ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Stewart on DBs

Chaz in SoCal

Assistant Head Coach
Apr 15, 2014
Q: What reports from Coach Phillips are you getting on your guys? Are they working hard, getting after it?

Coach Stewart: Yeah, I'm excited. We had some guys who did real well on the bench. That's always good. We're always bench pressing receivers off the line of scrimmage so that's a good deal. As far as speed wise, I think we're getting faster. So I'm excited to get them out there in training camp and see how it goes.

Q: Let's talk about Nate Gerry. Let's talk about those safety positions. He's probably got one secured barring injury -- and I'm kinda knocking on wood here for you -- but what about the safety spots. Talk about that.

Coach Stewart: I think we got some pretty good guys out there. Byerson Cockrell, who started for us this spring, is coming off an injury that he suffered in the spring game. I think he's pretty well ready and acclimated to what we're doing and being healthy.

The next guy probably to swing in there would be Aaron Williams. I mean, I'm pretty excited about him. He came in, he should have been going to his prom but he's at spring football. That tells you what kind of dedication he has to the game. He continues to make us happy.

Q: Keiron Williams Is also in that mix back there. He's a guy we saw play some special teams a year ago. Where is he in his development?

Coach Stewart: I think Keiron's doing a good job. He's trying to be a leader. To get guys together to watch film with him as well as having different groups outside to walk through stuff. So he's developing well as a leader. He just needs to be out there more. As far as the football stuff he has the football IQ. He just has to keep getting out there. I think he's going to be one of the guys who will push to be a starter.

(More to come. Up next: Corners)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News