ADVERTISEMENT

Column on the front page of OWH this morning

What would the lineups and matchups look like? Does Nebraska move to a 4-2-5 type look to get more speed on the field? I also think offensively Neb averages 5+ ypc and marches downfield consistently.

What would the lineups and matchups look like? Does Nebraska move to a 4-2-5 type look to get more speed on the field? I also think offensively Neb averages 5+ ypc and marches downfield consistently.

Ole Miss ran for 402 on them.....

Laughing

1995 NU beat the AP final ranked 2 (62-24), 5 (44-21), 7 (49-25) and 9 (41-3). Average margin of victory for the 12 games was an insane 38.5 pts. LSU was one score from losing to both Auburn and Bama. NU's closest game in 95 was 35-21 against Washington State.

Reactions: Chuck003
1995 NU beat the AP final ranked 2 (62-24), 5 (44-21), 7 (49-25) and 9 (41-3). Average margin of victory for the 12 games was an insane 38.5 pts. LSU was one score from losing to both Auburn and Bama. NU's closest game in 95 was 35-21 against Washington State.
Alabama has averaged 9 players selected per NFL draft from 2014-2019, with an average of 2.3 1st rounders per draft over that period. I bet they have at least 6 drafted in the next draft.

In the 1996 Draft, Colorado had 5 selections (none higher than the 4th round). Kansas had 1 selection (in 3rd round). K-State had 2 selections (2nd and 4th rounds). Florida had 6 selections (none higher than the 3rd round).

I'm not sure how you can square criticizing LSU for beating Alabama by only one score (in Tuscaloosa, no less) when Alabama was clearly, based on recent trends, a much more talented football team that the 1995 Buffaloes, Jayhawks, Wildcats, or Gators. 1995 Washington State was also 3-8.

And, as I said on another thread, the winning % of LSU's opponents combined was .600. For the 1995 Huskers, it was .539.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
And, as I said on another thread, the winning % of LSU's opponents combined was .600. For the 1995 Huskers, it was .539.

That is because they had to play a CCG and they had a playoff game to play in..

Math isn’t that tough comparing 15 games to 12...

Cannot compare drafts to determine talent levels as only Seniors were drafted in 1995. So that has to be thrown out.

Reactions: scarletred
Still had to beat them, though...didn't they.
Have you ever had anything positive to say about the Huskers. If my memory is correct awhile back a thread was going and you were being called out as a troll. If this was not you my apologies. But in no way are you a fan if now you are even down playing the championship years.

I have not seen one single post of yours that even remotely show support for the program so you have to be a troll. Get out with your nonsense.

Have you ever had anything positive to say about the Huskers. If my memory is correct awhile back a thread was going and you were being called out as a troll. If this was not you my apologies. But in no way are you a fan if now you are even down playing the championship years.

I have not seen one single post of yours that even remotely show support for the program so you have to be a troll. Get out with your nonsense.

The majority of us are on too him...Welcome aboard.;)

Reactions: Hastings4Huskers
I would say the 1971 Nebraska team is the greatest ever. Would they compete in this era? No. The greatest baseball player? Babe Ruth. Would he be as dominant in this era? No. LSU deserves to be in the discussion. No doubt. But you can't say they are the greatest just because they are a modern team. You cant look at it this way when picking the GOAT. 95 Nebraska, 1972 USC, 2004 USC, and 2001 Miami should also be considered. 2019 LSU? Top eight for sure and best team I have seen since that 2004 USC squad.

So, I have to believe that the 1995 team will forever be the best in order to be a true fan? Good to know.

Yes...that was me on the other thread that was "called out". Here's what an impartial observer had to say about me:

"Either @Nebraska_Reality (quite by accident) exposed a large number of the posters in this thread as unhinged psycho fans by merely advocating for a rational, healthy relationship with college football and you attacked him for not drinking enough kool aid to satisfy you...

Or...

He trolled the balls off of all of you in a truly remarkable way.

It’s one thing to come out and troll people with some nonsense hot take. It’s a totally different level to be able to troll people by saying something completely reasonable like “don’t let 18-23 year olds playing a game ruin your life when they aren’t good.” If you took that comment and went crazy over it, you’re getting trolled on a professional level. He baited you into publicly taking offense at the very idea that you shouldn’t let the points these boys score and give up would make you happy or sad for days and weeks at a time."

A little later on, he had this to say:

"He might be a troll, and my post was an appreciation of that fact. Not because most internet trolls are any good, but because if he is... my god, he’s one of the best I’ve ever seen on the Rivals network.

He’s gone way beyond being an assh01e to get a rise out of you. He’s manipulated you in such a way that now HE is the one saying reasonable things and YOU are responding like an anus.

I’m obviously missing a lot of context, but good grief... you’re either playing into the hands of a master troll by being triggered by everything he says no matter what, or you’re actually the jerks around here. There’s not a third option I can see.

As for what true fan just posts negative thoughts... I’m sure there are plenty of fans on this board who have been overwhelmingly negative over the past several years. The circumstances surrounding your program would make negativity a certainty. But it’s Nebraska Reality’s apathy that bothers you, and it’s likely because on some level you envy him for it. The ability to not let your team hurt you over and over again is appealing."

Sorry for the length, but I though he summed it up perfectly. You're obviously free to reach your own conclusion. What I will say, though, is that you will notice that I don't, in general, launch insults or name-call people on here.

Cannot compare drafts to determine talent levels as only Seniors were drafted in 1995. So that has to be thrown out.
That is false.

I can name one junior right off the top of my head from a team in 1994 that declared and was drafted in 1995...a year before the 1996 draft (when players on 1995 teams would have been drafted).

I think Nebraska had a more dominant season, however, LSU had a more difficult path

it is simply harder to go 15-0 than 12-0 - particularly when 2 of the 3 extra games are against national championship caliber teams

Last edited:
That is false.

I can name one junior right off the top of my head from a team in 1994 that declared and was drafted in 1995...a year before the 1996 draft (when players on 1995 teams would have been drafted).
kinda yes and no.

I believe at that time you could go pro if you had your degree ala Bernie Kosar.

That is false.

Yeah. I think it started in 1990. Herschel Walker went to the USFL years earlier because that league allowed it. Johnny Mitchell was our first player to leave early in 1992, after his Redshirt sophomore year.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
I think Nebraska had a more dominant season, however, LSU had a more difficult path

it is simply harder to go 15-0 than 12-0 - particularly when 2 of the 3 extra games are against national championship caliber teams

Very well put... I can see both great achievements from both teams which I have over and over in this thread..

1971 team doesn’t get enough credit because 3 of the 4 teams came from the Big 8 which back on the day was the best football conference..

Reactions: jlb321
kinda yes and no.

I believe at that time you could go pro if you had your degree ala Bernie Kosar.
There were 25 juniors that declared for the 1996 NFL draft. Lawrence Phillips was one of them. Based on these two links, it looks like the rules were the same in 1996 as they are now:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/

"To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season. Underclassmen and players who have graduated before using all their college eligibility may request the league’s approval to enter the draft early."

https://www.infoplease.com/sports/1995-96-season/underclassmen-who-declared-1996-nfl-draft

Reactions: Chuck003

We would have played Northwestern in the semis. 45-10 easy

So, I have to believe that the 1995 team will forever be the best in order to be a true fan? Good to know.

Yes...that was me on the other thread that was "called out". Here's what an impartial observer had to say about me:

"Either @Nebraska_Reality (quite by accident) exposed a large number of the posters in this thread as unhinged psycho fans by merely advocating for a rational, healthy relationship with college football and you attacked him for not drinking enough kool aid to satisfy you...

Or...

He trolled the balls off of all of you in a truly remarkable way.

It’s one thing to come out and troll people with some nonsense hot take. It’s a totally different level to be able to troll people by saying something completely reasonable like “don’t let 18-23 year olds playing a game ruin your life when they aren’t good.” If you took that comment and went crazy over it, you’re getting trolled on a professional level. He baited you into publicly taking offense at the very idea that you shouldn’t let the points these boys score and give up would make you happy or sad for days and weeks at a time."

A little later on, he had this to say:

"He might be a troll, and my post was an appreciation of that fact. Not because most internet trolls are any good, but because if he is... my god, he’s one of the best I’ve ever seen on the Rivals network.

He’s gone way beyond being an assh01e to get a rise out of you. He’s manipulated you in such a way that now HE is the one saying reasonable things and YOU are responding like an anus.

I’m obviously missing a lot of context, but good grief... you’re either playing into the hands of a master troll by being triggered by everything he says no matter what, or you’re actually the jerks around here. There’s not a third option I can see.

As for what true fan just posts negative thoughts... I’m sure there are plenty of fans on this board who have been overwhelmingly negative over the past several years. The circumstances surrounding your program would make negativity a certainty. But it’s Nebraska Reality’s apathy that bothers you, and it’s likely because on some level you envy him for it. The ability to not let your team hurt you over and over again is appealing."

Sorry for the length, but I though he summed it up perfectly. You're obviously free to reach your own conclusion. What I will say, though, is that you will notice that I don't, in general, launch insults or name-call people on here.

Troll

We would have played Northwestern in the semis. 45-10 easy

it doesn't matter - 3 extra games are 3 extra chances for a loss - it's math

if you have a 99% chance of winning each individual game you play, the probability of going:
12-0 is 88.6%
15-0 is 86%

lets say in 1995 Nebraska chances of beating Florida were 80% - in a one game scenario the chances of winning is obviously 80%

the probability of winning both games where you might have an 80% probability of winning each is only 64%

going 1-0 against a top 5 team is much easier than going 2-0 (playoffs)

Reactions: Yossarian23
it doesn't matter - 3 extra games are 3 extra chances for a loss - it's math

if you have a 99% chance of winning each individual game you play, the probability of going:
12-0 is 88.6%
15-0 is 86%

lets say in 1995 Nebraska chances of beating Florida were 80% - in a one game scenario the chances of winning is obviously 80%

the probability of winning both games where you might have an 80% probability of winning each is only 64%

going 1-0 against a top 5 team is much easier than going 2-0 (playoffs)

Noone was beating 95 Nebraska on the field that season. Bowden was even scared of playing them because he thought it would be FSU in the Fiesta.

IMO, you change the rules it's a different game, some of these prissy pants couldn't have played 4 series back in the 80's and such.......go ahead check the tape.
With the current rules all teams playing in the 90's would be at a disadvantage. Tough to compare decade to decade. I do believe today's athletes are better than the 90's

Noone was beating 95 Nebraska on the field that season. Bowden was even scared of playing them because he thought it would be FSU in the Fiesta.

no one is claiming Nebraska would lose

you are arguing against math
15-0 is more difficult than 12-0

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
no one is claiming Nebraska would lose

you are arguing against math
15-0 is more difficult than 12-0

You're arguing against what was seen that year. Nebraska wasn't losing that season. To anyone. They could have played 20. They were that dominant

He is a troll, and he's been bounced off this board before under another name, and it wasn't hard to see as his new name substance is exactly like his old name substance.

Are you Listening to reality Nebraska Reality...
Here's some reality for you.....

1996 NFL Draft:
1st round selections from Nebraska- 1 (Lawrence Phillips)
1st round selections from ranked opponents- 0

2020 NFL Draft Projections:
1st round selections from LSU- 4
1st round selections from ranked opponents- 13

Last edited:
He is a troll, and he's been bounced off this board before under another name, and it wasn't hard to see as his new name substance is exactly like his old name substance.
Let's see here....

1) I am allegedly a fan of Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, and/or Wisconsin. Interesting that I am somehow a fan of 3 teams that are rivals of one another....but I only post on this board.

2) I posted under other names, as a fan of another school, and have been bounced off here several other times.

3) Aside from being Nebraska_Reality, I am also anywhere from 2 to 5 other current posters on here.

There have been more theories spun on here about me than there was about the JFK assassination.

If I'm a troll, then I'm a pretty good one.

You, scarletred, and several others need to make up your minds....unless you really think I'm 1, 2, and 3 all at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT