarantine for weeks, even once sick people.

Reactions: bluenrg

And since they took those measures they have decreased CO2 emissions by 25% which equals something like 400 metric tons

Corona virus has been over-reported because it can't possibly be tested in eastern china and "probable" cases and deaths are being lumped together without truly positive tests. And apparently the tests the Chinese are using aren't even accurate. I find it interesting that the time that influenza began to drop off in China...the last two weeks of february, we also see a slow down in corona virus cases. Obviously the outbreaks in South Korea, Italy , Iran are scary and I think this speaks to long incubation period for the virus....at this time the mortality rate is going to be well under 1% of those infected because so many are not going near the authorities in china. The communist party are locking up people they find in public, and placing healthy people in quarantine for weeks, even once sick people.
I pointed out in an earlier post that China had changed their method of calling something a Covid-19 infection which was seemingly slowing the spread. Just yesterday though the Chinese president stated that "the situation is dire" regarding the Corona virus. Information out of there is shaky at best. What is more concerning is the cases popping up in Italy and Germany which nobody can trace. You keep dismissing the severity of this virus but when you have a 29 year old Dr. and somewhere between 20-40% of the deaths occurring in people under the age of 60, this is not a mild virus. A Harvard professor said today that this will likely have infected between 40-70% of the world's population including the U.S. within a year. If the death rate approaches anywhere near the 2% that we've read for weeks, that is a LOT of people. Roughly up to 112 million people could die from this virus if his estimates are correct. We would lose more than a few posters off of this board I would bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT