ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching shakeup

He left for a reason. Hard to see him coming back after 1 year, particularly to replace a guy who he had worked with for 3 years.

The only guy I can see with former husker ties that may actually be a prospect is Colman, but I doubt that one as well. Most likely it will be someone we've never heard of.

Yea he left to Coach in the NFL. Dawson makes more sense than you think..

Reactions: BigRedRising
Although I'm not sure they beat us for Johnson, but I get it. Love the notion of poaching a coach.
I’m actually starting to like the idea of trying to poach the coach from Wisconsin, I don’t know how likely it is that he’d leave and come here, but they run a 3-4 D as well and It might benefit having an OLB coach that has knowledge of a successful 3-4 D within the BIG 10

Wisconsin beat us for Johnson and might do the same for Bollers. How about we take their OLB coach? Day did this to Michigan last year, when he shook up his staff at OSU.

I’m actually starting to like the idea of trying to poach the coach from Wisconsin, I don’t know how likely it is that he’d leave and come here, but they run a 3-4 D as well and It might benefit having an OLB coach that has knowledge of a successful 3-4 D within the BIG 10

A lot of wishful thinking here...

A lot of wishful thinking here...

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows what his contract (or anybody else who might be a good candidate) looks like, but looking at a pay bump of over 50% is going to get just about anybody to let you take them out for a cup of coffee to discuss hypotheticals.

I think so, should know soon. This will be an important hire for Frost, if DeWitt goes. Two areas (OLB and ST) we need to improve in, big time.

Where are these rumors coming from?

I won’t be sad if we found a new OLB Special Teams coach.

I'd be salivating!

Who is the person that tweeted that? Just a random fan who is reading UNC msg board? If so I wouldn't say it is a rock solid lead. Anyway, I wouldn't be dissapointed to see a proven coach come in, in his place. It just doesn't really mesh. I think UNC would be down grading in taking him.

Let’s just bring back Charlie McBride while we are at it.
I would prefer Monte Kiffin.

Ekeler is from David City and is in his late 40s, so the long haul continuity aspect is gonna suit him. He's also coached LBs for Georgia, USC, Indiana, Nebraska, LSU and Oklahoma and is on Les Miles' staff right now - hard to imagine he wouldn't be a top candidate.

I would prefer Monte Kiffin.

Ekeler is from David City and is in his late 40s, so the long haul continuity aspect is gonna suit him. He's also coached LBs for Georgia, USC, Indiana, Nebraska, LSU and Oklahoma and is on Les Miles' staff right now - hard to imagine he wouldn't be a top candidate.
I'd be very surprised if Frost hires someone who was on Pelini's staff here.

I’m a little confused why Mack Brown would wanna take an underachieving coach off our hands (if DeWitt)

Track Frost's career to see who he may have been connected to. NFL, K STank, UNI, and Oregon.

Or look at Chinanders connections

Track Frost's career to see who he may have been connected to. NFL, K STank, UNI, and Oregon.

There's a pretty long list of guys who would be good candidates IF something happens. Some of the guys listed here would be both logical and good replacements. Colman and Ek would probably both be on top of my list. I think that both are good recruiters and coaches. Colman will likely be available soon with the coaching change at the Browns.

Special teams issues are just a reflection of our depth issues. Backup dbs, lbs, wr, rb are your core special team guys. And we just dont have those guys..they were all redshirting. We rolled with walk on special teams. Special teams is not rocket science..I hope they add an ace recruiter to that position.

This ^^. I expect the kick return defense to be improved. We just need to find a kicker and punter with a strong leg.

Actually did that earlier today for Chins. So somewhat jokingly suggesting Bret Bielema. Buuuuuut, he’s a guy although maybe not long term, does check some of the boxes. Assistant coach at Iowa when Chin’s played. Prior Big 10 successful head coach. Current DL coach for Pats who might be looking for path back to the college game. Too big of personality?

So, with the largest walk-on program in college FB and two years in to this regime we can't find 10 guys who can run down the field, keep contain, get under control and make a tackle? Please

Actually did that earlier today for Chins. So somewhat jokingly suggesting Bret Bielema. Buuuuuut, he’s a guy although maybe not long term, does check some of the boxes. Assistant coach at Iowa when Chin’s played. Prior Big 10 successful head coach. Current DL coach for Pats who might be looking for path back to the college game. Too big of personality?

Too likely to move on.

Bielema or someone with big time coaching experience would be a great addition to the staff if I were making the hires, but it would be a complete change of approach for Frost who appears to be trying to hire long-term assistants/position coaches. I'm not saying it's the right or wrong approach to hiring guys, but that looks like Frost's approach.

Too likely to move on.

Bielema or someone with big time coaching experience would be a great addition to the staff if I were making the hires, but it would be a complete change of approach for Frost who appears to be trying to hire long-term assistants/position coaches. I'm not saying it's the right or wrong approach to hiring guys, but that looks like Frost's approach.

ADVERTISEMENT