ADVERTISEMENT

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GDI. Now my weekend is ruined. Thanks
Sorry. The good news is that we've been making very effective Corona-V vaccines in animals for decades. It shouldn't be too tough to whip up an inactivated one for humans using similar methods. I would suspect that the FDA will get off their ass and allow rapid approval of an experimental vaccine very quickly on this one. I've seen estimates of possibly several hundred MILLION deaths from this Corona-V from some epidemiologists. We're very fortunate to live in the country we live in with the health care system we have. The downside of living here is how efficient the transportation system is allowing rapid transmission of the virus to our shores.

Seriously, we are flying to Singapore next Wednesday for an 11 day cruise. Get to visit Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Am I worried? Not really. If it gets worse we may get stuck on the ship. I think we’ll be fine. We’ll watch it closely.

Seriously, we are flying to Singapore next Wednesday for an 11 day cruise. Get to visit Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Am I worried? Not really. If it gets worse we may get stuck on the ship. I think we’ll be fine. We’ll watch it closely.
You are a helluva lot braver than me. Do your realize how rotten the health care is on cruise ships and in the countries you will be visiting. You couldn't get me to visit that part of the world for all the tea in China. Nevermind getting on an airplane with people from all over the world some of whom no doubt have recently traveled in China. Yikes.

I feel like I’ve read this thread before???

SARS
swine flu
Ebola
H1N1
Zika
Measles outbreak

I’m lucky to be alive.
Some of the most contagious viruses known to man are Corona viruses. This is a bad one. The concern would be huge IMO if for instance a food service worker on a cruise ship was unknowingly shedding the virus. That person who got off the plane from China who was infected likely exposed the several hundred people on that plane to the virus who then in turn possibly could expose thousands more assuming that this can be spread via aerosol fomites. The opinions I've read from epidemiologists label this as many times worse than SARS. Zika is still a bad deal for pregnant women.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
That would be the last place I would be going to. Might not be able to fly there soon.
The latest U.S. case diagnosed in Chicago is in a woman who returned from China in late December. IF the incubation is that long, God help us. There could be hundreds if not thousands of people incubating and maybe spreading the virus already in the U.S. They're supposedly screening arrivals from some areas of China but there's no way in hell they can adequately ensure that people aren't incubating the disease.

The latest U.S. case diagnosed in Chicago is in a woman who returned from China in late December. IF the incubation is that long, God help us. There could be hundreds if not thousands of people incubating and maybe spreading the virus already in the U.S. They're supposedly screening arrivals from some areas of China but there's no way in hell they can adequately ensure that people aren't incubating the disease.
That would be real bad

They've even dropped the futures pricing on oil. They know this will have at least a short term curtailment as business as usual,as travel decreases.

far east is just a petri dish with densely, if not overpopulated areas.

and im curious what good a vaccine would in this country with all the idiot conspiracists who wiil refuse thinking its giving them autism or hiv, or whatever...?

The article I read says she returned from China January 13

Reactions: dinglefritz
Here are the stats on Flu....

20,000,000 infected, 250000 hospitalizations...20000 dead...

You are looking at a 10% mortality rate for people who are hospitalized for the flu. But only 1% of those infected are ever hospitalized. 800 have been hospitalized for the C-virus...but the mortality rate is only around 4%. Of those there have likely been many more that never needed care. We don't know the demographics of those who are killed and if they are people that already have compromised immune systems or damage respiratory systems...common in china. Remember that the Spanish flu had a low estimate of 13% mortality of every person infected. And some areas in Africa, India, China were sitting at mortality rates of 40% of infected. So not doomsday yet. But good practice for the real species killer.

Here are the stats on Flu....

20,000,000 infected, 250000 hospitalizations...20000 dead...

You are looking at a 10% mortality rate for people who are hospitalized for the flu. But only 1% of those infected are ever hospitalized. 800 have been hospitalized for the C-virus...but the mortality rate is only around 4%. Of those there have likely been many more that never needed care. We don't know the demographics of those who are killed and if they are people that already have compromised immune systems or damage respiratory systems...common in china. Remember that the Spanish flu had a low estimate of 13% mortality of every person infected. And some areas in Africa, India, China were sitting at mortality rates of 40% of infected. So not doomsday yet. But good practice for the real species killer.
One of eight people died of the spanish flu. The point here is, in those days, travel was slow and by few.
Another point is, of those 40% areas, we dont know the percentage of the lesser affected areas. So, with the numbers you gave, we don't know the mortality rate here, in a healthier population with better medicine.

675,000 americans died of the spanish flu, more than died in WW1, it primarily attacked the healthiest,the 20-30 year old demographic. So, once out of the bottle, it took one season,primarily fall and winter.

Currently, the last numbers Ive heard is, .3% of everyone who's contracted it are already dead, and China is doing its level best to stop it, even building an entire hospital just for this. The mortality rate is likely to go up per circumstance
The spread of this will depend on its virility , and peoples actions to curtail it. The spanish flu infected one out of three people world wide in that slow moving,low numbers ways of travel in that time.
500,000,000 people were estimated to have contracted the disease, with 20-50 million dying from it.

Lets hope its not that virulent, and it mutates to a lesser aggressive form,instead of the other way around like the spanish flu did, which first came in the spring, more typical of the flus we all know, that later mutated into the killer it was in the fall and winter.
Another point here, those numbers in the spring,where the less mutated form of the disease is included in all those numbers, which means, the fall version was much more deadly than the overall average,which includes those spring numbers, which again, wasn't as deadly, at first.

In the category of "things that make you go hmmmm" ... I was on a flight from Los Angeles to Chicago yesterday. Among the other passengers were four who were obviously Oriental. All four wore medical masks over their mouths

Some of the most contagious viruses known to man are Corona viruses. This is a bad one. The concern would be huge IMO if for instance a food service worker on a cruise ship was unknowingly shedding the virus. That person who got off the plane from China who was infected likely exposed the several hundred people on that plane to the virus who then in turn possibly could expose thousands more assuming that this can be spread via aerosol fomites. The opinions I've read from epidemiologists label this as many times worse than SARS. Zika is still a bad deal for pregnant women.

every year there’s a scare. How much do you want to bet this falls out of the news cycle and is never talked about again by Valentines Day?

Its symptoms are indistinguishable from the flu. The mortality rate is less than, THE FLU. 200k die every year in China from, wait for it, THE FLU.

So many people are now experts on this virus because of their TV scare propaganda.

We will all be okay. In a month there will be nobody talking about this. I’ll bump this thread then

Reactions: husker2612
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT