ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching staff

Baxter48

Defensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2010
Gods country
I’m beginning to think that the problem is more with the staff than players, yes we do miss jd but this staff right now is a gaggle
just the simple things aren’t happening, clock mismanagement getting the right players into the game and the special teams blunder yesterday on the punt is inexcusable the turnovers and penalties have hurt this staff since day 1, so is frost in over his head or are the assistants freelancers if frost to much of a micromanager? until this staff gets it sh-t together we’re going to be see a crappy team for at least the next two year. Right now the players aren’t giving the best chance to win

Reactions: Husker5 and HuskerO
I’m beginning to think that the problem is more with the staff than players, yes we do miss jd but this staff right now is a gaggle
just the simple things aren’t happening, clock mismanagement getting the right players into the game and the special teams blunder yesterday on the punt is inexcusable the turnovers and penalties have hurt this staff since day 1, so is frost in over his head or are the assistants freelancers if frost to much of a micromanager? until this staff gets it sh-t together we’re going to be see a crappy team for at least the next two year. Right now the players aren’t giving the best chance to win

I thinking the same thing we have some very average coaches that caught lighting in a bottle with SF at UCF..

The little things that keep happening over and over and this is smaller version of year 3.

How stubborn will Frost be to make some coaching changes is the question but two of the biggest changes need to be is removing Chinander as defensive coord and Verduzco as QB Coach.

If this season continues this way and there are no signs that it doesn’t. There has to be some sort of staff changes. This is when the hard decisions have to be made friend or not. If he wants to go down with the ship then so be it at this point.

Reactions: HuskerHackFraud
I’m afraid your right. Seems like we’re always 2 steps behind of our competition. They are playing chess while we are playing checkers. I think this off-season will be good for a change of coaches. One could dream that Chins will leave and Frost would relinquish his play calling.
My question is frost relying to much on his assistants and there letting him down or is frost to much of a micromanager and doesn’t let his assistant coaches do there job properly? I almost get the feeling he’s relying to much of his assistant and there just there letting him down. If so he to stop being buddies and start being the head coach he might piss off a couple of assistants but so be it he needs to be in charge of every asp of the game

Reactions: pahusker139
My question is frost relying to much on his assistants and there letting him down or is frost to much of a micromanager and doesn’t let his assistant coaches do there job properly? I almost get the feeling he’s relying to much of his assistant and there just there letting him down. If so he to stop being buddies and start being the head coach he might piss off a couple of assistants but so be it he needs to be in charge of every asp of the game
Problem is, he is running the offense so he has to, rely on the assistants to mange a lot of things. If he could hire a QB coach/OC to call the plays, Frost could manage the rest of the stuff much better. He is doing way too much and doesn’t have a strong enough staff around him, not a winning combination.

Problem is, he is running the offense so he has to, rely on the assistants to mange a lot of things. If he could hire a QB coach/OC to call the plays, Frost could manage the rest of the stuff much better. He is doing way too much and doesn’t have a strong enough staff around him, not a winning combination.
I would also add that he needs stronger recruiters on his staff.

Chins should be let go in the off season based on the lack of progress with the D. He’s had three years and it’s not getting any better. Frost is locked in for 5 years minimum, Moos has stated as much. If Frost can’t make the really hard decisions and break with some of his UCF staff, I believe it will eventually cost him and his entire staff their jobs. Yesterday was the worst i have felt about the state of the program in a very long time. Worse than when Riley was here because I had such high expectations for Frost and staff. Nobody loves Nebraska football and the state as much as Frost and I love that about him, but he has to move in a different direction with his staff to save the program before it’s too late. This has to be tearing him apart inside, but he has to move decisively and radically in a different direction and I pray that he does it immediately at season end.

His OC could run this offense. We don't need Frost to call plays. It's clear it isn't working the way it is. That said, even IF Lubbick is calling plays, Frost isn't TO. He need to get a handle on things on game day and make sure he has some type of special teams coordinator on the sidelines on game day. Whether it's a GA or whatever, somebody HAS to make sure we have enough helmets on the field for special teams.

His OC could run this offense. We don't need Frost to call plays. It's clear it isn't working the way it is. That said, even IF Lubbick is calling plays, Frost isn't TO. He need to get a handle on things on game day and make sure he has some type of special teams coordinator on the sidelines on game day. Whether it's a GA or whatever, somebody HAS to make sure we have enough helmets on the field for special teams.

That play right there tells me he isn’t close to being organized as Osborne was..

How can you not have that covered as Head Coach unless your not taking special teams seriously..

You nailed it. He relies too much on the other guys and they suck in my opinion. Maybe they aren’t bad but they are definitely the worst in the B10...
I’d say Frost needs to send Verduzco onto retirement and hire an OC/QB’s coach. As for Lubbick, not sure his involvement but from what I gathered, he’s nothing more than an analyst coaching receivers. He was an investment banker just a year ago..

That play right there tells me he isn’t close to being organized as Osborne was..

How can you not have that covered as Head Coach unless your not taking special teams seriously..
Somebody ON THE SIDELINE has to be responsible for making sure they're lined up right. A special teams consultant sitting in a box isn't enough.

Reactions: Baxter48
You nailed it. He relies too much on the other guys and they suck in my opinion. Maybe they aren’t bad but they are definitely the worst in the B10...
I’d say Frost needs to send Verduzco onto retirement and hire an OC/QB’s coach. As for Lubbick, not sure his involvement but from what I gathered, he’s nothing more than an analyst coaching receivers. He was an investment banker just a year ago..
Lubick could run this offense and call plays if Frost would let him. He did it for a year at Oregon and Washington. They'll work it out. Frost isn't stupid. He knows he has to fix that aspect of game day coaching. I don't know if we had any sideline coaches or GAs out with COVID Saturday or not. That could be a factor.

I think Lubick has a track record of working with WR, but I don’t think he’s a play caller. I would love to see us throw the bank at Helfrich as QB coach/OC. Let Frost help game plan and script the first series, but then let Helfrich call the plays and Frost can worry about managing the game.

What is troubling is that it should have been fixed after the Iowa game last year. But it wasn't.

Well from the optics he kinda did. He brought in Lubick to be the OC and named Greg Austin the running coordinator. As we know, it’s all bs and it was done to get a title / salary increase sent out. Nothing has changed. I hope his moves this off-season will be legit and not phony.

Well from the optics he kinda did. He brought in Lubick to be the OC and named Greg Austin the running coordinator. As we know, it’s all bs and it was done to get a title / salary increase sent out. Nothing has changed. I hope his moves this off-season will be legit and not phony.
I think they thought Lubick could bring enough knowledge and organization to make it work, but it is pretty clear Frost just can’t handle calling the plays and managing the game.

It is interesting that Indiana, Minnesota, Rutgers,Maryland, just a few examples can show immediate improvements in year one and two and yet Nebraska can’t. Why? Schiano has made Rutgers very competitive in year one yet we can’t get it done.

Coaching, plain and simple. And for those that say we have no talent or experience, 7 of our defensive starters are seniors.

Reactions: HuskerDana
It is interesting that Indiana, Minnesota, Rutgers,Maryland, just a few examples can show immediate improvements in year one and two and yet Nebraska can’t. Why? Schiano has made Rutgers very competitive in year one yet we can’t get it done.

If we knew why it would be easier to keep or Fire SF.😉

I hate to be the one that breaks it to you but these problems have been the same problems that we have seen here since Bo was here... now I will say I’ve been one of the first to go to bat for Frost and co, but after watching yesterday’s train wreck I can’t defend that... I do think Frost has started to bring some talent here but we are not at all as talented as our recruiting history would make it out to be. I think when you couple a team up that has little talent with a coaching staff that seems to be in over their head, you will get what we have seen the past few years... I don’t care how you want to twist things but there does need to be some change and I’d start by getting a new D coordinator, and possibly a new offensive coordinator, one that will call the plays... but for sure chins needs to go, you will always struggle to win a game when the opposing team puts up over 40 every time... we HAVE to get back to the basics, play your gaps, find the ball carrier, attack the ball carrier, in coverage we need to keep our heads on a swivel and start turning the head to find the ball, I don’t care how fast and talented you are, if you can’t turn to find the ball, or attack the ball carrier you don’t belong on the field... I’m not even a coach and I sit here and teach my kids how to read a QBs eyes how to turn their hearts to find the ball... it’s all basics

Reactions: CatColumbia
If we knew why it would be easier to keep or Fire SF.😉

Just my 2 cents but the why isn’t that hard. Frost can’t be successful by keeping his best pals employed. At the very least, Chin and the qb guru need to be let go. Neither has shown anything since they have been here. Frost needs to be the CEO not the OC. Delegate play calling because what he is doing is not working.

This team lacks leadership, and toughness both mental and physical are missing. If Frost doesn’t make changes then expect more of the same. What do they call a guy that keeps doing the same things over and over but expects different results? We all know that one.

What talented assistants with goals of advancing in the coaching ranks would hitch their star to Frost right now?

I get the point you are making, but Minnesota was worse in Flecks first two years than they were before he got there. Indiana was also 5-7 each of Allen’s first two years (obviously he has them humming now) and Maryland was one of the worst teams in American last year. But I do agree we should be seeing progress and we aren’t, which is maddening.

Reactions: rrthusker
Totally agree on all of the above especially Indiana and Rutgers, also look at Liberty and Cincinnati and Colorado what they have done. You start this game by having a QB, we are not developing players as other staffs are. Scott had a lot of talent on both UCF and Oregon, Jimmies and Joe’ s make all coaches look great. We need to shake things up

Lubick could run this offense and call plays if Frost would let him. He did it for a year at Oregon and Washington. They'll work it out. Frost isn't stupid. He knows he has to fix that aspect of game day coaching. I don't know if we had any sideline coaches or GAs out with COVID Saturday or not. That could be a factor.
I agree.....Frost isn't stupid...but I do think he is stubborn to a fault.

Reactions: aNUstart
Do we have the ability to adjust during game time, it seems our first series of scripted plays we go right down the field until the yellow flag comes out, the rest of game we struggle for any type of consistency at all.

If I may add, where are the defensive adjustments ? They are nonexistent. It is obvious Chin has no clue what he is doing. Mr. Moos pick up the Bat phone.

Somebody ON THE SIDELINE has to be responsible for making sure they're lined up right. A special teams consultant sitting in a box isn't enough.
Knowing your assignment and what teams you are on -- even when there is an injury -- is a DISCIPLINE issue.

It's no different than coming out of the locker room to start the game with the wrong personnel on the field. Discipline.

It's no different than coming out of a timeout dragging ass and getting a delay of game penalty. Discipline.

It's no different than giving up 16 yards on a draw on 3rd and 15 from the goal line because we had the wrong defense called for that OBVIOUS AS HELL call. Discipline.

It's no different than getting a holding penalty on the damn goal line. Discipline.

It's apparent that "no fear of failure" has led to a total breakdown in discipline in multiple areas on the team. Coaching, offense, defense, special teams. Nobody's afraid to "fail" and there is no accountability -- therefore we have stupid shit going on in all phases of the game.

Can't get the right set on the field half the time on offense. Can't get a play in on time. Nobody knows that we only have 9 on the field on a given play.

We have the "failure" part covered in spades.

We have the "no fear" part covered in spades.

Knowing your assignment and what teams you are on -- even when there is an injury -- is a DISCIPLINE issue.

It's no different than coming out of the locker room to start the game with the wrong personnel on the field. Discipline.

It's no different than coming out of a timeout dragging ass and getting a delay of game penalty. Discipline.

It's no different than giving up 16 yards on a draw on 3rd and 15 from the goal line because we had the wrong defense called for that OBVIOUS AS HELL call. Discipline.

It's no different than getting a holding penalty on the damn goal line. Discipline.

It's apparent that "no fear of failure" has led to a total breakdown in discipline in multiple areas on the team. Coaching, offense, defense, special teams. Nobody's afraid to "fail" and there is no accountability -- therefore we have stupid shit going on in all phases of the game.

Can't get the right set on the field half the time on offense. Can't get a play in on time. Nobody knows that we only have 9 on the field on a given play.

We have the "failure" part covered in spades.

We have the "no fear" part covered in spades.
couldn't agree more. the fact this staff gets humiliated on special teams week in and week out since game #1 is all you need to know about their attention to detail.

laughing stock. frost should be afraid to leave his house for how badly he's embarrassing his home state every saturday.

So we go through this every year on play calling. Is it the call or the execution? Is the play ran the one the coach called or was it an option the QB changed to? I don't question Frost's play calling because too much can happen between the call being sent in and the actual play.

If in fact the QB is running the exact plays being called then I would question. How do you know.

I can't believe we are in year three and some are just now seeing there may be some issues on the staff. Guess we are running out of players to blame?

Frost can't coach every position group, he has to rely on his assistants. That is what made Tom's team and staff work so well. He knew to the "T" what and how things would be taught. There was trust.

Can you imagine a Sunday film review with all the coaches? I would be embarrassed to keep seeing the same issues. Frost knows what is going on, trust me. Fixing it is another story.

ADVERTISEMENT