ADVERTISEMENT

Coastal Carolina

They don't run that many different plays. It's rare when there isn't an option concept or an RPO being ran.

You could easily incorporate a FB scheme in this offense.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Sure do miss the Schlesinger, Makovicka, Janovich types.
Fullbacks with neck rolls should be a fixture in the Cornhusker backfield.
as long a we run a left coast offense, minus a joe montana..everything should be great.
for the opposition.:eek:
it makes these buffalo type games more exciting...

Reactions: Sinomatic
Sure do miss the Schlesinger, Makovicka, Janovich types.
Fullbacks with neck rolls should be a fixture in the Cornhusker backfield.

Outside of Janovich, you miss those guys because we won. We won a shit ton.

Adding a FB isn't changing our trajectory as a program in any shape or form.

Even Nick Saban at Alabama went away from a run based offense in order to win more Championships. You don't win at the highest of levels in college football these days running the football 75%+ of the time with a FB and 2 TEs, Sure, Wisconsin and Iowa are greatly successful in our division, but they never win shit worth winning.

You need to be able to run, but your offense needs to be balanced.

A lot of Alabama’s success is they start with top athletes ans make them bigger, stronger, and faster than most everyone else. Like we used to do. THAT is what people are missing, not the triple option. They just correlate the two.

You need to be able to run, but your offense needs to be balanced.

A lot of Alabama’s success is they start with top athletes ans make them bigger, stronger, and faster than most everyone else. Like we used to do. THAT is what people are missing, not the triple option. They just correlate the two.
Yep.

Bama could run the triple option and still win BUT the games would be closer and other teams would have a much better chance to pull off an upset.

Even Nick Saban at Alabama went away from a run based offense in order to win more Championships. You don't win at the highest of levels in college football these days running the football 75%+ of the time with a FB and 2 TEs, Sure, Wisconsin and Iowa are greatly successful in our division, but they never win shit worth winning.
This is it, exactly.

Iowa is lame BUT they are going to run the ball, take forever to call plays and let you let you dink and dunk down the field. The recipe will/can get you those magical iowa seasons of 7 or 8 wins. But it also helps set them up play in close games and lose games they probably should not.

Alabama advertises itself as the gateway to the NFL. All incoming players are suited to that skillset. Best of the best.

That's not us. I sorta liked how other teams hated our style of play as unconventional while we kicked their teeth in. And we still managed to put quite a few into the pros.

Alabama can easily recruit the talent to run they offense that they run. Any offense looks good with 5-star talent.

Frost clearly cannot recruit the talent here that he needs to run his offense at a high level.

We need to run a system that we can recruit to. At UCF, it was easy to recruit more speed than the other teams in your league, like East Carolina and UConn and Navy, because you have a plethora of talent in your backyard.

At Nebraska, you're never going to be able to consistently recruit the number of good skill position players needed to run a UCF offense.

I understand where some of your guys’ heads are at but us instituting an offense like this is succumbing to the notion that we will never be able to go toe to toe talent wise in the Big10. We will always just have to out corky scheme teams. I don’t buy it that we can’t get good talent to Lincoln anymore. We have to get better in all facets and I agree that maybe that means we move on from Frost but these people that want us to go back to an option offense just clearly don’t know much about modern football.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
I understand where some of your guys’ heads are at but us instituting an offense like this is succumbing to the notion that we will never be able to go toe to toe talent wise in the Big10. We will always just have to out corky scheme teams. I don’t buy it that we can’t get good talent to Lincoln anymore. We have to get better in all facets and I agree that maybe that means we move on from Frost but these people that want us to go back to an option offense just clearly don’t know much about modern football.
What coach runs what you believe to be the best scheme, that is or might be available if Frost were to move on?

What coach runs what you believe to be the best scheme, that is or might be available if Frost were to move on?
Damn near any available coaches scheme would be better than an option based scheme. There’s a reason why you don’t see power five programs running that offense. It’s A scheme designed to outmaneuver opponents even if they are bigger faster and stronger than you. That’s why the majority of programs that based their identity around it are military schools. Again I’m not saying we wouldn’t have our years once in a while with that offense but we absolutely would be sealing our identity as “we know we’re not as good as you but dammit we’re going to out scheme you once in a while.” I don’t want that for us.

Damn near any available coaches scheme would be better than an option based scheme. There’s a reason why you don’t see power five programs running that offense. It’s A scheme designed to outmaneuver opponents even if they are bigger faster and stronger than you. That’s why the majority of programs that based their identity around it are military schools. Again I’m not saying we wouldn’t have our years once in a while with that offense but we absolutely would be sealing our identity as “we know we’re not as good as you but dammit we’re going to out scheme you once in a while.” I don’t want that for us.

Ok, so Scott Frost. What damn good coach he is since he doesn't run the option. Where can we hire him from?

How many times has our offense out-schemed a superior opponent in the last 20 years? We haven't had a good offense since 2007, and even that offense struggled against good teams. Every non-option offense we've ran the last 20 years has been a failure.

Reactions: antirowboat
So what you're saying is there are no really clear winners out there that Nebraska could pick up?

From what I've seen the last 8 years Nebraska hasn't been as good as the competition. So I guess I wouldn't mind a scheme that does even out the playing field.

Infact because it tends to even it out, I think that due to our avg talent level being greater than those in the B1G west, it might result in more appearances in the CCG. Success breeding more success resulting in better recruiting. Better and better players playing to a scheme that shifts numbers in the offenses favor and a system that is not easily prepared for due to its rarity.

And in any case I'm pretty sure running a heavy option based offense wouldn't preclude the coach from borrowing from those other offenses as well.

Okay, if you're ok with going the Freeze or Briles route...

Reactions: Sinomatic
People always say that an option based offense can't work in "modern" football. Explain why and please don't come with the argument that everyone is way faster on defense now. There isn't any evidence to support that humans have evolved into a faster species the last twenty years and even if that were true the offensive players would also be faster.

The option can work. You just have to make sure you incorporate enough passing concepts to keep the defense honest.

Frost, if he was running the option out of his offense as the base run game, he would have a winning record instead of a losing record. The rare option calls he has made while at Nebraska have been very successful.

With how soft most of the schools are in college football these days for their offensive schemes, defenses are not used to a physical attack.

People always say that an option based offense can't work in "modern" football. Explain why and please don't come with the argument that everyone is way faster on defense now. There isn't any evidence to support that humans have evolved into a faster species the last twenty years and even if that were true the offensive players would also be faster.
Prove that it can work in modern football. Please don’t come at with me that Coastal Carolina and Army run it.

Chicago just ran an option play for a touchdown. Weird how it works.
Jesus Christ. It’s a play that the Rams didn’t plan on in the first week of the season. Next week, when Fields comes in with the ball inside the 5, he will get lit the **** up. But I’m sure the Bears are going to bench Dalton so Fields can run the option as their base offense.

more foolishness.

Prove that it can work in modern football. Please don’t come at with me that Coastal Carolina and Army run it.
My proof is that why were highly successful running it before and what's changed since then. Also watching those teams have success running it is evidence of it b
The option can work. You just have to make sure you incorporate enough passing concepts to keep the defense honest.

Frost, if he was running the option out of his offense as the base run game, he would have a winning record instead of a losing record. The rare option calls he has made while at Nebraska have been very successful.

With how soft most of the schools are in college football these days for their offensive schemes, defenses are not used to a physical attack.
Very true

My proof is that why were highly successful running it before and what's changed since then. Also watching those teams have success running it is evidence of it b

Very true
So the wishbone would work in today's football, because Major Ogilvie was a great fullback for Alabama in the 1970's, or Thomas Lott was a great wishbone QB in the 1970s? Don't forget Ham and Lam Jones for Texas.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Actually there's quite a bit of evidence that that's the case. Just look at the top 10 combine marks for all events all time and you tell me how many of the top ten are pre 2000. But it's more than that. If you run an option based offense then every player you recruit has to fit a very specific mold and it can negatively impact your recruiting in the modern era. Kids now more than ever are looking for the program that's going to give them the best shot to play at the next level and an option offense is basically the antithesis of that. People get frustrated at our lack of recruiting prowess now!?...if we ran an option offense our recruiting would fall off a cliff.

Actually there's quite a bit of evidence that that's the case. Just look at the top 10 combine marks for all events all time and you tell me how many of the top ten are pre 2000. But it's more than that. If you run an option based offense then every player you recruit has to fit a very specific mold and it can negatively impact your recruiting in the modern era. Kids now more than ever are looking for the program that's going to give them the best shot to play at the next level and an option offense is basically the antithesis of that. People get frustrated at our lack of recruiting prowess now!?...if we ran an option offense our recruiting would fall off a cliff.
It would have zero impact on defensive recruiting so 50% of your theory flies out the window. Back in the day, we put so many linemen and running backs in the NFL that style of offensive play didn't matter. If you aspire to play quarterback at the next level, this probably isn't the place for you.

First time caller....how many QB's has nebraska sent to the NFL since Solich? What offenses did we use? How many games did these QB's win? How many RB's were put into the NFL during the same period? How many OL were sent to the NFL during the same period?

First time caller....how many QB's has nebraska sent to the NFL since Solich? What offenses did we use? How many games did these QB's win? How many RB's were put into the NFL during the same period? How many OL were sent to the NFL during the same period?
You're not allowed to ask those questions. Shame on you.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
That's not a question that favors your argument. You better go back and look at some of the O linemen that Callahan recruited who played in the NFL. The RB thing is just a factor of us not getting as good of talent due to our recruiting slipping after Tom retired. Rex and Ameer played in this "sissy" spread option offense blended with the WCO that you despise so much. Roy Helu played in the WCO for Callahan as did Brandon Jackson. Jackson got a Super Bowl ring with the Packers. He was recruited by Callahan as well. Zac Taylor got a shot. Tanner Lee was on a roster for most of a year. Many if not most of the guys drafted in the NFL today are spread option QBs and now many NFL teams have adopted some spread option concepts in their offense. The Niners, Ravens, Texans, Cardinals, hell even the Giants have run zone read options with Daniel Jones. That's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Most don't run the QB like the Ravens do, but it's in their playbook.

Bama mostly ran WCO I think though I didn't watch them much this last year. That's what the OCs they've been hiring favor. It's not a surprise that the Patriots wanted that style of pass first QB.

You're not allowed to ask those questions. Shame on you.
People act like we send people to the NFL with all of this stuff we have tried on offense since Solich. We get about 2 guys to the NFL per year as draft picks for a few years now.

If we go back to a physical brand of football where we focus on rushing the ball, good defense, good special teams, we will send more guys to the NFL then we do with all of this soft ass shit since Solich.

We can send RB's to the NFL. We can send OL to the NFL. We have rarely ever sent QB's and WR's to the NFL.

It's kinda dumb in reality to pretend Nebraska can be a QB and WR NFL factory.

People act like we send people to the NFL with all of this stuff we have tried on offense since Solich. We get about 2 guys to the NFL per year as draft picks for a few years now.

If we go back to a physical brand of football where we focus on rushing the ball, good defense, good special teams, we will send more guys to the NFL then we do with all of this soft ass shit since Solich.

We can send RB's to the NFL. We can send OL to the NFL. We have rarely ever sent QB's and WR's to the NFL.

It's kinda dumb in reality to pretend Nebraska can be a QB and WR NFL factory.
Manning, Martin and Toure will have a shot to play in the NFL for starters. Vokolek and Allen are drawing lots of interest from NFL scouts. We can recruit WRs to Nebraska. No problem. Stanley Morgan, DPE and Quincy Enunwa all say hello as does Cethan Carter. Yeah Q might be medically retired now but he got a nice contract his last year.

Reactions: leodisflowers
That's not a question that favors your argument. You better go back and look at some of the O linemen that Callahan recruited who played in the NFL. The RB thing is just a factor of us not getting as good of talent due to our recruiting slipping after Tom retired. Rex and Ameer played in this "sissy" spread option offense blended with the WCO that you despise so much. Roy Helu played in the WCO for Callahan as did Brandon Jackson. Jackson got a Super Bowl ring with the Packers. He was recruited by Callahan as well. Zac Taylor got a shot. Tanner Lee was on a roster for most of a year. Many if not most of the guys drafted in the NFL today are spread option QBs and now many NFL teams have adopted some spread option concepts in their offense. The Niners, Ravens, Texans, Cardinals, hell even the Giants have run zone read options with Daniel Jones. That's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Most don't run the QB like the Ravens do, but it's in their playbook.

Bama mostly ran WCO I think though I didn't watch them much this last year. That's what the OCs they've been hiring favor. It's not a surprise that the Patriots wanted that style of pass first QB.
The quarterbacks in the NFL that matter are Mahomes, Brady, and Rodgers. I'll include Stafford. They're all pocket passers. Mahomes and Rodgers take off a little bit, but their coaches sure as hell don't like it. I would have Lamar Jackson as my quarterback if I did not want to win a title.

ADVERTISEMENT