ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Frost Tweet

If you don't know what happened with Solich, why on Earth did you imply that he was fired for some scandal involving the cheer squad? And while Frank's banging of coeds was the worst-kept secret on campus for more than 20 years, comparing him Jerry Sandusky is perhaps the single dumbest thing I've ever read here - and that's saying something.
I'm not comparing them, I'm simply saying bigger secrets have been kept.

Last edited:
If you don't know what happened with Solich, why on Earth did you imply that he was fired for some scandal involving the cheer squad? And while Frank's banging of coeds was the worst-kept secret on campus for more than 20 years, comparing him Jerry Sandusky is perhaps the single dumbest thing I've ever read here - and that's saying something.
Perhaps that was unfair of me to bring allegations, albeit well-known ones, into the discussion. Let's just focus on the facts.

Facts:

-Frost has 7 years and $35MM left on his contract
-The university is in the beginnings of a massive and expensive $155MM facilities expansion
-We're in the infant stages of an economic recovery from a world-wide pandemic that will nearly cripple some universities
-Nebraska has never fired a coach that has been owed more than $6.5MM in any buyout
-Bill Moos hired Scott Frost
-Nebraska hasn't had an AD fire the football coach he hired since before Bob Devaney coached here
-No college football coach in the history of the sport has ever been fired when owed more than $19MM
-Firing a football coach will lead to another recruiting transition class and the roster attrition associated with it
-Nebraska would be seeking its 6th coach in 20 years

Opinions:

-Nebraska could fire Scott Frost in 2021 or 2022

You're entitled to your opinion. Embrace it.

Last edited:
I'm not comparing them, I'm simply saying bigger secrets have been kept. I'm not surprised that you didn't pick up on the context there as you seem to fail to do so quite regularly.
You seem to have an amazing penchant for saying something incredibly stupid, then whining because someone didn't get what you "really" meant. Frank's social life wasn't "kept a secret," nor did it have a damn thing to do with him being fired as head coach. It's not my fault you pulled that squarely out of your butt as the reason for him being fired. So I'm sorry if I didn't "pick up on the context" of a completely ridiculous statement that made so sense whatsoever. My bad!

You seem to have an amazing penchant for saying something incredibly stupid, then whining because someone didn't get what you "really" meant. Frank's social life wasn't "kept a secret," nor did it have a damn thing to do with him being fired as head coach. It's not my fault you pulled that squarely out of your butt as the reason for him being fired. So I'm sorry if I didn't "pick up on the context" of a completely ridiculous statement that made so sense whatsoever. My bad!
That's the first time I've ever told anyone on this forum that they failed to pick up on my context. You've just made history.

And if you think I'm the first person to mention that Frank may have had some skeletons, welcome to the University of Nebraska fan base, you're gonna love it here.

I thought these alternates in 2012 were one of our better looking uni’s.. Two years ago were the worse ones despite trying to have look like 1900’s the jock strap helmet was the worst..

I dunno. I generally agree with the author on the 2012 alternates. NU's only "non-traditional" unis that I really liked were the '62 throwbacks. Those were terrific and I'd be fine with them coming back periodically. Maybe for sellout streak milestones?

49a522e877dcdddd8c85dc9b8b8ec961.jpg

EDIT: I looked up the "leather helmet" debacle of 2018. That stupid, horrible helmet aside, those were actually pretty good looking unis. Pretty similar to the '62 throwbacks aside from one having a cool helmet and one donning a "jock strap" as you say.

0037917-lkdo-1280x720.jpg

2018-alternate-uniforms.jpg

:eek:

Last edited:
I cannot tell you a coach in the history of college ATHLETICS, not just college football, that was fired without cause with 5+ years left on his or her contract, nonetheless one that was the 14th highest paid in their sport. (Does anyone know of one? I'm legitimately asking.)

It's a moot point because Frost is a good coach, but Nebraska paid a total of just over $25MM combined to fire Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and Riley. If Nebraska fired Frost at the end of 2022 after putting him on the hot seat in 2021 they'd owe him a lump sum of $25MM alone. It wouldn't be just another status quo firing.

Assuming no extensions:

2020 - 7 years, $35MM
2021 - 6 years, $30MM
2022 - 5 years, $25MM
2023 - 4 years, $20MM
2024 - "Hot Seat" talk should be tabled until here

If Frost stays with losing seasons for 4 straight seasons he will be the first.

If Frost stays with losing seasons for 4 straight seasons he will be the first.
It's been called a 5-year build by the people who hired him, but I'll take your opinion that it's only a 4-year task under advisement.

As I've said, this is all moot because Nebraska will win, but I got you added to the opinions list, Box.

Facts:

-The university is in the beginnings of a massive and expensive $155MM facilities expansion
-We're in the infant stages of an economic recovery from a world-wide pandemic that will nearly cripple some universities
-Nebraska has never fired a coach that has been owed more than $6.5MM in any buyout
-Nebraska hasn't had an AD fire the football coach he hired since before Bob Devaney coached here
-No college football coach in the history of the sport has ever been fired when owed more than $19MM
-Firing a football coach will lead to another recruiting transition class and the roster attrition associated with it

Opinions:

-Nebraska has to be a winner by year 4

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
If anyone thinks Frost winning only 5 games this season will not put him on the hot seat they have a big surprise coming. The money is not going to matter because there is already big money questioning him.

If anyone thinks Frost winning only 5 games this season will not put him on the hot seat they have a big surprise coming. The money is not going to matter because there is already big money questioning him.

Added.

Facts:

-Bill Jennings was fired after 5 consecutive losing seasons
-Scott Frost was the National Coach of the Year in 2017

Opinions:

-Nebraska has to win by year 4
-Big money donors are already questioning the Frost hire

Last edited:
Huskers did not have another coach fired since the Bob Devaney era started until two coaches ago either. Prior to Frost there was not a contract comparable to Frost's either!

Added.

Facts:

-No college football coach in the history of the sport has ever been fired when owed more that $19MM
-Firing a football coach will lead to another recruiting transition class and the attrition associated with it

Opinions:

f5bc02da6c4c36eae93d4a3cc1c59944.gif

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
Added.

Facts:

Opinions:

Fact:
Gene Chizik won the SEC West in 2010
Gene Chizik won the SEC Title in 2010
Gene Chizik won the National Title in 2010
Gene Chizik won Coach of the Year in 2010
Gene Chizik signed a 5 year extension in 2011
Gene Chizik FIRED for performance in 2012

Fact:
What was the buyout? It was $8.78 million and that included Chizik's assistants. Nebraska would have to pay more than twice that to buy out Frost if they fired him with four years left - which would be at the end of 2022, by the way. Regardless of how bad it theoretically gets in Lincoln, I don't think Nebraska wants to be ahead of Notre Dame's payout on Charlie Weiss. Nebraska's current administration may be a lot of things, but they're not morons.

Good example of a coach who was fired with four years left on his contract, though.

Last edited:
Fact:

Fact, we are not Auburn, and I think our fan base is growing tired of turnover.

Perhaps that was unfair of me to bring allegations, albeit well-known ones, into the discussion. Let's just focus on the facts.

Facts:

Opinions:

You're entitled to your opinion. Embrace it.

If it's purely an economic issue, (not saying it is) then sure, someone might think they could save a few bucks by keeping the coach another year or two.

However, you're talking about what used to be the cash cow. maybe still is one..

What is more stupid? Trying to save a few bucks keeping a coach who isn't winning and tarnishing the brand further, or trying to replace the guy and actually do something positive to reboot the program to try to get it going again.

It's like the guy who doesn't have a job saying, I will cut out my Netflix & Disney subscriptions, just to save some money, when what he really needs is a new job.

The first example is reactive and defensive, the second is proactive.

I get the penny pinching, but that should never have any bearing when it comes to the program and the success it demands.

Husker football should be bigger than Scott Frost, not the other way around.

If it's purely an economic issue, (not saying it is) then sure, someone might think they could save a few bucks by keeping the coach another year or two.

However, you're talking about what used to be the cash cow. maybe still is one..

What is more stupid? Trying to save a few bucks keeping a coach who isn't winning and tarnishing the brand further, or trying to replace the guy and actually do something positive to reboot the program to try to get it going again.

It's like the guy who doesn't have a job saying, I will cut out my Netflix & Disney subscriptions, just to save some money, when what he really needs is a new job.

The first example is reactive and defensive, the second is proactive.

I get the penny pinching, but that should never have any bearing when it comes to the program and the success it demands.

Husker football should be bigger than Scott Frost, not the other way around.

The thing is that Frost isn't tarnishing the brand. Firing coaches every 4 years for two decades is. If anything Frost is the brand.

Who's coaching DONU after Frost? Who's the sixth guy? Better hope the Bengals bomb and their coach wants to take a chance at reviving his college because nobody's begging to come in and be given a 3-4 year time line knowing we canned our own legend and another guy who averaged 9.5 wins a year in the last decade.

The thing is that Frost isn't tarnishing the brand. Firing coaches every 4 years for two decades is. If anything Frost is the brand.

Who's coaching DONU after Frost? Who's the sixth guy? Better hope the Bengals bomb and their coach wants to take a chance at reviving his college because nobody's begging to come in and be given a 3-4 year time line knowing we canned our own legend and another guy who averaged 9.5 wins a year in the last decade.
Scott has done a lot of damage already. From not being able to back up his big talk, to how he has treated players he inheretid and and some other questionable things said within the conference.

But mainly it's the poor play on the field. Nationwide everyone knows Nebraska is a joke, and the football world laughs about it.

Too many of you guys live in the fishbowl and don't see things from a perspective that is outside the state.

There will always be someone willing to take on the challenge of coaching the huskers.

A losing mentality, would be to think the way you are.. as you just make it an excuse not to try to do better. You want the fan base to accept mediocrity. That comes from such a bad place in my opinion.

I still think the B1G was the nail in the coffin for the program, and now we got fans like you who want people accept defeat.

Scott has done a lot of damage already. From not being able to back up his big talk, to how he has treated players he inheretid and and some other questionable things said within the conference.

But mainly it's the poor play on the field. Nationwide everyone knows Nebraska is a joke, and the football world laughs about it.

Too many of you guys live in the fishbowl and don't see things from a perspective that is outside the state.

There will always be someone willing to take on the challenge of coaching the huskers.

A losing mentality, would be to think the way you are.. as you just make it an excuse not to try to do better. You want the fan base to accept mediocrity. That comes from such a bad place in my opinion.
No, I don't want the fan base to accept mediocrity.

I want the fan base to understand that setting arbitrary deadlines for success or the pitchforks are coming out has contributed to the failure of the program.

Bill Moos hoped for 6 wins last year. The team only got 5. It's fair to be disappointed.
I won't go into detail at the praises from the people who call or cover the team, both nationally and locally, but it's almost universally high praise for Coach Frost.
Recruiting appears to be at a level we haven't seen in over a decade.

The wins need to come, but the only people who are laughing at Nebraska are hiding behind an anonymous username in places like this. That's not to say there's not criticism out there, which is also fair, but it's not criticism that says Nebraska needs to look elsewhere for a coach anytime soon.

As for people willing to take on the challenge of coaching here, since Solich was fired (if you're throwing Frost away), Nebraska is 0-3, with a sacrifice bunt in Pelini but they haven't hit on anyone to get them a run.

Personally, and this one goes on the opinions list, Frost is the guy to do it whether or not Nebraska wins none or every one next year. People who don't understand that opinion need to have things explained to them why it also makes no sense from the business side of things either.

I still think the B1G was the nail in the coffin for the program, and now we got fans like you who want people accept defeat.
I, too, gleaned nothing but the acceptance of mediocrity and unwillingness to do better from that series of posts

oh, wait, nowhere is there anything even close to that, anywhere. every fan wants to win. a vast majority think Coach Frost (the amount of disrespect you continuously insist upon by calling him by his first name like you're his father sure is something) is the guy who'll win here consistently. if he doesn't, they'll think the same about the next coach and the next one.

talk about seeing the world through diarrhea colored glasses. your vitriol for the head coach seems to have caused your brain to short circuit every time you see anything at odds with your bizarre view of the program.

sorry your feelings are hurt. sorry vedral couldn't cut it and quit the team.

if he can't turn us into a winner, he won't last. I hope that's not the case, but at the end of the day a fan is a fan whether the team is 12-0 or 0-12.

Last edited:
No, I don't want the fan base to accept mediocrity.

I want the fan base to understand that setting arbitrary deadlines for success or the pitchforks are coming out has contributed to the failure of the program.

Bill Moos hoped for 6 wins last year. The team only got 5. It's fair to be disappointed.
I won't go into detail at the praises from the people who call or cover the team, both nationally and locally, but it's almost universally high praise for Coach Frost.
Recruiting appears to be at a level we haven't seen in over a decade.

The wins need to come, but the only people who are laughing at Nebraska are hiding behind an anonymous username in places like this. That's not to say there's not criticism out there, which is also fair, but it's not criticism that says Nebraska needs to look elsewhere for a coach anytime soon.

As for people willing to take on the challenge of coaching here, since Solich was fired (if you're throwing Frost away), Nebraska is 0-3, with a sacrifice bunt in Pelini but they haven't hit on anyone to get them a run.

Personally, and this one goes on the opinions list, Frost is the guy to do it whether or not Nebraska wins none or every one next year. People who don't understand that opinion need to have things explained to them why it also makes no sense from the business side of things either.
How do you know he is the guy to do it? Just because he was a successful QB here his senior year? Or what part of this needs to be explained as to why you think he is some saint or messiah and the only person capable for the role?

We've never had a coach do so poorly the first 2 years in modern times.

While true, he might turn it around, but what if this year is a step back? Then what? Are you going to give him another extension and just tell people to be patient? That Scott is the messiah and they must have faith that one day he will return to resurrect the program that has floundered even worse under his watch.

I'm waiting for him to call out the miracle healer and pretty soon we will be asked to tithe the program some more too. (half kidding, but maybe that new OC will help)

You talk about being realistic, Bill Moos only said that 6 win thing, part way through the year when things were already looking pretty rocky. I'm pretty sure that wasn't his expectation before the season started.

We only gave smiling Mike 3 years, and maybe that is all Scott gets too if this season is another disaster.

I, too, gleaned nothing but the acceptance of mediocrity and unwillingness to do better from that series of posts

oh, wait, nowhere is there anything even close to that, anywhere. every fan wants to win. a vast majority think Coach Frost (the amount of disrespect you continuously insist upon by calling him by his first name like you're his father sure is something) is the guy who'll win here consistently. if he doesn't, they'll think the same about the next coach and the next one.

talk about seeing the world the diarrhea colored glasses. your vitriol for the head coach seems to have caused your brain to short circuit every time you see anything at odds with your bizarre view of the program.

sorry your feelings are hurt. sorry vedral couldn't cut it and quit the team.

if he can't turn us into a winner, he won't last. I hope that's not the case, but at the end of the day a fan is a fan whether the team is 12-0 or 0-12.
sounds like you are pretty butthurt already.. so not sure what is so hard to understand about back to back losing seasons by a head coach.. and apparently you, mr. superfan, thinks you make the rules. Sure we could have used Vedral to backup Luke this year. That was another coaching failure in my opinion, but your bizarre ability to see 4-8, and 5-7 as some sort of rallying cry to get behind, when a normal fan would be outraged, then yes, things have taken the worst turn into the dumpster of ideology and mediocrity.

sounds like you are pretty butthurt already.. so not sure what is so hard to understand about back to back losing seasons by a head coach.. and apparently you, mr. superfan, thinks you make the rules. Sure we could have used Vedral to backup Luke this year. That was another coaching failure in my opinion, but your bizarre ability to see 4-8, and 5-7 as some sort of rallying cry to get behind, when a normal fan would be outraged, then yes, things have taken the worst turn into the dumpster of ideology and mediocrity.
So you consider yourself a "normal fan"?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
How do you know he is the guy to do it? Just because he was a successful QB here his senior year? Or what part of this needs to be explained as to why you think he is some saint or messiah and the only person capable for the role?

While true, he might turn it around, but what if this year is a step back? Then what? Are you going to give him another extension and just tell people to be patient? That Scott is the messiah and they must have faith that one day he will return to resurrect the program that has floundered even worse under his watch.

I'm waiting for him to call out the miracle healer and pretty soon we will be asked to tithe the program some more too. (half kidding, but maybe that new OC will help)

You talk about being realistic, Bill Moos only said that 6 win thing, part way through the year when things were already looking pretty rocky. I'm pretty sure that wasn't his expectation before the season started.

We only gave smiling Mike 3 years, and maybe that is all Scott gets too if this season is another disaster.

Interesting, I didn't realize July was part way through the season:
https://theticketfm.com/early-break...tball-in-2019-are-you-surprised-to-hear-that/

Last edited:
Reactions: hedonistimpulse
I'm not really responding to this post, as I know it wasn't directed toward me. But here's an honest question for you: Do you think Frost could put up two more losing seasons and face absolutely no possibility of being fired? I sure don't.

I don't want Frost to fail, nor do I want him fired. But a 19-29 record (or worse) over four years sure looks like hot seat territory to me.

I'm not really responding to this post, as I know it wasn't directed toward me. But here's an honest question for you: Do you think Frost could put up two more losing seasons and face absolutely no possibility of being fired? I sure don't.

I don't want Frost to fail, nor do I want him fired. But a 19-29 record (or worse) over four years sure looks like hot seat territory to me.
anyone out there think I'm a sunshine pumper or think everyone involved shouldn't be judged by their record or held accountable? I'd love to hear from folks who read my posts, of which there are many, without their own filter applied and have come to that conclusion.

I'm hopeful things change. I fully understand that we blow today and only wins will change that. I am very much aware we have no top-of-the-conference talent. I did not expect to win the B1G the second we hired a new coach. I do expect to return to that level of competition and stay there within the next 3 years. if we don't, the axe will fall. I am not okay with even bo pelini level of moderate success. we are Nebraska.

as for @schuele's question, I do not think he can comfortably put up 2 more losing seasons without feeling significant pressure, nor should he be able to.

Last edited:

Bill Moos said that before any games were played (B1G Media Days on July 18) and Riley wasn't fired with $30MM owed as Frost would be after his 3rd season. Their situations aren't comparable for a lot of reasons, but that's the simplest one.

But, the reasons I believe in Frost?

1) Yes, because he played here during TO's best years. He ate, slept, and breathed the journey of getting Nebraska to its peak. Frost also had the sense to recognize Nebraska stumbling and call it out, noting that our Taj Mahal had been turned into a three-bedroom ranch way back in 2005.

2) He was coached by three HOFers (Walsh, Osborne, Parcells) and a 4th guy (Belichick) who will be there, and a 5th who has a shot (Tomlin) and that's as impressive of an understudy program as there is in football history for a head coach.

3) He played offense and defense at the highest levels of college sports and understands both sides of the ball.

4) He's won everywhere he's been as a position/assistant coach.

5) He's had real success as a college head coach as he's one of only a handful of guys in the game who can say he's led a D1 team to an unbeaten season.

6) I trust his plan (Oregon Speed mixed with Husker Power) and I can see what he's doing in recruiting - big, mutant OL who all redshirt, QBs who are athletes who will also RS as he plans to get one every year, multi-position WRs, and edge rush linebackers that are long and twitchy. What he's doing is clear and I think it's a heck of a plan.

7) He can tell a kid that he can get him to the League and what's it like because he was a 3rd-round pick. He can also tell the same kid that he's going to be on a team that scores a ton because he's been on a bunch of them as a player and a coach. He can also tell that kid what it's like choosing to transfer or attend college out of state because he's lived it. He's uniquely qualified in a lot of valuable ways and it contributes to my belief in him as a coach.

8) He's shown he will try to address an issue (WR depth, LBs, special teams) and his assistants are loyal to him (Fisher staying and Dawson coming back).

9) And let's just call it intuition.

The only thing he hasn't done is win and the only place he hasn't done that is here. And if he doesn't, I'll own my statements where I said he would.

Last edited:
Have you seen our schedule the next 2 years and current talent level... 500 winning % might actually be progress
I don't really buy the schedule being tough argument, just the defeatist attitude Smiling Mike gave us. The conference can't all be juggernauts. Only sure loses this year are OSU and Pedo, OU and OSU in 2021.

Simpleton thoughts allowed this thread to get way off course. Coach Frost's hyped hype video was perhaps a disappointment, but only because it was hyped.

These are two of my favorites. Enjoy:

How was losing Vederal a coaching failure? Did you read Noah's interview with the LJS? He wanted to try and beat out Martinez but corona shutdown practices. There was no keeping him unless we were going to declare him the starter this spring. He saw the writing on the wall. We have an unproven but very talented qb room. I wouldn't be surprised if Noah is back as a GA or intern in a few years.

How was losing Vederal a coaching failure? Did you read Noah's interview with the LJS? He wanted to try and beat out Martinez but corona shutdown practices. There was no keeping him unless we were going to declare him the starter this spring. He saw the writing on the wall. We have an unproven but very talented qb room. I wouldn't be surprised if Noah is back as a GA or intern in a few years.
pass. vedral showed all we need to see about his character.

he couldn't come close to hacking it last year, then quit. we need less vedrals, not more.

well it seems silly to even consider AM in my opinion.. Luke is new, but promising. I would have thought keeping Noah around to back him up, or even start would be preferable to having the mental cancer even on the team.

Vedral is apparently very tight and loyal to Frost, followed him up here, so it's weird to see that he would leave like that.. tells me he doesn't agree with whatever is going on with the QB position, but good for Noah on the Rutgers gig, that degree will mean a lot more than the one from Lincoln, and he won't have to be in a situation where everything starts falling apart as soon as the season starts, so there is that.

well it seems silly to even consider AM in my opinion.. Luke is new, but promising. I would have thought keeping Noah around to back him up, or even start would be preferable to having the mental cancer even on the team.

Vedral is apparently very tight and loyal to Frost, followed him up here, so it's weird to see that he would leave like that.. tells me he doesn't agree with whatever is going on with the QB position, but good for Noah on the Rutgers gig, that degree will mean a lot more than the one from Lincoln, and he won't have to be in a situation where everything starts falling apart as soon as the season starts, so there is that.
He's leaving while he is still an attractive transfer qb.......

A career backup with 2 years to start is much more attractive than a possible 1 year starter who was never able to win the job. QBs transfer. Its 2020. What is Frost supposed to do? Blackmail him into staying? I'm sure georgia would love to keep Fields or bama Hurts. The days of backup qbs sticking around are done. That's why you recruit a new one every year.

Read all the responses, then watched it for the first time...you would have thought it contained bestiality with the way some people reacted to it...I didn't think it was to bad actually.

It wasn’t bad at all, I liked it. On Twitter if got a bunch of likes and retweet’s. On this board, I swear we are surrounded by old men.... :(

Rutgers football: well known for not falling apart when the season starts.

ADVERTISEMENT