ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Announcement

The "something hasn't worked" IMO lies largely at the feet of the players we have at WR. Kade Warner made it work. Spielman made it work. Hunt was impressing in practice and was going to start. Chase played as a true freshman. Most of the freshman WRs needed some time in they weight room and with the playbook. That is NOT unusual. So we did in FACT have some guys who advanced under Walters. You can not deny that. I would say that Warner far exceeded what the expectations for him were given his limited speed. We were limited by several things in the passing game with probably the most glaring being our QB play. It's so easy to tear others down when you're not wearing their shoes.
I don't think you can say the Wrs have worked when they were good when the staff was only here for a few months, then they all got hurt or were bad after the staff was here for a year...our true freshman have played extremely well, but this isn't necessarily due to coaching, just really good talent and instincts. Our true sophomores have played more poorly, meaning the coaching isn't making them better. This could all be coincidence and a pile up of injuries and expectations but it doesn't look good to have multiple true freshman come in and knock it out of the park and then regress in year 2. Add to the fact that zero RSH freshman stepped up and played really well and there seems to be an issue with development.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
I remember frost bitching all year about receivers not running timed routes right and not blocking on the perimeter. As the season progressed, those problems persisted. It was not exclusively a talent issue, I never noticed untalented players busting their asses and coming up short, I saw a general lack of emphasis on fundamentals. Blame Walter's or frost for that.

And I think if Walters and Beckton both leave, after DeWitt left, Frost would want another African-American coach to coach receivers. Fisher would be the only one left.
What about Austin and Tuioti? Still plenty of diversity if you ask me.

Keith Williams would be amazing to have back! One could make a solid argument that the reason we had so much success in year one is due directly to his coaching abilities... He's the only Riley staff member that I wanted retained and would Love to see him back in RED!

Keith Williams would be amazing to have back! One could make a solid argument that the reason we had so much success in year one is due directly to his coaching abilities... He's the only Riley staff member that I wanted retained and would Love to see him back in RED!
Keith could get Pelini guys to keep playing hard and could get some Divas to visit but at the end of the day, hes known for helping guys with route running and nothing more. We need guys that coach the culture into the players and guys that are coaches at heart, not ex players leaning on their specialized experience to help guys tweak small aspects of their game.

Really? Please tell me what Williams did to receive so much praise. Guy was all hype.

Reactions: BigRedRising
Frost is not going to hire a Riley guy, especially with the baggage Williams has. He hasn't been able to get a job for 3 years.
I have wondered if he is still in Lincoln because of probation. Isn't it pretty common, not to be able to move out of state until after your probation has ended?

I have wondered if he is still in Lincoln because of probation. Isn't it pretty common, not to be able to move out of state until after your probation has ended?
I thought his infraction was a DUI and occurred a few years ago now. He wouldn't be on probation. The dude works with WR as a personal coach, so I'd guess he is getting some scratch from the guys that get paid to play.

I thought his infraction was a DUI and occurred a few years ago now. He wouldn't be on probation. The dude works with WR as a personal coach, so I'd guess he is getting some scratch from the guys that get paid to play.
Probably true, but it was his third DUI, so I wasn't sure how long probation would last for something like that.

Reactions: BigRedRising
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT