ADVERTISEMENT

Collins: Ex-coach contact positive, overblown by ex-Huskers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocker_Fan

Walk On
Apr 25, 2006
Nebraska captain Maliek Collins on Monday night quickly shut down any notion that ex-defensive line coach Rick Kaczenski has been giving current Husker players negative messages during a rough 2-4 start.

"Just for the record, he wouldn't say anything like that," Collins said. "I'm a captain, if he were saying those types of things, he'd be saying them to me and that ain't what I represent. Just for the record: He hasn't said anything like that."

When Collins was told that a few ex-players — including Jason Peter and Adam Carriker — insinuated Kaczenski was trying to negatively influence the players, Collins said "it's just something else to distract us, man."

"We're trying to stay on a straight and narrow road and trying to win some games," Collins said.

Collins said he still maintains a positive relationship with Kaczenski.

"I respect the hell out of the man," Collins said. Collins declined comment when asked for his opinion of former players critiquing his relationship with Kaczenski.

In a conversation with the World-Herald on Sunday night, Kaczenski — who coached Nebraska's line from 2012 to 2014 — confirmed he'd been in contact with some of his ex-players, but that the contact was "all positive." Kaczenski, who moved out of Nebraska in August, now lives near South Bend, Indiana — home of his alma mater, Notre Dame — and attends Fighting Irish games.

Last week, coach Mike Riley shrugged off concerns about ex-coaches contacting players. Monday, defensive line coach Hank Hughes said any contact from ex-coaches has "zero to do with anything." Hughes says he keeps in touch with former players he coached, as well, although not those currently in school, because he's coaching at a different college.

"I'd pick up the phone and call them in heartbeat but it can be construed that you're tampering with a guy," Hughes said.

But Kaczenski, fired along with the rest of coach Bo Pelini's remaining staff after the Holiday Bowl, is not in coaching this season.

I think Collins sounds pretty good in all this. Good for him.
He's been playing well. I think Riley has done a good job of taking the high road in regards to the former coaching staff. IMO, psychologically our team is not in a good spot and part of that is the way Bo and his staff left town. At least when Callahan left town he had the decency to do so without taking shots at the fans and administration.

Collins must be lying because if he's not it destroys a whole bunch of posting certitude around here.

In all this I think Jason Peter spoutin off at the mouth (like he always does) made himself look foolish. People need to get their facts before they go making accusations...real bad look for Jason.

Too much smoke to be nothing. Bear in mind, maybe it WAS all positive for Maliek. He doesn't have to lie to defuse.

Any way you slice it, this is the stuff that gets way too far up the ass of the program for me. Grown men everywhere speculating about who did or didn't say what go who in a text like we're a bunch of 16 year old girls.

So is Adam Carriker and Jay Foreman wrong as well?

Yea. Heres what I think happened, Kaz is contacting guys. Guys know the old staff left on bad terms. Guys know some of those coaches have tempers. Kaz has a bad history. Assumption immediately goes to trashing the program. Not saying I dont understand where they assumed that, but as a media member you better have proof of some sort it was negative

In all this I think Jason Peter spoutin off at the mouth (like he always does) made himself look foolish. People need to get their facts before they go making accusations...real bad look for Jason.

I'll listen to Jason Peter before I will a guy who was directly involved in the most embarrassing day our program's defense has ever seen.

Reactions: St. Anger
And you wonder why players aren't always lovey dovey with fans? The guy who has had the direct contact...and I'm sure has spoken with others who had contact...comes out publicly and says what happened only to have fans say, "Nope...I heard from a guy on the radio who used to play there decades ago who heard it from another former player who heard it from a current player who heard it from the player who was contacted that you're lying!"

Now who seems more logical...Jason Peter or Maliek Collins?

P.S. Remember that in Peter's rant he saw nothing wrong with former coaches contacting players. He insinuated that it was a natural course of events. His negative slant came from fourth or fifth hand information.

And you wonder why players aren't always lovey dovey with fans? The guy who has had the direct contact...and I'm sure has spoken with others who had contact...comes out publicly and says what happened only to have fans say, "Nope...I heard from a guy on the radio who used to play there decades ago who heard it from another former player who heard it from a current player who heard it from the player who was contacted that you're lying!"

P.S. Remember that in Peter's rant he saw nothing wrong with former coaches contacting players. He insinuated that it was a natural course of events. He just went off on fourth or fifth hand information.
You have no idea, except a troll agenda. Stop pretending you do.

I'll listen to Jason Peter before I will a guy who was directly involved in the most embarrassing day our program's defense has ever seen.

Jason Peter has always been a giant tool and every time he speaks its only in a negative light about the state of the program. He dominated in his day, but has done nothing to be supportive of current players. Carriker and Foreman on the other hand I respect wholeheartedly.

Yea. Heres what I think happened, Kaz is contacting guys. Guys know the old staff left on bad terms. Guys know some of those coaches have tempers. Kaz has a bad history. Assumption immediately goes to trashing the program. Not saying I dont understand where they assumed that, but as a media member you better have proof of some sort it was negative
This article is the epitome of lazy, crap ass journalism. The writer accepts everything a known lunatic spews on radio, reports it as fact, and then comes to strong conclusions.

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...ch-tampering-current-players-minds-identified

I have the person in question telling the story. Are you so anti-player that you are saying Collins is full of crap?
Nope. I said Maliek looks good in this. Are you calling Foreman and Carriker liars? Why do you hate our former players so much?

Nope. I said Maliek looks good in this. Are you calling Foreman and Carriker liars? Why do you hate our former players so much?
Because they didn't get the phone calls...Collins did. So yeah...I'm trusting the guy who actually put the phone to his ear and talked to the person on the other end of the line.

Because they didn't get the phone calls...Collins did. So yeah...I'm trusting the guy who actually put the phone to his ear and talked to the person on the other end of the line.
This is not about phone calls, preacher man. I find it very telling you trust the word of a wife-beater over that of respected former players. Always the antagonist troll.

P.S. Remember that in Peter's rant he saw nothing wrong with former coaches contacting players. He insinuated that it was a natural course of events. His negative slant came from fourth or fifth hand information.

Or maybe....just maybe...most people don't really give a crap, and just want Kaz to stay the hell away from our players.

But maybe you are right. Maybe Kaz, with his volatile history, has instead taken lemons...made lemonade...and turned over a new leaf and has been listening to Zig Zigler and Leo Buscaglia books on tape, and is only a phone call away to share stories of gum drop lakes, peppermint skies, and majestic mountains where birds soar and drop Starburst out of their asses. Yeah, that's probably what happened..

This is not about phone calls, preacher man. I find it very telling you trust the word of a wife-beater over that of respected former players. Always the antagonist troll.
I trust the word of a wife beater? I didn't know Collins was married. When did he get arrested?

Reactions: puddinhead0404
I trust the word of a wife beater? I didn't know Collins was married. When did he get arrested?
Lol. You are the biggest troll in history. Read the article preacher-man. Try and educate yourself.

I see nothing wrong with former coaches talking to our current players. They were like father figures to these men. And the D-Line has actually been playing pretty well, so I'm not sure how you can blame Coach Kaz for anything. He didn't coach the DBs and the offense, which is where most of our recent struggles have been.

Lol. You are the biggest troll in history. Read the article preacher-man. Try and educate yourself.
Seriously...stop with the attack on Collins. He doesn't deserve to be berated by you.

He was referring to Kaz, you know the guy arrested for beating his wife. It's pretty obvious who he was referring to unless, of course, you're trying to stir the pot.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with former coaches talking to our current players. They were like father figures to these men. And the D-Line has actually been playing pretty well, so I'm not sure how you can blame Coach Kaz for anything. He didn't coach the DBs and the offense, which is where most of our recent struggles have been.

Yes, but he was coaching our DLine when they were spinning in circles as Melvin Gordon was taking yet another one to the house.

I am talking about Kaz, and your pathetic bullshit spin is laughable.
Repetitive trolling. Pretty pathetic for the lying preacher who whines about board rules every time he looks stupid.

I would almost always agree with you, and even sort of do in this instance, but a guy that has shown the level of anger and vitriol that Kaz has worries me hanging around our players.

Our DLine looks great at stopping the run. I am very pleased with what they are doing this year. If they could get more of a pass rush, I would be that much more pleased. I'm not sure I want a guy that isn't coaching here any longer to potentially mess with that progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT