ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Announcement

Jhollenbeck41

Graduate Assistant
Nov 29, 2018
Anyone with connections know when this announcement is possibly coming and in what format? We thinking today or tomorrow?

I wonder if it is Dawson back and then some shuffling of current staff?
I hope not but I wonder if that's it.

Haven't been reading much here lately. What is this in regard to or anticipating?

I stated last week it would be Dawson for OLB coach guys. Everyone I’ve talked to says the same thing. Doesn’t exactly thrill me.

Not sure about his coaching abilities but he does come from the NFL and he has good recruiting ties to the Northeast, something no one else has. Was the lead recruiter for Ty Rob and Nash Hut during his junior year.

I'd guess press release this afternoon, press conference tomorrow morning, which feeds into extended conversation/interviews about it tomorrow night on Sports Nightly

Good chance this will just be Dawson as OLB coach and Helfrich as an analyst?

Not sure about his coaching abilities but he does come from the NFL and he has good recruiting ties to the Northeast, something no one else has. Was the lead recruiter for Ty Rob and Nash Hut during his junior year.

His loyalty to Nebraska rubs me the wrong way. He may well be a good coach but will leave again as soon as an offer comes his way.

Helfrich coming in would make all the sense in the world. He got thrown under the bus here in Chicago because Mitch Trubisky isn't an NFL quarterback so naturally it must be the OC's fault. He and Frost have ties through Oregon. I never liked him for the Bears OC job, but I would like him having a role at NU quite a bit.

I can't believe I had no idea that Mickey Joseph was the LSU WRs coach, or that he's Vance Joseph's brother. If there were any substance to that rumor, it would explain a fair amount of timing that they needed to wait until after the title game to announce things. There's also no question that LSU's WR situation is light years ahead of Nebraska's.

If he was in a good situation here and wanted to stay for the long term, why leave? If Nebraska is where he really wanted to be, I don't think he would have left in the first place.
But, how much of him coaching LBs played into all this?
And, didn't he need one more year for benefits from the nfl?

Oldjar07 has his mind made up and no one will change it. It’s been said 27 different ways that Dawson left to get his pension... doesn’t matter. OldJar knows better.
I'll take the diabolical conspiracy theory for $100.
The staff knew our OLB coach was going to leave, so, knowing Dawson needed just one more year for nfl benefits, wished him well, as he was set up in the nfl by coaching LBs so when our coach left, he could come back, a happier richer and more experienced coach.
See? Eezy peezy

Reactions: timnsun
Is long as Walters is no longer in the building I’m GOOD.;)
What's your problem with Walters? IF you don't like the play calling you need to blame Frost. If you're concerned about WR development, you need to look at Warner. IF a kid is studious and willing to do the work, he can play. We landed some studs this year IMO at WR that hopefully will make our WR coach look quite a bit better. We needed to get bigger AND faster at WR. I don't think our shortcomings there this past year were necessarily Walters' fault. Remember, Hunt was slated to be a starter at WR before he lost his mind.

NFL coaches pension. No brainer.
I don't know what NFL coaches get for pension. An old friend of mine who played baseball in the 70s and never made more than 15K/year now gets 80K/year in pension money. I suspect Dawson had a very good reason to go after that guaranteed gravy train. I also think the NFL pension includes some health benefits as well even for coaches.

What's your problem with Walters? IF you don't like the play calling you need to blame Frost. If you're concerned about WR development, you need to look at Warner. IF a kid is studious and willing to do the work, he can play. We landed some studs this year IMO at WR that hopefully will make our WR coach look quite a bit better. We needed to get bigger AND faster at WR. I don't think our shortcomings there this past year were necessarily Walters' fault. Remember, Hunt was slated to be a starter at WR before he lost his mind.
Agreed. If Walters is leaving, it is of his own accord.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT