ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Kaz, the gift that keeps on giving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad Bo and his staff are gone. That said, this story makes me sad for Kaz and for his family. Remember people, in this country you are innocent until proven guilty and none of us on here knows the whole story. I am NOT saying that ANYTHING justifies domestic violence against women. But I am saying that we should not rush to judgement and that we should all show a measure of respect for this man and his family. Domestic violence destroys families. By all previous accounts Kaz had a happy family. If these charges are true then it is a sign that his family has deep, deep problems. I for one will pray that this family can heal and remain intact. I wish Kaz and his family nothing but peace in that endeavor, if that is their wish.

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
This finally puts solid proof to the whole "these were good guys" crap we kept hearing. People comparing Bo or his staff to Osborne and his are completely off their rockers. There is no sane person who honestly believes that. Enough with this whole "Nebraska is dead" bullshit. Bo made sure Nebraska died by ignoring Osborne after he was kind enough to hire him after axing Callahan.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I think everyone knows where I stand with the old staff, but it still isn't fait to paint them all as "bad guys" because of this. We had some quality people on that staff: Warren, Garrison, Brown, Fisher all seemed like class acts. They just didn't get the job done on the field.

Right now, he's wishing he had looked harder and/or accepted another job instead of sitting this season out.

He will now face a significant challenge when looking for employment.

Originally posted by HuskerJack95:

Were the Io_a fans right when they told us what a loose cannon he was?
Considering all reports from players in Lincoln, I'd say they had sour grapes.

I'm afraid they were.

One of my best buddies played for Iowa and told me all about coach Kaz.
ohwell.r191677.gif

Originally posted by chicolby:
Right now, he's wishing he had looked harder and/or accepted another job instead of sitting this season out.

Agree. Times have changed. Coaches like Dan McCarney used to be able to live stuff like this down. I'm not sure coaches will be given a 2nd chance any more for crimes like this. Kaz better hope that the charges get dropped.

Not saying they're comparable, but Greg Hardy's case got dropped when the alleged victim declined to cooperate. There is definite motivation to get things like this dropped if there's an obvious financial penalty to be paid in future career earnings.

Adding my obligatory, what the f***.

Damn this guy is trash. Felt the vibe of a raging asshole from the 2 times I met him.

Sad to be confirmed, even sadder he takes it out on his wife.

His coaching career is done.

To Iowa's credit, I don't see a single thread on their board talking about this. I thought for sure there would be a lot of Iowa fans that took pleasure in this gross story, because their split wasn't exactly on the best of terms. Combined with where Kaz went, I expected to see some trash talking over there.

You must've overlooked this one Lite. Not a whole lot of spewing our way but there is some discusion on it.

link

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:

To Iowa's credit, I don't see a single thread on their board talking about this. I thought for sure there would be a lot of Iowa fans that took pleasure in this gross story, because their split wasn't exactly on the best of terms. Combined with where Kaz went, I expected to see some trash talking over there.
They lost three out of four games to a coach we just fired. They do not want to talk about Nebraska right now lol.

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
ETA on Kaz landing in Youngstown? Thursday... Friday...?
LOL! I thought the same exact thing. He should join the clown show at YSU. What an absolute disgrace this staff was. I can't believe at one point that they roamed our sidelines and represented the state of Nebraska. No amount of wins in the world would have made it justifiable to keep them. Thank God Eichorst pulled the trigger this year.

Sometimes where there's smoke, there's fire. There was a LOT of noise about this guy being a red-a$$ and being very hard on his players. I think football is a culture where you have to be really really really hard on your players before people will start wondering aloud if it's out of line.

Looks like he was not fully in control of himself. Very sad to see kids in the middle of a situation like that.

Except for Chase Rome and Curry. The previous staff didn't necessarily take the high road with their explanation, did they. In retrospect, revealing, just as the outrageous Iowa DL attrition was. We were essentially told Rome and Curry weren't good enough or tough enough. There are other sides to these stories, and PT isn't it. We all get it that football isn't tiddlywinks, but the track record is what it is, regardless of the easy barbs to throw at Iowa.

Forget football, I hope Kaz gets the help he needs and the family can work through this. Right now kids have a hurt mom and a dad in jail.

A dark era in Nebraska football, darker than anyone wanted to admit or realized, is hopefully over.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:

Originally posted by 500mileRadius:
I think anyone ever associated with Pelini who is charged with a misdemeanor should be killed.
I am guessing you are trying to be funny, but this is really stupid to say!

Not trying to pick on you here, but reports from players are completely immaterial if these charges are true. If they are, I think it's safe to say the Iowa folks were spot-on..

Send Rick Grimes after Coach Kaz!

tumblr_nlob7bXqIM1ru34cuo1_500.png

This post was edited on 3/23 1:36 PM by TrogdorNU

I am 100% serious. I would have no problem if anyone ever associated with Pelini were rounded up and executed like the Romanovs. They never respected our traditions and are a blight on our history.

Thank God at least this new staff gets it.

Originally posted by cecilB:

Except for Chase Rome and Curry. The previous staff didn't necessarily take the high road with their explanation, did they.
The same Chase Rome that got in two fights with John Papuchis, the last one being in Pasadena following the UCLA game moments before the team boarded the bus? Or are you referring to a different Chase Rome? Not sure where you're getting your information from but on this topic, you couldn't be more wrong.

Curry, remember who broke the news on him leaving, one week in to fall camp last year. Yours truly.

Originally posted by St. Anger:

His coaching career is done.
As it should be. This psychopath has no business being around kids.

Originally posted by cecilB:

In retrospect, revealing, just as the outrageous Iowa DL attrition was. We were essentially told Rome and Curry weren't good enough or tough enough. There are other sides to these stories, and PT isn't it. We all get it that football isn't tiddlywinks, but the track record is what it is, regardless of the easy barbs to throw at Iowa.
It was broken down before and here it is again. The DL players signed while Kaz coached at Iowa (2008 class to 2011 class)....

Joe Gaglione - finished career at Iowa on DLJ.D. Griggs - played TE (not defense)Riley Reiff - played OTJason Semmes - transferred after one year Dominic Alvis - finished career at Iowa on DLScott Covert - moved to FB and left after a couple yearsMike Hardy - finished career at Iowa on DLLouis Trinca-Pasat - finished career at Iowa on DLCarl Davis - finished career at Iowa on DLAnthony Ferguson - no record of him in his first year (transfer to Drake?)Donovan Johnson - redshirt and transferRiley McMinn - finished career at Iowa on DLJohn Raymond - transferred during freshmen year, rumored to have academic issues (IWCC and Syracuse)Dean Tsopanides - played for Kaz, unknown what happened his senior year which was 2 years after Kaz leftDarian Cooper - redshirted under Kaz, played for 2 years after Kaz left
Iowa had 30 players leave from the 94 that were signed from 2008 through 2011. Thirty players left. Three-Zero. 30. Not only that, from the 07-08-09 classes, Iowa had 27 players either quit or transfer. Twenty Seven left. Twenty-Seven. 27.

But for some reason, people look just at Kaz like he was a problem and players left solely because of him?!?! I mean, seriously, the numbers don't lie.

Their 2005 class had 14 of 23 players never finish at Iowa. IIRC, it just so happens that was their best class in (Rivals) history. Did all 14 players leave because of Kaz? Seriously, did they?!?!

Or maybe, just maybe, Iowa football had deeper problems and the Iowa fans couldn't deal with reality. Nah, that can't be, can it?!?!

This post was edited on 3/23 2:48 PM by HuskerTimOmaha

Originally posted by Hoosker Du:

Not trying to pick on you here, but reports from players are completely immaterial if these charges are true. If they are, I think it's safe to say the Iowa folks were spot-on..
You have a long ways to go to pick on someone like me. Reports from players on the type of coach he is, which is what I've stated from day one, is very material regardless of the charges.

wow, what a raging idiot..

thing is, there are lots of these kinds of guys in football, lots of them

he better learn how to control himself before he gets into much more serious trouble than even this

You have a long ways to go to pick on someone like me. Reports from players on the type of coach he is, which is what I've stated from day one, is very material regardless of the charges.
Tim, I was being nice, but since you felt that you needed to pipe up, I'll have to put you in your place...again. Sorry, but you'll learn soon. Do you remember when I said that I just get out of the way and allow you to look silly on your own? Well, your first comment and this comment is where I just get out of the way and allow you to go full-on remedial on your own.

Let me explain, so you'll understand next time. You responded to someone that was referring to him being a loose cannon, which would imply that you were responding on whether he is a "loose cannon" or not, so any talk of his coaching abilities IS NOT pertinent to this discussion. And whether or not they think he is an upstanding guy IS NOT pertinent to this discussion. If players that are 18-22 years old are asked if the coach they play for is a great guy, what are they usually going to say? We're talking about the same kids that think Bo Pelini is a great guy. You know, the guy that goes postal on the sideline...the guy that called our AD a c**t when he was dismissed. Bo Pelini is not a good guy, and it very much appears that Kaz is not a good guy. Pardon me if I question the judgement of young 18-22 year old football players.

What I'm saying is that once a guy is involved in domestic violence, any testimonial coming from 18-22 year old kids is almost immediately invalidated. Are you starting to 'get it' yet?

Tim, I was being nice, but since you felt that you needed to pipe up, I'll have to put you in your place...again. Sorry, but you'll learn soon. Do you remember when I said that I just get out of the way and allow you to look silly on your own? Well, your first comment and this comment is where I just get out of the way and allow you to go full-on remedial on your own.

Let me explain, so you'll understand next time. You responded to someone that was referring to him being a loose cannon, which would imply that you were responding on whether he is a "loose cannon" or not, so any talk of his coaching abilities IS NOT pertinent to this discussion. And whether or not they think he is an upstanding guy IS NOT pertinent to this discussion. If players that are 18-22 years old are asked if the coach they play for is a great guy, what are they usually going to say? We're talking about the same kids that think Bo Pelini is a great guy. You know, the guy that goes postal on the sideline...the guy that called our AD a c**t when he was dismissed. Bo Pelini is not a good guy, and it very much appears that Kaz is not a good guy. Pardon me if I question the judgement of young 18-22 year old football players.

What I'm saying is that once a guy is involved in domestic violence, any testimonial coming from 18-22 year old kids is almost immediately invalidated. Are you starting to 'get it' yet?
There is nothing to learn from people like you. You think you know something when it's obvious you don't.

Iowa fans were talking about him being a loose cannon as a coach, which forced many players to transfer (see my additional posts for further bullshit called on Iowa fans, and any Huskers that believed it). I don't recall any Iowa fans saying he was a loose cannon physically abusive to his wife. So while you tried, and failed, to be cute with a response, it's another notch against you. No worries, it's a common theme with you.

As an example, since you struggle to get it and brought him up, Bo Pelini is also a loose cannon on the field. That doesn't automatically make him guilty of domestic violence or someone that would be charged with domestic violence. I've never once asked a player if Kaz was a great guy, nor would I, that is you putting words on me that were never stated. I've always asked and talked about his coaching style, and his ability to get players to the next level. These are not just reports from players but their families as well, what I've heard from multiple coaches and/or former players that have attended practices and coaches film sessions, plus what I've personally witnessed with my own eyes attending practices over the years. Understand one thing, while you speculate, I'm giving multiple first hand reports not just from many different people involved but what I've personally witnessed as well. And that doesn't include a former DL player at Iowa, under Kaz, that has worked for me the last 3 1/2 years.

Your response is irrelevant to my comments, I've got it long before you even thought about this subject.

This post was edited on 3/23 3:16 PM by HuskerTimOmaha

Originally posted by 500mileRadius:
I am 100% serious. I would have no problem if anyone ever associated with Pelini were rounded up and executed like the Romanovs. They never respected our traditions and are a blight on our history.

Thank God at least this new staff gets it.
If I like the new staff, do I have to agree with this?

There is nothing to learn from people like you. You think you know something when it's obvious you don't.

Iowa fans were talking about him being a loose cannon as a coach, which forced many players to transfer (see my additional posts for further bullshit called on Iowa fans, and any Huskers that believed it). I don't recall any Iowa fans saying he was a loose cannon physically abusive to his wife. So while you tried, and failed, to be cute with a response, it's another notch against you. No worries, it's a common theme with you.

As an example, since you struggle to get it and brought him up, Bo Pelini is also a loose cannon on the field. That doesn't automatically make him guilty of domestic violence or someone that would be charged with domestic violence. I've never once asked a player if Kaz was a great guy, nor would I, that is you putting words on me that were never stated. I've always asked and talked about his coaching style, and his ability to get players to the next level. These are not just reports from players but their families as well, what I've heard from multiple coaches and/or former players that have attended practices and coaches film sessions, plus what I've personally witnessed with my own eyes attending practices over the years. Understand one thing, while you speculate, I'm giving multiple first hand reports not just from many different people involved but what I've personally witnessed as well. And that doesn't include a former DL player at Iowa, under Kaz, that has worked for me the last 3 1/2 years.

Your response is irrelevant to my comments, I've got it long before you even thought about this subject.

This post was edited on 3/23 3:16 PM by HuskerTimOmaha
You can not be this obtuse. It's just not possible for the human mind to miss the point so many times in a row. The issue of domestic violence trumps anything players, fans, you, or any of your relation have seen in person. If he is guilty of domestic violence, no number of testimonials can support him not being a loose cannon. At least as it pertains to what the poster was referencing. The Iowa fans are right, and you are wrong. Sorry, you just are...and I'm astounded that you continue to miss the point.

Obtuse, such a cute word from someone like you. It's obvious you're the potato with a reading and comprehension problem.

I didn't defend his actions by what players stated and I've never commented against him being a loose cannon. All I've commented about is him as a coach and the bullshit Iowa fans stated about him although never backed up with facts. And that's exactly what my response to HJ95 was about.

If you're still struggling to understand this, leave the bun dressing station and ask your co-worker currently on fry duty for help.

The fact this guy is from the old staff does not in my mind reflect on anybody on the old staff except Kaz. It does highlight that the entire Pelini machine sometimes had the perception of being made up of misfit toys. I would prefer my team is not coached by the squirt gun that shoots jelly and the Charlie in the box.

I feel very sorry for the wife and kids. Having an abusive husband is humiliating enough. Having your problems splattered all over every newspaper in the state has to be mortifying.

ATTN: Hoosker Du and HuskerTimOmaha

Obtuse, such a cute word from someone like you. It's obvious you're the potato with a reading and comprehension problem.

I didn't defend his actions by what players stated and I've never commented against him being a loose cannon. All I've commented about is him as a coach and the bullshit Iowa fans stated about him although never backed up with facts. And that's exactly what my response to HJ95 was about.

If you're still struggling to understand this, leave the bun dressing station and ask your co-worker currently on fry duty for help.

ATTN: All Husker fans who would like to know the truth about Coach Kaz and Iowa.
I read on the Hawkeye site that Coach Kaz was invovled in a 3rd degree Domestic
assault charge. Apprently he threw a pictuer at his wife and cut her head? Well,
first off I will say that this isn't a surprise to me at all.

Coach Kaz isn't the most deplorable human being in the world, but he certainly
isn't one of the best. This incident certainly does more to show him in a new
light that many either refuse to see, or simply didn't know.

Now I'm seeing a lot of bickering on here, so in the spirit of the truth, I will
shed light on the situation.

The rumors you heard about Kaz at Iowa are VERY true. He was a VERY abrasive and
negative coach while at Iowa. Not at first, but as time went, he got worse and worse.
Especially during his last season. Now there were several small incidents, but the one
that stood out most was just before the first time we played you guys when you joined.
I believe it was the Northwestern game, and there was an altercation between him and
former SS Jordan Bernstine.

It started off with Kaz losing his damn mind in the locker room and berating the players
in a less than respectable way. Jordan who was already worked up about the game itself,
basically got up and let Coach Kaz have it verbally. Coach Kaz lashed back of
course, and from there it got physical. It quickly got broken up, but a couple of missed
punches were thrown, and both were told to back off and cool off. From what I heard, they
basically never spoke again. KF by the way, was NOT pleased by this. This caused some
serious backlash in the locker room. A few players in particular went straight to KF about
what they thought of this incident, and in this case their voices were heard.

Kaz had a way of rubbing people the wrong way, and MANY, MANY former players players will
tell you this. If you were to ask most of their opinions on what THEY REALLY thought of him,
the consensus was that he was a good coach, but he was a complete #@$#$#!! A couple of coaches
had an issue with his style as well, but it was the Bernstine issue that sealed his fate. His
search for another job was known to some, but wasn't really made clear until he switched to
Nebraska. This also was not a surprise to some people. Word is KF made it clear, that he was going
to go another direction, and offered a 'quite as possible' door out.

You see most coaches scream and yell. It's another thing though to insult and a demean. Especially when the situation didn't
even really call for screaming or yelling at all. Kaz had a trigger that once it flipped on, it
stayed on, and would he could become unreasonably harsh. This has noted by many people in observance
of Iowa practices during his days. If he changed up his routine at Nebraska a bit, I wouldn't be surprised.
I would think he was smart enough to realize that the ire he drew at Iowa was for a reason.

KF has a tendency to keep things quiet, and this situation was no exception. Though Coach Kaz and
his move to Nebraska were in the media, the background story behind it was less out in the open. I will say
though that the rumors will fly regardless, and word of his attitude and demeanor were running rampant WAY
before him going to Nebraska was even a thought. There were many stories and posts about him on Hawkeye
Lounge, and some managed to hit the football board from time to time.

Now in regards to his relation to the DL attrition at Iowa...............

I offer John Raymons story. NOT RAYMOND,by the way. Posted is a link to article with Raymon explaining one of the reasons for his leaving,and he very clearly points out Coach Kaz. Joe Gaglione also spoke with the media at one time,
and explained how he thought the overall atmosphere had changed for the better when Coach Morgan took
over the DL coaching position. Now there was another player in particular who DID NOT like Kaz at
all. He was a younger player at the time, and he spoke very frankly with me about Kaz and why he
didn't like him. Let's just say, I'm surprised more players didn't almost fight him. I know some of them most
definitely wanted to. How much he personally affected the attrition is anyones guess, but he did in fact
have an affect, despite what some may say.

There are also several players who would tell you all you wanted to know if you ever wanted to talk to
them. Mike Daniels has spoken out and he says positive things, though I can tell you personally, he would
also say negative things if he wasn't such a professional. Clayborn, Binns, Ballard, etc. would all tell
you that Coach Kaz was one of two things. Hated or Loved, with little in between. Well maybe, a little
more grey if you ask me. Most either despised him or tolerated him, and a few did in fact like him.

Colin Sandeman, a former WR, also posted on twitter about the current issue Kaz is facing. And his tweet
will give you some more insight to how Kaz was perceived while here. It will also match what I'm saying.
It's rare that you have a Hawkeye player or even a former player speak about out. A habit they learn from the
KF way of dealing with media and leaving drama at the door. I doubt Sandeman will be the only to comment on
this though. Expect to hear nothing from KF and Co though.

So in conclusion, the rumors about Kaz at Iowa are VERY true. This wasn't something made up by the fans, and it
certainly wasn't because we felt a loss when he left. Many were very relieved when he left, and so were many of
the players themselves. This is a fact, this isn't my take on it. Personally, I thought he could be a good coach
and understood how to build from the basics that would eventually turn people into NFL caliber players. But his
method was extreme, and the personal nature of his verbal attacks were VERY unprofessional.

Think of it this way. You heard the rumors of him from some of us(a couple of years ago), when he got there. Since he was there, there were rumors he still was harsh(though I don't know for sure), he had a verbal altercation with a coach on the sidelines during his last coached game at Nebraska, the rumored Village Inn incident, and now this.

I think it's safe to say that Coach Kaz has some issues that were more than rumor and most definitely found their way into the public eye while at Nebraska. It was only a matter of time. Case Closed.

I hope this clear things up and offers some answers for those who are curious.

Not a fan of Kaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT