ADVERTISEMENT

Convince me next year will be better

huskerbaseball13

Nebraska Legend
Jul 30, 2003
AKA...a regional team. I know very little about the incoming recruits so maybe there is a Friday night type pitcher coming in...or some big bats coming in...or maybe some speed to fulfill Erstad's "chaos" on the basepaths motto. We lose Sinclair...who hasn't been great, Kubat, Roeder, and likely Howell. Pretty big chunk of our pitching success. I would like to see Hoensee transition back to being a starter for next year. The bats? Maybe they will get better by default. Not expecting anything great out of them though judging what's currently on the roster and what's been shown so far. Maybe the Big Ten will fall back and we will be able to compete in the conference because of that?

I expect more of the same until DE can start pulling in more national type recruits. As an example, there are studs here in SoCal that go the JUCO route because there is so much talent
out here. I would think DE and Silva would be more involved in recruiting SoCal.

Do we have a batting coach??
Kirby was hired last year. I have a tough time putting the blame on him when it boils down to this is who Erstad recruited and this is Erstad's offense. I'm not really sure what he's looking for at this point because this offense he put together really doesn't do anything well. That's why I'm thinking we need immediate help out of the incoming recruits. I'm not holding my breath though...nor do I trust that guys like Alvarado, Dilday, Schrieber to make a big jump forward under Erstad's watch.

rrt California guys don't really "fit" in Nebraska, and it's not about talent. We've very rarely found guys there who are able to come into Lincoln and understand the grind that training and prep in the offseason require while indoors. There is PLENTY of baseball talent in the midwest to pick from, and this staff has typically done a good job of getting it. But midwest kids need some development, because they don't play year-round. It's the development part that has been the struggle.

rrt California guys don't really "fit" in Nebraska, and it's not about talent. We've very rarely found guys there who are able to come into Lincoln and understand the grind that training and prep in the offseason require while indoors. There is PLENTY of baseball talent in the midwest to pick from, and this staff has typically done a good job of getting it. But midwest kids need some development, because they don't play year-round. It's the development part that has been the struggle.

Thanks for the explanation. Guys here keep telling me there is talent in the midwest and I know the inability to play year around hurts quite a bit.

AKA...a regional team. I know very little about the incoming recruits so maybe there is a Friday night type pitcher coming in...or some big bats coming in...or maybe some speed to fulfill Erstad's "chaos" on the basepaths motto. We lose Sinclair...who hasn't been great, Kubat, Roeder, and likely Howell. Pretty big chunk of our pitching success. I would like to see Hoensee transition back to being a starter for next year. The bats? Maybe they will get better by default. Not expecting anything great out of them though judging what's currently on the roster and what's been shown so far. Maybe the Big Ten will fall back and we will be able to compete in the conference because of that?

Well let's be fair about this, you're not the convincing type. You see results and don't ask questions. Wins are good, losses are bad. And that's fine. If I was more like that I wouldn't get all caught up in possibilities and what-if games. I should give it a try sometime.

Let me say this about incoming recruits - no draft worries. But that doesn't bother me b/c Monte Harrison and Jakson Reetz were not coming to campus and we got lucky with Boldt.

You should be convinced about the pitching b/c Silva has it going very well.
(In before you say he's leaving)
If he could take our 2014 pitching and turn it into a T 10 ERA staff with a T 20 WHIP, why won't he repeat next year? Returning talent > Sinclair, Kubat, Chestnut.

Next year we will pitch well and field well. Hitting? Something has got to change but, unlike you, I have no problem believing in Dilday, Alvarado and Schrieber. Those guys are good and would make an awful lot of rosters. Big majority of rosters in the T 50, iyam. You tell us what needs changing with the bats. It's a bit of a mystery to me but it's not our roster. We should be hitting better.

You want to make the regionals? Be a T 50 team. Very few of them don't get in and it always hinges on a very few games here and there. Swap three or so losses for wins and the out team is in. Boom!

We have been a T 50 team three years running now. Every team who has beaten us these past three years has earned credit for a T 50 win. We will be a top 50 team next year too. Bets?

Reactions: coolonetoo
There is talent in the midwest, but I don't think the staff truly wants to put the effort in to recruit it. There is very good baseball played in the surrounding areas. Speaking from my area just from Sioux City (150 miles from campus) right now there are 5 current Divsion 1 players, with one more on the way next semester, with the possibility of another who is currently talking to multiple D1 schools.

David Kerian - Illinois .375 12 HRs, 6 2Bs, 42 RBI
Paul Jacobsen - South Dakota State - .267 1 HR 11 2Bs 26 RBI
Jacob Westphal - Tennessee 1-1 3.79 ERA 19 IP 13 Ks 11 BB
Dom Thompson-Williams (South Carolina Signee, current JUCO national player of the week) - Iowa Western .420 4 HRs, 9 2Bs 3 3Bs 44 RBI
Tyler Franko (uncommitted) - Iowa Central .234 8 HRs 8 2Bs, 32 RBI
Austin Stubbs - Southwest Minnesota State (D2) - .367 15 HRs 18 2Bs 2 3Bs 48 RBI
Trey Lapke - South Dakota State
Phil Jacobsen - South Dakota State

I have never seen a Nebraska staff member at any games and just by looking at the list up above it looks like some of these guys could have made an impact offensively.

An outsider looking in, but where do you all see Austin Christensen in the next year. Followed that kid all through high school. Great kid and I hope that he has a great senior season..

Well let's be fair about this, you're not the convincing type. You see results and don't ask questions. Wins are good, losses are bad. And that's fine. If I was more like that I wouldn't get all caught up in possibilities and what-if games. I should give it a try sometime.

Let me say this about incoming recruits - no draft worries. But that doesn't bother me b/c Monte Harrison and Jakson Reetz were not coming to campus and we got lucky with Boldt.

You should be convinced about the pitching b/c Silva has it going very well.
(In before you say he's leaving)
If he could take our 2014 pitching and turn it into a T 10 ERA staff with a T 20 WHIP, why won't he repeat next year? Returning talent > Sinclair, Kubat, Chestnut.

Next year we will pitch well and field well. Hitting? Something has got to change but, unlike you, I have no problem believing in Dilday, Alvarado and Schrieber. Those guys are good and would make an awful lot of rosters. Big majority of rosters in the T 50, iyam. You tell us what needs changing with the bats. It's a bit of a mystery to me but it's not our roster. We should be hitting better.

You want to make the regionals? Be a T 50 team. Very few of them don't get in and it always hinges on a very few games here and there. Swap three or so losses for wins and the out team is in. Boom!

We have been a T 50 team three years running now. Every team who has beaten us these past three years has earned credit for a T 50 win. We will be a top 50 team next year too. Bets?
I will be pleasantly surprised if our pitching numbers prove to be better next year. I haven't said Silva will leave...I have no inside info on that. I have said I would not be surprised if he does leave for a different job. Back to the West Coast. I have nothing against guys like Alvarado, Dilday, or Schreibe. They just didn't do anything this year for me to expect big things out of them next year. Nor has Erstad proven he can develop said talent. Will Reveles get another year? That would help. Outside of Boldt and Sclep(who Erstad doesn't trust against lefties) the entire lineup next year will be full of unknowns.

I can not do that to you! It will not be better and we suck.

An outsider looking in, but where do you all see Austin Christensen in the next year. Followed that kid all through high school. Great kid and I hope that he has a great senior season..
Platoon player and possible midweek bullpen guy

Platoon player and possible midweek bullpen guy

I think we need to stop pretending he's good enough to be a jack of all trades. Get the kid some serious effort at development at one position, and go for it. I get the sense that he bounces around at practices and is a very average player at all he does. I think if you let him find a position and focus on his batting, he could help next year.

ADVERTISEMENT