ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Title Race

coolonetoo

Junior
May 12, 2003
I'm a fan of the clinching scenarios and "playoff machine" simulators that come out the last few weeks of the NFL season. With two weekends to go, here are some clinching scenarios for Nebraska to win the Big Ten, assuming all scheduled games are played. Yes, it's possible for Nebraska to clinch this weekend.

NEBRASKA GOES 4-0 VS. INDIANA/OHIO STATE
1. Michigan loses 2 games vs. Maryland
OR
2. Nebraska wins 1 or more games vs. Michigan

NEBRASKA GOES 3-1 VS. INDIANA/OHIO STATE
1. Nebraska wins 2 or more games vs. Michigan
OR
2. Nebraska wins 1 game vs. Michigan AND Michigan loses 1 or more games vs. Maryland AND Indiana loses 2 or more games vs. Nebraska/Ohio State/Maryland AND Maryland loses 1 or more games vs. Michigan/Indiana
OR
3. Nebraska wins 0 games vs. Michigan AND Michigan loses 3 games vs. Maryland AND Indiana loses 3 or more games vs. Nebraska/Ohio State/Maryland AND Maryland loses 2 or more games vs. Indiana.

NEBRASKA GOES 2-2 VS. INDIANA/OHIO STATE
1. Nebraska wins 3 games vs. Michigan AND Indiana loses 1 or more games vs. Nebraska/Ohio State/Maryland
OR
2. Nebraska wins 2 games vs. Michigan AND Indiana loses 2 or more games vs. Nebraska/Ohio State/Maryland AND Maryland loses 1 or more games vs. Michigan/Indiana
OR
3. Nebraska wins 1 game vs. Michigan AND Michigan loses 2 or more games vs. Maryland AND Indiana loses 3 or more games vs. Nebraska/Ohio State/Maryland AND Maryland loses 2 or more games vs. Michigan/Indiana

NEBRASKA GOES 1-3 VS. INDIANA/OHIO STATE
1. Nebraska wins 3 games vs. Michigan AND Indiana loses 2 or more games vs. Nebraska/Ohio State/Maryland AND Maryland loses 1 or more games vs. Michigan/Indiana
OR
2. Nebraska wins 2 games vs. Michigan AND Michigan loses 1 or more games vs. Maryland AND Indiana loses 3 or more games vs. Nebraska/Ohio State/Maryland AND Maryland loses 2 or more games vs. Michigan/Indiana
OR
3. Nebraska wins 1 game vs. Michigan AND Michigan loses 2 games vs. Maryland AND Indiana loses 3 games vs. Nebraska/Ohio State AND Maryland loses 2 games vs. Indiana AND Iowa loses 1 game vs. Northwestern/Michigan State

NEBRASKA GOES 0-4 VS. INDIANA/OHIO STATE
1. Nebraska wins 3 games vs. Michigan AND Indiana loses 3 or more games vs. Ohio State/Maryland AND Maryland loses 2 or more games vs. Michigan/Indiana

So it's possible to go 2-5 and still finish in first place. I wouldn't count on that happening.

Going at 2-2 or better in Bloomington with at least one win against the Hoosiers and winning the Michigan series should be enough to get the job done.

Last edited:
Very cool. Do you do this on your own or do you have a scenario calculator where you just do data entry?

How about doing one for Michigan and Indiana?

Reactions: scarletred
Very cool. Do you do this on your own or do you have a scenario calculator where you just do data entry?

How about doing one for Michigan and Indiana?
I created a spreadsheet that let me adjust the W/L totals for each team each weekend. I can do one for Michigan and Indiana. Maryland, too. I’ll skip Iowa.

My prediction over the next 7 games is 6-1 and no worse than 5-2. If we go 6-1 we'll drop one to Michigan, and if 5-2 we'll drop 1 to Ohio St and again 1 to Michigan and will take both from Indiana on their field. The beautiful thing about these next 7 games is, 6 of the 7 will watched nationally and then the nation will see how good we really are.

So it's possible to go 2-5 and still finish in first place. I wouldn't count on that happening.
This scenario intrigued me so I decided to bore down on it and gain a full understanding of it.

What I came to see was that it is a leader board wide collapse. It would be the most embarrassing end possible to the Big Ten's season and likely produce just one team in the regionals - the AQ... Nebraska. It's all bogies to the last hole.

And, Nebraska would be the conference champion with the worst record in the final two weeks of the teams on the leader board. It's a clown's game of hot potato - I don't want it you can have it it's too hot for me. Too funny.

Saving the bullpen in that game against Indiana was huge since we will be facing OSU’s #2 and we are in a sense utilizing Johnny Wholestaff. Wonder who gets the start tomorrow? Perry again? Maybe Wynn? I think Bunz will be first go out of the bullpen regardless.

Saving the bullpen in that game against Indiana was huge since we will be facing OSU’s #2 and we are in a sense utilizing Johnny Wholestaff. Wonder who gets the start tomorrow? Perry again? Maybe Wynn? I think Bunz will be first go out of the bullpen regardless.

Should be in pretty good shape to piece the game together tomorrow with something like:

Perry - 2 IP
Frank - 1 IP
Schreiber - 2 IP
Wynne - 1 IP
Bunz - 2 IP
Schwelly - 1 IP

Rack up the hits and pitch anyone we want.
maxresdefault.jpg

Should be in pretty good shape to piece the game together tomorrow with something like:

Perry - 2 IP
Frank - 1 IP
Schreiber - 2 IP
Wynne - 1 IP
Bunz - 2 IP
Schwelly - 1 IP
Don’t forget Hallmark for an inning possibly.

ADVERTISEMENT