ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching shakeup

I think so, should know soon. This will be an important hire for Frost, if DeWitt goes. Two areas (OLB and ST) we need to improve in, big time.
who would be out there for potential replacements? Are there any good recruiters or good technique guys?

Reactions: Bold Words
I've heard the rumors too. Good luck to Dewitt in any case. That health struggle he went through sounds horrible, and I'm glad to hear he's getting back to health. A side note: check out his bio. His college degree is in physics and mathematics.

If he does go (and it's just a bunch of rumors at this point), some names that have come up are Mike Dawson (ex-Husker coach, and probably now an ex-New York Giants coach after their head coach got fired) and Mike Ekeler (another ex-Husker coach, who's coaching special teams at Kansas under Miles). Dawson was coaching OLB for the Giants, and he's likely looking for a job. Another ex-Husker coach in the NFL likely looking for employment is Doug Colman (recently of the Cleveland Browns), who has a lot of experience coaching special teams and of course he has experience coaching and playing LB. He also would have played with Frost at NU. And those are just a few names with Husker ties. If Scott does need to make a new coaching hire, he could just choose to open up the search and interview someone Husker fans have never heard of.

I've heard the rumors too. Good luck to Dewitt in any case. That health struggle he went through sounds horrible, and I'm glad to hear he's getting back to health. A side note: check out his bio. His college degree is in physics and mathematics.

If he does go (and it's just a bunch of rumors at this point), some names that have come up are Mike Dawson (ex-Husker coach, and probably now an ex-New York Giants coach after their head coach got fired) and Mike Ekeler (another ex-Husker coach, who's coaching special teams at Kansas under Miles). Dawson was coaching OLB for the Giants, and he's likely looking for a job. Another ex-Husker coach in the NFL likely looking for employment is Doug Colman (recently of the Cleveland Browns), who has a lot of experience coaching special teams and of course he has experience coaching and playing LB. He also would have played with Frost at NU. And those are just a few names with Husker ties. If Scott does need to make a new coaching hire, he could just choose to open up the search and interview someone Husker fans have never heard of.
thank you for the input here... seeming as hearing about possibly losing Dewitt came as news to me and left me wondering what some of the options would be, it’s nice to see what some of the rumored replacements could be... thank you

Hopefully, he will open it up and find the best fit and not because he was a former husker. If it is a former husker and he is the most qualified, so be it. It's early in the game, however, some of the former Huskers who are assistant coaches on the team, are kind of proving they are not ready to coach at this level quite yet.

Reactions: TheBeav815
If DeWitt does leave, his replacement would be someone that Frost feels will stay for the long haul - it's pretty clear he's placing a lot of value on continuity in his staff. Mike Ekeler is definitely a name I would put high on the list of candidates.

Can Carlos Polk for ST coach? Can he recruit? Would he want the job? Would SF want him?
This could be interesting. Didn't realize he was coaching in the NFL (although for the Cowboys). I recall someone once asking TO ...if you were walking down a dark alley and could pick one player to have your back, who would it be? He chose Carlos Polk. Nuff said.

Reactions: newAD
Special teams issues are just a reflection of our depth issues. Backup dbs, lbs, wr, rb are your core special team guys. And we just dont have those guys..they were all redshirting. We rolled with walk on special teams. Special teams is not rocket science..I hope they add an ace recruiter to that position.

If DeWitt does leave, his replacement would be someone that Frost feels will stay for the long haul - it's pretty clear he's placing a lot of value on continuity in his staff. Mike Ekeler is definitely a name I would put high on the list of candidates.
Let’s just bring back Charlie McBride while we are at it.

Reactions: jeans15
Dawson coached OLBs for the Giants this season.
He left for a reason. Hard to see him coming back after 1 year, particularly to replace a guy who he had worked with for 3 years.

The only guy I can see with former husker ties that may actually be a prospect is Colman, but I doubt that one as well. Most likely it will be someone we've never heard of.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT