ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Announcement

I don’t think it is fair to say how much Hunt improved unless u watched practice. Do we know this improvement would have translated to game day? Just saying. And even if he started that could mean he is the best of a lot of bad receivers
So, you're saying the rest are bad, but, unless you watched practice how would you know? The youngest ones were all redshirted for a reason.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
He left. He didn’t want to be here. Why did we bring him back?

like that?
My answer would be "he is EXTREMELY qualified" right now to fill our needs at OLB and ST coordinator. Good guy. Good coach. Liked by some of our young current players. Knows they system. ++++.

Reactions: timnsun
There won’t be any co offensive coordinators. If Walters stays you may have someone else come in as an analyst (Helfrich?) but that is all. And I doubt there is that much bad blood between Walters and Frost. If there were, I think Frost would have fired him. Frost is loyal to his coaches, but to the Nebraska football program first. And if he thought Walters needs to go then he will.
With Austin getting the title run game coordinator, I think there will surely be a co-offensive coordinator.

With Austin getting the title run game coordinator, I think there will surely be a co-offensive coordinator.
One of the issues pointed out by non-Husker analysts this past year was the there were some issues with blocking schemes being inconsistent with the apparent play calls. Some of that was Mo Washington not running where he was supposed to but having your O line coach involved more in the run game makes sense. Callahan has had both of those titles in the NFL. Austin is a bright guy and regardless of some of the critics, we need to keep him happy and well paid. There are going to be people trying to poach some our offensive assistants with some of the numbers Frost's offense has been putting up.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
My answer would be "he is EXTREMELY qualified" right now to fill our needs at OLB and ST coordinator. Good guy. Good coach. Liked by some of our young current players. Knows they system. ++++.
ST analyst will be Sean Snyder (one of it not the best in the country).

One of the issues pointed out by non-Husker analysts this past year was the there were some issues with blocking schemes being inconsistent with the apparent play calls. Some of that was Mo Washington not running where he was supposed to but having your O line coach involved more in the run game makes sense. Callahan has had both of those titles in the NFL. Austin is a bright guy and regardless of some of the critics, we need to keep him happy and well paid. There are going to be people trying to poach some our offensive assistants with some of the numbers Frost's offense has been putting up.
I also personally believe this move is going to result in some more shades of the Old Husker playbook starting in 2020 as well.

Reactions: bshirt73
I mean I don’t have a leg to stand on in this argument... but I’d like to point out that I didn’t read any where were he said SF was perfect, or makes no mistakes... I see where he said is HCSF wants the person the you should too... I try to not make things more difficult then what they need to be so that means I take things for how they’re said, and I just don’t take that as him sayin HCSF is perfect and so t make mistakes... I take his statement as HCSF is the one in charge of hiring so if this is the guy HCSF wants or feels fits then you should just be happy and stop arguing, cuz it won’t change anything.... now granted he didn’t say that stuff either but I’m willing to bet I’m close to his intention was....

And if that’s the case it’s still BS. We live in a country that we can question our leaders. I fought for this country and for those rights. I don’t believe in the “your either with us or against us” mentality. I can be with you but not for every dam move you make. That’s just ludicrous. I’m for Frost as a coach and I want him to succeed. My fear is he won’t if he keeps crappy assistants. Sorry I’m just not a “yes man”. What dingle sounds like is a “yes man”

And if that’s the case it’s still BS. We live in a country that we can question our leaders. I fought for this country and for those rights. I don’t believe in the “your either with us or against us” mentality. I can be with you but not for every dam move you make. That’s just ludicrous. I’m for Frost as a coach and I want him to succeed. My fear is he won’t if he keeps crappy assistants. Sorry I’m just not a “yes man”. What dingle sounds like is a “yes man”
You're right, but if your leader, platoon say, is getting thiings done, makes a few mistakes, but basically is handling business, and you're constantly questioning the leaders choices, how would the rest of the platoon look at you?
If a guy is ahead of you, and you dont really know what he's doing, to dump on the old man is reaching, whether you like that assistant or whomever or not.
Forming notions about a coach is fine, but to me, until we know better, we just dont know better, but it isnt about with us ir against us, do you actually know better?
If so, share

Not trying to be a d-bag but that was weak-sauce. How are you going to claim a guy that was a redshirt under coach-dub and a “should of could of” who never was as Walters strong points. That’s just sad on so many accounts. Blame recruiting by the past staff, fine. But let’s not hang his hat on Warner and Hunt. And yes, I look myself in the mirror every morning. If I did my job at an equivalent as 2 losing seasons, I’d be fired tomorrow. Say all you want about it, but the numbers don’t lie.

And yes Frost won’t fire the guy. He’s not that kind of man. But he could nudge him to maybe fine something elsewhere. Something hasn’t worked these last few seasons and it’s not all on the players.

and yes he’s only been here 2 years but players only get 4 years of eligibility. He doesn’t have all the time in the world with these guys
The "something hasn't worked" IMO lies largely at the feet of the players we have at WR. Kade Warner made it work. Spielman made it work. Hunt was impressing in practice and was going to start. Chase played as a true freshman. Most of the freshman WRs needed some time in they weight room and with the playbook. That is NOT unusual. So we did in FACT have some guys who advanced under Walters. You can not deny that. I would say that Warner far exceeded what the expectations for him were given his limited speed. We were limited by several things in the passing game with probably the most glaring being our QB play. It's so easy to tear others down when you're not wearing their shoes.

You're right, but if your leader, platoon say, is getting thiings done, makes a few mistakes, but basically is handling business, and you're constantly questioning the leaders choices, how would the rest of the platoon look at you?
If a guy is ahead of you, and you dont really know what he's doing, to dump on the old man is reaching, whether you like that assistant or whomever or not.
Forming notions about a coach is fine, but to me, until we know better, we just dont know better, but it isnt about with us ir against us, do you actually know better?
If so, share

first of all (and I mean this with respect) the military is not like the free world. It’s more like prison. You can be shot for questioning your leaders. soldiers give up their freedom so we can have ours. So it’s business structure is a little different

second I wouldn’t say Frost is getting things done and handling business. Statistically speaking, I’d say right now Scott frost is currently the worst HC in most of ours life time.

If so, share
The platoon leader has had a 4 win season and a 5 win season. So far he's not been getting things done. It's fair to question his decision making when he has basically the same staff he had when he started here that produced those 4 and 5 win seasons.

The platoon leader has had a 4 win season and a 5 win season. So far he's not been getting things done. It's fair to question his decision making when he has basically the same staff he had when he started here that produced those 4 and 5 win seasons.
Winning battles are important, and he needs to win next year, but the wars far from over.
Its like the battle of the bulge, hold the line to reinforcements get there.
Thats a fair comparison, as half a new team shows up next year, plus a ton of walkons.
If next year he's at 4or 5 wins, this programs in trouble .

Until then it isn't

Reactions: bshirt73
The "something hasn't worked" IMO lies largely at the feet of the players we have at WR. Kade Warner made it work. Spielman made it work. Hunt was impressing in practice and was going to start. Chase played as a true freshman. Most of the freshman WRs needed some time in they weight room and with the playbook. That is NOT unusual. So we did in FACT have some guys who advanced under Walters. You can not deny that. I would say that Warner far exceeded what the expectations for him were given his limited speed. We were limited by several things in the passing game with probably the most glaring being our QB play. It's so easy to tear others down when you're not wearing their shoes.
Yeah, I can deny that. The WR core have been terrible. If you think that was a solid core, then I can’t help you. What I can’t deny is this is the worst coaching staff statistically in my life time and that holds true for anyone born after 1961.

Yeah, I can deny that. The WR core have been terrible. If you think that was a solid core, then I can’t help you. What I can’t deny is this is the worst coaching staff statistically in my life time and that holds true for anyone born after 1961.
They haven't been "terrible". They lacked speed but largely they've caught the balls thrown to them and ran decent routes. The bigger problem is that our QBs had trouble finding the open guy and then delivering the ball to them. We've had WAY too many guys running open on plays with the ball then being thrown to the wrong guy. Without Hunt, we didn't have any kind of a deep threat other than Spielman and he usually drew a double team. It all doesn't lie at Walters' feet.

They haven't been "terrible". They lacked speed but largely they've caught the balls thrown to them and ran decent routes. The bigger problem is that our QBs had trouble finding the open guy and then delivering the ball to them. We've had WAY too many guys running open on plays with the ball then being thrown to the wrong guy. Without Hunt, we didn't have any kind of a deep threat other than Spielman and he usually drew a double team. It all doesn't lie at Walters' feet.
They won’t be terrible in 2020. I think we can agree with that. And if they are, there’s definitely a problem in coaching

Walters wasn't my highest priority when it comes to staff changes. He was more in the middle of the list for me. But from the sound of it, Frost had an opportunity to make a major upgrade at the position and didn't take it. That's the major thing I question is why Frost continues to roll with the same group that produced losing seasons here. I'm not someone who gives passes for poor performance or makes excuses for performance issues. If this staff, which is almost entirely made up of the same guys who started, is still having the same issues I'm not going to give Frost a pass on that. I'd be much more likely to forgive a bad season next year if Frost did attempt to shakeup the staff. Next year is put up or shut up time for me with this staff, and that's counting all coaches including Frost.

Reactions: MikeRileyGBR
Walters wasn't my highest priority when it comes to staff changes. He was more in the middle of the list for me. But from the sound of it, Frost had an opportunity to make a major upgrade at the position and didn't take it. That's the major thing I question is why Frost continues to roll with the same group that produced losing seasons here. I'm not someone who gives passes for poor performance or makes excuses for performance issues. If this staff, which is almost entirely made up of the same guys who started, is still having the same issues I'm not going to give Frost a pass on that. I'd be much more likely to forgive a bad season next year if Frost did attempt to shakeup the staff. Next year is put up or shut up time for me with this staff, and that's counting all coaches including Frost.
I hear ya, but even if you don’t give him a pass he’s not going anywhere next year. He still has time to figure it out (assuming things are bad once again).

Reactions: bigRed-no-BiilyC
Almost everyones in that camp, its time to win. Nothing new here, its just that there are real reasons outside of coaching thats going on.
You tend to either not weigh those reasons very heavily or not at all, and focus on the coaching, but while I'm not excusing the coaches, the Big has its share of great coaching, but we, Nebraska doesn't even have its half its share of players on the all Big Ten list, where average, or share, is 11 guys,we had 6.
Now, while you may also carry this over to coaching for a staff where only one of their players was mentioned on that Big list, in two years, I'm just not certain thats a fair assessment

I hear ya, but even if you don’t give him a pass he’s not going anywhere next year. He still has time to figure it out (assuming things are bad once again).
You think if he has 3 losing seasons in a row, he deserves another year? I sure don't. I'm expecting at least a winning record next year.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
Who would have been this major upgrade that would come here and not call the plays?
Helfrich, Lubbick, and Joseph were all names thrown out, as well as a few others. I think the 3 mentioned would have all been upgrades over Walters.

Helfrich, Lubbick, and Joseph were all names thrown out, as well as a few others. I think the 3 mentioned would have all been upgrades over Walters.

Those names were only thrown out by fans. None of them would come here to be an OC in name only and not call plays.

Reactions: bigRed-no-BiilyC
Those names were only thrown out by fans. None of them would come here to be an OC in name only and not call plays.
I kind of doubt that. I don't know if any of them were even offered an OC position.

You think if he has 3 losing seasons in a row, he deserves another year? I sure don't. I'm expecting at least a winning record next year.
Who cares what I think? His contract was extended once again this past season. He isn’t going anywhere. And I don’t think he’s too concerned about run of the mill message board posters who won’t give him a pass.

Who cares what I think? His contract was extended once again this past season. He isn’t going anywhere. And I don’t think he’s too concerned about run of the mill message board posters who won’t give him a pass.
That's fair. The administration didn't care that you wanted to keep Riley for another year either.

That's fair. The administration didn't care that you wanted to keep Riley for another year either.
Please. I freely admit heading in to year three I was all in with Riley. As the year progressed, you will not find a single post from me saying he should have a 4th year. Go ahead and search. You won’t find it.

Like you, I’m not hiding from my posts. You still bent that Dawson, who doesn’t want to be here, is back?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT