ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations Minnesota Gophers

yes - given how low the bar was set it shouldn't be very difficult to show some improvement

MIke Riley's last year --- 3 conf wins -- 5th place in division
Frost 1st year ----------- 3 conf wins -- 5th place
Frost's 2nd year ---------3 conf wins ---6th place

we have yet to surpass the worst season of one of the worst coaches in Husker history going into year 3 - let alone come close to matching his best year

sorry I’m not going to look at it the same way you are. Mike Riley took over a team that went 9-4, 9-4 and 10-4 from Bo Pelini and Scott Frost took over an absolute disaster of a team from Mike Riley. Naturally it will take longer for Frost to correct Riley’s mistakes and rebuild that roster after all the players that transferred out and left...two Riley had easier schedules he faced compared to Frost. All that needs factored in. You expecting Frost to match Riley’s records when Frost took over a mess and facing harder competition is the wrong way to look at it.

Last edited:
making excuses for Frost? Was you completely blind that last season Mike Riley was here and how bad our team was and how they completely gaven up? And Jerry Kill took over an absolute train wreck himself at Minnesota and built Minnesota into a solid team and was competing and Fleck built on that. Their records prove and show that.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/minnesota/index.html

No, that isn't the case. Fleck had less talent to work with when he arrived than Frost did when he arrived. That's all that matters. If you can't change culture in 2 years, that's on YOU and your coaching staff. It wasn't like Minnesota had an established winning culture either.

Fleck was in year 3 vs year 2 for Frost, so you have to give Frost a little latitude. And Fleck had an easier schedule, but our schedule was set up as good as it could be, and we still blew it. And keep in mind that we were a big part of what made Fleck's schedule easier.

It shouldn't take 24 games for a defensive coordinator to show substantial improvement on that side of the ball. And we STILL weren't filling running lanes at LB against Iowa. Stop supporting poor coaching by blaming it on the last regime!

And BTW, c'mon man, take it easy on our beloved native tongue..

"Was you"
"Gaven up"

Reactions: cecilB
yes - given how low the bar was set it shouldn't be very difficult to show some improvement

MIke Riley's last year --- 3 conf wins -- 5th place in division
Frost 1st year ----------- 3 conf wins -- 5th place
Frost's 2nd year ---------3 conf wins ---6th place

we have yet to surpass the worst season of one of the worst coaches in Husker history going into year 3 - let alone come close to matching his best year

You’re one of those Riley apostles...

I see that now!

I’ll Guarantee you that frost will have a better team at the end of the next year then Riley had before he was fired.

No, that isn't the case. Fleck had less talent to work with when he arrived than Frost did when he arrived. That's all that matters. If you can't change culture in 2 years, that's on YOU and your coaching staff. It wasn't like Minnesota had an established winning culture either.

Fleck was in year 3 vs year 2 for Frost, so you have to give Frost a little latitude. And Fleck had an easier schedule, but our schedule was set up as good as it could be, and we still blew it. And keep in mind that we were a big part of what made Fleck's schedule easier.

It shouldn't take 24 games for a defensive coordinator to show substantial improvement on that side of the ball. And we STILL weren't filling running lanes at LB against Iowa. Stop supporting poor coaching by blaming it on the last regime!

And BTW, c'mon man, take it easy on our beloved native tongue..

"Was you"
"Gaven up"

no he didn’t. We lost most of our top tier recruits. Why do some of you guys refuse to look at all the transfers we had, all the players to walked away or quite. Go back, look at our commitments and then take out all the players that left and isn’t here anymore and there you go. Minnesota is comparable talent wise. Now the past 2 years Frost has loaded up the talent but those guys are still true freshmen that’s not even on the team yet or RS freshmen or true sophomores.

Let’s not forget Frost vs Fleck so far is 1 and 1 against each other. Both coaches have blown out the other. I’m more then fired up to see how next season goes...bring on the Gophers...GBR

But Fleck was wise enough to realize that his DC wasn't getting it done. He fired him in the middle of their 2nd season, and they haven't looked back. Will Frost do the same next season if Chinander isn't getting it done?

Reactions: scarletred
But Fleck was wise enough to realize that his DC wasn't getting it done. He fired him in the middle of their 2nd season, and they haven't looked back. Will Frost do the same next season if Chinander isn't getting it done?

no clue, we will all see how Frost does in his 3rd year next season. I seen a defense that’s improved and even improved over the season. Not sure Chin needs to be fired.

sorry I’m not going to look at it the same way you are. Mike Riley took over a team that went 9-4, 9-4 and 10-4 from Bo Pelini and Scott Frost took over an absolute disaster of a team from Mike Riley. Naturally it will take longer for Frost to correct Riley’s mistakes and rebuild that roster after all the players that transferred out and left...two Riley had easier schedules he faced compared to Frost. All that needs factored in. You expecting Frost to match Riley’s records when Frost took over a mess and facing harder competition is the wrong way to look at it.

That is all a revisionist narrative ... no one was claiming that it would likely be into year 4 before Scott Frost might reach .500 as a coach at Nebraska. Anyone making that claim after the hire or even after year 1 would have been laughed off the board - yet now this is the narrative that needs to be pushed so everyone can feel comfy.

That is all a revisionist narrative ... no one was claiming that it would likely be into year 4 before Scott Frost might reach .500 as a coach at Nebraska. Anyone making that claim after the hire or even after year 1 would have been laughed off the board - yet now this is the narrative that needs to be pushed so everyone can feel comfy.

I think we all hoped things would have gone differently. We didn’t foresee all these transfers, players being busts and so on...no one seen that coming. Unfortunately it happened and what we hoped for didn’t happened and is gone. We are left with the realization that Frost has to rebuild us from the ground up. There wasn’t a fast turn around to be had like we hoped for.

Reactions: bshirt73
no he didn’t. We lost most of our top tier recruits. Why do some of you guys refuse to look at all the transfers we had, all the players to walked away or quite. Go back, look at our commitments and then take out all the players that left and isn’t here anymore and there you go. Minnesota is comparable talent wise. Now the past 2 years Frost has loaded up the talent but those guys are still true freshmen that’s not even on the team yet or RS freshmen or true sophomores.

No, we still had more talent on the roster than Minnesota. It isn't even debatable. We still had predominantly 3-star talent, with some 4-stars. Minnesota had a mix of 2 and 3-star talent.

You’re one of those Riley apostles...

I see that now!

I’ll Guarantee you that frost will have a better team at the end of the next year then Riley had before he was fired.

not at all ... 3 conf wins and finishing 5th in the division is a horrible job of coaching and he was rightfully fired. We have had equally horrible results for 2 consecutive years . I should hope that by year 3 we could reasonably guarantee a better result than one of the worst Husker seasons in nearly 50 years.

not at all ... 3 conf wins and finishing 5th in the division is a horrible job of coaching and he was rightfully fired. We have had equally horrible results for 2 consecutive years . I should hope that by year 3 we could reasonably guarantee a better result than one of the worst Husker seasons in nearly 50 years.

Again you’re refusing to take into count the mess Frost inherited and roster mismanagement’s Riley left Frost. This is literally a stupid circle that keeps going round and round.

actually i Tap out. You won’t change your views and I won’t change mine. I will save us both some time and move on. We both hope the Huskers will get things rolling and SOON. We are on the same side...GBR

Reactions: scarletred

Moos said he expected Frost to turn around the program by Year 3, and even possibly by Year 2. Frost himself said he expected to compete for the division in Year 2, and the Big Ten championship by Year 3.

Nobody expects to have 3 consecutive seasons at a "blue blood" program, no matter how bad the last coach left it. Look at what the coaches at Baylor, Penn State, and UAB inherited - all 3 won 11 games in Year 3.

Again you’re refusing to take into count the mess Frost inherited and roster mismanagement’s Riley left Frost. This is literally a stupid circle that keeps going round and round.

actually i Tap our. You won’t change your views and I won’t change mine. I will save us both some time and move on. We both hope the Huskers will get things rolling and SOON. We are on the same side...GBR

Bingo...
The guy is blinded by Eichorst hire..

no one was pushing this narrative at the time of the hire - nor after we finished the last 6 games of 2018 going 4-2 including a close game at OSU. No one.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
No! We had better talent on the roster when Frost arrived vs the talent on Minnesota's roster when Fleck arrived. This IS NOT debatable.
And how many of those guys left? We literally had 4 4 star players left on our team out of 20 plus. That’s not even counting the high 3 star players that left or didn’t make it. There is a reason why we had so many walk ons playing this year.

Moos said he expected Frost to turn around the program by Year 3, and even possibly by Year 2. Frost himself said he expected to compete for the division in Year 2, and the Big Ten championship by Year 3.

Nobody expects to have 3 consecutive seasons at a "blue blood" program, no matter how bad the last coach left it. Look at what the coaches at Baylor, Penn State, and UAB inherited - all 3 won 11 games in Year 3.

I’ll give you Penn St but not Baylor and UAB.:rolleyes:

Minnesota pounding us on the LOS was not luck. We need to continue to improve our OLine over the winter, and our front 7 on defense, or it is going to happen again in our own place next year.

Yeah, but NU sucked...so they beat a sucky team.

Revisionist? The AD said he hoped for six wins prior to last season...the team came up one short. The people closest to the situation keep telling everyone how far the program has to go, why do people on the outside looking in refuse to believe them?

Nebraska was so bad last season but yet they managed to beat Minnesota and the culture they’ve built. Let’s worry about next season as this ones over.

Revisionist? The AD said he hoped for six wins prior to last season...the team came up one short. The people closest to the situation keep telling everyone how far the program has to go, why do people on the outside looking in refuse to believe them?

Ask jib321.Winking

And how many of those guys left? We literally had 4 4 star players left on our team out of 20 plus. That’s not even counting the high 3 star players that left or didn’t make it. There is a reason why we had so many walk ons playing this year.

Hey, when you take over as head coach, it's your team. If you lose players and don't replace them, that's your problem as head coach.

Frost still had more talent at his disposal when he arrived than what Fleck had at Minnesota when he arrived. Again, I'll give Frost a bit of a pass because he was in year 2 vs year 3 for Fleck, but going forward, NO more excuses. If they don't get it done going forward, it is on the shoulders of THIS coaching staff.

wrong -- the person who is the closest to the situation said we would compete for the division in year 2 and heading into year 2 we were better at every position

wrong -- the person who is the closest to the situation said we would compete for the division in year 2 and heading into year 2 we were better at every position

As if he can predict injuries tooo_O
We are better at every position.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73

Moos had to move the goalposts after a trainwreck season in 2018. Shortly before Fall 2018, Moos was saying that Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh were running scared.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Bingo...
The guy is blinded by Eichorst hire..

[B said:
"scarletred,[/B] post: 5334237, member: 304"]I think the season comes down to two 3 consecutive games.

1)tOSU, NW and Minnesota
2)Wisconsin, Maryland and Ioway..

Win 2 of 3 from both and Nebraska finishes 10-2.
Win 2 of 3 from just one of these two 9-3
Win only one game each between the two consecutive games Nebraska finishes 8-4..

yes ... you clearly were preaching caution about expecting to go to a bowl game in year 2

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
Then he decided to redshirt nearly his entire recruiting class. It was a pretty obvious change in approach. Frost is playing the long game. Short-term success and long-term success aren't mutually exclusive, but the time line you've established for what you perceive to be improvement is irrelevant.

We all want the same thing, our Huskers back to winning and after seeing Frost bringing in Top 15 and now Top 18 recruiting classes...we shall see that soon enough. GBR

edited: I took out the 2018 class because it fell apart like the 2016 and 2017 classes...

Last edited:
Then he decided to redshirt nearly his entire recruiting class. It was a pretty obvious change in approach. Frost is playing the long game. Short-term success and long-term success aren't mutually exclusive, but the time line you've established for what you perceive to be improvement is irrelevant.

exactly, doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see it.

Moos had to move the goalposts after a trainwreck season in 2018. Shortly before Fall 2018, Moos was saying that Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh were running scared.
Well...in his defense Meyer quit and Jim is pretty much on his way out.

Yeah, but NU sucked...so they beat a sucky team.

Sure, but we beat them soundly in Frost's first season. Fleck said "My DC sucks" and made the move to replace him in the middle of his 2nd season there. If we still languish on defense next season, Frost had better be ready to make the same difficult decision. Good friends or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT