ADVERTISEMENT

Column on the front page of OWH this morning

Beating the 2,4,6,7 and 8 teams in the top 10 and beating them all but one soundly would get my vote...

Only Auburn and Alabama back to back were close games 23-20 and 46-41...

Can’t be the best ever.... they don’t play in Nebraska... they use LSU and not UNL.... and they’re the tigers, not the Huskers.... no further debate needed ;)

Ok but seriously I’d say they could make a pretty good debate, as the poster before said look at who they beat and how they beat them... the best some pretty darn good teams and didn’t leave much doubt... very good team with a lot of talent in it

Gives an argument for this LSU team being the best ever. What'cha think?
Of course they are. They just took the spot from last year’s champion, who took it from the previous year’s champion who, oddly enough, took it from the previous year’s champion, who just happen to take it from the previous year’s champion.

Reactions: headcard
Of course they are. They just took the spot from last year’s champion, who took it from the previous year’s champion who, oddly enough, took it from the previous year’s champion, who just happen to take it from the previous year’s champion.

We’re discussing best ever and your not...

Yes I am. Every year, this same discussion happens, about the current champion possibly being the best ever. It happens every, single, year.

I disagree anytime a team wins the National title and they have lost they’re not considered in the conversation...

Case and point this was the first SEC team to go 15-0 and win the National title..

I don’t remember Clemson last year beating all these top 10 teams and being called the best team ever..

The 95 Huskers also beat quite a few top 10 teams, and we dominated them, not many close games to be seen that year. A little research would provide an answer.

I think people today see oh, they beat K state. Well today KSU is an avg program so not a big win. Well in 95 KSU was a tough out.

Reactions: Clemke32
The 95 Huskers also beat quite a few top 10 teams, and we dominated them, not many close games to be seen that year. A little research would provide an answer.

I think people today see oh, they beat K state. Well today KSU is an avg program so not a big win. Well in 95 KSU was a tough out.

They beat 4 teams in the top 10, 2,5,7 and 9 closest game was Washington St 35-21 and I believe Washington St scored near the end of the game..

Why does someone always try to claim the most recent National Champion as the greatest ever?

This was a great LSU team, but 95' Nebraska's statistical dominance was staggering. Outscored opponents 53.2 to 14.5. Beat 4 Top 10 teams by and average of 30.75 ppg. Averaged 400 yards rushing per game while only giving up 78. Gave up zero sacks all season, and on and on.

Why does someone always try to claim the most recent National Champion as the greatest ever?

This was a great LSU team, but 95' Nebraska's statistical dominance was staggering. Outscored opponents 53.2 to 14.5. Beat 4 Top 10 teams by and average of 30.75 ppg. Averaged 400 yards rushing per game while only giving up 78. Gave up zero sacks all season, and on and on.
Thank you. Everyone has a new girlfriend hard on for LSU this morning. RollingLaugh

So, so spot on. I realize this "best ever" debate is one that we Nebraskans hold near and dear, but it is nothing but clickbait at its finest. I think its taught at journalism school: "lesson one: post story asking whether team X is best ever, get 150,000 clicks from Nebraska fans".

Only Lincoln100 has made that statement...I don’t remember every Bama team called the greatest ever when they had a 1 on the left side of their column.Winking

On ESPN they brought up best team ever and if they were better than the 2001 Miami team..

Beating 5 teams in the top 8 makes it’s case that you can’t deny..

They beat 4 teams in the top 10, 2,5,7 and 9 closest game was Washington St 35-21 and I believe Washington St scored near the end of the game..

And? 1995 Nebraska also beat 4 teams in the top 10. 2 7 8 and 10. Closest game was 44-21 against Colorado in Boulder. Colorado didn't score at the end of the game because Nebraska's backups wouldn't let them.

Also, 1971 Nebraska beat the teams that finished #2 #3 and #4 by a combined score of 104-44. Beating top ranked teams soundly matters, but if it was THAT important 1971 Nebraska would be seen as a better team than 1995 Nebraska, and it's not.

Reactions: WuTang_Husker
And? 1995 Nebraska also beat 4 teams in the top 10. 2 7 8 and 10. Closest game was 44-21 against Colorado in Boulder. Colorado didn't score at the end of the game because Nebraska's backups wouldn't let them.

Also, 1971 Nebraska beat the teams that finished #2 #3 and #4 by a combined score of 104-44. Beating top ranked teams soundly matters, but if it was THAT important 1971 Nebraska would be seen as a better team than 1995 Nebraska, and it's not.

You have a few facts wrong in your post and your not telling me nothing I already don’t know...

And some including myself feel the 71 team was Nebraska best season..

IMO, you change the rules it's a different game, some of these prissy pants couldn't have played 4 series back in the 80's and such.......go ahead check the tape.

I think it's possible, but who knows? It's foolish to try to compare teams across eras. LSU certainly did well against the teams it played. So did 2001 Miami and 1995 Nebraska, among others. All the keyboard-barf the World-Herald can chunk up isn't going to change that.

doesn't prove who is better, but it is significantly more difficult to win a national title today than it was in the past

LSU had to win an additional 2 games against top 5 opponents at the end of their regular season as opposed to national champions prior to conf championship games and the playoff

Last edited:
Now I want to see how the 95 Husker teams opponents faired in their bowl games and how they finished their seasons out. Of course we see how LSUs opponents did, now let’s see how the 95 Husker opponents did at seasons end?

now I don’t want to hear about the playoffs and the extra games played. You can not count that against the older teams. It’s not their fault they didn’t have the playoffs then. And IF they did, we all know the 95 Husker team would have beaten the 4th ranked team they’d play in the first round and of course won their last game in the National Title game. That’s just 2 extra Top 10 teams LSU faced and the 95 Husker team did get the same opportunity. That would give the 95 Husker team an extra Top 10 win not previously mentioned.

Last edited:
Now I want to see how the 95 Husker teams opponents faired in their bowl games and how they finished their seasons out. Of course we see how LSUs opponents did, now let’s see how the 95 Husker opponents did at seasons end?

now I don’t want to hear about the playoffs and the extra games played. You can not count that against the older teams. It’s not their fault they didn’t have the playoffs then. And IF they did, we all know the 95 Husker team would have beaten the 4th ranked team they’d play in the first round and of course won their last game in the National Title game. That’s just 2 extra Top 10 teams LSU faced and the 95 Husker team did get the same opportunity. That would give the 95 Husker team an extra Top 10 win not previously mentioned.

Very true that is why both had teams they beat were in the top 10 because they won their bowl game except for Oklahoma who ended up 7th at 12-2..

Don’t understand why people just don’t judge the teams they player who they beat and by how much...

It’s not all about 2019 LSU lining up against the 1971 Nebraska team it’s about what they accomplished during the season who they beat and how good those teams were and by how much..

They deserve to be in the conversation and if you go by stats, I don't know how you say Burrow didn't just turn in the best single season of college QB play ever.

His numbers were unreal and then some. Not only did he break Colt Brennan's TD record, he did it while throwing only 6 INT all year. Oh and he did it playing in the SEC instead of the WAC, and against playoff competition. That's insane. I don't know if I have ever seen a college QB playing at a higher level than what I saw from him in these playoff games.

Last edited:
They deserve to be in the conversation and if you go by stats, I don't know how you say Burrow didn't just turn in the best single season of college QB play ever.

His numbers were unreal and then some. Not only did he break Colt Brennan's TD record, he did it while throwing only 6 INT all year. That's insane. I don't know if I have ever seen a college QB playing at a higher level than what I saw from him in these playoff games.

no doubt, LSU and Joe Burrow did great. LSU did everything they had to and beat everyone put in front of them. But we have seen this every time a new National Title winner comes along (USC, Texas that one year with Vince Young, Bama, Clemson and now LSU). The media and those guys are trying so hard to unseat the 95 Huskers they are quick to name the newest National Title winner the next and newest Best Team Ever. LSU deserves their mention but so does the 95 Huskers.

no doubt, LSU and Joe Burrow did great. LSU did everything they had to and beat everyone put in front of them. But we have seen this every time a new National Title winner comes along (USC, Texas that one year with Vince Young, Bama, Clemson and now LSU). The media and those guys are trying so hard to unseat the 95 Huskers they are quick to name the newest National Title winner the next and newest Best Team Ever. LSU deserves their mention but so does the 95 Huskers.

And so does the 71 Huskers..

Not according to a few on here. Some say 95 NU would get waxed by 30 or 45 points by almighty LSU. My guess is these select few have been watching football for a year or two.:rolleyes:
I think burrow is a bit better then the gators qb was, but the 95 Huskers were a machine

doesn't prove who is better, but it is significantly more difficult to win a national title today than it was in the past

LSU had to win an additional 2 games against top 5 opponents at the end of their regular season as opposed to national champions prior to conf championship games and the playoff
I would say it is much harder to run the table, but it is probably easier to win a National Championship, because you now get a free loss. Look at all the one loss champions since moving to the playoffs. Urban and Saban both have National Championships they wouldn’t have even got to play for in the past. Nebraska would have loved one of those in 82 or 99.

Reactions: jlb321
I would say it is much harder to run the table, but it is probably easier to win a National Championship, because you now get a free loss. Look at all the one loss champions since moving to the playoffs. Urban and Saban both have National Championships they wouldn’t have even got to play for in the past. Nebraska would have loved one of those in 82 or 99.

Good point

And so does the 71 Huskers..

Damn straight. Being the old geezer I am for some reason I still remember the 70 & 71 Huskers quite well. To save my soul I couldn't decide who was better.....the 71 Huskers or the 95 Huskers......"both" were simply awesome!

But if I had to bet....nobody was greater than the Jet. Nobody.

Reactions: scarletred
This is important too when you consider the pressure of winning. In 1995, one loss at any time during the season likely would derail your championship hopes. Sure, one loss teams did sometimes win the national championship back then, but things had to play out just right. As an example look at 1993 Florida State. When they lost to Notre Dame, their championship hopes seemed to be done. They had to rely on Notre Dame unexpectedly getting upset by Boston College for them to be back to playing for the championship. For the most part, you pretty much had to go into every week feeling like you had to win to keep your championship hopes alive.
Now, one loss, especially if it is early in the season is little barrier from getting into the playoff. Even the quality of the team that you lost to seems to matter little. To me, it is a travesty that Georgia almost got into the playoff this year despite losing at home to a bad South Carolina team. And the way things played out this year, LSU knew that they were going to get into the playoff even if they lost in the SEC Championship. The pressure to win every single week just isn't there now when you know you only have to be one of the 4 best teams, and it's unlikely that there will be 4 undefeated teams.

Our secondary that year were the size of linebackers today with speed. Burrow had the best season by a QB ever but he was throwing against 5'8'' corners in the playoffs and not going against a pass rush that would resemble anything McBride would throw at him with what he had in 95. Plus I don't think LSU would have been able to stop our running game. At all. Ole Miss ran for 402 on them. They wouldn't want any.

Reactions: bshirt73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT