ADVERTISEMENT

Coastal Carolina

The quarterbacks in the NFL that matter are Mahomes, Brady, and Rodgers. I'll include Stafford. They're all pocket passers. Mahomes and Rodgers take off a little bit, but their coaches sure as hell don't like it. I would have Lamar Jackson as my quarterback if I did not want to win a title.
speaking of Mahomes, Brady
mahomes is a real good qb, not taking anything from him, but I don't think he will match what brady has done, because of his style of play. just things I see him do things he might not be able to do if 8 years.
but he may change and become a more pure pocket passing qb like brady..

all that running around though don't last real long in the nfl

Frist of all, winning football games at the college level is all I care about. If we average winning 10 games per year, I don't care if a single player gets drafted into the NFL.

I would argue that both Jackson and Mahomes are pocket passers. They are just elite athletes that can also beat you with their legs. That doesn't make them running QBs. Jackson has twice as many fumbles as he does picks in his career. He has 1 interception for every 54 passes and 1 fumble every 14.5 rushes. Now granted, not all of the fumbles are turnovers, but for a guy that runs the ball at least 10 times per game, he is putting the ball on the ground 1.5 times per game. The oblong ball doesn't always bounce the right direction.

It would have zero impact on defensive recruiting so 50% of your theory flies out the window. Back in the day, we put so many linemen and running backs in the NFL that style of offensive play didn't matter. If you aspire to play quarterback at the next level, this probably isn't the place for you.
Well first of all no one was talking about Defense from the get-go… we’re talking about offense. “Back in the day“…. That’s the entire point of what I’m saying, this isn’t back in the day anymore. This is all an exercise in futility anyway we are never going back to the option being our base offense…..ever.

Well first of all no one was talking about Defense from the get-go… we’re talking about offense. “Back in the day“…. That’s the entire point of what I’m saying, this isn’t back in the day anymore. This is all an exercise in futility anyway we are never going back to the option being our base offense…..ever.

Lubick admitted on the radio tonight the option has been the most effective attack since he has been at Nebraska.

Bringing back option concepts to Nebraska would be the smartest thing the school has done in over two decades.

Continuing with this Scott Frost offense would be pure stupidity.

Reactions: BleedRed78
First time caller....how many QB's has nebraska sent to the NFL since Solich? What offenses did we use? How many games did these QB's win? How many RB's were put into the NFL during the same period? How many OL were sent to the NFL during the same period?
We’ve had a decent amount of guys go pro in the modern era. It fell off almost completely with Riley and it bled into Frost first couple years there’s not as much a discrepancy as you would think.

People act like we send people to the NFL with all of this stuff we have tried on offense since Solich. We get about 2 guys to the NFL per year as draft picks for a few years now.

If we go back to a physical brand of football where we focus on rushing the ball, good defense, good special teams, we will send more guys to the NFL then we do with all of this soft ass shit since Solich.

We can send RB's to the NFL. We can send OL to the NFL. We have rarely ever sent QB's and WR's to the NFL.

It's kinda dumb in reality to pretend Nebraska can be a QB and WR NFL factory.
Yeah Nebraska has never sent a ton of QBs and WR to the NFL in any period.

But Callahan, had he had the determination to make Nebraska a great program and got a decent DC, I think could have done this. His recruiting was really good. And I think given more time(if he had a top 10 defense) he could have recruited his way to a fantastic offense, WCO by the way.

The crappy thing was it did seem like a good amount of his points were in garbage time. And because of the defense he had 2 losing seasons in 4 years.

Any offensive scheme works pretty good with a top 10 defense. Heck you can have a no scheme offense like Nebraska seemed to have in 2009 and do pretty well with a number 1 defense.

I prefer a solid heavy rushing game personally though. So long as the mentality is to run through somebody.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Nebraska has never been an offensive skill positions feeder to the NFL. Never will be. TE, OL, RB. That is the recipe. All you need from the QB is to run the offense correctly and not **** up like AM does with his turnovers.

Yeah Nebraska has never sent a ton of QBs and WR to the NFL in any period.

But Callahan, had he had the determination to make Nebraska a great program and got a decent DC, I think could have done this. His recruiting was really good. And I think given more time(if he had a top 10 defense) he could have recruited his way to a fantastic offense, WCO by the way.

The crappy thing was it did seem like a good amount of his points were in garbage time. And because of the defense he had 2 losing seasons in 4 years.

Any offensive scheme works pretty good with a top 10 defense. Heck you can have a no scheme offense like Nebraska seemed to have in 2009 and do pretty well with a number 1 defense.

I prefer a solid heavy rushing game personally though. So long as the mentality is to run through somebody.
callahan is the only one who could pass at NU, but he had ganz, and a balanced attack with porkchop.
the sad thing was I was at the a&m game and we were up 17 I think, and knew we would lose cause of our d under callahan

Reactions: Sinomatic
Manning, Martin and Toure will have a shot to play in the NFL for starters. Vokolek and Allen are drawing lots of interest from NFL scouts. We can recruit WRs to Nebraska. No problem. Stanley Morgan, DPE and Quincy Enunwa all say hello as does Cethan Carter. Yeah Q might be medically retired now but he got a nice contract his last year.
I stopped reading at Vokolek and Allen. Even the 3 receivers are questionable if they will ever play an NFL snap.

Nebraska has never been an offensive skill positions feeder to the NFL. Never will be. TE, OL, RB. That is the recipe. All you need from the QB is to run the offense correctly and not **** up like AM does with his turnovers.
This just in, in the modern NFL, RB and TE are considered skill position players, so 2 of the 3 positions you named are skill positions that apparently Nebraska has never been a feeder to the NFL.

Secondly, the NFL game has changed significantly since 1997. Paul Johnson, who you have written about because of his primo offensive philosophy, had exactly 2 offensive linemen drafted in his 11 year tenure at Ga Tech. The man who ran the option had 2 RBs taken and 0 TE.

So following your recipe of RB, TE and OL, that is 4players (3 positions) drafted from a P5 team that ran your offense of choice. By the way, the same guy had 4 WR selected during that same time frame.

Weird how you can find just about any stat or evidence to back up an opinion.

The quarterbacks in the NFL that matter are Mahomes, Brady, and Rodgers. I'll include Stafford. They're all pocket passers. Mahomes and Rodgers take off a little bit, but their coaches sure as hell don't like it. I would have Lamar Jackson as my quarterback if I did not want to win a title.
You do understand don't you that the percentage of QBs who make it like that in the NFL at that level is miniscule regardless of where they play or what system they play in right? I guess one could argue that OU has a pretty good track record lately but not so much before Lincoln Riley got there. A QB from Delaware seems lately to be just as likely to make it in the NFL as one from some of the schools with a reputation of turning out QBs. The new guard of QBs in the NFL including Mahomes almost all played in spread option offenses in college. Mac Jones is and exception. Last night both Daniel Jones and Taylor Heinicke both ran zone read options. It's just where the college game has gone. People saying we should go back to "Tom's option attack" don't seem to remember that Tom said that IF he had continued to coach he was likely going to morph his offense in to something similar to what Urban was doing (spread option).

I stopped reading at Vokolek and Allen. Even the 3 receivers are questionable if they will ever play an NFL snap.
We had multiple NFL scouts at fall camp watching Vokolek and Allen according to a former Husker who was there but you do you. All 3 of the WRs have the potential to be drafted eventually. They have the measurables and hands. Toure is virtually a lock. I'm sure they were watching Toure as well.

Last edited:
And Tom said about 15 years ago if he had continued to coach he would have likely morphed his offense in to the spread/zone read style that had become so popular. Even TOM saw the potential. The spread RPO stuff causes so many headaches for DCs.

Damn near any available coaches scheme would be better than an option based scheme. There’s a reason why you don’t see power five programs running that offense. It’s A scheme designed to outmaneuver opponents even if they are bigger faster and stronger than you. That’s why the majority of programs that based their identity around it are military schools. Again I’m not saying we wouldn’t have our years once in a while with that offense but we absolutely would be sealing our identity as “we know we’re not as good as you but dammit we’re going to out scheme you once in a while.” I don’t want that for us.
You summarized the situation perfectly but I disagree with your opinion on it. That *is* what Nebraska needs to do. It’s what we did in the 90s too.

We will never out-recruit Ohio State and Michigan unless somehow the Omaha and Lincoln high schools blossom into great recruiting beds. Obviously we’ll still need to recruit better than teams like Wisconsin and Iowa, but we already do that.

The alternative to running a quirky scheme is to line up against the best teams at a severe disadvantage with no way around it. If we want to be Iowa, or Wisconsin at best, then that’s what we should do.

If we want a chance at catching lightning in a bottle and winning a couple playoff games against Ohio State and Bama, the only way is to discover the 2020s version of a quirky scheme.

Reactions: BleedRed78
We were talking about recruiting rankings, so it matters.

If you had told me in 1997 that one day we'd run a WCO, I would have fallen down laughing. Never say never. We need to play to our recruiting strengths and capabilities like Wisconsin does. So unless we get a coach like Lincoln Riley that can bring in a long line of future NFL starting QBs, I'm open to us having an offense that does not live and die by a top shelf passer.

Reactions: Sinomatic and WHCSC
We were talking about recruiting rankings, so it matters.

If you had told me in 1997 that one day we'd run a WCO, I would have fallen down laughing. Never say never. We need to play to our recruiting strengths and capabilities like Wisconsin does. So unless we get a coach like Lincoln Riley that can bring in a long line of future NFL starting QBs, I'm open to us having an offense that does not live and die by a top shelf passer.
We were running WCO concepts when Tom was Devaney's OC. Tom played in the WCO as a pro receiver. It doesn't take an NFL all pro QB to run the WCO in college.

You summarized the situation perfectly but I disagree with your opinion on it. That *is* what Nebraska needs to do. It’s what we did in the 90s too.

We will never out-recruit Ohio State and Michigan unless somehow the Omaha and Lincoln high schools blossom into great recruiting beds. Obviously we’ll still need to recruit better than teams like Wisconsin and Iowa, but we already do that.

The alternative to running a quirky scheme is to line up against the best teams at a severe disadvantage with no way around it. If we want to be Iowa, or Wisconsin at best, then that’s what we should do.

If we want a chance at catching lightning in a bottle and winning a couple playoff games against Ohio State and Bama, the only way is to discover the 2020s version of a quirky scheme.
I appreciate what you’re saying I just refuse to believe that’s the solution. I’m not against being known for having tons of creative wrinkles but I cringe at us putting that stamp on ourselves of we just out clever teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT