ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches on the road

Impressive offer list, especially Figueroa. Looks like the other site has them both ranked as 3-stars, with Viramontes, close to a 4-star.

Impressive offer list, especially Figueroa. Looks like the other site has them both ranked as 3-stars, with Viramontes, close to a 4-star.

Yep, they come from the inland valley, which is south of LA. There's a lot of talent from there that typically gets overlooked. Both could be a steal. At the same time, I hope they both bring the wood. We need tough B10 type players.

Reactions: HuskerWisdom
Frost in Georgia for in-home visit tonight with Jeremy James, offensive lineman who is committed to Ole Miss but took an official visit here.
Kind of odd to me that we are spending a lot more time in Georgia than Florida. I would have bet we would have had at least one commit from Florida by now.

Last edited:
Thank you @CoachChinander for stopping by the school today. Vic and Nic to Lincoln? #GBR #Blackshirts

DtCJ8VFUwAEQbM1.jpg

You may not find two junior college prospects who have different stories quite like Riverside (California) Community College's Nick Figueroa and Vic Viramontes.

But Nebraska, in need of defensive playmakers, wants both in its 2019 recruiting class.

NU defensive coordinator Erik Chinander stopped Tuesday at Riverside to see both prospects. So did a lot of college coaches, said Riverside coach Tom Craft.

"It's been a busy day," Craft said as Chinander met with the two players.

Viramontes, a 6-foot-2, 230-pound inside linebacker is in his second stint at Riverside. Last year, he played quarterback so well he signed with Minnesota, intending on starting for the Gophers. He transferred from UM last June, after spring camp, Craft said, because he decided he wanted to play linebacker in the NFL. He plays it well and now has offers from Nebraska, Mississippi, Missouri and TCU, among others.

Figueroa is a 6-5, 270-pound who arrived from Cal Poly, which signed him in 2017 after he'd played one year of high school football. Figueroa had focused on baseball for most of his prep career, switched right at
the end, and had 86 tackles and 12 sacks in his senior year at San Bernadino (California) Cajon High School.

Craft said Figueroa — an A-student and engineering major — quickly realized he could play at a higher level than Cal Poly. He went to Riverside and had 11 1/2 sacks this season playing end and tackle.

He's still rated as a low three-star junior college prospect, but his offer list — Nebraska, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, UCLA and more — indicates his actual value.

"The Inland Empire (east of Los Angeles) is over-recruited and under-evaluated, and Nick's a classic case of that," Craft said. "He's like a lot of kids who took the best offer available to them at the time."

Both players could bolster a run defense that allowed five yards per carry last season. NU also struggled to rush the quarterback. According to Football Outsiders, the Huskers' sack rate of 4.7 percent ranks 111th nationally.

In South Florida, outside linebackers coach Jovan Dewitt worked familiar territory and saw a familiar face.

Dewitt stopped by Lakeland High, where 2019 four-star pass-rusher Lloyd Summerall plays. Summerall, who has offers from all of the power players in Florida, visited Lincoln for the Michigan State game and saw snow for the first time.

Summerall has official visits lined up to Florida on Dec. 7 and Miami on Dec. 13, according to his 247Sports profile.
Further up the East Coast, defensive line coach Mike Dawson was in New Jersey to see fast-rising 2019 defensive end Smith Vilbert.

Vilbert, who confirmed the visit to the Journal Star, is listed at 6-foot-7 and 250 pounds and has seen his recruitment explode in recent months. He said he does not yet know if he will take an official visit to Nebraska and it’s unclear if he’ll sign in December or wait until February. As a guy garnering extensive interest late in the process, he might be a candidate to wait until the later signing date. Currently, he is slated to visit Oregon this weekend.
Dawson was also expected to see 2019 Husker verbal commit Rahmir Johnson, the standout running back at Bergen Catholic in Oradell, New Jersey, on Tuesday.

More Georgia time Tuesday: Several Nebraska coaches, including head coach Scott Frost, were expected to continue recruiting in the Atlanta area for a good chunk of Tuesday.

They were visiting a pair of verbal commits in running back Ronald Thompkins (Grayson High) and rangy defensive back Quinton Newsome (North Gwinnett). NU was set to meet with Thompkins, who missed all but one
half of one game with a knee injury this year, Tuesday afternoon.

Then coaches were meeting Newsome for an in-home visit Tuesday night evening.

I still am not sure how to read not visiting Bland right away since he visited FSU last week.

Thank you @CoachChinander for stopping by the school today. Vic and Nic to Lincoln? #GBR #Blackshirts

DtCJ8VFUwAEQbM1.jpg

Wow!! Played pickup basketball with this kid last summer. Had no idea he was a football player. He used to come in with some baseball players, so I figured he was just a baseball player. Must have put on a lot of weight in the past year as he looked closer to the 230-240 range.

As a small correction to a post above, these guys are not coming from south of LA but east of LA. Same area we got Quincy Enunwa, Eric Martin, Taylor Martinez, and Josh Mitchell from. Tyjon Lindsey also played in this area. Lot of good athletes out here. QB we offered this year Jayden Daniels goes to the same high school as Figueroa did. Pretty sure we offered 2 or 3 other kids at that school as well.

Kind of odd to me that we are spending a lot more time in Georgia than Florida. I would have bet we would have had at least one commit from Florida by now.
Lots of natural market opportunities for Frost's staff in Georgia. AND it snows and gets fairly cold occasionally there too. Maybe makes it a little easier to recruit to NU from there. The Atlanta area in particular is growing rapidly and there's a huge amount of talent there. I could be wrong but I believe the airline connections for a kid to get from Omaha/Lincoln is a bunch easier than from Florida too.

Reactions: saluno22
Wow!! Played pickup basketball with this kid last summer. Had no idea he was a football player. He used to come in with some baseball players, so I figured he was just a baseball player. Must have put on a lot of weight in the past year as he looked closer to the 230-240 range.

As a small correction to a post above, these guys are not coming from south of LA but east of LA. Same area we got Quincy Enunwa, Eric Martin, Taylor Martinez, and Josh Mitchell from. Tyjon Lindsey also played in this area. Lot of good athletes out here. QB we offered this year Jayden Daniels goes to the same high school as Figueroa did. Pretty sure we offered 2 or 3 other kids at that school as well.
Many moons ago a stocky guy with a Nebraska tee shirt was working out at my gym close to the Ontario (CA) airport. I talked to him and it turned out it was Angus McClure on a recruiting trip. His hotel had a deal with my gym. I didn't ask who he was recruiting and he didn't say, but I think we were after a Chaffey College JUCO DB at the time.

Lots of natural market opportunities for Frost's staff in Georgia. AND it snows and gets fairly cold occasionally there too. Maybe makes it a little easier to recruit to NU from there. The Atlanta area in particular is growing rapidly and there's a huge amount of talent there. I could be wrong but I believe the airline connections for a kid to get from Omaha/Lincoln is a bunch easier than from Florida too.
Pretty much everything down there goes through Atlanta or Charlotte

The FSU o-line coach recruited Bland out of HS and they apparently have a good relationship.
I knew that. I guess I don’t assume that means we will lose him. He has been committed to us since the Summer, so I assume he has a good relationship with Coach Austin.

I knew that. I guess I don’t assume that means we will lose him. He has been committed to us since the Summer, so I assume he has a good relationship with Coach Austin.

I can't speak for what Cat said, I was trying to throw some more light on the situation. I have no idea which way he is leaning.

Reactions: headcard
We had coaches recruiting in Arizona this week, but they didn't visit Bland. Rumor is that he might not graduate in December, and we don't want a JUCO OL if he's not here for spring ball.

In addition, Frost did an in-home visit with Jeremy James, high school OL committed to Ole Miss who visited here. Maybe Frost feels good about our O-Line next year and would rather add another high school lineman that Austin and Duval can develop long-term.

Winston Wright got out of economics class Wednesday morning because Scott Frost wanted to meet with him. The Nebraska coach offered him a scholarship a few minutes later.

It wasn't a total surprise to the two-way standout at Savannah (Ga.) Memorial Day. But it was still something to see Frost meet his parents and hear him describe how the 5-foot-11, 170-pounder could thrive as a slot receiver in NU's offense.

"I've been talking to the coaching staff," Wright told The World-Herald. "But he offered me at UCF too, so we had a relationship."

Wright committed to West Virginia in July and is a consensus three-star prospect with other Power Five offers from Illinois, Iowa State, Duke and Boston College, among others. He plans to take an official visit to Nebraska for the Dec. 7 weekend.

That trip, Wright said, will help determine whether he signs in the Dec. 19 early period or waits until February. He is on track to graduate in May.

"You can't just play around with recruiting. You gotta get serious with it," Wright said. "Now is the time to get serious with it. (This offer) makes me think, there's no doubt about it."
Wright won a pair of state titles with Memorial Day, though the team lost in the state semifinals last weekend. Former longtime Athletic Director Mark Sussman told The World-Herald he reminded Wright on Wednesday that West Virginia's football stadium holds 60,000 people and the Nebraska capacity is 92,000.

"Where do you wanna go?" Sussman asked his student. The former A.D. said Wright — known by many in the area as "Champ" — has the highlight reel of someone who belongs at a major program. He ran a verified 4.26-second shuttle at a Nike camp last summer.

"His path looks like a battlefield that somebody's just gone through," Sussman said. "He's one of these guys who jukes left, jukes right, stops, continues on. Guys dive at him and miss and he continues on. He's a big playmaker."

Nebraska currently has two 2019 receiver commits in Camas (Wash.) Union star Darien Chase and Blanchard (Okla.) speedster Jamie Nance.
Frost, who came alone to see Wright, spent the previous two days in Georgia. He visited cornerback target Tavian Mayo on Monday before making the rounds on Tuesday to current commits Ronald Thompkins and Quinton Newsome, plus Mississippi O-line commit Jeremy James.
DtG7meYXoAEwPAT.jpg

Dawson's logged serious miles. On Tuesday, he visited 6-7, 250-pound defensive end prospect Smith Vilbert in New Jersey along with running back Rahmir Johnson.

Late Tuesday night, Chinander offered juco defensive end Datona Jackson (College of the Desert in Palm Desert, California), who's listed at 6-5 and 260.

Frost, meanwhile, flew to Attalla, Alabama, on Wednesday to see three-star pass-rusher Jamin Graham, who is listed at 6-6 and 240.
It was part of a busy day for Frost, who went from Savannah to Alabama to see Graham before flying to Greenville, South Carolina, apparently to check in on offensive tackle/tight end Jimmy Fritzche.

On Thursday, Frost is joining Greg Austin and Ryan Held to see verbally committed tackle Matthew Anderson in Leesville, Louisiana, Anderson said Wednesday. If the week is any indication, that won't be the head coach's only stop.

Any word on how the in home visit with Noa Pola-Gates went last night? He is a big time get if we can pull him away from Bama. Has family in Lincoln.

Reactions: SC_'sker
OK, some updates:

It didn't take Tony Wallace long to set up a visit to Lincoln. The junior college defensive back, who is currently at Independence (Kan.) Community College announced Thursday on Twitter that he is planning to visit Lincoln this weekend.

Wallace, listed at 6-foot and 190 pounds, had two interceptions this fall.

Originally from Las Vegas, Wallace was an NU recruit out of high school, but ultimately signed with Arizona in Feb. 2017. He instead wound up in junior college, though, and now has Power Five attention for the second time.

He first announced he had an offer from the Huskers in October. He also sports offers from Minnesota, Toledo and others.
DtM2x2fU4AAHJkN.jpg
Nebraska Visit Tomorrow! #GBR
1f440.png
1f534.png
1f4a8.png

Arizona heat: Arizona was an activity center for the Huskers on Wednesday. Not only did defensive coordinator Erik Chinander and defensive line coach Mike Dawson see four-star defensive end Ty Robinson (Gilbert, Arizona), but the Huskers also spent time with fellow Gilbert standout, four-star defensive back Noa Pola-Gates.

Pola-Gates confirmed late Wednesday that Chinander, secondary coach Travis Fisher and quarterbacks coach Mario Verduzco were in to see him.

Robinson and Pola-Gates are high on NU's list and the Huskers are competing with Alabama for each. Robinson's high school coach told the Journal Star on Wednesday that the Huskers had secured the final in-home visit with the 6-foot-6, 285-pounder before the contact period ends in mid-December (just before National Signing Day), so perhaps Frost will see Pola-Gates on the same day.

Welcome to Friday's recruiting ticker.

Nebraska is expected to host a few visitors this weekend, so you'll start to see some of the staff make their way back to Lincoln today.

The official visitors are expected to include longtime NU verbal commits Ethan Piper (Norfolk Catholic) and Garrett Snodgrass (York) as well as junior college cornerback Tony Wallace (Independence, Kansas) and pass-rusher Jamin Graham (Atalla, Alabama).

To the updates.

Not surprisingly, it appears head coach Scott Frost is making the most of his travel back toward the Midwest by seeing a pair of priority-type 2020 prospects.
Frost left Houston this morning and headed to Lawrence, Kansas. That, of course, is the home of four-star tackle Turner Corcoran.

Frost and offensive line coach Greg Austin are both at Free State High to see Corcoran, a top-100 prospect, this morning, according to teacher and coach Sam Stroh.

Corcoran is one of the most sought-after prospects in the region, is listed at 6-foot-6 and 280 pounds and has offers from Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia and many others. He's been a regular on campus in Lincoln, visiting for multiple games this fall as well as spring and summer trips.

Then Frost is expected to be off to South Dakota to see Nash Hutmacher, another four-star lineman in the 2020 class.

Hutmacher is listed at 6-foot-5 and 285 pounds and is also a talented wrestler.

So, a good chunk of the week spent in SEC territory, but Frost and company are also making sure to see the guys
they want that are in the 500-mile radius.

Juco national title game: Nebraska appears to have been well-represented at the junior college national championship game on Thursday night in Pittsburg, Kansas.

Running backs coach Ryan Held and offensive coordinator Troy Walters saw East Mississippi Community College top Garden City (Kansas) Community College, 10-9.

The Huskers, of course, had a commit playing in the game in GCCC running back Dedrick Mills. Mills rushed 28 times for 70 yards and scored GCCC's lone touchdown of the night in the fourth quarter.

Walters also had plenty to watch. NU 2018 wide receiver signee Dominick Watt, who did not qualify and ended up in Garden City, caught one pass for GCCC, who threw the ball only occasionally the entire season and completed only two passes in the title game.

Another potentially intriguing name that Walters was able to get eyes on: EMCC receiver Dontario Drummond, who has caught 21 touchdowns in his two seasons at the school.

Drummond has offers from Kansas, Colorado State, Toledo and others but does not have a known Nebraska offer yet. NU is familiar with EMCC, of course, as they got Mike Williams from there last year.
Robinson announcing on Dec. 19: Top NU target Ty Robinson is announcing his college decision on National Signing Day at his school, AZCentral.com reported.

The Huskers will get the last shot with the four-star defensive end, too. Eddy Zubey told the Journal Star earlier this week that Frost and NU had wrapped up the final in-home visit with Robinson before the contact period ends the weekend before signing day.

Robinson is also considering USC, Alabama and Oregon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT