ADVERTISEMENT

Competitive balance schedule

9and4

All-American
Dec 4, 2013
Baltimore
If the Big 10 were looking for a competitively balanced schedule, the inter-divisional games would look something like this, based on last year's final divisional standings:
1 vs. 1,2Wisconsin vs. OSU, PSU (if RU/Md, you know Alvarez weighed in)
2 vs. 1, 3Minnesota vs. OSU, Michigan (preserves Brown Jug)
3 vs. 2, 4Iowa vs. PSU, Indiana
4 vs. 3, 5Illinois vs. Michigan, MSU
5 vs. 4, 6PU vs. Indiana, Maryland (Preserves Indiana/PU rivalry)
6 vs. 5, 7Nebraska vs. MSU, Rutgers (both games on second schedule)
7 vs. 6, 7Northwestern vs. Maryland, Rutgers

In a few days the schedule will come out, Nebraska will have the toughest schedule by far, not even close. Wisconsin will have the easiest, not even close.
I suspect the same outcome. We'll have PSU and OSU, while dropping Rutgers and MSU from the August schedule, while Wisconsin will keep Maryland and Rutgers, while dropping Indiana and Michigan.

😂No way Alvarez is going to let Nebraska play Rutgers and Sparty..

Read they are taking away one of the 3 crossover games from original schedule... At tOSU if they keep cross over rivalry game and Penn St at home..

I‘d like to see Ohio St play Iowa since they’ve only played twice since 2011 and let us play Rutgers..

In a few days the schedule will come out, Nebraska will have the toughest schedule by far, not even close. Wisconsin will have the easiest, not even close.
So there are 8 regular season games. Teams will play all others in the division. That leaves 2 cross division games. I think it's a given Nebraska plays tOSU. If you stay with the last schedule published it will either be Rutgers or MSU. Nebraska should be able to win either. If we get PSU, what we complaining about this isn't the old Big 8. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Stop crying.

So there are 8 regular season games. Teams will play all others in the division. That leaves 2 cross division games. I think it's a given Nebraska plays tOSU. If you stay with the last schedule published it will either be Rutgers or MSU. Nebraska should be able to win either. If we get PSU, what we complaining about this isn't the old Big 8. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Stop crying.

The schedule in August is thrown out..

: Looks similar to the original schedule.

Purdue
Illinois
at Northwestern
( at Rutgers or at Ohio St)
Penn State
at Ioway
at Wisconsin
Minnesota

Since we have joined the BIG has either Wisconsin or Iowa ever had a more difficult schedule? Just pointing out and complaining about the Corruption in the BIG and not having to play a tough schedule.

The schedule in August is thrown out..

: Looks similar to the original schedule.

Purdue
Illinois
at Northwestern
( at Rutgers or at Ohio St)
Penn State
at Ioway
at Wisconsin
Minnesota

We suspect Purdue opens at Nebraska,
as originally was the schedule.

Ohio State over Rutgers for Nebraska, Michigan for Wisconsin and Penn State for Iowa, since they will preserve annual paired teams.

October 23rd opener will be Iowa at Minnesota.

Since we have joined the BIG has either Wisconsin or Iowa ever had a more difficult schedule? Just pointing out and complaining about the Corruption in the BIG and not having to play a tough schedule.

FWIW

Since Nebraska has joined the conference, Ioway has never played in the same year these teams like Nebraska did the first year in the conference in 2011..

Ohio St
Michigan
Penn St
Wisconsin
Michigan St

If the Big 10 were looking for a competitively balanced schedule, the inter-divisional games would look something like this, based on last year's final divisional standings:
1 vs. 1,2Wisconsin vs. OSU, PSU (if RU/Md, you know Alvarez weighed in)
2 vs. 1, 3Minnesota vs. OSU, Michigan (preserves Brown Jug)
3 vs. 2, 4Iowa vs. PSU, Indiana
4 vs. 3, 5Illinois vs. Michigan, MSU
5 vs. 4, 6PU vs. Indiana, Maryland (Preserves Indiana/PU rivalry)
6 vs. 5, 7Nebraska vs. MSU, Rutgers (both games on second schedule)
7 vs. 6, 7Northwestern vs. Maryland, Rutgers
To be the best you have to beat the best ! bring it on .

commissioner Alvarez will give Nebraska no breaks what so ever and with the stiff restrictions doubt if any team plays the full schedule
Yep I've become very disappointed with Alvarez. I always liked him as a Husker and appreciated the fact that he copied NU to make Wisconsin what they are. But he's sure been an anti NU guy since we joined the big.... IMO

2016 and 2017 come to mind as far as Iowa is concerned. 2020 would have been harder for Iowa with crossovers of OSU, PSU, and MSU (even though they are going to suck).

Yep I've become very disappointed with Alvarez. I always liked him as a Husker and appreciated the fact that he copied NU to make Wisconsin what they are. But he's sure been an anti NU guy since we joined the big.... IMO
he's no longer a Husker. He left that behind long ago when he got passed over here for a coaching position. Just like he's no longer a Hawkeye or Golden Domer.

I’m pretty sure I’ve told that to scarlet a few times. Iowa was scheduled for that gauntlet but they realigned before it could happen.

Show me the proof of that and I will concede..tOSU have always been in the East /Leaders..

Took till the 4th year before Iowa played them after the 2013 season..

PS... Iowa played Indiana four out of the first 5 years and it took 6 years before Nebraska played Indiana.Iowa played Ohio St once in a 6 years the same as Nebraska playing Indiana...

Rest my case.

Last edited:
To be the best you have to beat the best ! bring it on .

giphy.gif

To me, this entire season will be like playing with house money before normaly returns. Give us all the baddies, open up the playbook and let's get after it.

You know ever since the rumors were flying around that eichort consulted Barry on who to hire after he fired bozo and Barry supposedly suggested smiling mike. If that’s true which my sources tell me it was then screw him have no use for Barry even if he’s a Nebraska alum

Reactions: huskerfan66

The schedule normally rotates where one team gets hit with a tougher schedule than the rest - here is just one example:

2016 was tougher for both WISCONSIN and IOWA
2016 - WISCONSIN crossovers @ MSU, @ MICH, OSU
2016 - NEBRASKA crossovers @ OSU, @ IND, MD
2016 - IOWA crossovers @ RUT, @ PSU, MICH
Same for 2019
2019 - WISCONSIN crossovers MSU, MICH, @ OSU
2019 - NEBRASKA crossovers OSU, IND, @ MD
2019 - IOWA crossovers RUT, PSU, @ MICH

Interestingly in 2024 and 2027, WISC and NEB get hit with identical crossovers (IOWA will have a big advantage in these 2 years).
2024 - WISCONSIN crossovers @ MICH, @OSU, PSU
2024 - NEBRASKA crossovers @ MICH, @ PSU, OSU
2027 - WISCONSIN crossovers MICH, OSU, @ PSU
2027 - NEBRASKA crossovers MICH, PSU, @ OSU

Last edited:
FWIW

Since Nebraska has joined the conference, Ioway has never played in the same year these teams like Nebraska did the first year in the conference in 2011..

Ohio St
Michigan
Penn St
Wisconsin
Michigan St

It isn't possible, since 2014 go play all those teams. Prior to 2014, three seasons Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Nebraska were in same division.

It isn't possible, since 2014 go play all those teams. Prior to 2014, three seasons Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Nebraska were in same division.

No $&it.

But yet Nebraska did in 2011.. Nebraska didn’t get to play Indiana and Purdue 3 out of the first 4 years...And Nebraska played Penn St 3 of the 4 years..

Reactions: huskerfan66
The schedule normally rotates where one team gets hit with a tougher schedule than the rest - here is just one example:

2016 was tougher for both WISCONSIN and IOWA
2016 - WISCONSIN crossovers @ MSU, @ MICH, OSU
2016 - NEBRASKA crossovers @ OSU, @ IND, MD
2016 - IOWA crossovers @ RUT, @ PSU, MICH
Same for 2019
2019 - WISCONSIN crossovers MSU, MICH, @ OSU
2019 - NEBRASKA crossovers OSU, IND, @ MD
2019 - IOWA crossovers RUT, PSU, @ MICH

Interestingly in 2024 and 2027, WISC and NEB get hit with identical crossovers (IOWA will have a big advantage in these 2 years).
2024 - WISCONSIN crossovers @ MICH, @OSU, PSU
2024 - NEBRASKA crossovers @ MICH, @ PSU, OSU
2027 - WISCONSIN crossovers MICH, OSU, @ PSU
2027 - NEBRASKA crossovers MICH, PSU, @ OSU

One reason is Nebraska gets Michigan for it’s crossover rivalry and Wisconsin gets Ohio St.:oops:

Iowa won the million dollar lottery by getting Rutgers :rolleyes:during this duration.

This is exactly why division champion should be determined by w-l within the division because of like competition

If they would rotate teams from the opposite division instead of having this crossover rivalry BS it would work similar to the Big 12 did it wouldn’t be discussed negatively..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT