ADVERTISEMENT

Coming up on the 1 year "anniversary" of MH370

Since it's lying at the bottom of the ocean and their search area is so huge, I would be surprised if it is ever found at this point.

It was a never-before seen type of drama. With the advent of global electronic communications and navigation systems, we're not used to seeing things just disappear. Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.

Originally posted by HuskerAlum92:
Since it's lying at the bottom of the ocean and their search area is so huge, I would be surprised if it is ever found at this point.

It was a never-before seen type of drama. With the advent of global electronic communications and navigation systems, we're not used to seeing things just disappear. Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.
My guess is you're right, it's on the ocean floor. BUT, until it's actually found, who can say for sure? Also, the plane only had a certain amount of fuel so it's reasonable to assume they could "narrow it down" to like a billion square miles, and with the amount of ocean floor they've scanned already that can be ruled out, at some point you gotta start to wonder if it's really there.

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:
Cannot believe they never found that plane. March 7th will be the 1 year mark.
I don't think you understand how big of an area we were looking in.

And the time component.

Originally posted by jflores:

Cannot believe they never found that plane. March 7th will be the 1 year mark.
I don't think you understand how big of an area we were looking in.

And the time component.
I understand.

I, like a lot of other people, just find it difficult a plane can disappear in today's world and not be found after such an intensive and highly technical search. Obviously it happened, but it's weird. What I will never understand though, is why there isn't a tracking device on these planes of some sort. Cannot believe in today's day and age they make no provisions to be able to track every plane. Hope they figure out in our lifetime, sure would like to know.

Right because you don't understand. Most people have no idea of the real scale of the face of the earth and the capabilities of humans to scan it. Partially because some methods are classified and partially because most people will never deal with a space so open in scale it's hard to really comprehend unless it's your job to do so.

Consider that when we send the shuttle into space that if the earth were the size of a basket ball the astronauts would be sitting on top of a quarter laid flat against it. That will give you some idea as to the vantage point of an airplane or worse yet standing on the deck of a ship.

If you've ever witnessed what it takes logisticAlly and planning wise to put a company of soldiers into a village, it should be no surprise that a multi-national fleet scanning the remotest regions on earth with no prior warning was a shot in the dark to say the least.

And that's assuming things go smoothly with the host govt which is not the case most often.

Or to demonstrate more precisely what you aren't understanding. Take your billion square miles and divide it by the size of Satellite image like you see on google maps. Say 100 square miles. What do you get? And how long does it take to collect that image? How many GB of data is that to downlink? How many satellite passes does it take if you get 20 minutes every 120? How many people does it take to look at 100 square miles for pieces probably not a lot bigger than a basketball pole? Or orange vests the size of a torso?

Take all those times and multiply by a million and you have your rough estimate. Then tell me how much you can't believe

It will never be found in its entirety or close to. The debris is likely spread over hundress of square miles due to the currents.

My guess is you're right, it's on the ocean floor. BUT, until it's actually found, who can say for sure?
Because if it was on land, some peasant would have found it within days if not hours.

Originally posted by HuskerAlum92:

My guess is you're right, it's on the ocean floor. BUT, until it's actually found, who can say for sure?
Because if it was on land, some peasant would have found it within days if not hours.

+1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT