ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching shakeup

I’m curious what anyone’s “long term” definition is? With RARE exceptions, college football today just doesn’t seem to be structured to see most assistants stay longer than 6-7 years at any one school.
I know hiring BB is unlikely, but not sure him leaving after 3-4 years would not be outweighed with his presence working with Chins during that time.

This could be interesting. Didn't realize he was coaching in the NFL (although for the Cowboys). I recall someone once asking TO ...if you were walking down a dark alley and could pick one player to have your back, who would it be? He chose Carlos Polk. Nuff said.

I was always disappointed in his lack of defensive playing time, but he lasted in the league a long time mostly playing special teams IIRC. So as far as that aspect of the game he has walked the walk.

Reactions: otismotis08
I was always disappointed in his lack of defensive playing time, but he lasted in the league a long time mostly playing special teams IIRC. So as far as that aspect of the game he has walked the walk.
Polk? Don’t remeber May playing time concerns with him and he was also much more than simple a special teams player in the NFL.

Polk was a two time All-Big 12 player and an All-American in 2000. He was also the starting MLB for the Chargers for years.

Last edited:
I’m curious what anyone’s “long term” definition is? With RARE exceptions, college football today just doesn’t seem to be structured to see most assistants stay longer than 6-7 years at any one school.
I know hiring BB is unlikely, but not sure him leaving after 3-4 years would not be outweighed with his presence working with Chins during that time.

His presence working with Frost would be huge, much less Chinander, because Bielema would be the best game manager on the staff from day one, but there's no chance he's spending 3-4 years as the fourth guy on the totem pole on any team in the country.

He's got nearly 100 Power 5 wins and three B1G conference titles, he may make a pit stop somewhere, but it's not for 3-4 years as a LB/Special Teams coach and certainly not at Nebraska.

And to answer your question - long-term is hard to define because you don't want staff stagnation either, but anyone who would be hired with the assumption that he will likely walk away before his first recruiting class graduates is not long-term.

Last edited:
So, with the largest walk-on program in college FB and two years in to this regime we can't find 10 guys who can run down the field, keep contain, get under control and make a tackle? Please
Walk on program thing is meant to find diamonds in the rough..1 or 2 guys to play...not 9 walk ons running down on a kickoff or punt. Transfer portal makes us lose walk ons who contribute. Its different in 2020. 1/3 of our scholarships are freshman who were redshirting..frost is thinking long term. Patience

Reactions: Yossarian23
I approve this message.
This could be interesting. Didn't realize he was coaching in the NFL (although for the Cowboys). I recall someone once asking TO ...if you were walking down a dark alley and could pick one player to have your back, who would it be? He chose Carlos Polk. Nuff said.

Polk? Don’t remeber May playing time concerns with him and he was also much more than simple a special teams player in the NFL.

Polk was a two time All-Big 12 player and an All-American in 2000. He was also the starting MLB for the Chargers for years.

I was talking about the NFL, not his college time. Starting MLB for the Chargers for years? Uh.....no. How about six games.

http://www.nfl.com/player/carlospolk/2504597/profile

Special teams issues are just a reflection of our depth issues. Backup dbs, lbs, wr, rb are your core special team guys. And we just dont have those guys..they were all redshirting. We rolled with walk on special teams. Special teams is not rocket science..I hope they add an ace recruiter to that position.
Special teams were a reflection of our whole team, not just the walk ons fault. Undisciplined, dumb decisions, bad effort, inability to tackle. It wasn't just walk ons or depth that had these issues, our starting scholarship players had the same problems.

I've heard the rumors too. Good luck to Dewitt in any case. That health struggle he went through sounds horrible, and I'm glad to hear he's getting back to health. A side note: check out his bio. His college degree is in physics and mathematics.

If he does go (and it's just a bunch of rumors at this point), some names that have come up are Mike Dawson (ex-Husker coach, and probably now an ex-New York Giants coach after their head coach got fired) and Mike Ekeler (another ex-Husker coach, who's coaching special teams at Kansas under Miles). Dawson was coaching OLB for the Giants, and he's likely looking for a job. Another ex-Husker coach in the NFL likely looking for employment is Doug Colman (recently of the Cleveland Browns), who has a lot of experience coaching special teams and of course he has experience coaching and playing LB. He also would have played with Frost at NU. And those are just a few names with Husker ties. If Scott does need to make a new coaching hire, he could just choose to open up the search and interview someone Husker fans have never heard of.
Could be a mistake believing Frost would be the one to find a defensive coach.

Chin was the one to zero in on Tuioti and my guess is Frost would want his coordinators to take the lead in prioritizing potential coaches and Frost would make the final decision.

Special teams were a reflection of our whole team, not just the walk ons fault. Undisciplined, dumb decisions, bad effort, inability to tackle. It wasn't just walk ons or depth that had these issues, our starting scholarship players had the same problems.

This. Blaming it on no talent and redshirting everyone is a cop out. That doesn't explain the poor angles, not having a second level and just plain old poor execution.

This. Blaming it on no talent and redshirting everyone is a cop out. That doesn't explain the poor angles, not having a second level and just plain old poor execution.
It was really the kicking game, more than anything. We couldn’t make FG’s for most of the season because our kickers where injured and we couldn’t cover kickoffs because we kicked low line drives to the 10 yard line. There is a reason we had to resort to pooch kicks every time, like an 8-man HS team.

It was really the kicking game, more than anything. We couldn’t make FG’s for most of the season because our kickers where injured and we couldn’t cover kickoffs because we kicked low line drives to the 10 yard line. There is a reason we had to resort to pooch kicks every time, like an 8-man HS team.
Was it ever explained why they kicked it long in the Iowa game after pooch kicking it several times earlier? It resulted in a 95 yard touchdown return.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Was it ever explained why they kicked it long in the Iowa game after pooch kicking it several times earlier? It resulted in a 95 yard touchdown return.

Define long? Long to me is kicking it so far away that the kick returner doesn’t even consider returning it. I haven’t seen a Husker kicker have this type of strength since Henry/Adi/Maher.

Reactions: headcard
Didn’t Frost say something like that was DeWitt’s call and he thought they could catch them off guard? Probably all the answer we will ever get. Man did we take good kicking for granted for a long time.

Hard to get consistency when the depth of the ball is varying all over.
If anyone remembers, several coaches said, we need LB body types for our STs.
Now, I'm pretty sure, up until this class, our LB depth pretty much stunk it up.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Didn’t Frost say something like that was DeWitt’s call and he thought they could catch them off guard? Probably all the answer we will ever get. Man did we take good kicking for granted for a long time.
The kick was fine. Cam Taylor gave up his lane and it allowed the returner to get to the outside.

The kick was fine. Cam Taylor gave up his lane and it allowed the returner to get to the outside.
But it wasn't a pooch kick like the previous kicks. I just wondered if there was an explanation of why they didn't pooch kick it that time.

Special teams issues are just a reflection of our depth issues. Backup dbs, lbs, wr, rb are your core special team guys. And we just dont have those guys..they were all redshirting. We rolled with walk on special teams. Special teams is not rocket science..I hope they add an ace recruiter to that position.
Also playing freshman that you plan to redshirt after four games does not help the continuity four the special teams. Lots of missed angles and assignments because if that.

Also playing freshman that you plan to redshirt after four games does not help the continuity four the special teams. Lots of missed angles and assignments because if that.

Yeah, I dont think that was a great idea. Need continuity there.

Taylor did give up contain, but that was also the definition of a returnable kick. One of those you say of crap before the guy even fields it.

Reactions: CC_Lemming

He said he didn’t know why we kicked that long, implying it wasn’t the call. At the time I did not get the impression he was calling Dewitt out but Picketing (if anyone).

I don't know. Yes probably except the fact that I don't think it would be a long term solution if successful. Just hoping ec can get hitting on all cylinders

What's your thoughts

Well, it's definitely an upgrade. Problem is, we don't have any openings, let alone a DC opening. If my opinion mattered at all, I would take BB and kick EC to the curb. BB may only be around for a year or two, but I don't care. Things would improve on the defense.

Reactions: cubsker
Jim Rose said this morning don't expect this to be the only change before spring ball. Rose not always that accurate. Depends on where he's getting his info

Reactions: headcard
Just get the best darn person(s) for the job whether they are a former Husker or not. It's not a prerequisite.
Agreed, they don't have to have Husker ties, just get the best coach possible. That being said, I think Mike Ekeler was an underrated coach while he was here and he's worked at programs with good defenses everywhere he's been. He'd probably be near the top of my list for that position.

Agreed, they don't have to have Husker ties, just get the best coach possible. That being said, I think Mike Ekeler was an underrated coach while he was here and he's worked at programs with good defenses everywhere he's been. He'd probably be near the top of my list for that position.
Agreed. Ekeler brought excitement and performance in his short stay here. To me, he brings more than just a history with the program.

The best hire by far is Tosh Lupoi! His recruiting record is impeccable. If we add a west coast recruiter and double down on poly connection, we will have a top 10 class next year! We also needs a fresh outside body. We also got a complete buddy system going..we need somebody to shake up things. Lupoi hires says, lets get the job done! Puts everyone on notice. co- def cordinator title as well!

The best hire by far is Tosh Lupoi! His recruiting record is impeccable. If we add a west coast recruiter and double down on poly connection, we will have a top 10 class next year! We also needs a fresh outside body. We also got a complete buddy system going..we need somebody to shake up things. Lupoi hires says, lets get the job done! Puts everyone on notice. co- def cordinator title as well!
Absolutely, he was a long-time defensive assistant at Alabama. Those are the types of coaches we should be bringing in. Not just a guy who has Nebraska ties or a defensive coach from Cal.

I've heard speculation that TW was going to move on next year.
At least one of those rumors about him leaving was started by other schools recruiting against us for WRs. He has apparently been under consideration in the past for head coaching jobs so that isn't impossible. Frost and Walters have both recently said that he (Walters) expects to be at Nebraska for the next several years at least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT