ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Announcement

What's your problem with Walters? IF you don't like the play calling you need to blame Frost. If you're concerned about WR development, you need to look at Warner. IF a kid is studious and willing to do the work, he can play. We landed some studs this year IMO at WR that hopefully will make our WR coach look quite a bit better. We needed to get bigger AND faster at WR. I don't think our shortcomings there this past year were necessarily Walters' fault. Remember, Hunt was slated to be a starter at WR before he lost his mind.

I don’t have any problem with him at all...Except he isn’t the real offensive coordinator other by name only..

Just heard his desk was cleared out by someone that has information from high up...

That is all that is too it... But I won’t hear the end of it, if this isn’t the case..

But if he still around by some of you I’m the one that will get blasted for hearing it...

Reactions: 3buzzmable
I don’t have any problem with him at all...Except he isn’t the real offensive coordinator other by name only..

Just heard his desk was cleared out by someone that has information from high up...

That is all that is too it... But I won’t hear the end of it, if this isn’t the case..

But if he still around by some of you I’m the one that will get blasted for hearing it...
In another thread you said
Thought this was going to be a conflict of difference from the get go...

I’m not sure why you think this? They basically had the same arrangement at UCF, what is this conflict of difference?

In another thread you said

I’m not sure why you think this? They basically had the same arrangement at UCF, what is this conflict of difference?

The conflict of difference would be if Helfrich takes over as offensive analyst he would have more input than Walters would..

That is what I was thinking..

Reactions: BroskiRed
You folks shouldn't be getting your hopes up on the mickey joseph thing.
I wonder about this too. He’s got a pretty good thing going on now, from the New Orleans area, and sounds like he’s well liked & respected in a recruiting hotbed. On top of that, LSU will be looking for a new passing game coordinator.

Reactions: CatColumbia

Itsallgoodman. Your post saying "as long as Walters is gone, I'm good" gave me pause. I was just wondering why you felt that way. I guess if I post something like this, I usually try to share where I hear it. I realize one can't always do that in order to protect a source. Some of the stuff I've had in the past could have negatively affected somebody's employment if I had shared where I got it. IF I get things from another board or reporter of some type I share where it came from....if my feeble old mind can remember where.:oops:

Reactions: scarletred
With the AFCA convention going on this week, I wouldn’t expect any announcements soon. I wouldn’t be surprised if Helfrich joins the staff.

Last edited:
With the AFCA convention going on this week, I wouldn’t expect any announcements soon. I wouldn’t be surprised if Helfrich joins the staff.
Don't think the AFCA convention has anything to do with it. Besides look at what happened to the last coach we got from a place like that. You should have enough connections and know what type of guy you want on your staff that you don't need to pick up a random coach from a convention. Imo you have to be pretty desperate to use that method.

Don't think the AFCA convention has anything to do with it. Besides look at what happened to the last coach we got from a place like that. You should have enough connections and know what type of guy you want on your staff that you don't need to pick up a random coach from a convention. Imo you have to be pretty desperate to use that method.
It’s not picking random guys at a convention, it’s convenient to get things done cause everyone is in one place

Itsallgoodman. Your post saying "as long as Walters is gone, I'm good" gave me pause. I was just wondering why you felt that way. I guess if I post something like this, I usually try to share where I hear it. I realize one can't always do that in order to protect a source. Some of the stuff I've had in the past could have negatively affected somebody's employment if I had shared where I got it. IF I get things from another board or reporter of some type I share where it came from....if my feeble old mind can remember where.:oops:
My personal opinion on Walters to this point is I'm looking for a reason to want him to stay. Much like DeWitt, I get that he isn't exactly playing with house money, but I'm not impressed at his ability to spin straw into gold either.

WR recruiting has been good, not great. A bunch of little fast dudes and thus far an inability to get and keep guys who can go up and get it like what we saw Monday night.

WR play has been below expectations. They had a nice first year with Stanley and J.D., and then once Stanley was gone it was a mess. We found ourselves at a point where we were giving thanks for the return of Kade Warner to the WR corps. Love Kade, but that's rough that as a "reliable walk-on type" he was so sorely missed.

Later in the year, one of their best weapons at WR seemed to be true freshman Luke McCaffrey. Meanwhile, J.D. was being woefully underutilized while we crammed touches down the throat of an injured true freshman Wan'dale Robinson.

Frost even publicly criticized their WRs for not getting open last season. Woof. If you have one job as a WR, it's to get open. And it's not like that was year one and they couldn't be expected to know the offense.

Catching: Every team has drops, but I haven't been impressed with the ability of NU receivers to make tough catches with the exception of Noa making a few really nice concentration grabs along the sidelines.

Run blocking: Not good enough. Also a problem with the OL, but just because somebody else stinks that's not an excuse why you don't have to wash your armpits.

Now let's say that Walters does actually have play calling responsibilities, which I don't think any of us believe he does. We can point to at least one game (Purdue) that was lost due to flat out stupid play calling. and we could probably turn up some others that should have gone the other way as well.

I guess my question is: Why should I want Walters to stay?

You folks shouldn't be getting your hopes up on the mickey joseph thing.
What? Why not? Remember when Jim Tressel was heavily rumored to be the next Nebraska HC? MSG boards and twitter experts are always right.

Name one receiver that has improved since Walters has been their coach
Kade Warner. Andre Hunt would have started. Not Walters' fault that Hunt was stupid. The play calling was not on Walters. That's all Frost trying to get our most explosive player the ball any way he could. So apparently Walters gets no credit for Warner, Hunt, Robinson, Spielman and how Morgan played his senior year. The jury is still out on the rest of those freshman receivers. I just don't get the disrespect for Walters. The guy gives us instant cred when he picks up the phone or walks in to a living room. Some people need to look in the mirror before they start tearing other people down. I was very happy to hear that Walters was coming on board here.

My personal opinion on Walters to this point is I'm looking for a reason to want him to stay. Much like DeWitt, I get that he isn't exactly playing with house money, but I'm not impressed at his ability to spin straw into gold either.

WR recruiting has been good, not great. A bunch of little fast dudes and thus far an inability to get and keep guys who can go up and get it like what we saw Monday night.

WR play has been below expectations. They had a nice first year with Stanley and J.D., and then once Stanley was gone it was a mess. We found ourselves at a point where we were giving thanks for the return of Kade Warner to the WR corps. Love Kade, but that's rough that as a "reliable walk-on type" he was so sorely missed.

Later in the year, one of their best weapons at WR seemed to be true freshman Luke McCaffrey. Meanwhile, J.D. was being woefully underutilized while we crammed touches down the throat of an injured true freshman Wan'dale Robinson.

Frost even publicly criticized their WRs for not getting open last season. Woof. If you have one job as a WR, it's to get open. And it's not like that was year one and they couldn't be expected to know the offense.

Catching: Every team has drops, but I haven't been impressed with the ability of NU receivers to make tough catches with the exception of Noa making a few really nice concentration grabs along the sidelines.

Run blocking: Not good enough. Also a problem with the OL, but just because somebody else stinks that's not an excuse why you don't have to wash your armpits.

Now let's say that Walters does actually have play calling responsibilities, which I don't think any of us believe he does. We can point to at least one game (Purdue) that was lost due to flat out stupid play calling. and we could probably turn up some others that should have gone the other way as well.

I guess my question is: Why should I want Walters to stay?
He did in fact recruit Manning and some other exciting prospects this cycle. There are your guys how can "go up and get it". He does in fact give us instant credibility with recruits with his resume. The #1 Answer is......Frost wants him. If Frost wants him, you should want him. He knows a helluva lot more about coaching WRs than any of us. As far as run blocking goes, some of that is a function of size and the FACT that JD doesn't like to do it from what I've heard. We recruited at least 2 big WRs this cycle and are working on a 3rd guy for this Feb. signing day. Frost and Walters knew this was an issue and they are trying to fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
He did in fact recruit Manning and some other exciting prospects this cycle. There are your guys how can "go up and get it". He does in fact give us instant credibility with recruits with his resume. The #1 Answer is......Frost wants him. If Frost wants him, you should want him. He knows a helluva lot more about coaching WRs than any of us. As far as run blocking goes, some of that is a function of size and the FACT that JD doesn't like to do it from what I've heard. We recruited at least 2 big WRs this cycle and are working on a 3rd guy for this Feb. signing day. Frost and Walters knew this was an issue and they are trying to fix it.
I have heard Held was the driving factor in getting him here. Walters might have been in the room but Held closed the deal type of thing

Last edited:
one guy who does like to run block? Zavier Betts.

very excited about him and Manning.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think at this point we can probably dismiss the idea of Dawson coming back unless there is an extensive interview process that involved several candidates and he won out. There would be no reason for him to not already be named if he wasn't the sure hire. Seems like the same kind of speculation that always has all indication pointing to a coach with former husker ties. Dawson, Polk, Coleman, Busch....... all potential hires but in all honesty it isn't likely. Kinda surprised that jimmy burrow isn't being bandied about as well. Same thing with the Walter's rumor, it immediately goes to Mickey Joseph. It most likely won't happen.

Reactions: husker2612
I think at this point we can probably dismiss the idea of Dawson coming back unless there is an extensive interview process that involved several candidates and he won out. There would be no reason for him to not already be named if he wasn't the sure hire. Seems like the same kind of speculation that always has all indication pointing to a coach with former husker ties. Dawson, Polk, Coleman, Busch....... all potential hires but in all honesty it isn't likely. Kinda surprised that jimmy burrow isn't being bandied about as well. Same thing with the Walter's rumor, it immediately goes to Mickey Joseph. It most likely won't happen.

Dawson was just officially let go from the Giants today. He might have been waiting to see if the new coach was going to retain him.

We'll most likely find out within the next week if Frost really does want Walters.

If Walters leaves it won't be because Frost fires him. The drum beat on this free board is silly. It's as if some of you are tired of your toys and want something new.
If Frost fires him outright or asks him to look elsewhere, does it really make a difference? If Walters isn't coaching next year, as with DeWitt, it's likely because Frost doesn't want him to.

Reactions: 3buzzmable
If Frost fires him outright or asks him to look elsewhere, does it really make a difference? If Walters isn't coaching next year, as with DeWitt, it's likely because Frost doesn't want him to.
This is silly if you really believe this. Or arrogant.

If Walters goes elsewhere, it may be because he decided to go elsewhere. His future doesn’t have to be up to Frost. If he makes a lateral move or worse, you are likely right. But if he is offered an OC position where he actually calls the plays, that’s a step up. Or a HC position. Or if he wants to get closer to home... lots of reasons for someone to go elsewhere. It doesn’t automatically mean Frost didn’t want him.

You need to get off this kick and understand people do think for themselves and make their own decisions as well.

Kade Warner. Andre Hunt would have started. Not Walters' fault that Hunt was stupid. The play calling was not on Walters. That's all Frost trying to get our most explosive player the ball any way he could. So apparently Walters gets no credit for Warner, Hunt, Robinson, Spielman and how Morgan played his senior year. The jury is still out on the rest of those freshman receivers. I just don't get the disrespect for Walters. The guy gives us instant cred when he picks up the phone or walks in to a living room. Some people need to look in the mirror before they start tearing other people down. I was very happy to hear that Walters was coming on board here.
Not trying to be a d-bag but that was weak-sauce. How are you going to claim a guy that was a redshirt under coach-dub and a “should of could of” who never was as Walters strong points. That’s just sad on so many accounts. Blame recruiting by the past staff, fine. But let’s not hang his hat on Warner and Hunt. And yes, I look myself in the mirror every morning. If I did my job at an equivalent as 2 losing seasons, I’d be fired tomorrow. Say all you want about it, but the numbers don’t lie.

And yes Frost won’t fire the guy. He’s not that kind of man. But he could nudge him to maybe fine something elsewhere. Something hasn’t worked these last few seasons and it’s not all on the players.

and yes he’s only been here 2 years but players only get 4 years of eligibility. He doesn’t have all the time in the world with these guys

Last edited:
The #1 Answer is......Frost wants him. If Frost wants him, you should want him. He knows a helluva lot more about coaching WRs than any of us.

so that puts you on the record of saying Scott frost is perfect and doesn’t make mistakes

again man, I don’t mean to be disrespectful. I just don’t agree with your logic on that. Excellent people make bad hires all the time. Sometimes something that worked at one point doesn’t work at another. I don’t think Walters is a P5 OC and IMO I think Frost is blindsided by the job he did at UCF, a much different situation

Reactions: oldjar07
↑dinglefritz said:
The #1 Answer is......Frost wants him. If Frost wants him, you should want him. He knows a helluva lot more about coaching WRs than any of us.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
spinner4 replied:
so that puts you on the record of saying Scott frost is perfect and doesn’t make mistakes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a scale of 1 to 10 how do you rate Scott Frost as a WR coach?
On a scale of 1 to 10 how do you rate yourself as a WR coach?

Well then, if you're answer honestly, you know a lot less than the guy who isn't perfect.

Reactions: dinglefritz

again man, I don’t mean to be disrespectful. I just don’t agree with your logic on that. Excellent people make bad hires all the time. Sometimes something that worked at one point doesn’t work at another. I don’t think Walters is a P5 OC and IMO I think Frost is blindsided by the job he did at UCF, a much different situation
I mean I don’t have a leg to stand on in this argument... but I’d like to point out that I didn’t read any where were he said SF was perfect, or makes no mistakes... I see where he said is HCSF wants the person the you should too... I try to not make things more difficult then what they need to be so that means I take things for how they’re said, and I just don’t take that as him sayin HCSF is perfect and so t make mistakes... I take his statement as HCSF is the one in charge of hiring so if this is the guy HCSF wants or feels fits then you should just be happy and stop arguing, cuz it won’t change anything.... now granted he didn’t say that stuff either but I’m willing to bet I’m close to his intention was....

If Walters leaves it won't be because Frost fires him. The drum beat on this free board is silly. It's as if some of you are tired of your toys and want something new.

From the sounds of it (Rumor Mill) Frost actually was giving him a lessor role and it pissed him off. Thing is, he is pretty well paid at NU and isn't finding the same market. It'll be interesting to see what actually transpires as there is so much smoke around all of this, but no one really knows anything, It might get a bit awkward if there is a Co-OC here or even a shuffling of titles.

Reactions: CatColumbia
From the sounds of it (Rumor Mill) Frost actually was giving him a lessor role and it pissed him off. Thing is, he is pretty well paid at NU and isn't finding the same market. It'll be interesting to see what actually transpires as there is so much smoke around all of this, but no one really knows anything, It might get a bit awkward if there is a Co-OC here or even a shuffling of titles.
There won’t be any co offensive coordinators. If Walters stays you may have someone else come in as an analyst (Helfrich?) but that is all. And I doubt there is that much bad blood between Walters and Frost. If there were, I think Frost would have fired him. Frost is loyal to his coaches, but to the Nebraska football program first. And if he thought Walters needs to go then he will.

There won’t be any co offensive coordinators. If Walters stays you may have someone else come in as an analyst (Helfrich?) but that is all. And I doubt there is that much bad blood between Walters and Frost. If there were, I think Frost would have fired him. Frost is loyal to his coaches, but to the Nebraska football program first. And if he thought Walters needs to go then he will.

I'm just interested to see how it plays out. I know nothing about what is going on and just hear things through the rumor mill from good friends. To say there is no bad blood though might be a little naive. I don't think there is division by any means, but all of these guys are competitive guys. The last two seasons haven't gone probably like they thought it might and with that comes pressure and tough decisions the head man has to make. If, and that is a big if, he has made some decisions and there has been some reshuffling, there is going to be some bad blood. It can be worked through, but it is human nature to be a little pissed, and I think that amplifies with super competitive guys one being one of the top Assistant Coaches in the game a few years back as well as an award winning athlete.

I don’t think it is fair to say how much Hunt improved unless u watched practice. Do we know this improvement would have translated to game day? Just saying. And even if he started that could mean he is the best of a lot of bad receivers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT