ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Frost Tweet

There's no exactly. If SCOTT FROST goes FIVE WINS this season then he will be on the HOT SEAT next year at this time.
It would be a ridiculously stupid economic decision.

Fans can be shortsighted and pound the table out of frustration, but the guys pulling the strings are very cerebral and deliberate in their decisions.

There's also a calculated reason Frost's boss gave him an extension in October, but you're welcome to your opinion.

It would be a ridiculously stupid economic decision.

Fans can be shortsighted and pound the table out of frustration, but the guys pulling the strings are very cerebral and deliberate in their decisions.

There's also a calculated reason Frost's boss gave him an extension in October, but you're welcome to your opinion.

I believe Scott Frost is the right man for the job. I also believe that this is a total rebuild. But if Frost only wins 5 wins in year 3 he will be on the hot seat at this time next year. Hot seat does not mean firing.

I believe Scott Frost is the right man for the job. I also believe that this is a total rebuild. But if Frost only wins 5 wins in year 3 he will be on the hot seat at this time next year. Hot seat does not mean firing.
Hot seat implies that he's lined up to be fired, though.

Firing Frost with 7,6,5, or 4 years left makes no sense economically (that's at minimum a $20MM hit on Frost, plus his assistant's salaries, plus the cost of hiring a new coach - we're probably looking at a $30MM hit if he was canned prior to the 2023 season) and as much as you may or may not believe in the guy, it's a business first.

Factor in that the university has to come up with $155MM for new facilities and a plan to make up the lost earnings caused by Covid-19 this year, too.

So, if you think Frost is getting put on notice in the next three years, you're wrong. I can't spell it out any clearer than that.

Last edited:
This video would have gotten me so pumped the last two years.
Right! Thats why I was so surprised the mini hype videos only promoted a bigger hype video. Hype videos have been a plenty the last 2 years. This one was cool but not worth a week of hype and mystique. At this point I think most of Husker land are on the same line of thinking with hype videos.... Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. The hype videos are cool but lose the affect after 3 losing season, just get it done on the field.

Reactions: blackbones
And then think of the football optics. Headline - "Nebraska Fires Native Son with 5 Years Left on Contract".

Who's coming in after that? Nebraska would have to hire a retread with five years left in the tank or an unknown who would look at us as a stepping stone, we'd suffer through yet another transition recruiting class and the attrition associated with a coaching change, and probably have to adopt a service academy approach to offense.

Frost is being given the time to build this in his image because if he doesn't succeed Nebraska probably won't win anything meaningful again in our lifetimes. I'm not trying to be hyperbolic, just a realist.

Right! Thats why I was so surprised the mini hype videos only promoted a bigger hype video. Hype videos have been a plenty the last 2 years. This one was cool but not worth a week of hype and mystique. At this point I think most of Husker land are on the same line of thinking with hype videos.... Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. The hype videos are cool but lose the affect after 3 losing season, just get it done on the field.

I agree. We have the best content creative team in the country. We just need to bring the best players through “those walls”.

The "N" at the end reminded me of the Netflix logo a little...

The Athletic recently did a list of the best and worst alternates. NU's "Team Netflix" gear made the list of undesirables.

Nebraska’s football program can claim a long history of success, tradition and pride. The Cornhuskers also have a storied tradition of terrible, terrible alternate uniforms. None were uglier than what Nebraska wore against Wisconsin on Sept. 29, 2012. Just look at the Big “N” on the jersey. The helmet looks like it could be the official helmet for Team Netflix. It’s just an all-around bad look that we should wipe from our memories.

FB-vs-Wisconsin-Bartunek-4013-scaled-e1588010971899.jpg

Reactions: ncaalover12
The Athletic recently did a list of the best and worst alternates. NU's "Team Netflix" gear made the list of undesirables.

Nebraska’s football program can claim a long history of success, tradition and pride. The Cornhuskers also have a storied tradition of terrible, terrible alternate uniforms. None were uglier than what Nebraska wore against Wisconsin on Sept. 29, 2012. Just look at the Big “N” on the jersey. The helmet looks like it could be the official helmet for Team Netflix. It’s just an all-around bad look that we should wipe from our memories.

S. Long & Jano look to be opening up a nice hole on this play.

I thought these alternates in 2012 were one of our better looking uni’s.. Two years ago were the worse ones despite trying to have look like 1900’s the jock strap helmet was the worst..

And then think of the football optics. Headline - "Nebraska Fires Native Son with 5 Years Left on Contract".

Who's coming in after that? Nebraska would have to hire a retread with five years left in the tank or an unknown who would look at us as a stepping stone, we'd suffer through yet another transition recruiting class and the attrition associated with a coaching change, and probably have to adopt a service academy approach to offense.

Frost is being given the time to build this in his image because if he doesn't succeed Nebraska probably won't win anything meaningful again in our lifetimes. I'm not trying to be hyperbolic, just a realist.
I think Frost is on a long leash, and his seat probably won't get beyond lukewarm until at least 2021. But Nebraska paying a coach a crapload of money to go away isn't going to impact its ability to hire a replacement. ADs throw other peoples' money at coaches all the time in the form of lucrative extensions, then fire them anyway. I really want Frost to succeed at NU, but the notion that his contract insulates him from being fired is nonsense.

I think Frost is on a long leash, and his seat probably won't get beyond lukewarm until at least 2021. But Nebraska paying a coach a crapload of money to go away isn't going to impact its ability to hire a replacement. ADs throw other peoples' money at coaches all the time in the form of lucrative extensions, then fire them anyway. I really want Frost to succeed at NU, but the notion that his contract insulates him from being fired is nonsense.

I cannot tell you a coach in the history of college ATHLETICS, not just college football, that was fired without cause with 5+ years left on his or her contract, nonetheless one that was the 14th highest paid in their sport. (Does anyone know of one? I'm legitimately asking.)

It's a moot point because Frost is a good coach, but Nebraska paid a total of just over $25MM combined to fire Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and Riley. If Nebraska fired Frost at the end of 2022 after putting him on the hot seat in 2021 they'd owe him a lump sum of $25MM alone. It wouldn't be just another status quo firing.

Assuming no extensions:

2020 - 7 years, $35MM
2021 - 6 years, $30MM
2022 - 5 years, $25MM
2023 - 4 years, $20MM
2024 - "Hot Seat" talk should be tabled until here

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I cannot tell you a coach in the history of college ATHLETICS, not just college football, that was fired without cause with 5+ years left on his or her contract, nonetheless one that was the 14th highest paid in their sport. (Does anyone know of one? I'm legitimately asking.)

It's a moot point because Frost is a good coach, but Nebraska paid a total of just over $25MM combined to fire Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and Riley. If Nebraska fired Frost in 2022 after putting him on the hot seat in 2021 they'd owe him a lump sum of $25MM alone. It wouldn't be a status quo move, it would be something that sent shockwaves through the sport.

Assuming no extensions:

2020 - 7 years, $35MM
2021 - 6 years, $30MM
2022 - 5 years, $25MM
2023 - 4 years, $20MM
2024- "Hot Seat" talk should be tabled until here

And we'd look like impetuous children.

It's a moot point because Frost is a good coach, but Nebraska paid a total of just over $25MM combined to fire Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and Riley. If Nebraska fired Frost in 2022 after putting him on the hot seat in 2021 they'd owe him a lump sum of $25MM alone. It wouldn't be a status quo move, it would be something that sent shockwaves through the sport.

Assuming no extensions:

2020 - 7 years, $35MM
2021 - 6 years, $30MM
2022 - 5 years, $25MM
2023 - 4 years, $20MM

The most recent Head Coach that I could think of would have been Charlie Weis that had the biggest buy out at Notre Dame..

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
I think Scott thinks he can sandbag the first couple of years, because he got such a long 7 year deal in the beginning.

The problem is the fanbase may not give him the same amount of time, and it's already fracturing a bit for some people.

Nothing proves to me that Scott is a good coach at all. Good coaches are about being consistent and winning. Scott did have a special year at UCF, but if you look at consistency, he's been consistently bad so far as a head coach.

What happens this year, is going set the tone if he is truly rebuilding, or circling the drain.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
And we'd look like impetuous children.
And it would essentially prove that nobody can win at Nebraska and the administration will fire anyone at any time and then we'd be "attracting" guys like Will Healy, but hoping to land a "big fish" like Billy Napier or Seth Littrell. We'd also see every south Florida signee pack up his things and go and we'd likely get years of nothing out of the state.

In other words, it'd be a disaster.

Last edited:
The most recent Head Coach that I could think of would have been Charlie Weis that had the biggest buy out at Notre Dame..
That's a good call. Turns out Weiss had 6 years left on his contract, so there is precedence.

Jim McElwain had some years left at Florida too, but I don't know how many. I think it was four, but it may have been five because he left awfully quick. Slick Willie T. at FSU as well.

Last edited:

Assuming no extensions:

2020 - 7 years, $35MM
2021 - 6 years, $30MM
2022 - 5 years, $25MM
2023 - 4 years, $20MM

So you think if the results on the field have NU contemplating Frost's firing in 2022, the $10 million gift basket Moos gave him is going to make that impossible? I don't.

you bring up a good point.. find some dirt on the next guy you want to fire before you do it.. seems that is the way to play the game.. not be all stupid and make these massive payments.

So you think if the results on the field have NU contemplating Frost's firing in 2022, the $10 million gift basket Moos gave him is going to make that impossible? I don't.

If it were only $10MM it wouldn't be that big of an issue, but it's the other $15MM plus that would be owed that really gets my attention.

For reference, Willie Taggert was owed $17MM over four years when fired by FSU. He's really the best comparison based on annual earnings (15th highest paid coach) and length of contract. That was the second biggest buyout in CFB history. The first? Charlie Weis who was owed $19MM over six years by Notre Dame.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/c...rt-fired-fsu-to-pay-millions-in-buyout-money/

You feel like Nebraska would be willing to make history to take a $25MM hit?

Last edited:
If it were only $10MM it wouldn't be that big of an issue, but it's the other $15MM plus that would be owed that really gets my attention.
Yeah, it's a God-awful amount of money for sure. But my point is that if the program is really in such a bad state 2-3 years from now that Frost's firing is under serious consideration, Moos doubling down on him back in 2019 isn't going to save him. I don't think it will come to that, and I certainly hope it doesn't, but I don't buy the idea that Frost has four more years before the coaching seat gets hot.

Yeah, it's a God-awful amount of money for sure. But my point is that if the program is really in such a bad state 2-3 years from now that Frost's firing is under serious consideration, Moos doubling down on him back in 2019 isn't going to save him. I don't think it will come to that, and I certainly hope it doesn't, but I don't buy the idea that Frost has four more years before the coaching seat gets hot.

Well, if he's fired any time prior to 2024 it'll be the biggest buyout in college football history.

It Was designed after Dominos Pizza Noid commercial . Netflix graphics came out after this

For reference, Willie Taggert was owed $17MM over four years when fired by FSU. He's really the best comparison based on annual earnings (15th highest paid coach) and length of contract. That was the second biggest buyout in CFB history. The first? Charlie Weis who was owed $19MM over six years by Notre Dame.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/c...rt-fired-fsu-to-pay-millions-in-buyout-money/

You feel like Nebraska would be willing to make history to take a $25MM hit?
If the product on the field has NU seriously contemplating Frost's firing, you think the powers that be are going to decide to keep him because they don't want to break Willie Taggart's buyout record? Okay, you win.

If the product on the field has NU seriously contemplating Frost's firing, you think the powers that be are going to decide to keep him because they don't want to break Willie Taggart's buyout record? Okay, you win.

You think HCSF is going to go from having the administration's total support and the backing of TO to being ushered out in the next 18-36 months?

We're both speaking in hypotheticals here, but my hypothetical is backed up by years of what has or hasn't happened to college coaches. Schools simply don't buy out coaches who are owed over $20MM. Yes, the value of a dollar changes over time, but it's literally never happened....but you're saying a program on the hook for $155MM in new facilities and one that is trying to recover from the worst economic crisis in a generation is gonna bite that bullet on that landmark firing in the next two to three years because Nebraska didn't play in the Meineke Car Care Bowl soon enough? Okay, you win.

Last edited:
You think HCSF is going to go from having the administration's total support and the backing of TO to being ushered out in the next 18 months? Okay, you win.

We're both speaking in hypotheticals here, but my hypothetical is backed up by years of what has or hasn't happened to college coaches. Teams simply don't buy out coaches who are owed over $20MM. Yes, the value of a dollar changes over time, but it's literally never happened.
No, I don't - because I think the product on the field will get better. But if somehow it doesn't, the extra $10 million in Frost's parachute isn't going to save him.

As for the backing of TO, you'll have to ask Frank Solich and Bo Pelini whether that enhances one's job security.

No, I don't - because I think the product on the field will get better. But if somehow it doesn't, the extra $10 million in Frost's parachute isn't going to save him.

As for the backing of TO, you'll have to ask Frank Solich and Bo Pelini whether that enhances one's job security.
You'll have to let me know when Frost starts getting real close to the cheer squad or feels the need to create an us versus the university rift within his team. Let me know when Bill Moos' and TO's relationship devolves into one similar to the ones he had with Pederson and Eichorst, too.

As I've said, it's not the $10MM that I'm focusing on, it's the other $15MM plus. I'm also focusing on historical practice and economic context which you're completely ignoring.

Last edited:
You'll have to let me know when Frost starts getting real close to the cheer squad or feels the need to create an us versus the university rift within his team, too.

As I've said, it's not the $10MM that I'm focusing on, it's the other $15MM plus. I'm also focusing on historical practice and economic context which you're completely ignoring.
Yeah Frank's womanizing caught up with him after 25 years on campus. It was a huge secret until 2003, but then it cost him his job. Good Lord.

Yeah Frank's womanizing caught up with him after 25 years on campus. It was a huge secret until 2003, but then it cost him his job. Good Lord.
I really don't know if that happened with Solich, but look at the Dr. at MSU and then Sandusky. Don't tell me that because you didn't hear about something earlier that it's a ridiculous allegation. There's been a lot of talk over the years, I don't think we need to get into that.

Regardless, Bill Moos is not Steve Pederson and unlike Pederson, who didn't hire Solich nor Eichorst who didn't hire Pelini, Moos picked Frost. If you're going to ignore that key piece, I'll place that on the list of things you're glossing over because it destroys your unfounded opinion.

I really don't know if that happened with Solich, but look at the Dr. at MSU and then Sandusky. Don't tell me that because you didn't hear about something earlier that it's a ridiculous allegation. There's been a lot of talk over the years, I don't think we need to get into that.

Regardless, Bill Moos is not Steve Pederson and unlike Pederson, who didn't hire Solich nor Eichorst who didn't hire Pelini, Moos picked Frost. If you're going to ignore that key piece, I'll place that on the list of things you're glossing over because it destroys your unfounded opinion.
If you don't know what happened with Solich, why on Earth did you imply that he was fired for some scandal involving the cheer squad? And while Frank's banging of coeds was the worst-kept secret on campus for more than 20 years, comparing him Jerry Sandusky is perhaps the single dumbest thing I've ever read here - and that's saying something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT