ADVERTISEMENT

Confused by Our Coaching?

gd81

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2015
Offense: I feel Danny L. is in over his head. Especially as a game day coach from the box. We continue to throw deep 50/50 balls to our short receivers. Last year (me included) blamed Tommy for those choices. Now it looks like it's our OC. He and MR are definitely not on the same page. MR says one thing during the week then come Sat. and we do nothing that he said happens. IE. more throws to Spielman. More throws to TE, RB. Screens which is their scheme. I could go on and on.
Defense: To early to judge our new D Staff but certainly looks to be a long year. The 3-4 we were told would position us to be a better blitzing team. " QB's won't know where the blitz is coming from?" We we've had 1 sack and for my eyes rarely blitz. Opposing QB's look like All Americans. Sound or look the same? Our D Line looks to be the best position group we have. We may even have some young studs make All Conference down the road.
Overall: I think we are recruiting better talent but we are so far behind Top 10 Teams by the time it gets turned around (IF we do) Mike R. will be ready for retirement. Then what? Does Eichorst have a plan B. Is he looking around?
Last: I wish MR would lead the team on the field and if we have a player go down get by his side on the field with the trainers.
GBR. So Sick of Loosing but will always support Big Red in all sports.

Reactions: Wasker77
What? You lost me when you said Langsdorf is in over his head. He put together a pretty good game plan again. In the end, we didn't make the throws, but we had a chance to put up some big time points in this games, just didn't execute. Was far from the schemes fault. Also, Eichorst with a plan B? Why is this even mentioned? I realize not everyone that is a fan has full football knowledge, but this post was pretty rough. Why don't you let the season start to play out, and then maybe post a few of your thoughts later on. I'm pretty sure the coaches know what they are doing. I am in agreement we need to pick it up and play like we did in the second half, but patience. There is a lot of season left.

Langs goes through a stretch in every game where I think he gets the "yips" on play calling and goes to pass almost every down or other head stratchers. He did in the Oregon game 2nd quarter. He seemed to calm down at half and called a good 2nd half IMHO. Lee did not execute it well at times - but play calls were good even we when we ended up punting.

What? You lost me when you said Langsdorf is in over his head. He put together a pretty good game plan again. In the end, we didn't make the throws, but we had a chance to put up some big time points in this games, just didn't execute. Was far from the schemes fault. Also, Eichorst with a plan B? Why is this even mentioned? I realize not everyone that is a fan has full football knowledge, but this post was pretty rough. Why don't you let the season start to play out, and then maybe post a few of your thoughts later on. I'm pretty sure the coaches know what they are doing. I am in agreement we need to pick it up and play like we did in the second half, but patience. There is a lot of season left.
Hope my concerns are wrong but I doubt it. Some guys get things done better than others. That's true in the business world as well as sports. We've been in the tank for 20 Years.

To me, they've jumped in too fast and far with TL. Give him some shorter throws to get a pattern of completions. Set him up to succeed. IDK why everything has to be play action.

I love our offense. Reminds me of the New York Giants a couple years back when Eli Manning was throwing the same deep bombs to Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. Believe they won a Super Bowl or two with that kind of offense. It may not be working like clockwork right now with Stanley Morgan, but I guarantee you the recruits that see that will want to play that kind of offense. Josh Moore in particular seems to love that go route.

there's a place for go routes. on the first play trailing 7 to 0 after your defense was handed its lunch in a hostile road environment in a big game prob isnt it.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
there's a place for go routes. on the first play trailing 7 to 0 after your defense was handed its lunch in a hostile road environment in a big game prob isnt it.
Really? Play seemed to work just fine. Tanner Lee made a perfect throw, Stanley Morgan jumped and had a perfect chance at a ball the defenders couldn't get at because of said perfect throw; and Stanley Morgan flat out missed the ball, it went through his hands, bounced off his facemask and into the waiting arms of an Oregon defender. Just because the outcome wasn't good doesn't mean the play didn't work. Everything about the play worked, except the catching the pass part, and sadly that made a big difference in the outcome of the play.

Really? Play seemed to work just fine. Tanner Lee made a perfect throw, Stanley Morgan jumped and had a perfect chance at a ball the defenders couldn't get at because of said perfect throw; and Stanley Morgan flat out missed the ball, it went through his hands, bounced off his facemask and into the waiting arms of an Oregon defender. Just because the outcome wasn't good doesn't mean the play didn't work. Everything about the play worked, except the catching the pass part, and sadly that made a big difference in the outcome of the play.

You and tuco apparently have a different definition of "seemed to work just fine" than others here.

it's a high risk/high reward type play. Just not a fan of it, no matter what the result, when you're already down 7 and your defense could use a chance to regroup for a few minutes.

it's a high risk/high reward type play. Just not a fan of it, no matter what the result, when you're already down 7 and your defense could use a chance to regroup for a few minutes.
There seems to be little coordination between defensive game plans and offensive game plans. In short the offense especially is not playing as a part of a team and protecting the defense. This is rileys fault and also indicates short comings from langsdorf

Wasn't that the 1st offensive play of the game? Should we really have came out and been conservative in the first series? I am confident if we ran 3 times and punted DL would have been called too conservative.

I think the announcers even mentioned in the 2nd half that it was great to see NU still running the ball and not panicking. At some point that had to take some risks and air it out to get caught up.

What would you have liked to have seen different?

Reactions: OzzyLvr and timnsun
There seems to be little coordination between defensive game plans and offensive game plans. In short the offense especially is not playing as a part of a team and protecting the defense. This is rileys fault and also indicates short comings from langsdorf

What? Based on what? So far this year Nebraska has had 2 games with a 100 yard rusher, has thrown a bunch of ball control play action passes and throws an occasional deep ball to keep the defense honest.

You, like Suhnami, are judging results not process.

To paraphrase a great man, three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad.
That said, the only issue I have with that play in that situation is that Neb just gave up a TD, maybe start with a safer throw or even a run to give the offense a chance to acclimate to the game.

Reactions: SOHusker11
To paraphrase a great man, three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad.
That said, the only issue I have with that play in that situation is that Neb just gave up a TD, maybe start with a safer throw or even a run to give the offense a chance to acclimate to the game.

"Safer throw" is relative to the QB. Its hard to be accurate downfield, hence the lower percentages.

Its not a term that really applies when Lee hit Morgan with just as accurate a throw as if Morgan was still on the LOS awaiting a screen.

Someone posted we were 23 runs 10 passes on 1st down against ASU. DL went for the chunk play bucking tendency.

How was that not a safe throw? If the ball doesn't ricochet of his facemask backwards it doesn't get picked off... He didn't underthrow it so that the DB could make a play on the ball. The DB was beat. They got a very fortuitous bounce. The throw was not a dangerous throw at all.

If you want to say just run the ball first, that's fine. But the throw itself was not a dangerous throw.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
What? Based on what? So far this year Nebraska has had 2 games with a 100 yard rusher, has thrown a bunch of ball control play action passes and throws an occasional deep ball to keep the defense honest.

You, like Suhnami, are judging results not process.

We also have a QB who hasn't played in a game in nearly 2 years completing 52% of his passes and had 4 INTs in the last game which was a loss. Maybe there needs to be a change to the process.

We also have a QB who hasn't played in a game in nearly 2 years completing 52% of his passes and had 4 INTs in the last game which was a loss. Maybe there needs to be a change to the process.
but hey we run it the same number of times that we pass - thats balance right?

Again, why? There are open receivers missed and dropped balls. I will have to find it, but I have seen stats that break down the pct of throws in which quadrants of the field. It isn't as though DL is calling 40 yard go routes. You cannot just go to run the ball up the middle because your receivers dropped balls in one game. Against Arkansas St he completed 59.4% and had no picks and the offense wasn't the reason the game was close. You have a team averaging 39 points a game and you want to change things. Yes, 2 of the picks were on Lee making bad decisions, but one was a lucky bounce and the other on a blown blocking assignment where his arm was hit. Those 2 interceptions aren't because of playcalling.

Offense: I feel Danny L. is in over his head. Especially as a game day coach from the box. We continue to throw deep 50/50 balls to our short receivers. Last year (me included) blamed Tommy for those choices. Now it looks like it's our OC. He and MR are definitely not on the same page. MR says one thing during the week then come Sat. and we do nothing that he said happens. IE. more throws to Spielman. More throws to TE, RB. Screens which is their scheme. I could go on and on.
Defense: To early to judge our new D Staff but certainly looks to be a long year. The 3-4 we were told would position us to be a better blitzing team. " QB's won't know where the blitz is coming from?" We we've had 1 sack and for my eyes rarely blitz. Opposing QB's look like All Americans. Sound or look the same? Our D Line looks to be the best position group we have. We may even have some young studs make All Conference down the road.
Overall: I think we are recruiting better talent but we are so far behind Top 10 Teams by the time it gets turned around (IF we do) Mike R. will be ready for retirement. Then what? Does Eichorst have a plan B. Is he looking around?
Last: I wish MR would lead the team on the field and if we have a player go down get by his side on the field with the trainers.
GBR. So Sick of Loosing but will always support Big Red in all sports.
Tommy was the same guy under Beck. Couldn't throw short or ntermediate so I'm not putting that on Langs yet. I do worry about his play clock management.

Right now, this team makes more mistakes than it can afford, both coaching and players. Almost got them beat in game one, beat in game two. If they can somehow get that straightened out, victories will come, although the rest of the season, in my opinion, will be one tough game after the other. Nothing wrong with that, however, makes for a more exciting season, lost fingernails and all! :eek:

This is just ill informed. When you are chasing a 28 point lead, you are going to have to throw the ball to catch up. In the first game, we ran the ball 38 times and averaged nearly 6 yards per touch.
how about when the lead was only 7 points and nine minutes left - its not how many times we run my beef is we pass when we dont have to and the pass is Langsdorf go to play

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
how about when the lead was only 7 points and nine minutes left - its not how many times we run my beef is we pass when we dont have to and the pass is Langsdorf go to play

And can you give me the D that was set up for those pass plays we didn't have to make? What play was called and did Lee change it? Was it a RPO play? I cringe when people complain about the call based on nothing except - "we don't have to." Now that is very convincing.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT