ADVERTISEMENT

Commit #13 DiCaprio Bootle

Oh please, oh please, oh please let NU now recruit a DB named Leonardo. (Somebody had to say it)..... Welcome Mr. Bootle!

Offer list is not impressive thus far....must have done pretty well at our camp though. Also, for me...we can't have enough southern Florida speed. Can't teach speed....the rest should come with good coaching.

Offer list is not impressive thus far....must have done pretty well at our camp though. Also, for me...we can't have enough southern Florida speed. Can't teach speed....the rest should come with good coaching.
Runs 4.4 40m and 21.3 (200m) 10.64 (100m) Lightening fast

Track speed doesn't always translate to football speed (with pads on). But I'll trust our coaches' judgment until they give me reason not to.

Yeah I'm all for this pickup. Like Harry Caray said, I'll trust our coaches' judgment until they give me a reason not to. Welcome Dicaprio! GBR

Track speed doesn't always translate to football speed (with pads on). But I'll trust our coaches' judgment until they give me reason not to.

I'm not excited about this offer but I will follow suit with the coaches. God knows how many chances I gave asshat and his dingleberries.

I'm not excited about this offer but I will follow suit with the coaches. God knows how many chances I gave asshat and his dingleberries.

Not for sure if they ran with pads at the camp, but he recorded a 4.34 40 at our Miami camp and consistently ran 4.4 at other camps. Out of the 400+ campers he was the fastest and is thought to not only be one of the fastest prospects in South Florida, but the entire nation. He doesn't have much film and apparently doesn't have the finances to get noticed at "rivals" camps. He didn't just get the offer because he is fast either, he can play and carries a 3.6 GPA to boot, not having offers was because lack of exposure not lack of talent. It will be difficult to keep him now that the spotlight is on him. UCF and Texas were beginning to build relationships with him before he committed today. We didn't just offer him, it was a committable offer, meaning he is towards the very top of our board. You don't give "projects" the ability to commit in July... January yes... (as Im sure you are well aware) but not July.

Also consider that the purpose of the camps are really to find talent that hasn't had the platform to get exposure, so they won't have a ton of offers and won't be ranked highly. The much reverred Jim Harbaugh pulled two 2 stars and 0 Star from their camps. Have to keep this stuff in mind, when you attempt to judge it.

Last edited:
Time will tell on this guy. I believe our coaches will look like genuises or idiots with this guy. I look forward to see his development

Cool, elite 5 star speed is rare, hopefully he gets the football part too. MR organizational skills landed this kid. Add 15 lbs of muscle this kid will be interesting to watch!

Cool, elite 5 star speed is rare, hopefully he gets the football part too. MR organizational skills landed this kid. Add 15 lbs of muscle this kid will be interesting to watch!
Great points; with the extra weight he will be a human rocket. Would destroy arm tackles.

Not for sure if they ran with pads at the camp, but he recorded a 4.34 40 at our Miami camp and consistently ran 4.4 at other camps. Out of the 400+ campers he was the fastest and is thought to not only be one of the fastest prospects in South Florida, but the entire nation. He doesn't have much film and apparently doesn't have the finances to get noticed at "rivals" camps. He didn't just get the offer because he is fast either, he can play and carries a 3.6 GPA to boot, not having offers was because lack of exposure not lack of talent. It will be difficult to keep him now that the spotlight is on him. UCF and Texas were beginning to build relationships with him before he committed today. We didn't just offer him, it was a committable offer, meaning he is towards the very top of our board. You don't give "projects" the ability to commit in July... January yes... (as Im sure you are well aware) but not July.

Also consider that the purpose of the camps are really to find talent that hasn't had the platform to get exposure, so they won't have a ton of offers and won't be ranked highly. The much reverred Jim Harbaugh pulled two 2 stars and 0 Star from their camps. Have to keep this stuff in mind, when you attempt to judge it.
Heck of a walk on program; if you think about it.

If he was the next Mike Fullman, you can't tell me that's not worth a scholarship.
Not questioning his value one bit. If he's good enough for the coaches, that's good enough for me. I didn't mean to leave out kick/punt returns... He may have plenty of opportunities to break tackles. :)

Not questioning his value one bit. If he's good enough for the coaches, that's good enough for me. I didn't mean to leave out kick/punt returns... He may have plenty of opportunities to break tackles. :)
Yes ! Thanks for clarifying; I was thinking the coaches would strive to get the ball in his hands on returns. He also has outstanding leaping ability for a db if I remember correctly ( a theme? ).

His HS has produced a handful of 4-stars or higher in the last few years, so I am pretty sure his HS coaches are getting tape out. He goes to a HS that produces FBS talent every year. People take notice of this school. The school currently also has a 5.7 3-star WR that is being recruited by most of the major name schools (including us).

Also, his rivals profile picture is from a rivals camp, is it not?

If Riley wants to recruit lower rated guys like he did in Corvallis, fine but can we stop making excuses and completely discredit all the recruiting sites?

I am sure that if Riley's odd style of recruiting does not work out most of you that state " I will trust the coach over common sense" will be the first to want to hang the man in a few years when his recruiting style starts to show. Maybe this will work out for him & NU. I hope it does but common sense tells me that something seems odd when almost ever commit MR lands, someone has to come up with a reason why the kid was rated so low. It's cool but at this rate we'll probably end up at 50-ish in recruiting rankings and I don't see too many teams being great with recruiting rankings like that.

His HS has produced a handful of 4-stars or higher in the last few years, so I am pretty sure his HS coaches are getting tape out. He goes to a HS that produces FBS talent every year. People take notice of this school. The school currently also has a 5.7 3-star WR that is being recruited by most of the major name schools (including us).

Also, his rivals profile picture is from a rivals camp, is it not?

If Riley wants to recruit lower rated guys like he did in Corvallis, fine but can we stop making excuses and completely discredit all the recruiting sites?

I am sure that if Riley's odd style of recruiting does not work out most of you that state " I will trust the coach over common sense" will be the first to want to hang the man in a few years when his recruiting style starts to show. Maybe this will work out for him & NU. I hope it does but common sense tells me that something seems odd when almost ever commit MR lands, someone has to come up with a reason why the kid was rated so low. It's cool but at this rate we'll probably end up at 50-ish in recruiting rankings and I don't see too many teams being great with recruiting rankings like that.
Seriously, spinner? Almost every recruit needs a reason why they are rated so low? Terry Wilson, Marquel Dismuke, John Raridon, Quayshon Alexander, and Patrick O'Brien all say hi. And you think we'll end up at 50ish in recruiting rankings?

What do you do for a pick-me-up?

If Riley wants to recruit lower rated guys like he did in Corvallis, fine but can we stop making excuses and completely discredit all the recruiting sites? It's cool but at this rate we'll probably end up at 50-ish in recruiting rankings and I don't see too many teams being great with recruiting rankings like that.

I don't see ANYBODY arguing that this particular recruit isn't a bit of a roll of the dice. He's one of the fastest football players in the country. He's also currently not a great looking cornerback on film.

I don't see most of our other offers as gambles like this. Most, other than Bootle and Thomas have lots of other P5 offers. Compare our class so far to a Corvallis class based on P5 offers. It's not the same thing. Compare our outstanding offer sheet and players who have us in their top 5. Not the same thing at all.

We'll finish 50ish based on what, exactly. We're 24th at 24/7, 32nd here on Rivals, 23d on Scout, 22nd at ESPN. Our class is half-full. What would make you think we'll drop that far?

On 7/20/2014 Pelini had 9 commits (I'll give you Mirko Jurkovic even though he didn't commit until 7/21/2014) and Nebraska finished with the #31 ranked class.

Yet you're saying that Nebraska will finish in the 50's this year?

...If Riley wants to recruit lower rated guys like he did in Corvallis, fine but can we stop making excuses and completely discredit all the recruiting sites?

I'll read the 50-ish recruiting ranking as being an embellishment on your part. On my part, I get tired of all the "this guy is rated too low" posts. Not everybody below 4 stars on our commit list is underrated. I use Rivals to look at recruiting. I'm not going to window shop for the site that rates NU the highest, I'm not going to pick and choose the highest rating for each player from each site. 22nd, 32nd, does it matter? Are these two ratings that much different when talking about rankings in July. At this point in time, the difference between Rival's 22nd and 32nd ranking using Rival's scoring method, is about one 4-star guy.

Before Riley, our recruiting finished in the 20th-30th recruiting ranking vicinity. We can't continue finishing 20th-30th and get to where we want to go. The kicker here is that we still have half our class to go and months before it's finished. I'd like to think I'm pretty objective, my gut feel is that we will finish better than we started.

Reactions: EyeLuvDaHuskerz
I'll read the 50-ish recruiting ranking as being an embellishment on your part. On my part, I get tired of all the "this guy is rated too low" posts. Not everybody below 4 stars on our commit list is underrated. I use Rivals to look at recruiting. I'm not going to window shop for the site that rates NU the highest, I'm not going to pick and choose the highest rating for each player from each site. 22nd, 32nd, does it matter? Are these two ratings that much different when talking about rankings in July. At this point in time, the difference between Rival's 22nd and 32nd ranking using Rival's scoring method, is about one 4-star guy.

Before Riley, our recruiting finished in the 20th-30th recruiting ranking vicinity. We can't continue finishing 20th-30th and get to where we want to go. The kicker here is that we still have half our class to go and months before it's finished. I'd like to think I'm pretty objective, my gut feel is that we will finish better than we started.

A few of our recruits seem to be rated oddly low by Rivals at this point, compared to how their seen by anybody else. Most seem at least roughly fair. O'Brien as a high 3-star? OK, high 3, low 4, whatever. But Terry Wilson as a low 3-star is just comical. And Quayshon Alexander barely in the top 40 (at weakside DE)... he's below Noah Fant, who I'd like to have. But I cannot see how ANYBODY could watch Fant's and Alexander's film and put Fant on top.

If you look only at Rivals, you're probably pretty disappointed in our class. If you look at all 4 sites, likely not as disappointed. Not satisfied, probably, but not as disappointed. We're off to a solid start but have to keep pressing. We need to land some of the big fish we're pursuing.

I don't think we will get top 10 classes to Lincoln with any consistency. What we can, and should do it get classes that are ranked 15th or so, and recruit just enough smarter than average and develop better than most so that in retrospect they PLAY like a top ten class.

A few of our recruits seem to be rated oddly low by Rivals at this point, compared to how their seen by anybody else. Most seem at least roughly fair. O'Brien as a high 3-star? OK, high 3, low 4, whatever. But Terry Wilson as a low 3-star is just comical. And Quayshon Alexander barely in the top 40 (at weakside DE)... he's below Noah Fant, who I'd like to have. But I cannot see how ANYBODY could watch Fant's and Alexander's film and put Fant on top.

If you look only at Rivals, you're probably pretty disappointed in our class. If you look at all 4 sites, likely not as disappointed. Not satisfied, probably, but not as disappointed. We're off to a solid start but have to keep pressing. We need to land some of the big fish we're pursuing.

I don't think we will get top 10 classes to Lincoln with any consistency. What we can, and should do it get classes that are ranked 15th or so, and recruit just enough smarter than average and develop better than most so that in retrospect they PLAY like a top ten class.

There's 4 rating services that I would look at. So, is Dicaprio Bootle a 3-star per rivals, or a 2-star as rated by another site? Is Marquel Dismuke a 4-star per rivals, or a 3-star as rated by another site? Terry Wilson is a 3-star on 3 of the sites. Only one site has Terry Wilson as a 4-star and that conspicuously came after an offer from Oregon. It seems reasonable to me if people want to make an argument for composite-type ratings. Alexander/POB fit into that discussion over being rated properly. Iowa thinks their class is underrated, are they?

I can't speak for others concerning where we are at in recruiting. There is certainly a better "feel" for the current staff. The process, communication, energy level all look way better, in fact, worlds apart from the previous staff. But that's not reflected in the RESULTS at this time. If pelini is a rumbling, stumbling, bumbling buffoon, I would expect worlds apart RESULTS with another staff. Especially a staff that is essentially in tact and has mounds of experience. So yes, I'm disappointed with the RESULTS so far.

I completely agree with landing 15ish classes and having them play at a higher level.

Reasonable and a very good formula - in fact; probably resembles Stage 1 goal set; or similar, if it exists

There's 4 rating services that I would look at. So, is Dicaprio Bootle a 3-star per rivals, or a 2-star as rated by another site? Is Marquel Dismuke a 4-star per rivals, or a 3-star as rated by another site? Terry Wilson is a 3-star on 3 of the sites. Only one site has Terry Wilson as a 4-star and that conspicuously came after an offer from Oregon. It seems reasonable to me if people want to make an argument for composite-type ratings. Alexander/POB fit into that discussion over being rated properly. Iowa thinks their class is underrated, are they?

Bootle is a bit hard to rate at this point, most of the services haven't really looked at him yet, they just threw an initial rating on him. Rivals put a 3-star out there others an initial 2-star, some no rating yet but none are more than a guess. He's such a high-ceiling/low floor prospect that he's hard to rate at this point. Not saying, at all, that Terry Wilson is a 4-star, but having him as barely a 3-star makes no sense to me. Dismuke is a low 4/high 3 everywhere, I think.

Overall Rivals has our recruits a touch lower in enough cases that they have us ranked noticeably lower overall than the other three services. Does this matter much in the end? Probably not.

Iowa has an enormous number of commits with zero other offers from Power 5 schools. If they're underrated, they're not just underrated by the recruiting services but by other coaches as well.

ADVERTISEMENT