ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Frost Tweet

does that go for the coaches too?
Very good question. I have re-watched it a few times and there were some interesting comments made by the master.

- if you do what you need to Mon-Thurs, the winning will take care of itself on Sat.
- if you have to play the games, why not just decide to win them all.
- 60% of the season is determined by the time fall practice begins.
- what kind of price are you willing to pay.
- the talent is here to play with anyone.
- the question is…what do you do with what talent you have?

He starts the videos stating that during his tenure he never had a losing season, never missed a bowl game, and won over 80% of their games. This is nearly the opposite of Scott’s tenure.

It may be TO’s sage way of saying “if you can't get it done this year, it’s going to get more difficult to support you leading this program. Keep in mind the reasons he gave for relieving Bill Callahan of his duties.

Last edited:
Very good question. I have re-watched it a few times and there were some interesting comments made by the master.

- if you do what you need to Mon-Thurs, the winning will take care of itself on Sat.
- 60% of the season is determined by the time fall practice begins.

He starts the videos stating that during his tenure he never had a losing season, never missed a bowl game, and won over 80% of their games. This is nearly the opposite of Scott’s tenure.

It may be TO’s sage way of saying “if you can't get it done this year, it’s going to get more difficult to support you leading this program. Keep in mind the reasons he gave for relieving Bill Callahan of his duties.
I thought about this video while I mowed the lawn this morning. The more I thought about it, the odder it seemed. Those of us who grew up in the Osborne era learned to decipher "Osborne speak". He told it like it was, but you had to really pay attention. "We gave up more passing yards than a guy would like" meant he was calling out the defense because the pass defense sucked. If he said "I'm not sure the concentration was there" he meant the three false start penalties were unacceptable. In this case, there is no doubt in my mind that what started out by the media department to be a motivational clip harkening back to the glory days ended up by TO flat out calling Frost and his program out.

I thought about this video while I mowed the lawn this morning. The more I thought about it, the odder it seemed. Those of us who grew up in the Osborne era learned to decipher "Osborne speak". He told it like it was, but you had to really pay attention. "We gave up more passing yards than a guy would like" meant he was calling out the defense because the pass defense sucked. If he said "I'm not sure the concentration was there" he meant the three false start penalties were unacceptable. In this case, there is no doubt in my mind that what started out by the media department to be a motivational clip harkening back to the glory days ended up by TO flat out calling Frost and his program out.
Interesting take. I personally wouldn't say your definitely right here but probable. I had not thought of it much until now. Why would he do this now? Was he speaking to recruits or N players?

I usually default to Occam's Razor and my 1st impression was simply that what happened in the past here can happen again now this year, and that TO was trying to motivate the players or sell to recruits.

Last edited:
LOL. You see what you want to see. As someone who has been done with Frost for a while now, I’m not surprised that this is your take.

Husker.Wed: “ Osborne is calling the coaching staff and the program out.”

Frost says, “Thanks, Coach”.

Doesn’t seem as though he was feeling called out.

LOL. You see what you want to see. As someone who has been done with Frost for a while now, I’m not surprised that this is your take.

Frost has been pretty clueless in his time at Nebraska. Constructive criticism going over his head is not entirely shocking.

No matter the intent - Osborne seems to believe everything is in place to succeed. The question is, does he think six wins, seven wins, or eight wins is success?

Interesting to see I’m not the only one who watched this and immediately thought ‘Did TO just call-out Frost?’

Nothing would make me happier than to see the Huskers take a major step forward this year, but if it’s more of the same then it will make for a very interesting offseason.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES

What did you say to your dad when he told there is a certain way to do things in order to achieve success and you have been struggling? Me, personally I would say ok and be put off and then reflect. Maybe that's what Scott is doing is reflecting and will make some changes that will be beneficial. That's my hope anyway.

This had zero to do with Frost or coaches. IMO of course.

What did you say to your dad when he told there is a certain way to do things in order to achieve success and you have been struggling? Me, personally I would say ok and be put off and then reflect. Maybe that's what Scott is doing is reflecting and will make some changes that will be beneficial. That's my hope anyway.
I agree with this… my greater point was that people are going to see what they want to see in that video.

Maybe he was calling the coaches out. Or maybe he was saying the pieces are in place and we will start to turn the corner. We can all assume what Osborne meant, but here’s what I believe.

If you are a Frost apologist, the video was good. If you are done with Frost, the video was calling Frost out. Only Osborne truly knows what he meant.

I don't think Osborne was calling anyone out. I do think him saying this team has the talent to win now is a loud statement, however. Osborne still attends practices weekly during the season, so he sees more than just the 3 hour Saturday glimpses most of us get and he's not a guy who talks just to talk.
Awesome mid June Kool Aide!

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
I am not sure it was calling Frost out. I am sure they have had plenty of private conversations where he could have done that if he wanted to. I wouldn't doubt that he has told Frost the talent is there, these are all your players now, go get the job done.

I agree that we all read into it the way we want to read into it. What I do think is that Osborne is done with the excuses by saying things like (paraphrasing), the talent is there, if you don't want to prepare... see ya, 60% of the battle is won before the season starts. I think it is more of a wake up call to the entire group than calling Frost out specifically.

I don't know if TO was calling out Frost specifically, but he definitely was calling out that the program wasn't where it should be. He's also saying that the team can and should be better with the talent it has. And he's absolutely right, it doesn't start on Saturdays. It starts in the off-season and how you prepare Monday-Friday will determine >95% how you play on Saturday.

Reactions: huskerfan66

When I look in the mirror to shave each morning this is what I see. Are you implying my vision may not be on par with reality?
images

People reading too much into Osborne's words. Releasing this video now is basically a message to the players that the next couple months are crucial. Don't fall out of shape partying/drinking and do as much preparation now as possible.

People reading too much into Osborne's words. Releasing this video now is basically a message to the players that the next couple months are crucial. Don't fall out of shape partying/drinking and do as much preparation now as possible.
Agree, it crossed my mind that Bo would have these come to Jesus talks in season, and the team would rally.. this one seems long overdue and probably only addresses the summer as you say.

It was a graduation speech. He wasn’t talking to Frost or the team, he was giving the last lecture to the graduating class of 2021 before they tackle the world

It was a graduation speech. He wasn’t talking to Frost or the team, he was giving the last lecture to the graduating class of 2021 before they tackle the world
Dear graduates:

- let me tell you about my football accomplishments.
- 60% of the season is determined by the time fall practice begins in August.

Weird graduation speech - but maybe TO believes that’s Saturday’s are the culmination of a weeks work in the real world… and maybe starting practice in August is code word for when you start your new job?

Dear graduates:

Weird graduation speech - but maybe TO believes that’s Saturday’s are the culmination of a weeks work in the real world… and maybe starting practice in August is code word for when you start your new job?
Or maybe…

- I’ve been a football coach all my life.
- Let me tell you how I found success on the field through hard work and dedication.
- By working hard early and often, we were well prepared on the day projects were due.
- It led to tremendous success throughout my career.
- No matter what your job is, be dedicated to your craft and give it your best and you will be successful.

We’re you expecting the coach to talk about working at TD Ameritrade or something? It should surprise no one that he would give a speech about how he found success in football, since that’s what he did for 25 years.

I guess I don’t find it weird at all that he gave a speech about football, applying it to life. That’s what people want to hear about when he talks. Football. Not his time spent as a congressman, or anything else he may have done apart from football.

Just my thoughts…

Reactions: egaRdeR
When I look in the mirror to shave each morning this is what I see. Are you implying my vision may not be on par with reality?
images
Did you really just google images of Fabio for this post? I mean, with all of the handsome young men out there and you chose him? That seems really...

Oh wait, never mind. This post is worse than your googling. Carry on.

Oh but that sly old dog has a way of saying stuff without actually saying stuff. I really like his unsaid dig on Kim Jong-Un and subtle jab on climate change.

He sure has a way.

• Haha
Reactions: timnsun
Dear graduates:

I think it is a pretty clear analogy. You get out of life what you put into it. Don't waste your talent with lack of effort and dedication.

He was one of the best college coaches in history. Kinda makes sense he would tie a graduation speech to his football experience.

Reactions: timnsun
Not sure exactly what Tom was trying to get too here. The audience he addressed with this speech maybe? Was it a fund raiser? Was it to address the Beef Club? Calming the waters maybe? Reassuring the current players that they can do it they put forth the effort? A message to the coaching staff, probably.

Let’s hope that the ears it was to address were listening. We all need to see this ship turn in the right direction. Many have there careers on the line , both coaches and players .

100% wrong. He was talking in the football team meeting room. Not to graduates but to the players.
Yes, I stand corrected- here’s the grad speech. It too was outstanding. https://mediahub.unl.edu/media/16869

hey scarlet - born in Nebraska, live in Nebraska, season ticket holder at Nebraskasice 1969 when I was entering kindergarten, and yes a graduate of the University of Iowa

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT