ADVERTISEMENT

Cornicator

Huskerpro

Senior
May 15, 2007
I am not on here as often as I used to be....hopefully, that changes here in the next few weeks.

Hypothetically we play 8 games. How are we going to be compared to last year? Most improved unit? Most improved player? Biggest concern? Who do we upset this year?

Thanks-always appreciated your insights....

I expect to see us being improved from last year. Our Oline should be a solid group this year (not a weakness) and we return D Mills which is capable of being a all BIG 10 lvl RB. That alone will help our offense run much smoother this year. That’s as far as I’m going with this for now. But we should have a improved team. How much improved??? We will see that part soon enough.

Who do we upset this year, that part could be different this year And I don’t mean because we will be that much better of a team (which we honestly could be). But teams are having their top players opting out to focus on the NFL and some of those “Top Teams” in the BIG 10 may not be as good as they initially thought. Like Minnesota, that’s one team that has taken a HUGE HIT. Lost both of their top WRs along with the talent they lost last year. I have no idea what to expect from them now but they will be nothing like they were last season. Not even close.

Last edited:
I think we'll be undefeated after Frost gives the, "okay, now that we're playing don't make me look like an asshole and let Desmond Howard laugh at us" motivational speech. Seriously though, I hope the team has a chip on it's shoulder based on the disrespect we were shown when this went down.

BTW, I'm most excited by the o-line. Made a lot of progress during the season last year and should be in good shape to be a good unit this year.

mostly depends on one position.

I definitely can’t argue there. Having a better running game will help Martinez out at QB and he won’t have the pressure he’s had the past 2 seasons. myself, I don’t see him struggling like he did last year, this season. And if he does, by chance struggle like that again....you better believe Luke McCaffrey will take over at QB and he won’t look back.

But having a solid run game does a lot. Having a solid Oline with a potential top tier RB will take the weight off of the shoulders of our QB and defense. Hopefully Mills doesn’t get hurt and guys like R Johnson, S Morrison, R Thompkins and/or M Scott are ready for some reps so Mills can take a breather.

Most improved unit? - WRs
Most improved player? - Cam Jurgens
Biggest concern? - pass rush
Who do we upset? - I think Nebraska beats Minnesota easily. The national media will call it an upset, but I think it will be more a reflection of Minnesota being overrated.

I think Nebraska will be improved offensively and nearly the same on defense. With better special teams that means this team will likely be a fine 4-4/ 5-3 team.

That would be 8-4 or 9-3 type team in most seasons, but this year is weird.

I am waiting for the official announcement to get jacked up about the season.

I agree with @salts that the running game will be key but maybe not for the same reason. The O line was disjointed in assignment and basic technique last year. Too much hesitation as to where to go, which step to make, sliding off, picking someone up on a pull, etc. Get the running game going with Mills and look for them to build depth quickly behind him. The last thing you want is to get the running game fired up only to have your #1 go down. I look for backups to get in early and often.

This will open up the passing game and give those young bucks time to get things figured and get Robinson in space more often.

Until the D shows different they will be suspect. There will be some new parts and it is hard to predict what they will look like.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerssalts
I definitely can’t argue there. Having a better running game will help Martinez out at QB and he won’t have the pressure he’s had the past 2 seasons. myself, I don’t see him struggling like he did last year, this season. And if he does, by chance struggle like that again....you better believe Luke McCaffrey will take over at QB and he won’t look back.

But having a solid run game does a lot. Having a solid Oline with a potential top tier RB will take the weight off of the shoulders of our QB and defense. Hopefully Mills doesn’t get hurt and guys like R Johnson, S Morrison, R Thompkins and/or M Scott are ready for some reps so Mills can take a breather.
Don't forget about receivers. There was only one reliable receiver last year that was healthy and he is gone. The influx of bigger receivers that can block is a must

Don't forget about receivers. There was only one reliable receiver last year that was healthy and he is gone. The influx of bigger receivers that can block is a must

I’d say two reliable ones, not one. Wan’Dale Robinson is most definitely up there (only reason I don’t say Kade Warner is because he was hurt).

Now we have added in O Manning, A Brown, Z Betts, M Fleming, C Hickman, D Houston and J Nance....not to mention O Martin and Levi Falck from SDU. I’m fairly confident we will find a few extra WRs to help Wandale Robinson and Kade Warner this season, even if it’s J Stoll or Travis V at TE.....GBR

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT