ADVERTISEMENT

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If indeed Trump did gut this department (which I don't know), you can bet that if this gets bad, he is going to take the blame right between the eyes.
I get what you mean but LOL at Trump taking blame for anything.

Like they were going to let a perfectly good tragedy go to waste? Not in these times.....and as November draws nigh, it's going to be fascinating to watch what people pull out of their backsides to do what they think improves their chances at the ballot box...and nothing is off limits, and it's going to be gross.

Yeah I don't know which side does that most, reacting to overseas conflict is one thing, but trying to fundamentally change the country wholesale is another ball of sh!t altogether.

Indeed (and still IBTL). One of his X-Man powers is deflecting blame. He blamed the drop in the stock market on an over-caffeinated Dem debate. Those predisposed to supporting him should take pause, however, because that was a pretty weak deflection.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
It's only a matter of time until this thread gets locked due to certain posters can't do anything without making it political.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
I know, right? Like how hard is it just to lay off the political side of it?

Yep. This was a really good post with a lot of information. Some jackballs have such a need to prove they are right that they will derail this thread.

Here is a tip; both Dems AND Repubs are crooked, deceitful, manipulating, and myopic idiots that are party before country.

Now back to the topic.

California is now reporting 8000+ are being monitored. Certainly not all have the virus, but that is a large number that can explode quickly.

I do think many other countries will be better suited to manage it.

I hope so. It's no surprise that the virus exploded in China. There are millions of people breathing extremely polluted air. Many smoke. The sanitary conditions are less than ideal (don't get me started on squat toilets and the lack of toilet paper and soap.)

Yep. This was a really good post with a lot of information. Some jackballs have such a need to prove they are right that they will derail this thread.

Here is a tip; both Dems AND Repubs are crooked, deceitful, manipulating, and myopic idiots that are party before country.

Now back to the topic.

California is now reporting 8000+ are being monitored. Certainly not all have the virus, but that is a large number that can explode quickly.
It was going to become politically charged, inevitably. Trump himself made it political.

Next people will be complaining about no clean water. And Trump hamstringed the Clean Water act, too. And he hamstringed the Clean Air Act. Soon, people will be complaining about pollution. And he hamstringed much of the entire EPA.

These are all facts.

It was going to become politically charged, inevitably. Trump himself made it political.

Next people will be complaining about no clean water. And Trump hamstringed the Clean Water act, too. And he hamstringed the Clean Air Act. Soon, people will be complaining about pollution. And he hamstringed much of the entire EPA.

These are all facts.

FFS, just can't help yourself can you?

These are all facts.

Let me make this crystal clear.

STOP. BRINGING. POLITICS. INTO. THIS. THREAD.

I would agree, with large-scale problems that require government to step in, it's hard for things to not get political.

As a nice change of pace, I'll ignore the political part of it for now and simply say, it is hard to know right now how bad this will be. The media loves a good catastrophe to report on, and right now this virus is only slightly more lethal than the flu (which is bad, but it's not like the Spanish Flu or the Black Death).

To me, the scary thing is how destabilizing this all is for the economy. Look at the Dow tanking. Also, what will the spread of this do for working class Americans that often do not have access to great medical care and have few options for paid time off to either recover or stay at home to avoid infection?

Stresses to the system often expose its flaws.

The market had been looking for a reason to crash for a 3 or 4 years since the original debt printing/qe from a decade ago petered out. The problem is when things are good the party in power takes credit and blame when it's bad. But the decisions that caused the downturns happened years ago when the other party was in power.

As much as I loathe the guy, trump got handed an anemic economy and blowhard and tax cuts can only keep it inflated for so long when the issues are so much larger. This was inevitable... the Corona virus is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Reactions: Crazyhole
The market had been looking for a reason to crash for a 3 or 4 years since the original debt printing/qe from a decade ago petered out. The problem is when things are good the party in power takes credit and blame when it's bad. But the decisions that caused the downturns happened years ago when the other party was in power.

As much as I loathe the guy, trump got handed an anemic economy and blowhard and tax cuts can only keep it inflated for so long when the issues are so much larger. This was inevitable... the Corona virus is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

There are 2 ways to contract the money supply: raise interest rates or take the inflation out of the stock market. A stock market collapse is actually in the FEDs best interest.

There are 2 ways to contract the money supply: raise interest rates or take the inflation out of the stock market. A stock market collapse is actually in the FEDs best interest.

Only if you believe they want 1929. They don't. That scares them infinitely more than the inflation monster that they pretend doesnt exist with statistical lies.

I agree in theory. Cut spending 50% and destroy the debt cancer. Good luck with that.

Only if you believe they want 1929. They don't. That scares them infinitely more than the inflation monster that they pretend doesnt exist with statistical lies.

I agree in theory. Cut spending 50% and destroy the debt cancer. Good luck with that.

I just know that it has to correct. A pretty good chunk of the 3 trillion in overseas dollars has been invested in the market, much of it having come from China. It just comes down to who takes the hit and I dont think the fed is nearly as concerned about private investors as much as they are about commercial banks. I see the fed looking at this as a way to burn up cash without destroying the private US debt market.

Like they were going to let a perfectly good tragedy go to waste? Not in these times.....and as November draws nigh, it's going to be fascinating to watch what people pull out of their backsides to do what they think improves their chances at the ballot box...and nothing is off limits, and it's going to be gross.

Uh oh, looks like a few snowflake conservatives got their feelings hurt, because their guy screwed this one up big time. And will he own up to it? Of course not. He's already blaming those 'meanies' in the media.

I hope for the sake of the people of the U.S. that this screw up doesn't cost us in terms of numerous lives. We had better all be saying prayers every day.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

Not that I'm really concerned about the election at this point, because getting through this without losing numerous lives is so much more important, but if this virus does end up spreading and wreaking havoc, nevern mind the media, Trump would get absolutely ripped apart by the American people. And yes, even his own supporters.

I just know that it has to correct. A pretty good chunk of the 3 trillion in overseas dollars has been invested in the market, much of it having come from China. It just comes down to who takes the hit and I dont think the fed is nearly as concerned about private investors as much as they are about commercial banks. I see the fed looking at this as a way to burn up cash without destroying the private US debt market.

Markets correct in many ways.

The single biggest correction needed is in the dollar market. All takes is foreign investors diversifying and saying enough. That would have the "happy" byproduct of keeping the bubble inflated and would be a "correction" in that sense.
This is 2007/8 writ large with different explosive factors and less calming influence because our president has no calming influence.

It's only a matter of time until this thread gets locked due to certain posters can't do anything without making it political.

How ironic it is that people would be bitching about someone making this political, after our President made it completely political when he gutted a program that could have given us more of a head start on a potential pandemic?

Let me say that again...he completely gutted a program, simply because his predecessor was in support of it. If it were because he thought we didn't need people researching the possibility of a pandemic, then he is even dumber than I thought.

How many rogue viruses have we experienced in the last 20 years that threatened to potentially become pandemics? The H1N1 took hundreds of thousands of lives just over 10 years ago. And we've had both SARS and MERS, both since 2000. Why would you completely gut a program like that with the recent world history of these viruses??

It makes no sense. Wait a second. Scratch that. It does make sense when you consider that Agent Orange has less understanding of Science than he does even the Constitution. I hope to God that gutting this program doesn't hang us out to dry.

How ironic it is that people would be bitching about someone making this political, after our President made it completely political when he gutted a program that could have given us more of a head start on a potential pandemic?

Let me say that again, he completely gutted a program, simply because his predecessor was in support of it. If it were because he thought we didn't need people researching the possibility of a pandemic, then he is even dumber than I thought.

How many rogue viruses have we experienced in the last 20 years that threatened to potentially become pandemics? The H1N1 took hundreds of thousands of lives just over 10 years ago. And we've had both SARS and MERS, both since 2000. Why would you completely gut a program like that with the recent world history of these viruses??

It makes no sense. Wait a second. Scratch that. It does make sense when you consider that Agent Orange has less understanding of Science than he does even the Constitution. I hope to God that gutting this program doesn't hang us out to dry.

triggered

Let me say that again...he completely gutted a program, simply because his predecessor was in support of it. If it were because he thought we didn't need people researching the possibility of a pandemic, then he is even dumber than I thought.

I'm gonna mark you as undecided come November :)

triggered

Sigh.. There's a word I don't hear enough. :rolleyes:I think people on both sides of the aisle should be pretty upset with him gutting this program. Did he sleep through SARS, MERS, and H1N1?? Did he sleep through the millions of cases of the common flu each year? Jeesh..

Sigh.. There's a word I don't hear enough. :rolleyes:I think people on both sides of the aisle should be pretty upset with him gutting this program. Did he sleep through SARS, MERS, and H1N1?? Did he sleep through the millions of cases of the common flu each year? Jeesh..

Yah, I'm sure you hear it a lot

Funding for the program was never cut so I dont understand what you mean by "gutting it"

I'm gonna mark you as undecided come November :)

I can't dislike you, lightspeed. Even if you are a fan of Trump, you're just too good-natured to dislike. :D

Truth be told, I play in a band where until recently the other 3 guys in thet band were Trump supporters. Some of my best friends ever. Good people. And believe it or not, I actually do support Trump on some issues.

Anyway, our drummer had to quit playing with us because of kids and traveling for work. We replaced him with another good guy, who is more so a moderate, which is where I would mostly fall along the continuum.

Anyway, this is one area where I don't understand why Trump would do what he did, but I will be saying prayers for him and for our country, and for the world to come through this without it turning into a once in 500-year pandemic.

Yah, I'm sure you hear it a lot

Nah, I actually don't, because most of the time words like "upset" or "angry" suffice for my friends and me. "Triggered" must be more of a millennial thing.

Trump did not gut CDC - his budget hasn't even been passed yet. He proposed CDC budget cuts but they haven't been voted on https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-cut-cdc-budget/ , this one might hold a little more weight https://apnews.com/d36d6c4de29f4d04beda3db00cb46104 BTW I used Snopes because it seems to be the liberal pilgrimage on this board.

And do us a favor and stop speaking in absolutes...Step outside of the echo chamber and breathe.

I can't dislike you, lightspeed. Even if you are a fan of Trump, you're just too good-natured to dislike. :D

Truth be told, I play in a band where until recently the other 3 guys in thet band were Trump supporters. Some of my best friends ever. Good people. And believe it or not, I actually do support Trump on some issues.

Anyway, our drummer had to quit playing with us because of kids and traveling for work. We replaced him with another good guy, who is more so a moderate, which is where I would mostly fall along the continuum.

Anyway, this is one area where I don't understand why Trump would do what he did, but I will be saying prayers for him and for our country, and for the world to come through this without it turning into a once in 500-year pandemic.

Thank you for the kind words...and my guess is you'd make a great neighbor who would loan me your help or a tool if I so needed it, and I the same.

Why don't you go ahead and detail the "untold damage" that Obama did to the country. We'll wait..

Economic growth for record quarters. Making healthcare available for all. He was never impeached either. Actually was never indicted in 2 terms. And neither were any of his associates.

I would be happy to. Hmmm...where do I start?

Lets see -

In reality, Mr. Obama has presided over some of the worst scandals of any president in recent decades. Here’s a partial list:

State Department email. In an effort to evade federal open-records laws, Mr. Obama’s first secretary of state set up a private server, which she used exclusively to conduct official business, including communications with the president and the transmission of classified material. A federal criminal investigation produced no charges, but FBI Director James Comey reported that the secretary and her colleagues “were extremely careless” in handling national secrets.

Operation Fast and Furious. The Obama Justice Department lost track of thousands of guns it had allowed to pass into the hands of suspected smugglers, in the hope of tracing them to Mexican drug cartels. One of the guns was used in the fatal 2010 shooting of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry. Congress held then-Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt when he refused to turn over documents about the operation.

IRS abuses. Mr. Obama’s Internal Revenue Service did something Richard Nixon only dreamed of doing: It successfully targeted political opponents. The Justice Department then refused to enforce Congress’s contempt citation against the IRS’s Lois Lerner, who refused to answer questions about her agency’s misconduct.

Benghazi. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three others were killed in the attack on a U.S. diplomatic compound in Libya. With less than two months to go before the 2012 election, the State Department falsely claimed the attack was not a terrorist attack but a reaction to an anti-Muslim film. Emails from the secretary later showed that she knew the attack was terrorism. Justice Department prosecutors even convinced a magistrate judge to jail the filmmaker.

Hacking. Mr. Obama presided over the biggest data breach in the federal government’s history, at the Office of Personnel Management. The hack exposed the personnel files of millions of federal employees and may end up being used for everything from identity theft to blackmail and espionage. OPM Director Katherine Archuleta, the president’s former political director, had been warned repeatedly about security deficiencies but took no steps to fix them.

Veterans Affairs. At least 40 U.S. veterans died waiting for appointments at a Phoenix VA facility, many of whom had been on a secret waiting list—part of an effort to conceal that between 1,400 and 1,600 veterans were forced to wait months for appointments. A 2014 internal VA audit found “57,436 newly enrolled veterans facing a minimum 90-day wait for medical care; 63,869 veterans who enrolled over the past decade requesting an appointment that never happened.” Even Mr. Obama admitted, in a November 2016 press conference, that “it was scandalous what happened”—though minutes earlier he boasted that “we will—knock on wood—leave this administration without significant scandal.”

All of these scandals were accompanied by a lack of transparency so severe that 47 of Mr. Obama’s 73 inspectors general signed an open letter in 2014 decrying the administration’s stonewalling of their investigations.

One reason for Mr. Obama’s penchant for secrecy is his habit of breaking rules—from not informing Congress of the dubious prisoner swap involving Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl and the Taliban, to violating restrictions on cash transfers to Iran as part of a hostage-release deal.

The president’s journalistic allies are happily echoing the “scandal-free” myth. Time’s Joe Klein claims Mr. Obama has had “absolutely no hint of scandal” in his presidency. The media’s failure to cover the Obama administration critically has been a scandal in itself—but at least the president can’t be blamed for that one.

This piece originally appeared in The Wall Street Journal https://www.heritage.org/political-process/commentary/obamas-scandal-free-administration-myth

And lets not forget Solyndra https://fortune.com/2015/08/27/remember-solyndra-mistake/

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT