ADVERTISEMENT

Confirmed Coaching Staff Members

Special Teams Coach, I believe.

All I have to say is NU opened up the wallet to sign Rhule. Now sharpen your pencil, find some more available money and GIVE the man the money it's going to take for him to round out this overall staff with the very best available candidate that's hireable.

This is no time to get cheap just because NU paid big money for the HC. NU can't be losing a potential staff member over something piddly like 100K or so. Find the money.

All I have to say is NU opened up the wallet to sign Rhule. Now sharpen your pencil, find some more available money and GIVE the man the money it's going to take for him to round out this overall staff with the very best available candidate that's hireable.

This is no time to get cheap just because NU paid big money for the HC. NU can't be losing a potential staff member over something piddly like 100K or so. Find the money.
We have the 3rd largest assistants salary pool as of the moment.

The assistant pool is $7 mil. I think that should be a good amount for Rhule’s 10 allowed assistants.

x100

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Consistent quotes:

Open the checkbook
Run the ball
Call the right play

What am I missing?

The $7 mill had to negotiated by Rhule so he has to make that work. There are limits to everything.
How about an original thought? Including 3-4-5 wins a year due to incompetent staff?

Hopefully no more straying from what has been effective on offense to something safer (aka run up the middle every play) with so much time left on the clock. Playing too safe too soon has cost us games in the past and nearly cost us the game against Iowa. We started playing safe early in the 4th quarter and I remember thinking....Here we go again.

Last edited:
Hopefully no more straying from what has been effective on offense to something safer (aka run up the middle every play) with so much time left on the clock. Playing too safe too soon has cost us games in the past and nearly cost us the game against Iowa. We started playing safe early in the 4th quarter and I remember thinking....Here we go again.

Opening up the offense would have given Iowa a chance to win.

It was the fumble that made it close.

Take that away and we win by 14.

Choking and not having a running game is what cost us games.

I disagree. Playing not to lose too often ends up biting you in the @ss. We were lucky their backup QB wanted to give us the ball.

Running the ball when you are up 14 is not playing to lose.

It brought us National titles

Teams want you to throw when they are behind because it stops the clock and gives you more chances for turnovers.

New guy seems to know how to play with a lead
FimYfAOWAAEtZSl

May be that there will be no hold overs.....not even the analysts. If thats the case......let current staff go immediately so they can start looking at options.

100k now might save millions in buyouts down the road.

Any word on Offensive Line Coach yet?

Rhule's OL coach at Baylor, Shawn Bell, is now QB coach there...so seems unlikely to leave. His OL Coach at Temple, George DeLeone, passed away this year. He fired his first OL coach with the Panthers, Pat Meyer. His latest OL Coach at Carolina, James Campen, is a longtime NFL coach who has never coached at the college level.

May be that there will be no hold overs.....not even the analysts. If thats the case......let current staff go immediately so they can start looking at options.
Since Rhule says he'll have his staff complete by Friday and on the road recruiting, I don't think you have to worry about any former Nebraska assistants having sufficient notice. They already know they're terminated.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Any word on Offensive Line Coach yet?

Rhule's OL coach at Baylor, Shawn Bell, is now QB coach there...so seems unlikely to leave. His OL Coach at Temple, George DeLeone, passed away this year. He fired his first OL coach with the Panthers, Pat Meyer. His latest OL Coach at Carolina, James Campen, is a longtime NFL coach who has never coached at the college level.
People are going to lose their mind if the only guy he retains is Raiola🤣. Personally I would be fine with that. I think he made some slow progress with some guys who in some cases aren’t very physically gifted.

Talked to a college coach and a high school coach and both of them said when you are not a real good offense and the offense is working you keep your foot on the gas. Make no effort to slow down. Do what got you there and continue doing it. Nebraska did NOT do that against Iowa. If you think they did you are not aware of what you were watching!

Reactions: Child of the Corn
Talked to a college coach and a high school coach and both of them said when you are not a real good offense and the offense is working you keep your foot on the gas. Make no effort to slow down. Do what got you there and continue doing it. Nebraska did NOT do that against Iowa. If you think they did you are not aware of what you were watching!
Completely agree with them.

I honestly seen it more times in high school bb. On a roll and then try to slow it down and play keep away. More times than not it hasn't ended well

Reactions: Child of the Corn
People are going to lose their mind if the only guy he retains is Raiola🤣. Personally I would be fine with that. I think he made some slow progress with some guys who in some cases aren’t very physically gifted.
In the unlikely event he keeps Raiola it could be the OL coach he wants is still coaching or Rhule may not think Donovan is as terrible as we think, or if he thinks the OL can be improved enough to maybe have a shot at the Raiola kid if he is unhappy at OSU. The least likely is that he will retain Raiola.

Or he may want to hire Raiola cheaply, mentor him and use that smaller salary to use for a larger salary for someone who he still wants to hire but is short with allowed money for hiring.

In the unlikely event he keeps Raiola it could be the OL coach he wants is still coaching or Rhule may not think Donovan is as terrible as we think, or if he thinks the OL can be improved enough to maybe have a shot at the Raiola kid if he is unhappy at OSU. The least likely is that he will retain Raiola.

Or he may want to hire Raiola cheaply, mentor him and use that smaller salary to use for a larger salary for someone who he still wants to hire but is short with allowed money for hiring.
All possible scenarios. I honestly can’t be sure it was Raiola’s fault or just the hand he was dealt talent wise. Rhule would be a much better judge of that.

Reactions: Laner2
Completely agree with them.
While I agree in theory, in practice, every one of those coaches will find ways to shorten the game any way they can. Run it more, just a few times more, it doesn't take much. play safeties a couple steps deeper. I don't think all of the feet on the peddle steps are quite as obvious as just plowing up the middle for three straight runs.

I also find it interesting that no matter what Whips does it is wrong, if he passes too much he should have run, if he runs, he should have passed. I am sure the new OC will be perfect though.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
ADVERTISEMENT