ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations Minnesota Gophers

I think Minn Gophers beating Auburn today takes the trump. Auburn also beat Oregon down and Minnesota is like what...under OSU, Michigan, PSU, Wisconsin and Iowa??? That’s very telling.
It’s all about match ups...always will be.

agreed, Tanner Lee should have stayed...he’d killed it in that option read play...or QB designed run or any option play... ;)

Hmm, didn't Riley alter the O for Armstrong? So we're they always running pure Pro Set?Riley won, what, 9 games one year with a non-pro set QB. I guess tackling is totally different in a pro-set, oh wait, maybe catching a ball is different, that must be it. Not a Riley apologist by an means but my goodness the excuses and revisionist history is amazing.

Reactions: Bruce1981
Hmm, didn't Riley alter the O for Armstrong? So we're they always running pure Pro Set?Riley won, what, 9 games one year with a non-pro set QB. I guess tackling is totally different in a pro-set, oh wait, maybe catching a ball is different, that must be it. Not a Riley apologist by an means but my goodness the excuses and revisionist history is amazing.

not excuses. It’s believing in someone or you don’t. Simple as that. Riley took over a team that goes 10-4, 9-4, 9-4...I’d hope Riley could pull off a decent season that year...had an easy schedule regardless of QB. Frost took over a mess.

Reactions: bshirt73
I think Minn Gophers beating Auburn today takes the trump. Auburn also beat Oregon down and Minnesota is like what...under OSU, Michigan, PSU, Wisconsin and Iowa??? That’s very telling.

You can’t go back to week one with that Auburn Oregon game, either team could have won that game... Ducks F’up when thy lost to the scum devils...Other wise they would have played LSU in the Peach..

Reactions: jeans15
You can’t go back to week one with that Auburn Oregon game, either team could have won that game... Ducks F’up when thy lost to the scum devils...Other wise they would have played LSU in the Peach..

so your on Dudes side that the PAC 12 is better then the BIG 10? And you can. Auburn also beat Bama in the final game of the season. It shows how good our top tier teams are.

Completely different circumstances. Riley had to win immediately or lose his job. Frost doesn't and, even though he no doubt wants to win, he wants to establish an unflinching identity for his program more so he's going to take the time to change the roster instead of changing his system.

go back relook at his posts. That why him and I are acting like little children about. The thinks the pac 12 is better then the BIG 10 and that’s just stupid.

You TWO haven’t gotten along all day... both of you need a time out and sit in the corner the rest of the night..RollingLaugh

Reactions: dinglefritz
You TWO haven’t gotten along all day... both of you need a time out and sit in the corner the rest of the night..RollingLaugh

I backed off and left him alone for awhile there. He kept trolling me and I eventually took the bait again. I’ll try and back off again. See if dude mans up and backs off too. But i agree, some of the crap is stupid (from my end and his).

I backed off and left him alone for awhile there. He kept trolling me and I eventually took the bait again. I’ll try and back off again. See if dude mans up and backs off too. But i agree, some of the crap is stupid (from my end and his).

He is jerking your chain.. the PAC 12 is only going to have two teams rated at the end of the season and the Big 10 will have 6...

Completely different circumstances. Riley had to win immediately or lose his job. Frost doesn't and, even though he no doubt wants to win, he wants to establish an unflinching identity for his program more so he's going to take the time to change the roster instead of changing his system.

you can tell Scott Frost is trying to do this the right way. He’s rebuilding us from the ground up and Moos is even doing his part upgrading our facilities. I think that’s why it gets under my skin so badly when I see my fellow Husker fans giving up already and throwing in the towel. Makes me want to scream “How can you NOT see what Frost is doing?” It’s right there in front of all of us.

go back relook at his posts. That why him and I are acting like little children in this thread. He thinks the pac 12 is better then the BIG 10 and that’s just stupid.

where did I say the PAC is better than the BIG??

you can tell Scott Frost is trying to do this the right way. He’s rebuilding us from the ground up and Moos is even doing his part upgrading our facilities. I think that’s why it gets under my skin so badly when I see my fellow Husker fans giving up already and throwing in the towel. Makes me want to scream “How can you NOT see what Frost is doing?” It’s right there in front of all of us.

You need to give it a rest and quit PREACHING to the choir..Winking

Reactions: huskerssalts
give me some credit now bro...that was as obvious as a sun to moon. Lol. I’m moving on...GBR

I merely posted bowl records and head to head match ups. You got yourself all spun up because of what you thought I believed.

If what I posted was incorrect I am happy to edit

lots of schools don’t have free boards ... 5 page back and forths are good for business.

Last edited:
How is this thread on 5 pages? I only scrolled through it quickly, but I saw no responses from a Gopher fan. I can only guess that it devolved into some sort of pissing match argument. Otherwise, damn. I knew there was some Iowa fan obsession with NU, but I had no idea there was any by NU towards Minnesota.

They had a ridiculously easy schedule but you still gotta give them props for beating Penn Stte and Auburn
I find myself agreeing with you often, but I'm not sure I do in this instance....

As far as the conference goes, I do think Minnesota's crossover slate was easier. Both had Maryland. Minnesota had Penn State instead of Ohio State, and Rutgers instead of Indiana.

In terms of non-conference, I think South Dakota State beats Northern Illinois and South Alabama (SDSU-strong FCS team that nearly beat 2 Nebraska teams that were better than this past one). Same for 7-6 Georgia Southern. I do think Colorado is better than Fresno State (CU did beat 2 teams that went to and won their bowls, and close losses to 2 other bowl teams). In short, I think, at best, non-conference schedules were a wash.

So, maybe Minnesota's overall schedule was a little easier, but not to the point that they are 5-7 playing Nebraska's schedule.

Auburn didn't beat down Oregon. Auburn won 27-21. Oregon led the entire game until the last 9 seconds.

Huge congrats to the Gophers - they played extremely well today!

As goofy as Fleck may be, that guy is a really good football coach and gets everything out of his players. The Gophers aren’t going anywhere anytime soon - they are for real and will only continue to improve.

As a Husker fan, I have to admit I’m jealous of what MN has been able to accomplish in such a short time under Fleck.
He has set a huge bar for Frost and year 3. If Frost fails again year 3, we will be hearing non stop, "look what Fleck did year 3 with the gophers" I can't really argue against it. Fleck didn't have a team full of 4 and 5 star players, he didn't need years to develop his culture. He had a very young offense.
Now in Frost defense, what Fleck walked into from a player development/ emotional stand point in no way resembles what Frost walked into. As Adam Carriker says, what going on in between the ears is more important than anything else. If its not right, fixing it, is hard.

If anyone thinks Frost will win close to 11 games in Year 3, against that schedule, they are crazy. It will be a struggle to win 6 games. I hate to say it, but it might not be until Year 5 that he even makes a bowl game.
Based on how we played this year, yes we will be lucky to get to 5 wins with that schedule. I am going to assume we improve over last year. How much will be the key it what our record looks like. I think to ease the heat, Frost will have to get to 8 wins. 7 wins at a bare min.

Lifelong Gopher fan here. I'm too cheap to pay for a forum so I like to peruse the free boards and this thread caught my eye. A few opinions from someone who has obsessively followed college football in general and Gopher football in particular for decades (the latter not an easy thing to do, if you think about it!)

Fleck did not in any way inherit a "solid" program. Kill & Claeys were solid coaches but the talent level of the Gopher roster was atrocious. The scandal that Claeys completely mismanaged (insubordinate and rightly fired IMHO) basically eliminated the entire D backfield in one shot. For Fleck's first spring practice, there were only 4 OL on the entire roster who could participate. So, no actual 11 on 11 work that spring. Plus, they were shockingly inept at recruiting and developing QBs. The first thing Fleck did was to literally BEG a graduated walk-on practice QB (a Div III kid) to be our starting QB for 2017. Still can't believe they won 5 that first year.

As much turnover as Nebby has had on the roster it is silly to say that MN has more talent -- and likely never will. The cold hard reality is that Fleck would trade his roster for Nebby's sight unseen. Other than our QB, 2 WRs and an All American DB, you guys have far, far more size, speed and athleticism to work with at every other position. To argue otherwise is ridiculous.

I was convinced Fleck was a failure after the Illinois game last year but an amazing thing happened. He fired his buddy the DC and they are 14-3 since that game with only one bad loss in the 3 (Wisky this year). They aren't great on D but good enough to stay in nearly any game.

I personally think both MN and Nebby will finish about 7-5 next year. We lose too much on D not to take a step back and the schedule is tougher. Nebby's schedule is brutal but you're gradually improving. MHO though...

I have never seen a coach throw his own players under the bus like Frost. The hoodie thing was ridiculous but his statement at the end of the season that he "interited a team lacking in confidence" blew my mind. Isn't it the job of the head coach to give his team confidence? He's being paid $5 million per year to inspire and lead 100+ kids to achieve something they couldn't do on his own. 2 years and $10 million later he's still blaming his predecessor for his team lacking confidence??? Wow, that takes some balls and I personally would not like it if I was a player.

Also, Frost needs to can that D coordinator. Look at the scores people put on you under Frost. 33, 24, 56, 42, 41, 34, 28, 9, 36, 35, 6, 31, 21, 34, 8, 38, 48, 10, 34, 38, 31, 37, 7, 27. Doesn't matter what you do on offense, you're not going to compete for the division when you give up 30+ points 15 out of 24 games. (And banish the word "blackshirt" from your vocabulary while you're at it. The rest of the nation just laughs when they hear that. Seriously.)

Lastly, for the people who hate Fleck, I get it (he is annoying) but he is definitely NOT a phony. He really is a combination of the Energizer Bunny, Lou Holtz and Norman Vincent Peale. All positivity all the time. He is also quietly doing amazing things in the background, from the mandatory "chivalry" classes he has for the team (teaching the guys how to treat women with respect, open doors for them, etc.) to the fact that the entire team regularly writes individual thank-you notes to the custodians who clean the locker rooms, the day laborers who shovel snow out of the stadium, the Outback committee that invited them to the bowl, etc. Also, watch what a Gopher player does with the ball at the end of a play; they always hand it to the referee, never toss it on the ground.

Long story short (too late), I personally have no doubt that Nebby will get better under Frost simply because of the talent you are able to bring in. Your classes are solidly 4th in the BIG every year, so you should be able to be a mid-pack team. However, I also see a living example of the Peter Principle. Frost strikes me as a guy who's a bit over his head and he needs to make some tough decisions with coaches and schemes if he wants to compete with the top teams in the conference. Right now, no one in the conference is getting less out of more talent.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
Other than our QB, 2 WRs and an All American DB, you guys have far, far more size, speed and athleticism to work with at every other position. To argue otherwise is ridiculous.
You seriously think Nebraska's offensive line is bigger, more athletic and more talented than Minnesota's? I think the Gophers have an enormous advantage on the O-line - more so than any other area.

You seriously think Nebraska's offensive line is bigger, more athletic and more talented than Minnesota's? I think the Gophers have an enormous advantage on the O-line - more so than any other area.

The Gopher line may be bigger but that doesn't mean they're good. Only 2 of them would rank with the guys you recruit every year. Plus, they're young. Not one senior at OL on the roster, started 2 jrs, 2 sophs and a frosh yesterday. Better coached, yes. More talented, no.

trust me will. When both teams have finished products on the field...we will see who’s laughing then. Flecks done great but also took over a solid team and built on that. Frost took over a train wreck and team that gave up on Mike Riley...We will see who’s better when Frost has the Huskers rolling;)

Damn well stated huskersalts. In another year or two we'll see NU kick ass & take names.

The beauty of it is that Frost is on his own timeline. He's trying to build a dynasty-level program and the administration will give him that time.

It's a completely unique situation in that there's not a coach in the country who hasn't won anything with his current school with a longer leash than Frost, it's incomparable to other programs and I think a lot of people are searching for comparisons that can't be made because of that dynamic.

I agree. Frost can keep his job with one and two game improvements over the first five seasons, as painful as that is for our fans. That would not happen to any other blue blood or former blue blood program. That doesn't mean that right now he is a great coach, a top ten coach, frankly, he is not. He will be given time to learn and develop into what I hope is a great coach.

The Gopher line may be bigger but that doesn't mean they're good. Only 2 of them would rank with the guys you recruit every year. Plus, they're young. Not one senior at OL on the roster, started 2 jrs, 2 sophs and a frosh yesterday. Better coached, yes. More talented, no.
I never said the Gophers' linemen weren't better coached, but if you see more "size, speed and athleticism" in Nebraska's offensive linemen than Minnesota's, we're watching different sports.

Again I'm not trying to argue over which team is better-coached. But I don't think Minnesota's curb-stomping of Nebraska in the trenches was entirely about coaching.

I never said the Gophers' linemen weren't better coached, but if you see more "size, speed and athleticism" in Nebraska's offensive linemen than Minnesota's, we're watching different sports.

Again I'm not trying to argue over which team is better-coached. But I don't think Minnesota's curb-stomping of Nebraska in the trenches was entirely about coaching.

Fair enough. The Gopher OL is getting better and did hold their own most games this year. (Wisky totally stuffed them, though.) However, I would argue the MN/NU game this year was more about your defense. Not to pile on, but something isn't right there. Get rid of that junior college DC of yours and you guys will soar. Until then, it will be a struggle.

Fair enough. The Gopher OL is getting better and did hold their own most games this year. (Wisky totally stuffed them, though.) However, I would argue the MN/NU game this year was more about your defense. Not to pile on, but something isn't right there. Get rid of that junior college DC of yours and you guys will soar. Until then, it will be a struggle.
NU defense certainly wasn't stellar in that game, but the offense couldn't get out of its own way until early in the 4th quarter:
Possession Chart

The game really wasn't in doubt at halftime, with Minnesota up 14-0. But it felt like 40-0 given Nebraska's offensive output.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/minnesota/index.html

When you take a look at Minnesota, you will see Jerry Kill started Minnesota’s rebuild and PJ Fleck appears (for the moment) to have finished it off. It took Minnesota 6-8 years to get to this point. Kill and Fleck built something good in Minnesota and both coaches deserve the credit.
Well, they built it with coaching and development, because it wasn’t top recruits...

Minnesota Rivals 4 star Recruits

2019 - 2
2018 - 3
2017 - 0
2016 - 1
2015 - 1
2014 - 1

I find myself agreeing with you often, but I'm not sure I do in this instance....

As far as the conference goes, I do think Minnesota's crossover slate was easier. Both had Maryland. Minnesota had Penn State instead of Ohio State, and Rutgers instead of Indiana.

In terms of non-conference, I think South Dakota State beats Northern Illinois and South Alabama (SDSU-strong FCS team that nearly beat 2 Nebraska teams that were better than this past one). Same for 7-6 Georgia Southern. I do think Colorado is better than Fresno State (CU did beat 2 teams that went to and won their bowls, and close losses to 2 other bowl teams). In short, I think, at best, non-conference schedules were a wash.

So, maybe Minnesota's overall schedule was a little easier, but not to the point that they are 5-7 playing Nebraska's schedule.
My argument wasn’t who had an easier schedule though. Ours was thought to be fairly easy too.

Minnesota had an easy schedule, their tougher games were mainly at home, and a lot of their opponents were missing their starting QB. It was almost freaky how all that lined up for them this year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Good for the Gophers, but I stand by my disdain for PJ. Rubs me the wrong way.

I thought he was goofy the first season. Not anymore.

Perhaps, you may enjoy watching this video of his opening presentation at the 2020 AFCA Kick Off: I've seen the transformation of the players in the last three years. You can see it in their body language and smiles. He genuinely takes care of his players and help them become men. They come from different backgrounds, and he does weekly individual one on ones with his players. They even have occasional date nights were players are taught proper etiquette of treating women with respect.

They bring in experts to talk about sexual harassment from people who have become experts based on their own experience. He teaches kids about right and wrong way t do things. They are fully engage in the community, in the classroom, spiritually, and in the playing field.

Many Gopher fans who were very skeptical are shocked at the speed of transformation. Most are buying in into what he is doing here. He is a one in a million. The Gophers are lucky to have him. Let's hope they can keep him.

He sets high goals and standards. The real story is can he sustain this level of success staying put in one place? He is more of a program builder bar none.

PJ Fleck's AFCA keynote speech starts at 11:50

Scott Frost' time will come sooner than later. Nebraska has built a remarkable recruiting class the last four years tops in the Big Ten West. Be patient.He has an incredible among of talent to work with. Every program has different situations when you have a coaching change. Scott Frost is bringing his recruits in to fit his coaching schemes. Injuries sort of derail Nebraska's chances of making it to a bowl game this year.

So, once Nebraska starts clicking, the rest of the Big Ten better watch out. The Big Ten West have some great coaching hires. They are going to be more competitive nationally. IMHO, it is in the best interest of the Big Ten for Nebraska to succeed.

247Sports ranked Nebraska 24th nationally for 2019 with 20 4-Stars, and 63 3-Stars.
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Last edited:
I thought he was goofy the first season. Not anymore.

Perhaps, you may enjoy watching this video of his opening presentation at the 2020 AFCA Kick Off: I've seen the transformation of the players in the last three years. You can see it in their body language and smiles. He genuinely takes care of his players and help them become men. They come from different backgrounds, and he does weekly individual one on ones with his players. They even have occasional date nights were players are taught proper etiquette of treating women with respect.

They bring in experts to talk about sexual harassment from people who have become experts based on their own experience. He teaches kids about right and wrong way t do things. They are fully engage in the community, in the classroom, spiritually, and in the playing field.

Many Gopher fans who were very skeptical are shocked at the speed of transformation. Most are buying in into what he is doing here. He is a one in a million. The Gophers are lucky to have him. Let's hope they can keep him.

He sets high goals and standards. The real story is can he sustain this level of success staying put in one place? He is more of a program builder bar none.

PJ Fleck's AFCA keynote speech starts at 11:50

Scott Frost' time will come sooner than later. Nebraska has built a remarkable recruiting class the last four years tops in the Big Ten West. Be patient.He has an incredible among of talent to work with. Every program has different situations when you have a coaching change. Scott Frost is bringing his recruits in to fit his coaching schemes. Injuries sort of derail Nebraska's chances of making it to a bowl game this year.

So, once Nebraska starts clicking, the rest of the Big Ten better watch out. The Big Ten West have some great coaching hires. They are going to be more competitive nationally. IMHO, it is in the best interest of the Big Ten for Nebraska to succeed.

247Sports ranked Nebraska 24th nationally for 2019 with 20 4-Stars, and 63 3-Stars.
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

IMHO as an outsider, Nebraska will benefit greatly by shaking up the coaching staff especially on Defense.

Nebraska has oodles of talent. They just need solid coaching at certain skill positions.

ADVERTISEMENT