ADVERTISEMENT

Conference only

Quicker22

Nov 24, 2019
Looks like conference only. So stupid when they have Creighton and UNO 45 minutes away in the same state. I'm so sick and tired of the stupid Big10

Reactions: saluno22
If the schedule doesn't get pushed back a month under the proposal, Big Ten baseball bubble for a few weeks early in the season in Texas/Florida/Arizona???

I doubt it, but will be a pain to play games in the north that early.

Reactions: Reditus
Crazy to think the Nebraska-Creighton game at TD Ameritrade won’t happen for two straight seasons. It will have been three years since we last played them at TD Ameritrade by the time we meet up in 2022.

44 league games means we play 11 of the 12 B1G members, all in a 4 game series. Brutal on college pitching staffs to play 4 games in 48 hours unless 1 of the 4 is a 7-inning game. Still, that's taxing on a staff. Pretty sure some JUCO conferences do the 7-inning deal on doubleheader days.

11 weeks of games takes us right to the usual time frame of conference tournaments. It'll be interesting to see if the B1G has a conference tournament, or not, and how that works for auto bids, etc since B1G teams RPI's/SOS's will take a hit without OOC games.

Last edited:
Without putting much thought in to it, I'd like to see the NCAA request all conferences not to play a conference tournament and instead, every single school advances to the post-season.

Seeds 1-16 get an auto bid to Regionals, as they'll be the hosts. All other teams are grouped in to a sub-Regional, 4 teams each, with a double elimination setting. Winners of each advance to Regionals and the ball rolls like normal from that point.

Not sure how the numbers work, someone more familiar with the total number of teams remaining after announcements of cancelations can weigh in. If I'm way off due to the numbers, lets have a good discussion on how to make this work although Kevin Warren is as inept as a leader can be.

299 total teams in a normal season. Ivy league already canceled so now we're at a total of 291.
  • 291 - 16 top seeds = 275 remaining teams for sub Regionals
  • 275 ÷ 4 per sub Regionals = 68.75 champions
To make this work, somehow it's needed to cut the total number of teams available for sub Regionals down to 192 instead of 275, and once that happens the numbers work.

I vote Creighton is out, just need to figure out another 82 teams to exclude.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobsterMobster

44 league games means we play 11 of the 12 B1G members, all in a 4 game series. Brutal on college pitching staffs to play 4 games in 48 hours unless 1 of the 4 is a 7-inning game. Still, that's taxing on a staff. Pretty sure some JUCO conferences do the 7-inning deal on doubleheader days.

11 weeks of games takes us right to the usual time frame of conference tournaments. It'll be interesting to see if the B1G has a conference tournament, or not, and how that works for auto bids, etc since B1G teams RPI's/SOS's will take a hit without OOC games.
That's how the Big Ten used to do it: not the number of conference series, but every conference series was a 4-game series with 7-inning doubleheaders on Saturday. That was until around 2000 I believe and the Big Ten was more like a mid-major conference around that time.

ADVERTISEMENT